Aphrodite Made Me Do It

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Unfortunately the formatting is off on my kindle copy, I have requested that my local library buy it in but unless they do I will be unable to review.

What I did see, especially of the illustrations, was great.
Thank you NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing I want to say about this book is that I think it is something that every woman should read. Mateer has a way with words that makes you feel something. There was never a moment in this book where I was bored. Every chapter made me feel different emotions for the author and for Aphrodite. One of the most interesting parts of this book was the chapters that were written from Aphrodite’s point of view. It is very rare that we see an image of the goddess that’s different from what people view her as. It was a great way for Mateer to tackle sexism while using this symbol of love and lust that everyone would recognize. The title of this book is what drew me in. Instead of saying ‘Love made me do it’ or ‘Lust made me do it’ they gave the force a face.

Overall, I thought this book was amazing and has easily become one of my favorite books. I know for sure that I will be picking this up for a re-read again in the near future.
I enjoyed this! It is very much written in a similar style to most modern poetry these days, but also brings some unique elements to the table. The incorporation of Greek mythology and the back and forth between Aphrodite and the poet's perspectives was very interesting. I also enjoyed the artwork which was incorporated, although at times it seemed to be a slightly different tone (very bright, bubbly) than the rest of the book. Finally, this book did an excellent job of making the poems into shapes that relate to the message, without being too outright about it. It wasn't cheesy, it just added a little touch of meaning that I really appreciated and haven't seen in a while. I'm sure that the physical copy of this is going to be beautiful.
Loved it! I'm not a big fan of poetry, but it is very approachable in this form. I appreciate the message and feel this is a book I will come back to.
(I would also recommend it to anyone, who is interested in Greek mythology. I enjoyed the different view and take on the myth of Aphrodite)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Although the language was beautiful, overall this just wasn’t my cup of tea. I didn’t enjoy a lot of the visuals included. I probably should have heeded the trigger warning, but I will say that the author gave voice to feelings I’ve had about my own situation and I did appreciate that.
Synopsis:

Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present.By the end of this book, Aphrodite make you believe in the possibility of your own healing.

I love this poems and the way the autor puts in words something that is so touchable, everyone can relate to this poems and its so easy to read that you can do it in one go! Was my first book of this autor and I completely feel in love with it .. highly recomend.
4.5 stars.

This was a stunning poetry collection, and it is now a new favorite collection of mine. The art throughout this was beautiful, and it really took the poetry to the next level. I felt like I was peering into someone's journal.

The poems deal with a lot of difficult subjects, but there is a list of trigger warnings in the front of the book that I really appreciated. These poems perfectly encapsulated what it feels like to be a young woman in our generation: frightened but hopeful, full of love and trying to grow from the things that have broken us.

The addition of Aphrodite as a figure narrating was really unique and effective. There were so many beautiful quotes that you just wanted to write down and post on your walls, write in your journal, tattoo across your forehead because they were just so necessary and real.

I really, really loved this.
Aphrodite Made Me Do It has an extremely interesting premise and I love the cover. However, I really did not feel like the poetry and art was my thing. It felt to me a bit like a teenager's Tumblr page but a tiny bit more sophisticated. It think that is just my personal preference, maybe I like more traditional forms of poetry better.
"it was my blood that made the roses red.
My pain shaped the whole world"

I tend to find it difficult to connect to poetry collections, but this one hit differently. Her writing was raw, and evoked strong emotions from me.
Told partly from the perspective of Aphrodite, it had a magical, godly feel to it that added another layer I haven't read before.

"I am older than the stars and the ocean I crawled out of"

Trista Mateer provides Aphrodite, and numerous other goddesses with the voices that were taken from them.

"They married me off in the stories so they could call me an adulteress, but I brought the god of war to his knees"

This collection was empowering, ethereal and exquisite.
The full colour photos and illustrations were a wonderful addition as well.
I highlighted so many poems and quotes from this, which will stick with me for a long time coming.

4.75 stars

*** I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange of an honest review ***
I think this belongs to the ever-growing realm of books that (I think) are better as Tumblrs, blogs, etc. Taken on their own, I did like some of the vignettes/poems in this. But altogether it felt repetitive and I couldn’t connect in the same way that I would via a different medium. Maybe this type of book just isn’t my jam, and that’s okay!
Unfortunately, not for me. This didn't grab my attention and most of the time I felt like I was reading someone's scrapbook rather than a poetry collection.
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review.
Expected Release: October 1st 2019

**Trigger Warnings**
Body Image, Sexual Assault, Rape, Eating Disorders, Queer-phobia, Emotional Abuse, Physical Abuse, Gore, Blood, Death.

I love poetry. I discovered Trista Mateer by finding out about one of her other works, The Dogs I Have Kissed. I know little to nothing about what this about about but I know it's a poetry book and the title itself makes me want to read it. Then I found this Trista Mateer book on Net Galley and was lucky enough to be given a copy of it.

This is the poetry that I feel I don't read enough of; The raw and authentic. This is the kind of poetry that opens my eyes to the perspective of other people. How they live their lives and how others treat them. How they suffer and how they survive.

Trista Mateer did a beautiful job interweaving different poetic thoughts with mythological references and metaphors. It made it somewhat mythical and just out of reach while still touching the back of my mind with the hard hitting topics that are looked over too often in society.

The write about such experiences is real and it's important to me, and I hope to others, to know the thoughts of these people. The ones discriminated by family, the ones abused by others, the ones with the internal struggles, or even all of these mixed together. I'm trying not to glorify it, but I think it's important people know the authentic stories, the plasters created by people who have no idea what it means to deal with these hard hitting subjects. I just want to thank Trista Mateer for writing this and I am thankful that I was given the opportunity to read this. It truly was a beautiful and poetic story.

I am definitely going to pick up the other things Trista Mateer has written because of this book.
This was... what I needed.

A poetry collection so intense yet warm, so necessary, so raw and real. Each verse stripped my soul bare and patched it back up again, promising everything will get better if only I just let it.

The artwork inside was the icing on the cake, highlighting softly quotes that felt like a warm hug.

I will definitely be picking this up when it comes out and displaying it proudly on my shelf.

5* (Thank you to the publishers who let me read this early!)
This book was beautifully empowering. I felt like I was the female goddess herself by the end of reading this book. If you love mythology please give it a read it will rock your world.
This ARC was provided to me by NetGalley, in exchange for my honest review. Any quotes given are from the ARC, not the published book.

I loved Aphrodite Made Me Do It. I won't spend a lot of time going over the triggers for this book, because unlike others, this one has them listed right on the first page of the book, which I think should be standard. It deals with "body image, sexual assault, rape, eating disorders, queerphobia, emotional abuse, physical abuse, gore, blood, death, fire." The way Aphrodite is written ends on a note that makes it clear that these are aspects of life, but they are not the defining characteristics of the story.

I found myself highlighting so many quotes while reading. Quotes like, “Some people try and try and just stain everything. Their fingers are purple with want.”

It's a story of myth, but it's also a story of everything. I can't really totally explain this book, because it's over 200 pages of poetry and illustrations, but it's also a contained narrative. It's spellbinding.

There's a blackout poem included in the book, using Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield," which exemplifies the often unrelenting dark nature of the story. Some books won't allow a woman such darkness without then giving her redemption, often by a man. This book does.

Another line I just want to quote because of its sheer brilliance: "Eve's pomegranate, an apple. All the details change but one: it is a woman with her hand on the door to Hell."

I have so many things highlighted but you really need to read the whole story to understand why I'm gushing about this book so much. It's fantastic.
In her new poetry collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It, Trista Mateer spins beautiful, thought-provoking prose laid out as a dialogue between poet and the goddess Aphrodite. Mateer crafts a retelling of ancient Greek mythos paired with nonfiction self experience in a way that calls to women to take up space and make sure their voices are heard.

Using the conversation between the poet and Aprhodite, she provides readers with a different view of many infamous women in mythology - giving them a voice to tell their side of their own stories. She encourages readers to relearn those myths from a modern and feminist stand point, using Aphrodite’s own story as an example of how myths have been altered so they become more palatable.

Aphrodite Made Me Do It was one of the best poetry collections I’ve had the pleasure of reading. The art was colourful and eye-catching. The writing was raw and invoked so many emotions I couldn’t name them all.  It was full of themes that are common in most mainstream poetry such as love, loss, survival, empowerment, insecurity, death, abuse. But Mateer’s voice is incredibly unique and completely haunting. Her words will stick with you long after you have finished reading them - resonating deep within your soul in a way you never expected.
I'm so happy to find a book of poetry that I enjoy! A lot of the big release poetry isn't my taste, or it feels too generic. But this? I need to hold this in my hands. Like, right now. I could feel the way the words ebbed and flowed in my veins and I'm addicted to it. This is one of those books I wish I could experience for the first-time again.
What an interesting book this was. I did not know what to expect really going from the description but what it did say for sure intrigued me to see what would unfold in its pages and I was pleasantly surprised once I delved into this book and saw it's contents.

It's a beautiful work, sharing you into many different facets of life from the darkest areas to the lightest of places. In poetry and prose. This book really shook me to the core and truly resonated with my soul a lot. It is one of those works that makes you confront your own demons but seeing your not alone in them at the same time. The way this book handled difficult topics was done so very well and in a respectable manner, which can be a very hard balance to get so that was impressive in itself, especially, the type of way it was written as well.

I adore poetry and always connect with things so much more when they are written in this format and so this book truly hit me in the heart with feelings that I had not felt bloom in a long time. Each section was filled with so much inspiration, transformation and gentle growth that it truly was such a beautiful read to have seen, alongside the fabulous designs.

I loved this book a lot and the way it dealt with such difficult issues in a modern tone and amazing writing that just sang off the page. What a beautiful book. Highly recommend this.
This poetry/prose collection is EVERYTHING. I often will skim poetry collections to bookmark the entries I find most compelling so I can come back and re-read. I quickly realized this would not work for this collection because I was bookmarking every damn page. Deeply resonant, this book hit me in the damn soul and made me feel seen. I fully intend to invest in a hard copy so I can re-read and annotate to my heart's delight!

As noted by author in the beginning: TW/CW for body image, rape, emotional and physical abuse, sexual assault, queerphobia, death, eating disorders, gore, blood, death, fire =
"Aphrodite Made Me Do It" is a beautiful mashup of non-fiction trauma and fictionalized poetry from Aphrodite's perspective. Aspects of the non-fiction trauma, forgiveness of self and past abusers, and healing hit me viscerally as a bisexual woman with some of the same fears and experiences. I applaud Trista Mateer for her bravery in exhibiting her pain and growth for all to experience. I definitely recommend for purchase.