The Silent Ones

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jul 2019

Interesting. It held my attention and made me want to know more. A great story with a great twist. Great!
Contrary to lots of other reviews, I just couldn't get into this story.  Perhaps it was due to the dark nature of this thriller and it involving children, specifically someone's daughter and a cousin.  It was also a little sad.  Dark and sad just isn't my thing.
A great book!  Loved it so much!  The writing was great and kept me on my toes. I read it in one sitting.  The setup was masterfully pieced together.
This morning, I was packing up lunches, ironing, putting on the laundry I should have done last night. Now my precious daughter is accused of murder.

When ten-year-old cousins Maddy and Brianna are arrested for a terrible crime, Maddy’s mother Juliet cannot believe it. How could her bright, joyful daughter be capable of such a thing?

As the small village community recoils in horror, the pressure of the tragedy blows Juliet and her sister’s lives apart. And things get even worse when their daughters retreat into a self-imposed silence. Can anyone reach Maddy and discover the truth before her fate is sealed?

Juliet is crushed. Nothing will ever be the same for her darling girl. But she knows that to find out what really happened that day, she and her sister must unlock the secrets of their own terrible past, a past they swore never to speak about again …
wow! K.L. Slater never disappoints!  This book was awesome!  Riveting from page one!

If you want a book that you simply cannot put down you need to read this!

An elderly lady is attacked in her home and two young cousins are taken into custody for questioning.  Evidence places them at the scene but both girls refuse to speak. Their families rush to the police station and quickly take sides.

Maddy's mother, Juliet cannot believe that her daughter could do something so violent and is intent on trying to get her to talk about what happened.

Brianna's mother Chloe is adamant her daughter is the innocent party and the sisters find themselves divided.

The family have a past that they have never been able to recover from and this is the icing on the cake.  The already dysfunctional family begins to unravel.

#netgalley #KLSlater #TheSilentOnes
Thank you Netgalley, Bookouture and K. L. Slater.
This is the story of two young cousins who are accused of killing an eighty year old woman.
They will not talk to anyone about what happened.
The story revolves around both cousins family and the secrets that have been part of their lives.
I love K.L. Slater books, they are captivating, well written.
I will continue to read more books that this author publishes.
Recommend 4 stars
Two ten year old girls accused of murder , two mothers convinced of their innocence. One dead elderly lady,one dark secret and no words being spoken.

This book follows the lives of Maddy, Brianna ( who are cousins ) and their families in the hours after the girls have been accused of murder . As the police and detectives starts trying to piece together what exactly has happened they hit a snag . The girls have decided to stop talking .

As the pressure rises the family’s dysfunctional behaviour starts to show its face . Which leads detectives to believe that there is more to this story than they first thought .

This book was an easy read for me .  It was well written and the storyline flowed nicely .  I did feel as if not very much happened in the story until towards the end , that being said the story line was still a good read .

The issues with the family did seem to take over a bit from the fact the girls were being held on suspicion of murder however it did add another element to the story which gave a great insight into the characters .

The plot twist at the end was perfect, shocking and out of nowhere !!!! I couldn’t fault the ending apart from I wanted more of it .  An unpredictable ending that was  seamlessly woven into the storyline all along !

Thankyou to Netgalley, K.L Slater and Bookouture for sending me a copy of this book to review.
An elderly woman is brutally attacked in her own home. All the evidence point to the two ten-year-olds, Brianna and Mandy, but there may be something more sinister at play...

While it’s not bad, I did not like this book as much as I did the writer’s previous books. I enjoy a book when I am able to connect to and feel for the characters. I didn’t like any of the characters in this one.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc.
This was a great edge of your seat book! This book kept me captivated the whole time! I could not put it down!
Two cousins, not the nicest girls, harass and old lady. That lady dies.  Now the entire village has torches and pitchforks. Out for blood.  We, the reader, get to delve into the lives of one of the worst families I've read in awhile.  There are a few twists and turns and no one really looks great when it is all over.  Yes, we all secretly love our own children over all others.  Sure.  But we shouldn't choose a favorite child or grandchild.  The author takes us from characters' understandable thoughts to something so dark and ugly.  A good, twisted, short read.
I've always been a huge fan of KL Slater. I pretty much love everything she comes out with. Each novel is creative and different.

This was no different. I loved the idea of the two cousins being silent and what they were accused of. I love her writing style. She paints such a perfect story and I will seriously read anything she publishes. I loved that this followed the current story of the cousins then back in the past with the sisters.

I have her other books to review and read as well, and if it's anything like this one, I'll love those also.
*thank you to Netgalley, K.L. Slater and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

5 stars.

Ohh this book! It is one of those that you really don't want to have to put down. It wasn't full on intense or dramatic but the story was so good! It was interesting and I really wanted to know what was going on. I HATED, (yep strong word but it's a strong feeling I felt), the family. The Grandparents (well the grandfather/dad I didn't mind) and the sister Chloe. Their personalities I couldn't stand and maybe it's because I have a similar family so I let it get a bit personal but yeah. They pressed a button in me and I kept wishing Juliet would walk away from them because she would be so much better off.

Anyway. Let me take a moment to say that the ending brought tears to my eyes and covered me in goosebumps. It was such a sweet moment that seemed small but was really rather huge. I can't say what because of a spoiler, but it made me smile.

The big twist, I didn't see coming. Which was a really nice and welcomed thing due to reading a lack of that at the moment. K.L Slater is definitely a favourite author of mine and I can't want to read another of her books. I would highly recommend this.
Really enjoyed this book but then I always enjoy K L Slater's books! Highly recommend
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.
A little old lady is dead and two ten year old girls stand accused. This is a very well written story about a horrible incident and the horrible family involved.
The story of 2 girls and one horrendous crime caught me unaware as I read. There were so many layers to this story, layers I thought I understood but really didn't. The way the author wove the idea of destructive family secrets was compelling and I thoroughly enjoyed the read!
Another great read from KL Slater.  Characters were well developed and twists came when you least expected them. A great ending I did not see coming.
Two ten year-olds are accused of a terrible crime. And they refuse to speak.
​
The book opens with the horrible crime but the names and motives are not explained. Great hook. Then it reveals that the perpetrators are two cousins, their mothers being sisters. They refuse to speak, but in different ways - they don't speak of the truth about family secrets.

It was a pleasure to read something set in a place I know well for a change. Nottingham is fewer than thirty miles from where I live and it is where I studied. I know the lace market but more than that I know how bad the traffic is, something I was glad to see included.

There is a lot that is familiar in this novel beside the location. The narrative and language used is up to date, easy phrases and references to common culture as well as famous British criminal cases involving children. It is not a gory read but focuses on the mothers and a psychologist and how they deal with such a sensitive and delicate issue. When nobody speaks, how can the truth be discovered? That is theme throughout.

It is interesting to see how young children are dealt with by the police in this country and the stress is causes all concerned. The mothers (sisters) approach the situation differently but both believe that their child could not commit a crime such as this. The big reveal at the end is slightly familiar and a tad unrealistic and there are too many faces that 'darken', but these are the only weak points. The story highlights how people can quickly turn against others, and the way we all referer to social media, and are influenced by it, is very timely.

The book is well paced, easy to read and identify with (if you live in England anyway) and keeps the reader's attention. Recommended.
I listened to The Apartment by this author a few months ago and really enjoyed it so I was looking forward to reading this book. I’m pleased to say it lived up to my hopes for it. The Silent Ones follows the immediate aftermath of an elderly lady being assaulted in her own home and two ten year old girls being arrested on suspicion of the attack. Neither girl will speak about what happened. The two girls are cousins and have grown up very close with their mums being sisters. The family dynamics are fascinating and tense as this book progresses. The parents of the sisters side with one over the other and we gradually find out what has happened in the past. Alongside this the two cousins begin to talk about what happened. The tension builds to such a level in this book that I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how everything was going to unfold. I really enjoyed this book and absolutely recommend it!
I really enjoyed the silent ones. It kept me interested the entire time and I kept wanting to know what was going to happen. The only negative thing I really have to say is that at times it was hard for me to figure out who’s POV I was reading.
I huge Thank You to The author, The publisher and Netgalley for providing the e-arc in exchange for a unbiased review of these works

another triumph by K. L Slater, twist and turn galore and the ending left me open mouthed in shock!
I received a free e-copy of The Silent Ones by K.L. Slater from NetGalley for my honest review.

Two cousins (Maddy and Brianna) become involved in a murder investigation after an old woman is brutally killed.   The girls refuse to talk to anyone at first.  But then there are secrets that are revealed that will shock everyone and change their lives forever.

A thrilling and mysterious read that grips you from the beginning!