A Ration Book Childhood

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Oct 2019

What a fantastic read its set in world war two and had me reading from start to finish I just could not put it down brilliantly written and fantastic characters.
I’ve been a huge fan of this author’s previous books so you can imagine my excitement when I discovered there was going to be another book in the series.

This author is very good at setting the scene in this book and I felt fully transported to war time London. The detailed descriptions of the blitz were incredibly vivid with the fear of the Brogan family being almost palpable at times. It must have been a very difficult time to be a parent as your primary concern is keeping your kids save which is impossible to guarantee during a war. The author also provides lots of details about rationing which was really interesting. I knew that it must have been a hard time but this book gave me more of an idea how relentless it must have been and how hungry people were.

I found myself fully absorbed into the story straight away and loved reading about the Brogan family again. I often felt like I was actually there in the book watching everything unfold which made me feel more involved in the story. I therefore felt everything that they were going through, crying and laughing alongside the family as the story progressed. I really hope this isn’t the last book in this series as I’d love to read more from the Brogan family.

Huge thanks to Rachel from Rachel’s Random resources for inviting me onto the blog tour and to Corvus for my copy of this book via Netgalley.
This is the latest release in the ration book series and I could not put it down, I was drawn into the drama in this book from the first page to the last page.
Here we revisit the Brogan family. They are all still living in the grip of WW2 and things are not getting easier with rationing becoming harder especially with Christmas just around the corner and small amount of money that they do have needing to stretch even further.
This book focuses on the life of Ida Brogan.With WW2 still hanging over the country life for all of the Brogan family is tough, but they are all still getting on with their lives as best they can while the skies are raining German bombs. Everybody is doing all they can to make ends meet and life is not always easy. Things are about to get tougher for Ida after meeting up with an old friend, a secret is reveal that rocks the life that Ida thought she had and she has some difficult decisions to make. Family is everything to Id but could this be about to tear them all apart?
I really enjoy reading this series from Jean Fullerton. She has a way of describing the scene so well that you feel like you are living life right there with all of the characters. Her description of how hard life could be whilst rationing is going on really makes you feel grateful for everything you have and gives you a good understanding of what your grandparents may have lived through. I loved reading Ida's story and seeing life through her eyes. She is a very strong character who is determined to keep her family together at all costs. They do all seem to still be able to have fun through it all and its interesting to see what rationing was like for the children from the era too.
I am looking forward to reading what comes next for the Brogan Family as they endure the rest of what WW2 has to throw at them and see how much stronger they can become.
With the ravages of World War II raining down on England, the folk of East End London have no choice but to embrace life as best as they can......but that's easier said than done.

This story picked me up and transported me back in time with vivid imagery and detail. The narrative wove delicately around difficult situations of life and love and I was enraptured by each and every word. The book generated a true sense of war comradery with folk rallying together to survive the war effort. The British spirit shone brightly off the pages and it was a true honour to meet each and every character who stepped foot into this wonderful story.

Ida Brogan cut a striking character at the heart of this story with a plight that grabbed tight hold of my emotions as she faced heartache and difficult decisions. As this was the second book in this series, each character had contextual information surrounding their situation, but the author put me at ease every step of the way and I never once felt out of the loop with how the story was unfolding.

A Ration Book Childhood was bursting at the seams with British morale in the face of war.....it was heartwarming and charming - a truly addictive read!
East End saga queen Jean Fullerton is back with an engaging, enjoyable and engrossing new tale that is simply perfect for curling up with on a cold autumn afternoon: A Ration Book Childhood.

The nightly bombing raids on the East End of London are certainly taking their toll on the local community and  wondering whether you are going to lose your home, your possessions and your loved ones in one fell swoop is enough to put the fear of God in anyone, regardless of how strong and resilient one is. The Blitz has certainly hit the Brogan family hard and nobody knows this better than Ida Brogan. Not one to allow Hitler to discourage her or browbeat her, Ida is determined to keep her spirits up and to keep her family safe, fed and clothed – a challenge when rationing gets more and more difficult with every passing day. Still, if anyone can rise to a challenge and rise above any obstacle standing in her way, it’s Ida, however, when an old friend comes to town needing her help, it looks like this might be a test that could end up costing her everything. As old secrets come to light and loyalties are tested, will Ida manage to keep her head above water? Or is she about to lose it all?

Ellen, Ida’s oldest friend, is sick and needs Ida’s help. Ida is not one to turn away a friend in need, however,
Ellen happens to be somebody is possession of a specific piece of information that could jeopardise everything and everyone Ida cares about. Secrets that could threaten not just Ida’s marriage, but also the entire foundation of the Brogan household. The past has kept a tight hold over Ida for years, but with her friend having nobody to turn to, can Ida find it in her heart to let bygones be bygones and forgive her friend? With a little boy about to need not just a home and a roof over his head, but somebody to see him through a very dark time, can Ida find a place for him in the Brogan household? Or is she going to let her stubbornness and her fear get in the way of doing what in her heart of hearts she knows is the right thing?

Jean Fullerton deftly blends laughter, sadness, tears, pathos, family strife and romance in a wonderful saga that is ideal for losing oneself into. A Ration Book Childhood is a terrific tale of hardship, heartache, letting of the past and triumphing over adversity that will bring tears to readers’ eyes as they find themselves completely captivated by this first class saga.

Ida Brogan is a fabulous character readers really grow to care for. She is good-hearted, generous, believable and somebody readers would love to have fighting in their corner during a difficult time. The supporting characters in A Ration Book Childhood are wonderfully nuanced, brilliantly fleshed out and they leap off the pages from the off.

A must-read saga that is perfect for fans of Call the Midwife, A Ration Book Childhood is an uplifting, emotional and warm-hearted read from an immensely talented writer: Jean Fullerton.
A Ration Book Childhood is a welcome return to our favourite family in the East End of London. We first met the Brogan family with book one in the series, Pocketful of Dreams, however, I didn't meet them until book two, A Ration Book Christmas. Jean Fullerton's writing puts you at the heart of the era and setting and you can feel the atmosphere within the pages. This made it so easy for me to pick up the series starting at book two; Jean Fullerton welcomes you with open arms into a family that has lived with emotional and physical scars from the war but there is a common feeling of fighting spirit and warmth throughout. The Ration Book series is a wonderful family wartime saga set during WWII in the East End of London, an area that is full of hard-working families that have pooled their strengths during this time of unease and this clearly shows with the community spirit prevalent amongst every street.
The Brogan family are now in a routine with the war with adults and children knowing their place whether it's helping out with the war effort or seeking cover in the many shelters within the city. However, with the rations now in full force it's getting more and more difficult to ensure food is provided for growing families. Ida Brogan is working many long hours to help keep the 'wolf from the door' as well as her voluntary work helping those in distress. When Ida bumps into her old friend Ellen she learns that helping those in need has come knocking at her door. Ida's life of what she knew has been rocked to the core but Ida later learns that she has to find the love, courage and strength to accept what life has thrown her way.
A Ration Book Childhood is a story of survival and a story of acceptance. Accepting what life has delivered and providing a solution that can only be given with the love and forgiveness of family. The author, Jean Fullerton, has written an authentic WWII saga that is full of endearing and at times cheeky characters that will charm you. You will be captivated by their plight and enthralled by this fictional tale that brings history to life. I can highly recommend the Ration Book series for lovers of historical sagas, for readers who enjoy reading about the social interaction of families during wartime and for readers who enjoy a good romance between couples who have to overcome many struggles.
An atmospheric family wartime saga that will charm and captivate you.
A Ration Book Childhood is the third book in the East End Ration Series by Jean Fullerton. You can read this book as a standalone but as the series is based on the Brogan family it is nice to read more about the characters that are focused on in the previous books.

The main focus of this book falls on the matriarch of the family, mother, wife, aunty - Ida Brogan. Throughout the trials and tribulations of the war, Ida has been the rock of the family. The love and support from her husband have given her strength when she has needed it most. So when a friend returns to town with a secret, Ida's life is turned upside down. When that friend needs to ask a huge favour of her, one that could put the nail in the coffin of Ida's now rocky marriage she doesn't know if she can deal with the pain of fighting for the love she once felt with her husband. Ida has always been strong but has she got the strength to keep her family together?

This book was such an emotional read. To read how people coped during the war years, how they carried on despite the food rationing, the constant need for staying in bomb shelters, the loss of loved ones, of their homes, of the constant worry for their men fighting the enemy. How they managed to carry on living their lives despite all that was thrown at them really fills me with awe. Ida Brogan and her family may be a fictional family but the author tells an amazing story with them one that makes me wish that they had been relatives of mine so that they could have told me their stories over and over again. I would be proud to have Ida Brogan as my grandmother or great grandmother.

I loved this book, I cannot fault it and I recommend it wholeheartedly. It and the others in the series are ones that I will definitely read again. In fact, I would love to see the series turned into one for the television or even a film. It would make amazing viewing.
Having read 'A ration book Christmas' it was good to catch up with the Brogans again. This is a heart-breaking story of love, betrayal and forgiveness - the author manages to tap into all the reader's emotions leaving you feeling completely wrung out by the end. Once again, against the backdrop of war, the human spirit triumphs and none of us know how we would rise to the challenge unless we faced the same dilemmas. I am not sure, however, that many of us would be able to show Ida's generosity of spirit. This book will make you laugh and cry, often at the same time.
A superb third novel in what is a beautifully written and meticulously researched series!

With the blitz hitting London hard, the Brogan family are struggling through the war along with everyone else, suffering from lack of almost everything which makes life worth living. In true British fashion, they are digging their heels in and making the very best of things but severe hardships lie ahead . . .

I'm very fond of a wartime domestic saga - and this is undoubtedly one of the best! Jean Fullerton creates wonderful family dynamics and, with skilful writing and a chain of believable events, has produced a terrific family saga. The Brogan family is filled with individual characters each with their own personalities, trials and tribulations and as a new generation arrives they are expanding in several directions. As anyone knows, life is not always rosy and Ida Brogan has more than her fair share of worries. This is a very observant piece of work from an author who obviously understands what it takes to keep a reader's attention, and it's a very satisfying novel. Being that there's a considerable chunk of the war still to go, I expect there will be more to come and I'm already fizzing with anticipation! A vivid, true-to-life tale with plenty of surprises along the ways and totally deserving of a full five stars - which I'm more than happy to give!

My thanks to publisher Corvus for my copy via NetGalley, and to Rachel's Random Resources for my place in this Blog Tour. This is my honest, original and unbiased review.
The sense of community, family and the austerity of wartime London is conveyed well in this historical family saga. Part of the ‘Ration Book’ series, none of, which I have read, it works well as a standalone. However, the engaging characters, historical detail and sense of place, make me want to read the earlier books.

1941, London has suffered two long years of war, rationing makes living difficult, and the ever-present threat of nightly bombing means that living each day to the full, and appreciating your family is vital. Ida Brogan is a character who does this, she values her family and still loves her husband, but the return of an old friend in need makes her question everything that has gone before. The main plot focuses on her struggle to come to terms with this unwanted knowledge, and how it affects the family she holds so dearly.

There are many subplots interwoven into the story that gives it authenticity, depth and variety, which keeps the reader turning the pages. Outstanding characters are Ida, Jeremiah and Queenie. They are complex and believably flawed. The plot is well-paced and gives enough detail for you to appreciate the ambience of London’s EastEnd in WW2, without slowing the pace. The relationships, rationing and sense of community are beautifully conveyed and relatable. They made me recall my grandparents’ and parents’ wartime experiences, retold on numerous occasions during my childhood.

A lovely blend of family drama and history, with a realistic balance of humour and poignancy.

I received a copy of this book from Atlantic Books – Corvus via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I absolutely loved this book it is historical fiction at its best a brilliant story following the Brogan family in the heart of London during World War II. A great demonstration of how families pulled together and looked out for one another during this tough time. A story reflective of how families used to look after their own and no matter how bad their circumstances they found a way to move forward and look on the brightside.
Queenie was a superb character that made me smile, she was full of the Irish charm that just jumped off of the page as you were reading. A book that gave an insight to a close knit family during the destruction of war and how blood is always thicker than water.
An amazing and poignant book, well written and engrossing.
It's the first I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
I appreciated the well described historical setting, the fleshed out cast of characters and the plot.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
It feels wrong to say I loved this because of the state of affairs during this time period but I loved it. Easy to read, good chapters and loveable characters, well most were! If you love novels set during WW2 then this is a must read. I can’t imagine what women went through but the main female characters shone out as Trojan’s. Great descriptions of what went on during this period. Thanks Jean Fullerton and NetGallery
I absolutely fell in love with this saga when I read A Ration Book Christmas last year, and have been eagerly awaiting the next instalment ever since. This is another must-read story that I'd strongly recommend for readers who enjoy historical family stories. This saga speaks to me personally because I can see many parallels with my own family's wartime experiences.

A Ration Book Childhood picks up the story of the Brogan family in October 1941. Stella has married Charlie and they have a son, Patrick. Charlie is in the army, now fighting in North Africa. The wonderfully stoic Ida helps Stella with childcare so that she can work the night shift in a factory canteen.

Queenie, Ida's mother-in-law, is still taking bets for Fat Tony, and her son, Jeremiah, is still scraping a living as a rag and bone man, and working nights with the heavy rescue. Jeremiah comes up with a business idea to earn a bit more cash but suffers a setback when Samson, his horse, killed.

Mattie and Cathy are married with their own babies, and Jo is desperate to marry Tommy, and has asked Ida to persuade Jeremiah to let them marry at Whitsun next year.

The youngest Brogan, Billy, overhears a disturbing conversation and starts to play up.

The main plot revolves around a friend from Ida's past appearing with an unwelcome surprise for Ida and her family. Despite her initial devastation at this revelation, Ida pulls herself together and adds another burden to her load.

A Ration Book Childhood is a really well written and researched story. I love the historical details which kept popping up, such as the siren suit, the bombing raids, the food rations, and the attack on Pearl Harbor. But the real story is about an East End family getting on with the ups and downs of day-to-day life during WWII. They have enough challenges to face without having to toddle off to the air raid shelter every night, the constant worry about being bombed out, queuing half the morning for food rations, and generally just scraping by all the time.

The Author's Note at the end of the book is also worth reading, talking about Fullerton's own family living in the East End of London and the system of evacuation of the children.

I found this to be a really engrossing read. I was already hanging by a thread after A Ration Book Christmas, wanting to know whether Stella would indeed marry Charlie, and why she wanted him, when he was so obviously not right for her. Stella doesn't get any better in this story. So now I'm waiting for the next book in this series, and hoping that life will improve for the Brogans, of whom I've become very fond.
I really enjoyed reading this book.  It has a great plot, excellent main characters and I read it in one sitting!  I would highly recommend this book.
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
First time reading this Author and thoroughly enjoyed this book
A real cosy book taking us back to hard times but great camaraderie  between  neighbour's  life was hard but people  made the mist of the situation  I can highly recommend this  FANTASTIC  book
This is a very good book that is a perfect holiday read.
It is well written and the storyline is at the right pace.
Excellent book. I will look for more books by this author
Fantastic read.
This author never fails to keep you enthralled with each page. Hopefully this isn't the last we read of The Brogans.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  I was not born in this era but have heard stories.  This is a good family read and explains a lot about the difficulties people had to go through.
Jean Fullerton has done it again. Capturing the lives around war and rationing. Ida doing the good thing when it comes to her best friend who is dying. Showing you may not have much but utmost love to your kids and family and overcoming hurdles that would split some families up. Queenie a total star!!