Kid Activists

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 1 Nov 2019

Love all these kids books. They are informative but fun to read. I love how it shows how these influential people are normal people.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 Stars
This is an excellent resource for young readers eager to learn about the world and the people who got them their rights.

I enjoyed this book immensely, the drawings and child-friendly language used mean that this is a perfect way to teach children about important figures in history.

The diversity both in ethnicity and issues faced by the kid activists encourages wider reading and for young people to expand their perspectives. It pays homage to some of the most important people of history and even of the present day. Topics like the Flint Water Crisis and Child Slavery and discussed in-depth alongside the fight for Civil Rights and Education.

Overall, this is an inspiring book and an amazing academic resource for a person of any age and I would highly recommend it.

Buy it now for only $13.95

I received an advance review copy for free via NetGalley, and I am leaving this review voluntarily 📚
I really loved the book, Kid Activists. The design and structure of the book is very kid-friendly. The short excerpts are perfect for my students. I loved how the book focussed on the impact that a child can have. It is a great text to put in front of my students in order to inspire and teach them. The selection of activists was diverse and well-down. I thought it had a good mix of names my students would know, as well as lots they wouldn't/
This series of famous (and not as well known) people as kids is a go to recommendation of mine. I hope they keep coming.
A great read for kids looking to learn more about what activism is and how it creates change. The artwork matches perfectly. I could see this being fairly popular in my branch, both with kids and their caregivers. Works well as a stepping off point for more resources and education on different kinds of activism.
3.5 Stars
A decent addition to the series and an excellent subject matter, although not quite as diverse as some of the previous books.  It is organized well and I did enjoy most of the mini biographies included, especially those of Emma Watson, Harvey Milk, and Malala Yousafzai. A good place for children to start and then research further.

Net Galley Feedback
I have read many an anthology about people that kids should know, but this one is really a little special. It focuses on the childhood's of these people and shows how their young years shaped what they did as they grew older. I love all of the pictures that are scattered throughout the book as I found they really helped me connect to the stories.
I liked the collection of people that they found as well as it was a good mix of people that I knew well, those I have just heard their name, and I few I knew nothing about. I learned a lot from their stories and I feel like kids will as well as it is written in a very accessible way.
Th chosen activists discussed are both well known and delved into far enough for the book to remain resolutely interesting from start to finish. The art also compliments the stories very well.
Another in the "Kid" series, these books offer short chapters filled with sometimes little-known background stories of a category of famous figures. I like the activist angle, with its empahsis on change agents. This book works to represent a diverse population and introduces several activists that students may not have heard of yet. Galley reviewed.
This book was a breath of fresh air to this mom of two young kids! I work hard every day to raise my kids to be kind and accepting members of society. There needs to be more books like this that I can read with my children, so I can teach them about activism and real heroes they can try to embody in their actions.
This is a powerful book that looks at children of influence not just through history, but contemporary figures too.
While there is a focus on certain aspects of activism, the book does give details for each person individually.
I would recommend this book for an individual lesson but more so a goal-oriented class project. Personally, I think this would make a great graduation portfolio for students going into Intermediate and High School.
Good book for the kid activist in your life! -or a collection of biographies!  I enjoyed reading about some new people in this book: Emma Watson (Harry Potter's Hermione actress) and the late Iqbal Masih (child slave). Very empowering tales for all ages. There are many others in this book, many of whom I've read about over the years (and recommended for reading! ). The anger and despair that grows such bravery and drives one to fight back is so admirable. It's amazing what one person can accomplish!
Well researched and written. Chapters aren't too long, but contain lots of info. I enjoyed the periodic illustrations, too.
I love this book! It is a perfect reminder that as we read about all these amazing people in our world, we can speak up as children too. Letting children know that they are just as full of power as the adults they are surrounded by and came make just as big as a difference will be excellent. I appreciated the inclusion of many different races and nationalities.
My one critique of the book is the illustrations. In a book this powerful I felt the illustrations could have been stronger.