Cover Image: Saturdays at Noon

Saturdays at Noon

A beautiful, heart wrenching story that takes you to the anger management class that takes place on Saturday at noon. Jake attends as he’s trying to keep his marriage (and family) from falling apart. He’s really struggling being a good dad to his 6 year old son Alfie whose difficult and demanding behaviour leaves him feeling like a failure and very frustrated. Emily attends, the result of a broken home with trust issues and is very angry about what’s happened to her. The story pulls  you in, as through Jake, Emily and Alfie’s viewpoint you see the world from their eyes. And it’s all the more heartbreaking - they’re all struggling, they’re all lonely and they’re all frustrated. But then they’re brought together after Alfie takes an unusual shine to Emily, and then they evolve into more of their own little family. This is an engaging story that left me wanting more. More of Emily and Jake as they trade snarky remarks with each other and the passion that’s building between them, and more Emily and Alfie as they bond and she helps to understand him more. Rachel Marks brilliantly gives voices to each of these different, but yet similar characters. I’ll be looking out for more books from Rachel!
Do not mistake this book for a run of the mill rom-com.

Emily meets Jake at an anger management class that they both have to attend.  Emily, by order of the court and Jake, by order of his wife.
Unfortunately Jakes son Alfie has taken rather a shine to Emily and the 3 of them spend a lot of time together for the benefit of Alfie and neither Emily and Jake are happy about this.

The 3 main characters of this book are written SO well.  What I particularly liked was the fact that there wasn't a character who was "the right one" or "the main one".  They all had a voice and they all used it.   Every single one of them.   There are times when I found myself both cheering for all of them and other times, I would hold my head in my hands wishing to be able to bang heads together.     We discover how difficult relationships can be once you have a child, how bloody hard being a parent can be and how sometimes, life just doesn't turn out how you thought it would be, through no fault of your own.

The fact that this book was set in my home town also helped and the character of Alfie is going to stay with me for a very long time.
This book was not what I expected at all. I think when I read that it was set at an anger management class that I'd conjured up a very different plot in my head! I was very pleasantly surprised by how charming and uplifting this book is. Jake, Emily and especially little Alfie are brilliantly created and written characters and you can't help but want things to work out for them. Anyone who has a child with autism, or indeed any issue that isn't diagnosed, will identify with Jake's frustrations, guilt and blame. I really loved it and can imagine it being on screen.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Jake and Emily meet at an anger management course. They're fully rounded characters that propel the story forward into a satisfying read. I enjoyed it. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me review.
A wonderful story of being different, love, family and acceptance. The characters are beautifully flawed and very believable - I loved their quirks and authenticity. Definitely one to read.
A beautiful book. Neither Jake nor Emily are sympathetic characters at first. Gradually as their relationship blooms through Jake's son Alfie I came to warm them both.
This is a gorgeous read; a very easy read, one for an afternoon on the sofa when you've got nowhere to be. I think the plot is fairly easy to work out early on but that doesn't really matter. I would put this alongside something like The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry in terms of how quickly the reader can make a connection with characters and become invested in their stories. This isn't a brain stretch or deep think of a book but more of an old favourite cardigan - warming and comforting and just what you need sometimes! Would look out for future books by Rachel Marks as if this is what we can expect I'll always be in the market for it.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Loved the main main characters and seeing their relationship develop over the course of the book. Loved the messages it had about acceptance and tolerance.
I was immediately interested in this book as it is quite rare to find a fiction book focusing on pathological demand avoidance, specifically.

The story focuses on a man and woman who meet at an anger manager course. I jumped to assumptions about both of them and then as you peel the layers of the story away, you see the truth behind why they are both there.

The description and detail around Alfie, the little boy at the heart of the story, is spot on and it is evident that the author has taken the time to really understand PDA, the triggers and the strategies required.

I also liked that the stereotypical mother and father roles are challenged in this story too. I found the characters to be relatable and authentic and I was willing them on to find some kind of peace with their situations.

Overall a great read and it brings PDA to the forefront which is great!

Thank you to @netgalley and @penguinukbooks for the opportunity to review.

#libraryatsevern #bookstagrammer #readersofinstagram #bookstagrammer #igreads #bookshelf #goodreads #bookstagram #netgalley #reader #saturdaysatnoon #penguinukbooks
I absolutely loved it!
This novel rotates around two characters, Emily and Jake.
Well, three. There is Alfie too.
Emily has issues. You can tell immediately, and not because of where we meet the characters. Every choice she makes seems to be destined to keep the world away from her.
Meanwhile, Jake is at the end of his tether. His son is more than he can handle and it kills him inside, because he does love him. He just doesn't know how to deal with him, which is hard work when you are the parent staying at home caring for him. His wife, meanwhile, has a successful career and relies on him to fully take care of their son, Alfie.
And then there is Alfie. Alfie is a six year old boy with very particular ideas of how he wants things done. It's not always easy on everybody else, but there is little he can do about it. He struggles with other people. Until he meets Emily.
All three characters meet at Anger Management, where Alfie takes a shining to Emily. While Alfie and Emily get closer and closer, Jake and his wife get farther apart.
There is so much about this book that I loved. The characters are complex and individual. They're backstories are much richer than the novel reveals to us, but it's glimpsed at through the way the characters are developed.
Alfie is probably the crowning achievement of this novel. While he is a child, his character is no less complex. Some authors might have only used his character as the pivotal element, but Rachel Marks doesn't go there. His persona is as well developed as everybody else in the story.
The writing is also well executed, but then again, this is Penguin we're talking about, it's what we have come to expect from the Publishing powerhouse.
I'm not going to lie, I don't know that I would have picked the book off the shelf, had I seen it in the bookshop, and yet I can't recommend the story more.
The perspective of the father that stays home is well executed too, but not gratuitous. This is not an empty gesture at trying to be progressive, the challenges of being a stay at home dad, as opposed to a stay at home mum, are there.
This book is about relationships. As simple as that. Whether between parents and children, between estranged parents, between old friends and new friends. Between children and adults. It's a beautiful, fulfilling story and I am happy I decided to read it. Great story and I hope you all decide to read it too.
this is an interesting story told from a different angle. You don't typically hear about the struggles a stay at home father faces with a child.  Although I found the characters to be relatable and likable, I did feel certain parts were a bit repetitive. I would have liked certain parts to be developed or addressed further (such as the reliance on alcohol for stress relief?)
A good read full of important issues! Covering self esteem and acceptance, something that seems more and more pivotal in this day and age. The book is full of moments all holding an important and somewhat personal message.

The characters are likeable and no one character fades into the background which in this genre can sometimes happen.

Even though this is not my 'usual' style of book, I found it really enjoyable and it was one of those that sits in your brain whilst not reading it... a proper bookworm!

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for the ARC.

3.5*
A delightful, if slightly cheesy, read. Lots of dark and at times inappropriate humour. Brilliant characters,  I especially like that Alfie was also given a chance to have his thoughts heard. Very well written and hard to find fault with.
This is such a special book. The plot line is slightly predictable, but the characters jump off the page and pull you immediately into their world. There are smiles and lumps in throat aplenty, and the book is light, easy to read and compulsive.

Highly recommended.
Gorgeously readable book, this heartwarming and moving book nevertheless packs a series of emotonal punches in the way it handles trauma, love, family, parenting and addiction. Brilliantly written with a vividly depicted cast of characters you can't help but grow to love, I found I could hardly put it down. Highly recommend!
The author has achieved something quite rare - the story just leaps off the page. It offers so much from humour to learning about acceptance.
Plot is well written.
Great read.
Thank you to both NetGalley and Penguin Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review
Starting at an Anger Management group held every Saturday at Noon, this book is a breath of fresh air. I found it funny, charming and moving.
The three main characters, Emily, Jake and gorgeous little Alfie are very real. They are all challenged and flawed in their own ways but so likeable. I was cheering them on from start to finish.
The book provides an insight into family life, the vulnerabilities and damage that is so often done, but how love ultimately makes all the difference.
I really enjoyed it.
Thank you to @NetGalley and Rachel Marks for the opportunity to read an early copy.
What a lovely story, one full of relatable charming characters (with the exception of one !) along with introducing the reader to the trials and joy of being around an autistic child.
Rachel  Marks the author has through her own experiences written the  character of Archie so beautifully  I just wanted to give him a cuddle and be his 'best bug'.
Although the book has a romance theme running though it, it's  the message of not judging each other on first appearances that for me is what we should take away from reading it. The love story is more about Emily and   Jake and them falling in love with Archie and the acceptance of his autism.
If you love books like The Rosie Project, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and The Catcus then this is a book for you. A great debut novel and the first of many more to look forward to from this  author

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for a free copy in return for an honest review.
I had a conflicted relationship with this book.
I interesting set of topics are covered in a well written story. There are some really good insights into living and coping with people with different abilities.
Perhaps I am too cynical because the ending was too obvious and twee.

Overall an interesting a good read.
Really enjoyed this book. It gives you some clear, honest truths as to how tough life can be, and how you can want something so bad only for it turn out to not be what you wanted after all....