Cover Image: Olive, Again

Olive, Again

Wonderfully written.  I think I would read anything Elizabeth Strout writes.  Olive is unapologetically herself and I don't believe for a second that only nice or good people should have their stories told.  I could never be sure whether I liked Olive or loathed her but she existed for me in these pages and that is more than enough.
Elizabeth Strout is a master of the beautifully written spare prose, and this book proves it yet again. No word is wasted. This collection of interconnected stories features the return of lovable mistanthrope Olive Kitteridge, now adjusting to life in a post-Henry world. Even characters who appear only fleetingly are fully drawn. Highly recommended for Strout’s wordsmith skills alone.
What can I say? Olive is back and it is as profound and fabulous a book as its predecessor. Olive has aged, and is now in a marriage with Jack, the Harvard professor. Things with her son are not great, and more and more of her friends are either dying or in care homes. Oliver, same as ever, spends her time walking, contemplating her life, and ruminating on age, relationships, and especially the relationships with all the men she loved - from her father, through her son to her two husbands. Full of heart and profound insights into human life, this is a book that opens a window into human nature like no other.
Strout is an absolute master of conveying so much in few words. This novel, spanning a longer time-period than  'Olive Kitteridge', is even more masterful.

While not particularly likeable, Olive is such a relatable and realistic character and one I could happily spend more time with, although as with the previous instalment, this is not all about Olive. Strout manages to weave multiple threads together again to give us a poignant tale of lives lived.

This is a stunning continuation of Olive's story - it was wonderful to back in her world again. Really, all one needs to say is this: If you enjoyed Olive Kitteridge, then you'll love this. If you don't know Olive yet you have a wonderful treat in store for you!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this book I just couldn't connect with the writing style or characters at all. There's no sense in writing a full review about a book that just fundamentally wasn't something I enjoyed. Review not posted anywhere else.
Not quite as enjoyable as the first 'Olive' book but nothing but gratitude that we got another novel's-worth...
I love Elizabeth Strout. I love how she writes about life.

I cannot say this was better than the first Olive, but it was amazing to revisit this character- real, ordinary, but still wildly interesting.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Penguin Books UK for this book. This is the 2nd Olive book and I really enjoyed it. Essentially it's a gentle meander through the latter part of Olive's life, featuring stories of people and encounters. Beautifully written, Strout is a very talented writer.
I did not realise this was a sequel when I requested it, however, this did not detract from my enjoyment of the book at all. I very much enjoyed this and will be hunting out the first in this series!
One of the most beautiful books I have read. It is a sequel and I had not read the previous book before Reading this one and that did not distract from the book at all

A simple story of an older woman who is misunderstood in her intentions you hear how with the best intentions relationships can fall down.

It caused me to reflect on my own relationship with my family and how we can easily miscommunicate and how that can shape relationships over time

A brilliant book I would recommend to anyone
Wow. You have to hand it to Olive what a woman. The author has the ability to absorb you in Olive's world and encapsulates everything around her with such amazing clarity. A must-read.
She is back.  I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this book for an honest review.  I first had to introduce myself to the first book Olive Kitteridge before reading this.

It is similar to the first book but this one feels more like short stories that are intertwined and Olive just plays a small part in the overall novel.  A lot of people criticise Olive, but I find her honest, self reflecting and she does a lot of good/kind things in this novel.  It just goes to show how much a person is capable of change, even in their 80's.   If you want an action novel, this wouldn't be for you, but if you want a novel that is finely tuned to and explores peoples foibles, traits, personalities and human nature,  then you will devour this book and all its details.
Everyone lives. Everyone dies. Love is all. Love means different things when viewed from the end of a long life, when you’ve descended into frailty and aloneness.

Olive, Again is beautiful. We see the last fifteen or so years of her life. Her late blossoming romance and second marriage. Her distant and then somehow closer relationship with her son. What happens when everyone you’ve ever known or loved is far away or no longer here.

And you know what, it’s not bad. In fact, it’s strangely beautiful. Life is all about the people we travel beside. Some for longer times than others. Some more impactful. All important. All part of a beautiful whole.

I think Elizabeth Strout is a bit of a genius.
It took me a while to get into the book, but I think that was because I hadn't read the first. Once I wrapped my head around the character, I was off, and I very much enjoyed my time with Olive.
It was wonderful to catch up with Olive, Again. I loved it as much as the original.
Elizabeth Strout never disappoints and I love how her novels interact with eachother to create a real world.
Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout is a lovely collection of stories, all linking loosely and yet all perfectly readable as stand alone short stories. I enjoyed reading about Olive again and recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a well written tale.
I haven’t read the first book Olive Kitteridge, from the synopsis it seemed as though it really didn’t matter as this book would also stand alone. The only problems for me was that I just couldn’t get in to this book at all. Even though the synopsis for this book really interested me, as a book I would enjoy to read. I really really struggles with it.

I only managed to get 11% of the way through this book. I even contacted another blogger that I follow as she also had this book from NetGalley. I read her review and asked her if the book got any better. For my fellow blogger she enjoyed the book, but she said that if I’d got that far and was struggling with it that I would struggle all the way though. As the story carries on virtually the same all the way through. So for me I’m sorry to say that I didn’t finish the book and I can only give it 1 Star. I really, really do not like to not finish a book.
This was an excellent book, moving me close to tears on several occasions. I was reluctant to attempt it initially without reading the first book, but then I saw that it was available as a mini-series on TV and having watched that I was hooked on this beautifully drawn, complex character. An episodic plot spanning several years. but beautifully written, very compact but sublime. A joy to read.
It was lovely to be able to follow plain speaking Olive on in her life and the new relationship. Superby written and very moving at times. I think we all have a little bit of Olive inside us.
I fell in love with Olives character n the first book and this second book certainly did not disappoint! She is a cantankerous woman and a bit of a battle axe, exactly who I plan to be in my later years which are fast approaching! Excellent book!