Cover Image: Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Aphrodite Made Me Do It

3/5 Aphrodite Made Me Do It was part poetry but mainly basic twitter advice to young girls. Conceptually I thought it was interesting, but in my opinion, it didn't necessarily work. I was much more interested in the lyrical and often very beautiful poetry from Aphrodite's voice, but when it came to the poet, aside from some vulnerable and heartfelt pieces, I felt like I was reading regurgitated Tumblr lines from earlier in the decade. There is no doubt the author is talented, but here I felt like I was reading two different books and one was much more original and enjoyable than the other. Unfortunately, the book came off messy. Between the mixed media art (which was all beautiful might I add) randomly assigned to pages up until the end of the book, and the cacophonous change in style between the Poet's narration and Aphrodite's, I can't say it's anything especially original or new. I would absolutely adore a series dedicated to Aphrodite's voice alone as those poems were beautiful and held on their own. As a collection though, I can't say this really did it for me.
I'm not usually into poetry collections, but this one was really moving. I loved how Trista Mateer talked about grief  and pain with a feminist perspective. I felt like I was reading a personal journey rather than prose, which added to the feeling that this was very personal.
I still don't know how to love a thing
even my mother is ashamed to look at,
but sometimes I grow out all my wild
just to sit alone with it in the dark.

Aphrodite Made Me Do It is a creative and imaginative collection of prose that retells the empowering Aphrodite while also using poetry as a way to heal from trauma. There's so much self-love and self-acceptance and this book is so personal in its trauma (which makes it so hard to give it a rating regardless) you can taste it. I appreciated the bits with Aphrodite giving us her story and her woman strength ... though the ending kind of faltered for me because it didn't hit me as much as I was expecting. Mateer had some hard-hitting/relatable bits (that whole bit that went "I'm afraid of" — woah, so much of what I think about on my day to day #anxiety) but yeah, the ending kind of didn't deliver.

I did like the art that was included, it was very neat & also had nice lines that I thought did well within the whole collection.
An interesting mix of poetry and illustrations. Trista Mateer never dissappoints. The contrast with the goddess point of view is amazing and feels like a refreshing look into feminity
My favorite collection by Mateer to date. Beautiful words, beautiful art, beautiful representations of raw emotions.
4 stars

*I received an ARC of this via NetGalley, however, this in no way influenced my opinion.*

I haven't really read much poetry but when I heard this was retelling the story of Aphrodite I knew I had to read it. The poetry is beautiful and really thought provoking, I definetely want to read more of this authors work. I loved the illustrations throughout the book, they were stunning and they really added to the reading experience.

I highly recommend it, even if you don't normally read poetry.
This book was beautiful. It is a literally a piece of artwork that moved me so much. The art work is just so fantastic. I would recommend this to anyone. It is so wonderful and empowering.
Inspired by a recent read, I decided to turn towards more poetry. I wanted something feminist and empowering, and this certainly fit the bill! Mateer creates dialogue between herself and Aphrodite, Greek goddess of love. They cover a lot of topics but mostly focus on the role of women in the world, love and hate, and healing after abuse and trauma. It was powerful and rebellious, but also comforting and I really enjoyed this contrast.

I loved the references to Greek mythology, I'm a big fan of ancient history and especially ancient religion, and so the inclusion of Aphrodite was a big hit with me. I loved Mateer's representation of her, and the way that she made her so strong and warrior-like, yet also gave undertones of hope, love and acceptance. Also, this piece is super quotable! I could find so many wonderful lines in this one.

I think that the main problem with this piece for me came about an hour after reading. I'd forgotten most of it. As much as it's super inspirational and made me want to yell in the streets about the patriarchy while reading, I had a hard time remembering it's content after I'd finished. I think a few rereads would probably sort that out, but I always find that the best works are those that stick with you long after reading.
beautiful poetry - but not what I look for in poetry I think. I rated it 3 stars because I think her imagery is great. I just wasn't totally connected to the way Trista Mateer writes.
Trista Mateer's work just isn't for me. I have read her poems before and wasn't able to engage with it back then, and unfortunately, neither am I now. The stories she tells are self-centered in a way that I understand is probably relatable and enjoyable or even beneficial for a lot of people, but something that just doesn't quite agree with me.
i really felt this one.

trista mateer's collection of poetry, prose, and art reads as a conversation between the poet and the goddess aphrodite. through this dialogue, we hear aphrodite tell her story and use her words to give advice to the poet. as well, we see the poet as a complex human with a hard story to tell. the poet discusses her queerness, her experience with trauma, and her mental health in ways that hit hard but are also beautifully poignant. the art that accompanied this collection was a nice touch, and a way to add another dimension to the work.

this was my second of mateer's books, and i got a lot out of it. can definitely recommend!

thanks to netgalley and central avenue for providing me with a free copy for review!
Let me preface this by saying that the format was not really for me. I didn't like the switch between short poetry and long prose.
I did enjoy the artwork a lot. I related strongly to the "I am afraid..." part, but the rest was just difficult for me to get through. I had a hard time appreciating the writing. I guess if this is modern poetry, I'm not a fan of it. It read like a diary more so than actual well thought out poetry. I think it's great to be able to put your thoughts into words and that people going through things can relate to and feel like someone else understand them, but it just isn't something I seek out to read because I have other ways of working on myself.
Amazing and super quick read! Although I did not understand at times who was talking, I understood the overall message in the story through its beautiful artwork and inspiring poetry. I appreciate how the book gave tips on how readers can overcome their guilt and their past through its specificity and vagueness (which was great!) Lastly, this cover is gorgeous!! Overall, I enjoyed this book and I will for sure be picking up more of Mateer's books in the future!
This book was honestly like nothing I've read before. I admire the way it blends Greek mythology with present topics. It's honest. It's raw. It's thought-provoking. It's beautiful. The voice caught me off guard in a good way. I love the blend of media and poetry and prose. Reading this was cathartic and legitimately enjoyable.
I read this collection in one sitting and if that doesn’t say how much I appreciated this collection I don’t know what will. Aphrodite made me do it is one of the most beautiful poetry collections I have ever read fr9m the hard hitting poetry to the images that come along with it. Wow that’s all I can say. So many people in this world need to read this and appreciate the topics that are being discussed Trista Mateer really does have a way with words and I just really appreciated getting the opportunity to read this as it has changed my views on so many things.
Such a short, yet powerful story told through words and pictures that display the rawness of healing and growing from something ugly and terrible.
First of all--what a beautiful cover. I was drawn to this book because of the connection to Greek mythology. I expected something different, but I have read all of this before. Every person is a phoenix. I was hoping for more unique poetry.
Beautiful poetry and even more beautiful art!
I loved the illustrations and pictures included in this book which I really think helped to highlight the lovely prose. I loved the perspective of these poems and writing style was great!
It is queer. It is intersectional. It is fragile and beautiful.

And those things make it so damn damn strong.
Also the art is wonderfull and it feels like you're dreaming.
I thought that this was an interesting collection of modern poetry, combined with Greek mythology. I really liked how it combined Aphrodite and the poet's voices, and overall thought it left me feeling both sad and empowered.