Blood Awakens

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Sep 2019

The premise of this book was really intriguing but I think it could have been executed better. There were so many perspectives and characters to remember that I don't feel like I know any character particularly well and so when they make a decision it seems confusing. The book seemed rushed throughout, not helped by the multiple perspectives. More information on the different types of awakened would be better as the lists of the different types mean very little without a brief overview. I enjoyed it enough to finish but I'm not sure I'll continue with the series.
This book was hands down one of the best books I've read this summer. Starting from the very 1st page all the way too the end. Each and every single one of the characters suck you in, and I can't wait to read book 2. Did I mention that the book cover alone is worthy.

Rating 4
Fantasy, violence, family, love and sanctuary. Our heros all experience these emotions and events which change their lives and the lives of those around them. If you ever wanted a book that incorporated empathic abilities and the ability to control one's blood, without biting them, this is the perfect book for you. The pace varies throughout but you will be drawn in and will often ask yourself, "How would I have handled that". The author leaves room for a part two but many will want a Sean only edition. Would love to see this in movie form.
I was really surprised by this book. A futuristic fantasy story of how the world could be if some of us had special powers, and some of us didn't! It kinda reminded me of Darkest Minds but better, tbh.
It was fresh and unique and I'm really looking froward to reading more of this series!
I tried several times to get into this book, but it just wasn't happening for me. The dialogue felt unnatural and I never managed to connect with a character. This shouldn't be considered a "bad" review, but a "shrug" review. I'm sure there are going to be big fans of this book out here, alas, I am not one of them.
A futuristic fantasy story of how the world could be if some of us had special powers, and some of us didnt! Would you stand by your loved ones or turn them away as an abomination? Complexities of families and of course, a little bit of romance
This book was received as an ARC from Jessaca Willis Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I have never read a book like this before and I mean this in a spectacular way. Fantasy books are my all time favorite genre especially when it involves powers, superhuman/vampire qualities to the characters and plot. But these powers were so unique that they were packed with impressive abilities but also consequential at the same time. The battle Sean had to go through to witness his brother being murdered and the connection he got with his dark power to read and connect to blood was unlike anything I have ever read before and it lead to many obstacles that were exciting and unexpected. But then just when this power seemed unreal, it came with major consequences that Sean and Graciela were not remotely prepared for and they seek to Central America to find a cure for this dark power and put an end to it once and for all. This book is packed with drama, adventure and conflict to the max and was an invigorating experience.

We will consider adding this to our Adult Fantasy collection at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
within the first page or two i had been drawn into the story, intrigued from the outset, hungry to read  more, i enjoyed the way it gained pace and the writing was excellent and the way it went through each character and their back story throughout the book although set in the future you felt as though the story could be fact instead of fiction. and the way the book ended has me in anticipation to read the next installment later in the year.

excellent book by the author Jessaca Willis
Going to be honest, i struggled with this book in the beginning, thought it was very slow and not enough time spent on world building.

We bounce around between Graciela, Santiago, Sean and Mara. We get introduced to other characters along the way but they are the main 4.

I did find Santiago extremely tedious, he spends most of his time unconcious and to be honest contributed nothing to the story whatsoever, would have preferred that time was spend on other characters.

Sean was the stand out for me, troubled, brave, a leader, but there wasnt enough back story, years were missed out, i would have liked to have seen his story from the murder of his brother to how he managed to set up Hope, but it was all skipped over.

I did very much enjoy the explanation of teleportation and what it felt like which was very cool.

It was left on a cliffhanger for the sequel. Would i read it? Not sure to be honest.
Jessaca Willis was able to deliver with her debut series "Blood Awakens". This groundbreaking urban fantasy series started off slow and my initial intake was standoffish but once I was 1/4 through, the momentum started to build up and it became a little more than difficult to put this down. From the beginning to the end, each and every individual character has their own story to share and the author was able emphasized that with the detail writing that could easily immersed anyone to the story. The struggles and life alternating moments everyone suffered through were easily felt through the pages and to sum it up this phenomenal story particularly speaks for itself. In conclusion, "Blood Awakens" is honestly one of the best books I have read this far in the second half of 2019 and would highly recommend anyone looking for dystonia fantasy novel that would surely blow their breath away.
I was not quite sure what to expect when I decided to read this book. It was reminiscent to the X-men but instead of being called "Mutants", the changed humans were called the "Awakened". The Awakened are humans who have developed "powers" that separate them from humans without those powers.; The humans who do not have these powers then discriminate against the Awakened, many times in violent fashions just like the humans and mutants in X-Men. In fact, the powers of the "Awakened" were similar with empaths, extremely strong humans, those who could listen to people's thoughts, almost a carbon copy.

This is a book that has multiple point of views which is good when all the characters are interesting. They were not, I wanted to read more about Sean's point of view but instead we got a lot of Santiago and Graciela, the two most boring characters in the whole book. The book started with Sean and then ignored him for many chapters (months passed in this book). When we meet back up with him again, it is not clear how he got to where he was and what happened after we first met him. It really took away from the story. The author attempted to redeem Santiago but it was too late, he had become so unlikable that I was simply not impressed. Overall, this is a story about how humans are unable to handle those that are vastly different from themselves and without being able to get along, death and destruction will follow.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Initially the text font and spacing threw me off,  but the story took me over. First, hurray, for characters of color that are well done and represented on the cover. And the themes of family and unity and love are true, despite the allure of easy success. Second, the world building is done well. I feel the complexity that an Awakened person must survive. Great first book!
This was totally drawn in starting with the book's cover. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down, I had to know what happened to these characters in they journey to find sanctuary. All in all the well-written characters and great world building made this a very enjoyable read.
That COVER! Kudos to the designer, Daqri Combs, because dang. If you're as blown-away as I am, you can find her other work at www.coversbycombs.com. She's brilliant.

Okay, now for the actual book.

Blood Awakens follows four people as they navigate the emergence of the Awakened and society's immediate hatred of them. Sean is what society now calls a blood guide: he can hear heartbeats and control blood flow, which can either heal people or mercilessly kill them. Graciela is an Unawakened, meaning she has no powers, but she's heavily involved because her brother is an empath. They may be different, but they all want the same thing: safety. But in a world filled with hate and bloodlust, is that even possible?

I think the writing is absolutely wonderful for a debut series, but there are definitely a few times where it seems a bit clumsy. That being said, I cannot wait to see how Willis grows as an author. She's definitely somebody to keep an eye out for in the genre!

This novel is filled with suspense and keeps you on your toes, and the characters are all easy to love and empathize with. Not to mention, the idea of a blood guide is so unique- I've never seen a similar power before.
Sorry but this one isn't for me. Since I wasn't the fright audience I won't be commenting on or reviewing this book anywhere. Many thanks for allowing me to try it in any case.
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this gripping book

and what a book it is....the awakened, people who having amazing abilities but are hounded by the unawakened and killed because the are different and possibly dangerous.....

along the way we meet several characters they are all looking for sanctuary, a place to stay safe and be among people who can help

there are good and bad in both the awakened and unawakened, but can anyone survive the blood guides...the ones that can command blood....a battle is coming...

i found this book gripping and was held captivated by this story and wanted to find out what was going to happen  to everyone and i wasnt disappointed...its a rollercoaster of a ride and a book that will make you lose sleep, and for anyone who loved the program alphas or any marvel films this book is for you

have found another author to add my list to keep an eye out for...