The GayBCs

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Really cute story book for children about the LGBT community. Would highly recommend for use in an elementary school classroom or day care center.
This was a really, really great book, that I would love to have for my collection. However, it has one huge, glaring issue. Making it even worse, that issue is the first letter of the alphabet. Having the letter 'A' stand for ally, at the expense of representing the asexual community was a big disappointment in an otherwise fantastic book.
Overall, I loved this book. It contained a multitude of great words and definition told in rhyme. It immediately lost a star from me on the 1st page though: WHY oh WHY is A for Ally? This is the GAYbcs not the ALLYbcs. A should be Ace. It was interesting how at the back of the book there was a glossary of all the terms covered. Each of them matched directly to a page on the book .Yet, Asexual was added to that list. Was it at one point considered for A and then changed?
Super abécédaire LGBTQIA+ pour les enfants (et les grands) en limericks (et en anglais).
J'espère qu'il sera adapté en français!
A sweet little boom with beautiful, inclusive illustrations, but I’m not sure who the target audience are. The rhymes were a little awkward in places, but the glossary at the end and the illustrations more than made up for that. I’d give it 3.5 stars.

(Review copy from NetGalley)
Such a cute and daring abc for LGBTQ. It doesn’t mince its words, while being mindful of its target audience. It will allow for healthy and open dialogue in a family home and beyond.
This is a great book for introducing children to different LGBTQ+ identities in an age-appropriate way. I would say the content is suitable for KS1 and above, though younger children might need help with some of the vocabulary (e.g. implies, innate, identify). The illustrations are fun and friendly, though I could only view them in black and white on my Kindle. Great for reading together or independently and written in accessible verse, it also has a glossary at the back to explain many terms and familiarise young children with some of the features of a non-fiction text.
I loved that this alphabet book used all LGBTQ and related terms to build the alphabet. Thanks to Quirk Books for this!!
Thanks to Quirk Books and NetGalley for the ARC. Really sweet, simple ABC book using all LGBTQ words. A great reminder of how introducing these concepts to children make their understanding so much more natural and organic. Great job.
Modern and engaging illustrations will appeal to both caretakers and young readers of The GayBCs. The text is straightforward, positive, and aims to reinforce a sense of inclusion behind a child's queer identity and encourage acceptance as an ally.
The idea of the book is very appealing. As a teacher and a queer person, I think it's important that books like these exist and that kids in their early years learn about diversity and normalize it. However, I agree with previous reviewers, it's a shame that the A wasn't for asexual. Allies are important, but it's more important to give visibility to a collective that is, more often than not, ignored.

All in all, it's a cute book that can serve as a good introduction.
I have mixed opinions on this book.  I've been seeking books for our children's section that have a LGBT focus.  This one definitely fits.  However, as someone who knows there's more nuance to these terms (bi =/= boy or girl but rather one or more genders) and who wishes that some terms had been swapped (asexual instead of ally, esp as the opener of the book), a lot of it just kinda.... was a bummer.

I definitely think this is a good primer but I wish it was a little different than what it is.
A lovely introduction for kids, especially those with diverse parents to introduce them happily and inclusively to terms and concepts in a positive way! Great gift for adults too.
***Thanks to the publisher and #NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

This is fantastic book that helps young people understand some of the words that have been so prevalent in society. It can be a bit confusing, but overall it is about love and acceptance.