Fox Theory

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Dec 2019

A nightmare to try and describe, just read the damn thing.
I enjoyed this book a lot, but it is hard to process.  Just trust yourself to start reading, and see where the rabbit hole goes...
I loved the cover. The content I'm still not sure. It felt like a series of TED talks given by any new character appearing in the book and leading the main guy into a Mad Max / Jason Bourne journey lasting just one paragraph until the next TED speaker. While all the theories presented here are based on real science and I somehow was familiar with most of them, ranging from physics to economics through genetics, marketing and evolution, I never knew if I should read the book as a scientific review or as a Dan Brown book twisting facts to mislead the reader into believing they're true. The theories synthesized together to create a broad theory of life was interesting but the plot and the writing were switching between overly action movie or super bland. This is a part one out of three books and I'm getting tired of books in bits, I'm not sure I'm ready to read 2 more tomes to know how it ends.
Overall I enjoyed this book I really enjoy reading science fiction and will trudge through most works that I pick up. Fox Theory really tested my commitment to finish books that I pick up. The philosophical discussions felt more academic in nature as opposed to interesting comments that the character would say or be thinking. I stuck with the book because the premise of the story was good but I would not strongly recommend because it felt like reading half sci-fi dystopian novel half academic paper / non-fiction book on philosophy. While I enjoy all of those forms the balance of it in Fox Theory for me did not work. I would recommend to hardcore fans of sci-fi but not to general readers of sci-fi who only pick up sci-fi titles that land on best sellers lists. I really think I need to take this on for a second read to properly enjoy what he is doing here.
A really intersting and engaging book - part social philosophy, part techno-gazing and always interesting. I read it very quickly becauseI kept waiting to find out what happened next. So it was a bit of a wrench to get to the cliffhanger ending! That said, I will look out for the next book in the series as I have a background in some of the areas of expertise asked for and will be keen to find out how these get woven into the storyline, Can't wait to read it, and William Topchiev is now on my list of authors to look out for. Highly recommended indeed.
I don't have much to say about this one (must be my mood at the moment) other than I enjoyed it. The author is very imaginative and writes good dialog. It is a "thinkers" novel written in an unusual style and difficult to categorize its genre; mainly sci-fi. Recommended.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
This book had an interesting premise, but the writing style was just not for me. I had trouble liking any of the characters and it made it really difficult to get into the story. The synopsis and cool cover art drew me in, but I did not end up enjoying this book like I had hoped.
Topchirv builds a world that is propelled along by interesting ideas and well-written dialogue.  Creative and inventive.