Live Big, Love Bigger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

When I heard that Kathryn was writing a book, my prayer was that she would somehow capture her encouraging, sassy self on the pages as she pointed people back to their relationship with Christ. Well, she managed to do just that. I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review, and I have to tell you that my honest review included texting my best friend after I finished Chapter 1, telling her to preorder a copy for herself...and if she didn't, I would be ordering it for her. If you have ever struggled with trying to prioritize what the world expects of your family and what God expects of your family, Kathryn's book will provide you with the hard questions you need to ask to determine if you're on the right track. Sassy, sweet, and full of heart-stopping poignant moments, Live Big, Love Bigger is one of my favorite reads of 2019!
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

Popular blogger Kathryn Whitaker is a Dr Pepper super fan, Aggie-loving, type-A mom of six with a personality the size of her native Texas. The stressful premature birth of her fifth child threw her orderly world into chaos and ultimately led her to rethink her priorities. In Live Big, Love Bigger, Whitaker shares her journey and challenges you to understand that you, too, can live a life of authenticity with joy-filled purpose, love, and faith. Along the way, she’ll help you see that choosing to say no is the only way you’ll be able to say yes to what matters most—Jesus.

It’s not every family who would plan a week-long Texas barbecue pilgrimage for a family of eight, much less expand the idea to a multi-month quest to experience the state, eat amazing food, and visit some awesome religious sites along the way. But Kathryn Whitaker did it—when she decided imperfect family road trips trumped a vacation at a luxury resort. "

"Barbecue encouraged us to hit the road, while Jesus met us at every single stop along the way—proof that he loves brisket as much as we do, right?"

Ditching the fancy vacation was one way Whitaker learned to give up control and say no to perfectionism and over-achievement in order to live a new, more intentional life and discover what God truly has in store for her family.

Whitaker’s sassy authenticity will make you laugh—and cry—while encouraging you to be honest about mistakes in every area of your life, embrace them, and find a way to let God redeem it all.

This is a funny yet endearing book - Kathryn Whitaker is a force to be reckoned with! Her style of writing is breezy and enjoyable and despite the "whole lotta Jesus" slant to the book, I am pretty sure that any person of any religion would enjoy this book. (I have to admit I was expecting her to be a Texan Southern Baptist - not that that mattered in the end - maybe I watch too much RHOD to just assume that! The move from Evangelical worship to Catholicism is explained in the book, BTW ...)

The memoir was a joy to read and now I am hungry for BBQ at 6 am and there is no good BBQ to be found anywhere near me - darn it!!! 	As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🍖🥩🍗🍔🌭
I truly enjoyed reading this book. I laughed and found myself shaking my head yes as I related to so much in this book. Couples ministry is something that I am very passionate about and this book had my attention from the first page.  Loved the truths in this book.
Live Big, Love Bigger by Kathryn Whitaker was truly a refreshing read. I am a mom of five children, but of much younger ones, and it was so wonderful to read her book as she took us through her life as a mom of six and their many adventures in life and her adventures in the spiritual life. It was so pleasant to understand and relate to her good times and her bad times. I'm so grateful for women who put themselves in the forefront and offer a rare and raw manuscript of their life as a big Catholic family. After following Kathryn's blog and social media for many years, her book was such a wonderful addition. I'm so grateful for the chance to read her book and review it. I hope that every woman/wife/mom reads this book. There are so many lessons we can learn and what better way than to learn from those who are more experienced. Thank you, Kathryn, for writing such a fantastic book! I can't wait to purchase copies and give them to all my friends as gifts!
An excellent book, especially for moms to show how God interacts in all of our lives, including the busy ones of family life. Whitacker is honest about her struggles as the mom of six kids in Texas. She does a great job of showing how God can be present in all parts of our lives and how to be aware of this.
Honest, heartfelt, and oozing with the sweet southern charm that Kathryn Whitaker exudes.  It’s relatable, with the perfect mix of faith and humor that will inspire and comfort many wives and mothers no matter their season in life.
This was a sweet story of this family having so much fun after some traumatic situations. It was uplifting and precious. I enjoyed most of it but I hate Texas.
I love “Live Big, Love Bigger”!  I felt like I was being welcomed into Kathryn Whitaker's head and heart as I read this book. Her genuineness and transparency draw us in and invite us to open our hearts as well. Perhaps the best evidence that I enjoyed this book is that I kept on thinking to myself: "this person should read this book", or, "So-and-so will LOVE this book!'  I plan to recommend it to many friends and parishioners.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and I so enjoyed this book.  The story is Kathryn Whitaker, her family, and Jesus.  There were sad times, happy times, stressful times and at all times Jesus was right there with them.  My favorite part of the book was when she was thinking about her family and how busy they were, it seemed like everyone was cramming as much as possible into their life now, striving for perfection so she decided to have a six-month moratorium.  There were mistakes along the way, but it was ok.  As she said,  find a way to let God redeem it all.
Live Big, Love Bigger is not just for Catholics, it is a book that most people would enjoy and get so much from.  It is life with a breath of fresh air.
This was such a fun read! I enjoyed it so much that I ended up reading it in one sitting!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Sometimes we experience things in life that change us forever.  In this charming memoir, Kathryn  shares the profound impact her premature son’s birth on her life. In the loss of control over this situation, she experienced the transforming power of God.  In this touching tale, Kathryn shares with us the the  “Lessons from Luke” - intentional prayer, priestly relationships, digital life, marriage, holy friendships, joy and order, family vacations, self-care, and family culture and how they
 brought her closer to Him, her family and friends.  A long time lover of Kathryn’s blog, as soon as I started this book, I was immediately hooked. It made me rethink relationships, ponder the intentionality of my life as a daughter of God and how I can love my family more.  Told with wit and sass, this little gem with be on my ‘books to revisit often’ shelf..