Cover Image: Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Aphrodite Made Me Do It

This is the story of low and high, defeat and survival -- and probably some of the best poetry I have ever read. Just like the art that is the included, the poetrical aspects are extremely beautiful written,
I found some of the phrases in these poems to really resonate with me and then I found some just didn’t. This one has representation but could also be triggering for some. I found I didn’t like the way some of is was written as if Aphrodite was talking to you. Idk why but I didn’t like that. Over all a nice collection of poems. I also liked the pictures and art in it.
TW for rape, abuse, sexual assault, death, eating disorders, gore, blood, queerphobia

I don’t know what I expected when I started this collection. I don’t even quite know how to review it.

Never has a poetry collection made me feel things so deep in my soul that it feels like I’ve dived deeper than the ocean floor. This book wrapped me in a blanket, handed me a mug of hot coco and said “You’ll be okay. And here’s why”. It was gentle but it was fierce and it was strong and it was everything I needed right now.

I can’t tell you you’ll love this collection. It feels so deeply personal that I genuinely don’t know if you will. But if you’re struggling, and everything feels hard, then preorder this one, because it’s a good one.
Honestly, my only complaint is that it is too short! Mateer easily won me over from the first page. I zoomed through the whole book in under an hour and wished I had more! Her poetry is unlike most I have read. It not only talks about topics I relate to, but she does it in a manner that tells you to embrace yourself, even if it is hard.

So many poetry collections air out their dirty laundry and leave you feeling low. Mateer did the exact opposite. Sure, there were deep topics, but she proclaimed about accepting life and moving forward.

“My pain has always deserved a voice and I will not deny it that, but I won’t devote my life to it either ... Let me fill the space with joy instead.”

On top of her powerful, inclusive writing, what I loved most was the artwork and photography that accompanied the pieces. I found myself staring at every since one and felt empowered the farther I went on. They each stand alone beautifully, but even in the varying styles and techniques used to grab your attention, they still flowed together perfectly.

Even though I read this collection digitally, I could definitely see myself also picking up a physical copy if only to see the art in person and dog ear my favorite poems.

I highly recommend checking this collection out. Even if you aren’t the biggest fan of poetry (much like myself!) I think there is something in this collection for everyone.
I’m not a big fan of poetry but I do love Greek mythology and have recently become obsessed with Hadestown so I’ve been craving mythology retelling s. This wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. I thought the author was going to rewrite Greek goddess myths through poetry but I think that’s because I read the synopsis wrong and in a way I wanted the book to be. Despite that this collection of poems was good. I liked that it combines poetry, prose, and pictures. There were some really great lines throughout and I wish it was longer so we could hear more from Aphrodite’s perspective. About that, I do have to say that my main complaint was that I didn’t always know who was narrating which part. Maybe this will be more apparent in the final version but while reading I didn’t always know if it was the author or Aphrodite that was saying certain pieces so it took a couple lines to figure out who was who which took me out of the poem a bit. I think this poetry collection would be good for those who really like poetry and those who have read the author’s previous works. Wasn’t my favorite but I don’t think I was the intended audience.
This has been one of the best poetry collections I have ever read.

If poetry is something you enjoy then Trista Mateer’s latest collection is one you need to be reading. There are heavy mythology themes, but you don’t have to be well versed in it to understand the poems. Greek mythology is something I’ve never been interested in until now. The imagery used and connections she made between this world and the world of Aphrodite were astounding and felt genuine.

I swear it’s as if Mateer stepped into my brain and strung together lines with my thoughts. I related to so many pieces. When reading something, one or two lines will usually stick out that I’ll make notes of, but, with Aphrodite, I found myself picking out parts with every turn of the page.

There was an incredible amount of emotion poured into these poems. So many of them hurt but there was also a silver lining of hope and encouragement mixed in. This was an anthem to those that have been trodden down and are struggling to get back up again. It’s the battle cry of those that know their life is worth more than the events that have happened to them.

I don’t always buy finished copies of the ARCs I review because of money, but I will be investing in Aphrodite Made Me Do It. My ARC was a digital copy and the formatting was not perfect – I’m aching to see Trista Mateer’s poems in the way they are meant to be. I want to pour over these words again with a highlighter in one hand and a pen to write notes in the margin in the other.

This collection is what my heart needed and I hope you give it a chance.
This book is a poetry and prose collection about selfcare, retelling Aphrodite’s empowering story through the past and present. I think this is the best poetry collection I’ve ever read. It’s a beautiful story about forgiveness, dealing with past trauma, and accepting yourself just the way you are.
Reading this book felt like a conversation with Aphrodite herself, talking about her strengths and struggles and life and love. I felt such a strong connection to the story and I found a lot of myself in the pages.
I’m not usually a huge fan of poetry, but I loved the format of this book and it suited the story perfectly. It changed perspective between Aphrodite and the author, and featured a lot of illustrations and typography by the author between the poems which I think would be stunning to see in a physical copy of the book.
I don’t think I will ever recommend a book more than I recommend this one, especially if you’re in the place to read it.
I received an arc of Aphrodite Made Me Do It from Central Avenue Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions are honest and my own.

I really enjoyed this poetry collection. It highlighted important topics and social discussions which I found interesting to read about. Mythology was heavily incorporated alongside a more humane perspective. This collection featured some beautiful, hard-hitting poems which I loved. Topics were discussed in both delicate and harsher ways which I liked.

The collection really focused on empowerment and I loved the way gods and goddesses were used to illustrate and convey themes. The images and quotes in here were also stunning. Some poems fell a little flat for me but that may be just because I couldn’t fully relate to them.

I appreciate the arc and want to thank Central Avenue Publishing and NetGalley for allowing me to read this collection. I’d recommend this poetry collection to those looking for a sense of strength and how to find it.
Mateer's second (?) book of poetry has some really good lines and alright poems in it. She's a talented visual artist and I enjoyed seeing her collages and such. However, the book feels disorganized, rushed, and un-curated. Things are thrown in there that aren't really connected to what I assumed was an overarching theme. There is a lot of cliche prose which makes it feel rushed + disingenuous.

I feel like Mateer has a lot of potential but this felt half-finished and more like a dump of things from a notes folder or a google docs than a collection of poetry and art. It was very disappointing how scattered it all was considering the interesting theme and inconsistently good visuals in her poetry.
This is the first I have seen from Trista Mateer
I received a free arc from Net Gallery in return for a honest review.

The thing I liked the most about this was the illustrations that still showed the feel of the book and really broke the poems up. I've not seen this done like this before and I really loved it.
I especially loved the tarot like images.

"I belong to no one. They never wrote that part down."

Its a story of survival, a fight through assault and abuse and coming through that learning to self love. One particular poem really stood out for me and that's the one that describes all her fears, its just so honest and open and really made me thought the writer was fearless because she was able to really own what she was afraid of.

"What brings us together will always be more powerful than what keeps us apart.”

The writing is really beautiful, Trista Mateer has a huge talent and I can't wait to see what comes next.
I think I’ve read about 4 poetry collections, like, ever… and they were not modern. So, yeah, I’m not the target reader here. Or one educated in the form. But, with that caveat, here we go.

If I were putting it unkindly: if a poetry collection and an inspirational Pinterest board had a baby, it would be this book. It is an unfamiliar form and I wouldn’t say I was entirely comfortable with it. That being said, there were a lot of gorgeous moments here – both in the text and in the accompanying artwork. And, I really admire the author for disregarding our preconceived notions of  form. I think it is largely due to this that I'm a little at a loss to synopsize the reading experience I've had here. Which is impressive in itself, if nothing else - it is certainly good to be challenged and this is definitely not a book I'll soon forget!

The narrative (loosely speaking) is a conversation between the poet and Aphrodite, each meditating on love, on survival, on the battles we wage against ourselves and others. I was very intrigued by the concept – and admittedly, as a huge fan of mythological retellings, I’d have been happy with even more of that 'story'. But, the bulk of the text is meditations on healing after trauma, with both allegorical and concrete interludes on the subject.

My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the arc to review.
Queer, Greek and Godly.
(in a good way).

I read this entire collection sitting on the beach and watching the tide slowly come in. Trista Mateers poetry is provocative when read alone but together each of the poems connects to form one larger narrative about the female experience and healing. And when this is phrased through one of the toughest Greek Goddess's what's not to like?

With beautiful art and beautiful poetry throughout, I can't think of a single reason not to buy this book when it's released on October 1st 2019.

#AphroditeMadeMeDoIt #NetGalley

I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

P.S Trigger Warnings are at the beginning of the book so its easy to skip anything that may trigger you. (Seriously what a good book!)
This short and powerful book combines free verse poetry, prose, collages, and illustrations, giving it the feel of an empowering handmade zine. I enjoyed the unique reading experience, and the compelling drive of the text.

I love the exploration of the Aphrodite character, and the feminist perspective. The chapter names such as "Aphrodite Airs Her Grievances" and "Aphrodite Speaks On Love" were great markers to the story, and I interpreted them to be a bit tongue and cheek. It was one of my favourite parts of the book. I also enjoyed the musings on the phrase "you can't love others until you love yourself," saying that it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of love. There is a lot of wisdom in this book.

Anyone who enjoys zines, feminism, an Greek Mythology should give this unique book a try.
This was a very emotional read. The poetry was phenomenal and there were several moments that I was absolutely blown away by. The section about being afraid hit home really hard and I had to put the book down for a moment.  Very beautiful overall. I really enjoyed the collection.
This poetry collection is told from the perspective of the goddess Aphrodite, but it encompasses sexual assault, rape, body image, sexuality, gender, physical abuse and so much more. This isn't told in the traditional poetic form that I am used to. It is more of a story of prose. This is like the best crossover of poetry and PostSecret. The images tell you as much as the poems themselves.

I received a copy of this book free from NetGalley. These reviews are my own.
I feel privileged I got the chance to read this incredible piece of work. Aphrodite Made Me Do is a collection of poems and prose. It deals with topics such as mental illness, trauma, LGBTQ+, forgiveness and love.

It is a story of hope, healing and surviving whatever has happened to you. It talks about self-care and being responsible for your own healing and of finding the real meaning of love.

I loved the illustrations and typography picture included in between poems. They added a lovely touch and related to what was being said.

I will be buying a copy of this book when it’s released as well as also checking out some of the author’s previous works. This book is perfect for anyone struggling with their own healing process and anyone trying to find meaning to their own life.

Here are a few of my favourite quotes ..

"I’m afraid of love. I’m afraid of other things. My soft body was a crime in my mother’s house."

"The same way
She rose from the sea, you rise like a phoenix
From the ashes of things that no longer serve you."

"People expect all stories of abuse to be loud and angry but they’re not."

"It is never too late to realize
You don’t want to be on the other
You’re walking. You can never go back but you can always chart a new course. Give yourself permission to explore every aspect of your being."
Poetry has a way of exploring truths that make them seem both obvious to the current culture and relevant to all. Trista Mateer has made a career of it. Blending art and poetry and fiction into a narrative about what society expects of women and how we are capable of so much more than those expectations.

Mateer also encourages and promotes self care and provides ways both for the readers and for the people around them.
She seemlessly blends fictional stories of Aphrodite with a modern women looking for love. She uses the background and myths of Aphrodite to showcase the ways in which we twist peoples stories to fit our narrative and how our expectations change based on the new story.

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a powerful piece full of history, longing, encouragement, and empowerment that should be read carefully. There is discussion of rape, abuse (allusions to both physical and emotional), body issues, and heartbreak.
I loved this poetry book! So much of what she said really resonated with me. Her writing is so powerful, and I really enjoyed the images and illustrations that accompanied the poems.
A modern approach to poetry incorporating greek mythology with goddess Aphrodite. I enjoyed this more than I typically do with these modern approaches.