Clear My Name

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 8 Aug 2019

With thanks to Netgalley, the publishers and my local library for the arc/ book, which was an incredible read.
I have read other books by the author Paula Daly and have enjoyed reading about the work of Innocence UK. In the other books. I thought the storyline in this book was of such a high standard with all the twists and turns you normally expect from this author. I particularly liked the storyline of Tess  and of her past and hopefully her future. Clear my name has to be one of the best reads this year.
Highly recommended.
I would rate this book 3.75 out of 5 stars.

This was a really enjoyable thriller.

I love a premise surrounding a main character who has been convicted of a crime and another character trying to free them when they begin to question their innocence. This type of premises almost always works for me and this book was no exception.

I really enjoyed Tess and Avril as characters and all their interactions.

While I didn't see the ending coming, which is unusual for me with a thriller, I thought the ending was headed somewhere else and I really wanted that to be the ending so was a little disappointed.

Overall a really fun thriller that I recommend checking out.
What a great book, full of twists and some great characters. Love Paula Daly’s style of writing, always a pleasure to read.

Carrie is in prison after being found guilty of the brutal murder of her husband’s girlfriend. Her daughter Mia has always believed in her mother’s innocence but three years into her fifteen year sentence she is still locked away.

Tess, who works for Innocence UK picks up the case and it is her job to re-look at the case and find any evidence that may have been missed, whether this proves Carrie innocent or guilty.

There is one problem, the case means that Tess has to return to her home town where she has tried to bury some log his secrets.  In looking into the case will Tess have to face her past as well ?

This is a really good book and I really loved getting to know Tess. I hope that we may get to see Tess again in the future. This is a real addictive book that has a great twist that I didn’t see coming despite my many theories !!

Thank you to Random House UK and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Random House UK,  Transworld Publishers and the author,  Paula Daly, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Clear My Name in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought this book provided a very compelling read.  Well defined characters and an intriguing storyline makes this book a real page turner.
Worth a read.
I huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and Netgalley for providing the e-arc in exchange for a unbiased review of these works

Paula Daly has done it again! what a fantastic read

Tess works for Innocence UK, here she starts working on the case of Carrie, who was convicted of killing her husbands girlfriend. flitting from the present to the past when the crime was committed we slowly uncover the real truth
Three years into her fifteen year sentence for killing her husband's lover Carrie gets a break, Innocence UK will take her case to appeal.  Leading the appeal is Tess, returning to her hometown and all the bad memories she left behind plus juggling her married lover and her job.  When Tess gets a break in the case Carrie's chances improve but is it as clear cut as it seems?
I'm sure this book will be snapped up for a tv series because it reads that way.  The female-led characters are strong and varied, each with their own demons and the narrative flits between past and present telling a tale.  However it never really convinced me that there was a clear plot, it almost seemed as though the twist at the end was tacked on for good measure and it didn't sit true.
Very enjoyable psychological thriller. Characters were well drawn and although I had guessed who had  murdered Ella fairly early on there were still enough emotional depth and twists to keep the pages turning. I found it needed tighter editing - there was quite a bit of repetition - but overall this was a solid genre read and I'll definitely be reading more of Paula Daly....she hasn't let me down yet!
I’m such a fan of Paula Daly and have loved all her books to date and this new one is no exception! The novel follows Tess who works for Innocence UK as she looks into the possible wrongful conviction of Carrie – a woman convicted of killing her husband’s mistress. Carrie says she didn’t do it and Tess is determined to find the truth. This book really tense at times and is a definite page turner! I went back and forth over whether I thought Carrie was innocent, and I was suspicious of other people who perhaps had a motive for murder but I was never sure. This is a thought-provoking novel and one that you’ll be thinking about long after you’ve turned the last page! Clear My Name is a novel that kept me on my toes and I very much enjoyed it!
That was a different take on a crime novel, Tess Gilroy is devoted to trying to prove convicted criminals are in fact innocent and should be released.

We follow Tess and her new trainee at Innoncence UK, Avril, as we try to determine whether Carrie really did murder her husband's lover.

Throughout I couldn't quite make up my mind which side I was leaning on, i just had a sneaking feeling that it may be more complicated than it appeared, but couldn't work out why.   I was hooked as we are taken on a journey seeing just happened four years ago, when Carrie was arrested, as well as following Tess's story now.

What added an extra dimension to this is just how Tess's incredibly deeply hidden personal life interconnects with this case in a way you couldn't have guessed.  I think I would have liked to see a bit more from that story line as I was really interested in it.

I really enjoyed seeing how this story played out, there were some mini gasps from me, as the action progressed and it is another great book from a author I really enjoy reading.

From around the half way point, the book was incredibly addictive and I just had to know what would happen next.

Thank you to Transworld and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I like Paula Daly and find her writing riveting and interesting. But I have to be honest, this book was a bit of a let down for me. The story was interesting and it had a good premise. I was hooked right at the start... but by the middle I was bored and the ending really let me down.
I'm not totally sure how much I'll remember about this book.
This is probably my least favourite of Paula Daly's books. The premise was interesting and the story grabbed my attention at the beginning. However, it slowed down in the middle and became too far-fetched and unrealistic. Even though it was quite well written and some of the characters were well fleshed out (Avril), it's  just an okay book for me and not the one I'll remember.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Transworld publishers for the ARC.
Carrie is currently serving time in prison for the stabbing murder of her husband's mistress Ella. Tess is investigating the murder as Carrie doesn't seem to her to be the type of wife who would stab someone to death. Tess is also running from secrets in her own past which may end up catching up with her as she delves deeper into this case. An edge of the seat read that had me captivated until the very end. Thanks to #netgalley for the Advanced Readers Copy. #pauladaly #tea_sipping_bookworm #netgalley #bookstagram #goodreads #amazon#kindle #litsy
Clear My Name by Paula Daly is a thrilling read.  When Carrie is three years into her life sentence after being convicted of a brutal murder, Tess from Innocence UK declares that she will clear her name.  But both women are keeping secrets.  I enjoyed this novel but felt let down by the ending.  3 stars
Innocence UK is an organisation that deals with people who have been convicted of crimes but they, or someone close to them is convinced they are innocent. Carrie was convicted of the crime of murdering her husbands lover. Her case is brought to them by her daughter, Mia. The team agree to take on the case, partly because their cases have mostly dealt with men. Tess Gilroy has worked tirelessly to bring miscarriages of justice to light. With a new recruit to the organisation shadowing her, they try to find the truth. However Tess has no way of knowing that this case will stir up so many old wounds.

This was an engaging story. It was a new way of looking at a crime. The characters were interesting & I'm hoping this isn't the last we hear of Tess Gilroy. I have enjoyed Paula Daly's previous books & this one lived up to expectations. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
Carrie Kamara has been convicted of murdering her husband’s mistress  and the case has come to the attention of the innocence project. I have to admit Paula Daly and a book about a criminal trial was already onto a winner.

As it is the review of the evidence doesn't look that promising to begin with, there is some DNA evidence inside the victim's home that everyone is sure was the reason why the jury convicted her of the crime the first time round.  However Tess has a feeling that all is not as cut and dried as it first appeared and goes digging.

I really couldn't put this book down, it was totally gripping and whilst not a read that felt that it was racing away from me, it certainly moved at a fast enough pace for me to get that on the edge of my seat feeling. Best of all the ending was oh so clever!
Clear My Name is a book that totally grabbed me, initially I was a bit confused as there were a few female characters thrown at me all at once and a now timeline and a then timeline but after a couple of chapters I’d worked out who was who and couldn’t put it down. It’s been a while since I’ve wanted to read a book in every spare minute I have but this one did.
Tess works for Innocence UK she works on a team that help convicted offenders who are not guilty get a retrial with new evidence she finds. Tess was a great character, strong but with a caring side as well. She is given the case of Carrie Kanara who is in Styal prison for stabbing to death her husbands bit on the side, she has denied doing it all the way through from being arrested to now. Tess works hard along with her trainee colleague to find new evidence, the journey takes Tess back to Morecambe her home town that holds some ghosts for her.
This book was written so well, the characters came to life and I felt I knew them, it had a good ending and can’t wait to read more by Paula Daly.
I would like to thank Netgalley and RandomHouse UK, Transworld Publishers, Bantam Press for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
When Carrie was accused of brutally murdering her husband’s lover, she denied it. She denied it when they arrested her, when they put her in front of a jury, and when they sent her to prison. Now she’s three years into a fifteen-year sentence, away from the daughter she loves and the life she had built. And she is still denying that she is to blame. Tess Gilroy has devoted her life to righting wrongs. Through her job for Innocence UK, a charity which takes on alleged miscarriages of justice, she works tirelessly to uncover the truth. But when she is asked to take Carrie’s case, Tess realises that if she is to help this woman, she must risk uncovering the secrets she has struggled a lifetime to hide.

Sometimes a book comes along that inexplicably grabs you under the collar and refuses to let you go. This is one such book. I very quickly, and seemingly for no reason, found myself obsessed with this read and completely incapable of being able to put it down. I say for no reason because there is no one aspect that I can pin point as to why this was but it is there, it has happened and I loved this read.

We read in the present day as Tess begins her work and investigation into Carrie's case, as well as flashback chapters to give us an insight into events before the murder and the initial investigation. Daly gets the balance between the two just right and ensures there is an air of mystery in the plot throughout that always had me thinking and guessing where the plot was going to go. As the read progresses the intensity increases until you realise there has to be a showdown, but when and between whom? I will leave that up to you to discover for yourself.

We have Tess' side plot as well in this and Daly uses this to perfectly balance what happens in Carrie's life, I enjoyed reading the sub-plot as much as the main plot and I think Daly has done a fantastic job at creating a gripping, twisting read that is full of family secrets.

The characters are great as well, very well developed and whilst not always likeable they are human. I particularly enjoyed Avril and the innocent humour she provides in this read. Daly's location of Morecambe works well too, and dare I say it, she has made it sound like quite an idyllic seaside town.

'Clear My Name' is a fast-paced, secret filled thriller that I was completely obsessed with. I loved reading this and highly recommend this intense read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK for an advance copy.
This was an excellent book
I absolutely love books that are based around courtrooms, appeals, barristers and anything to do with the criminal legal system.
This books tells the story of Carrie, who has been convicted for murdering her husband’s lover. But did she really do it?! Tessa, who works for Innocence UK takes on her case to prove whether or not Carrie is really innocent
This book was superbly written and I had my doubts whether or not Carrie was innocent. There was one piece of forensic evidence which proved the case and it was a fantastic twist. I’ve not seen a twist like this in a long while
If you enjoy legal thrillers then this is one that you need to read. Highly recommended
Clear my Name was Crime Thriller, a suspenseful novel that revolved around Tess and Carrie. Carrie spending her 4th year in prison convicted of murder and Tess trying to clear her name. It was about mother-daughter relationship, betrayal, imperfections of human beings, guilt, lies, mistakes made in life, and suffering and turmoil of being alone, away from loved ones.

Tess was as permanent employee of Innocence UK who investigated cases, looked into matters where police failed to and tried to save her client. She had many sides. She was honest, upright, no-nonsense kind, but her personal life was messed up. She had everything job she was good at, money, success but she lived lonely life, afraid to commit to anyone, she felt she didn’t deserve to be in someone life, but why? That why, created a mysterious picture of her. She was flawed, made mistakes in life, and had secrets. But her style was impressive.

Characters-

Avril was cute. She too was flawed, she was shy in the beginning but turned out clever and strong eventually. Duo of Avril and Tess was perfect. They brought out best in each other.

Carrie was clever woman, filled with emotions, feelings and lots of love for her daughter that made her to live unhappy married life, remain under one roof with a philandering husband and after being accused of murder tried to clear her name by contacting Innocence UK so that she can be with her daughter who needed her. She was unreliable but at the same time it was hard to decide if she was innocent or not. She was amazing character and I liked to read her life story.

All characters were developed, flawed and so very interesting.

What I liked-

Writing was gripping and flawless. The description of murder, characters, evidence, police procedure, and investigation was well presented. Story was third person narrative told in present and past. Present scenario was about the case investigation, Tess’s life and her story and how characters related to case felt or were going through while the past told Carrie’s story, her relation with her husband and daughter, her daughter’s mental health issues and what she did in life to make her feel safe, day of her arrest and what happened then on.

The plot was clever. I liked the theme miscarriage of justice how Innocence UK saves innocents from life long suffering of these miscarriages by overturning wrongful convictions. I was surprised to read how many factors affected the cases- lousy police work, missing evidence, lab blunders, and forensic screw ups -and decided the life of a person weather person is culprit or victim or someone totally innocent.

Book started with introduction of Tess, Innocence UK, and its advisory panel, why they were considering Carrie’s case, the case details and how Tess will work on case with her trainee Averi on Carrie’s case. It was all so interesting hooked me instantly to the book.

Whole book was around one question, was Carrie innocent? Can Tess clear her name with no other suspect and with all evidences against her? And then there were other mysteries, a car following Tess, her past life catching up as soon as she set foot in Morecambe to investigate Carrie’s case, what happened in Tess ‘s life, from what she was running away and why she never allowed anyone to love her back.

It was not usual thriller. Story progressed slow and steady. From the very beginning you get this feeling, something is amiss in this case, things were not adding up. Carrie felt unreliable, the feeling of either she was lying or holding something back was always there. What baffled me most was, Carrie was living with her husband even though she knew he was unfaithful. Mia also felt unreliable. I still couldn’t figure out if she really was anxious person.

Events took interesting turn when Tess got a letter from her solicitor. I thought all kind of scenario, made many theories, why she was staying away from her hometown but that letter was out-of-box. Investigation was interesting, some evidences going in favor of Carrie while others against her and then there were dead end.

Suspense was wonderful. Author did awesome job with characters and mystery. It kept me flipping the pages until last chapter, until I knew who the murderer was, until I knew what Tess’ story was. It was shocking to read the revelation. I kept thinking what would I do if I was in Tess’ place, would I have done the same, wouldn’t anybody come forward and help, and more shocking was to read why killer murdered Ella and what happened in the end. It was all so well thought and well written.

Overall, it was gripping, suspenseful, thought-provoking mystery thriller with realistic characters and clever plot. I would love to read other books by author.
Paula Daly has done it again!

Clear my Name was a novel I was very much looking forward to read. Our main character Tess works for Innocence UK, an organisation who investigates cases where people might have been wrongly convicted. As such, she starts working on the case of Carrie, who was convicted of killing her husbands girlfriend.

The story itself switches between present time and around the time the crime was committed. I really enjoyed reading this a lot, the story was cleverly written and I would recommend this to anyone!