The Boy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Aug 2019

I have read and enjoyed many of Tami Hoag's books but I found this one really heavy going. There was just too much about the detectives and their relationships with each other and with their superiors. The murders seemed to come very low down in the author's priorities. I wouldn't recommend this.
A dark, depressing and deadly thriller!

“The Boy’’ is the second in the series of married Detectives Nick Fourcade and Annie Broussard. Both are dedicated in their respective job roles, and they certainly have enough to deal with in this dark, depressing, and deadly thriller!

There are so many simultaneous cases for Nick and Annie to solve, starting with the horrendous murder of a seven-year-old boy. Who would commit such a heinous crime? Does his mother have her hidden secrets?

Nick has to deal with an extremely difficult boss, Kelvin Dutrow, both of whom detest each other. Suffice it to say there are numerous confrontations with so many of the characters.

The reason I felt that “The Boy” should have three-stars, was because the plot dragged on for quite a while, which was a shame because it was very nearly a four stars award. If only the plot were tighter. Also I think that people in the USA would have more in common with the area, set in the Deep South. Amazingly it seems that there is so much crime in sleepy Bayou Breaux, Louisiana!

Once the plot picked up, I enjoyed the twists and turns, leading to an unexpected conclusion.

Galadriel.

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of this book to review.
MOTHER. LIAR. MURDERER?
When Genevieve's seven-year-old son is found bleeding to death in his own home, she's horrified when the police turn to her for answers. There's no evidence of a break-in, and parts of Genevieve's story don't seem to make sense. But could a mother really kill her own child?
Twenty-four hours later, teenager Nora Florette is reported missing - and panic begins to spread. Someone is preying on the local children - and the police are caught in a race against time to catch the killer.
Detective Nick Fourcade and his partner Annie Broussard must uncover the truth about Genevieve's past before it's too late. Is she simply a grieving mother? Or is she a danger to them all?

What an amazing read this was!
Very gripping and engaging story that has been very well written.
Well fleshed out characters that was nice to read about and follow.
Lots of twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat.
Love this author and recommend reading highly.

Thanks to Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Wow! My first read from this author and it will certainly not be the last. What a fantastic read. I could tell that this wasn't a debut novel, the writing was expertly paced, the characters were well developed and interacted with each other smoothly. The plot was developed well; started off introducing the characters without giving too much information and becoming a dump, and progressed by adding just the right amount of intrigue and pace so as to not make me loose interest of be over whelmed
Great story,love the characters who are well portrayed. Very intense thriller which moves quickly along.
I enjoyed book two in the Broussard and Fourcade series, it was an easy read. The plot centres on the murder of a child and there are some very unlikeable characters. The husband and wife team are drawn into bullying, abuse and power struggle as they investigate the murder of a seven year old. A very good read by Tami Hoag and I did not work out who the killer was. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
I used to read everything by Tami Hoag but I’ve fallen victim to an insane to be read pile, The Boy seemed like the perfect novel to get back on track a bit. Best decision ever – within a few pages I remembered why I loved the writing entirely and the intensely absorbing plotting.

Nick Fourcade is my new bookish hero, along with partner both professional and personal Annie Broussard- these characters absolutely light up this twisty, disturbing and very emotional tale of murder and what a tale it was.

Completely unpredictable and stunningly emotive, The Boy is an intelligent thriller, the investigative strands are beautifully handled, the sense of place is pitch perfect and it is excellent and completely riveting first page to last.

Tami Hoag has a way of embedding the characters and the action into your consciousness, this is a book I talked at as I went, often clutching my head in dismay both for and at the people I was reading about. I genuinely didn’t see the solution coming and when it did I was floored by it and it’s one of those endings that will resonate with me for a long time.

Truly excellent crime fiction.

Highly Recommended.
The murder of little KJ is just the beginning for a story holding so much pain and heartbreak, that it was not an easy read. There was a lot of things going wrong in this small town, with someone questionable in charge. Emotions running high, there are a few people looking good for the murder. When the killer is revealed and all questions are answered, it's hard not to feel some sympathy.
This is my first Tami Hoag novel and it won't be my last. The Boy is an excellent read. I didn't know it was the second book in the Broussard series but it worked for me as a standalone book.  I couldn't read this book quickly enough, it's a horrible story involving a child's murder, not an easy read! But it's definitely unputdownable.
Classic Tami she never fails to impress. This book grips you from the first page and doesn’t let you go,full of suspense and twists you don’t see coming.   A dark and intense thriller, a great read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
This is the first of Tami Hoag books that I have read although I have heard a lot of good things about this write she seems to have slipped through my purchases until now. This being the second book in the series the first one being A thin Dark Line which I now have to read.

This book despite being book two in the Broussard and Fourcade series you can read it as a stand-alone novel. Nick Fourcade and Annie Broussard are married and are detectives that work in Louisiana. Nick is called in to a scene where a seven year old boy has been murdered and the single mother narrowly missed the same fate as her son. The mother seems to have made some questionable choices regarding her parenting decisions she also seems to have had a sordid past. Having a son himself Nick takes this case more personally determined to catch the person who committed this crime.

In the meantime Annie Broussard discovers that the teenage girl  babysitting the young boy is missing. The normally quiet town people are now afraid that their children are under threat.

Throughout the book you get to know more about Broussard and Fourcade I love how their characters are developing Nick with his anger and Annie being more gentle making them a perfect match. Despite there relationship is experiencing some tension there interaction with each other is enjoyable . But learning about them doesn’t detract from the story it just helps you to be more involved and relate to the characters I love it when authors do this letting you know little bits at a time about main characters. The fact that this case feels more close to home to them both adds to the tension and makes them even more determined to catch the person responsible.

There are a number of characters that could be the murderer as Hoag cleverly weaves her story.  Giving you glimpses of each character’s way of thinking, including the murderer.

This is a tense, atmospheric thriller, with some complex characters at times the story is very dark and can be disturbing. But it is so well written and will have you gripped to the end. Can’t wait for book three in the series.

With some complex issues brought into the story. I loved this read and will be looking for more of Tami Hoag books.
It's the first book I read by Tami Hoag and won't be the last.
This author can surely write a book that will keep you hooked and this book is gripping and entertaining.
I loved the well crafted plot full of twists and turns, the character development and the setting.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
This is the second in the series featuring Detectives Nick Fourcade and Anne Broussard.
A young mum and her son are attacked in their home and Genevieve escapes and staggers to a neighbour’s house to get help.
When he arrives at the scene, Nick discovers the body of a young boy, viciously stabbed to death. The hunt is then on to find the boy’s killer.
This is a fast paced story that takes place over a short period of time and builds up to a great final few chapters, that had me on the edge of my seat.
Once again I would like to thank the Author publishers and NetGalley for providing a Kindle version of this book to read and honestly review.
The majority of books I get to review are normally from Authors new to me, that is not the case here I have read and thoroughly enjoyed several of her books, though Tami Hoag is a somewhat forgotten one, for some reason I have not read one of her books since early 2000.
So I applied for this without reading the blurb when I did I was pleased to see if featured Annie Broussard, who made her debut in the last book I had read by this Author, so imagine my surprise when I found this was only the second book in the series. Set in sweltering Louisiana this is an entertaining enjoyable murder mystery, a clever compelling well written Police procedural with the emphasis on characterization, the Author fully develops the characters throughout the book and you cannot help but become involved. Annie is brave caring feisty and smart i don't know why the Author took so long between books but hopefully we won't have to wait so long for the next one. Descriptive and imaginative the tension builds up to a tense finale.
Highly recommended.
THis is my first book by Tami Hoag and I am very impressed, absolutely brilliant writing style and storyline with great characters.
The book is gripping and full of suspense that just makes you want to keep reading.

Will definitely be reading more by this author and a very solid 5 stars.
My thanks to Orion Publishing/Trapeze for an eARC via NetGalley of Tami Hoag’s ‘The Boy’ in exchange for an honest review. It was published in hardback in December 2018 and its paperback edition is being published on 22 August 2019.

This is the second in her series featuring Detectives Nick Fourcade and Anne Broussard set in Bayou Breaux, Louisiana. Actually the first book in this series, ‘A Thin Dark Line’, was the first book I had read by Tami Hoag back in 2009. I have gone on to read a number of her other crime thrillers and found them excellent.

So I began reading ‘The Boy’ with great confidence in her skills in storytelling and characterisation. Plus, as I enjoy the combination of reading and listening, I obtained its Kindle/Audible editions.

In this troubling case a young single mother, Genevieve Gauthier, is attacked in her home. She escapes and flees to a neighbour’s house. Called to the scene Detective Nick Fourcade discovers the body of a young boy, viciously stabbed to death. This turns out to be Genevieve's seven-year old son, KJ.

In addition, Nick is still investigating a brutal assault against a 13-year old girl with non-verbal autism and is finding himself increasingly in conflict with the new Sheriff, Kelvin Dutrow, who considers Nick a rouge detective that he would love to fire.

Once started this book was almost impossible to put down. It is very fast paced and takes place over a very short period of time. It builds up to a shattering climax that had me on the edge of my seat.

As well as being a dark, intense crime thriller, Hoag powerfully evokes the atmosphere of the Louisiana bayou with its unique flora and fauna. I could so easily visualise the cypress trees heavily draped with Spanish moss.

She concludes with a short glossary of Cajun French.

A well deserved five stars.
I really enjoyed reading this book.  It has a great plot, excellent main characters and I read it in one sitting!  I would highly recommend this book.
‘You get justice in the next world. In this one you have the law,’” Nick said, quoting William Gaddis

I have enjoyed everything I've read by Tami Hoag, but its been a while since I read anything of hers so I was really excited to read this one.

The Louisiana Bayou, the background for this story, is described beautifully and really sets the tone for this atmospheric, dark and intense novel.  The feeling of claustrophobia grips you immediately and never lets go.

I had not read the first book so this was my first introduction to detectives Nick Fourcade and Annie Broussard, but I don't think that affected my enjoyment of the book, it works well as a standalone.  Their characters are superbly drawn, their relationship dynamic and with great depth, and I will definitely buy the first book to learn more of their background

"Beside her, Annie could feel Nick’s impatience humming like an electrical field around him. He had no patience for nervous talkers. He wanted answers to his specific questions. For Nick, an interview was a psychological chess match, and he was always three moves ahead of his opponent, manipulating them into corners, tricking them into giving up information. Annie, on the other hand, was willing to let people ramble, willing to sift through a lot of nonsense while mining for a few gold nuggets of truth they might not otherwise have gotten. The contrast made them an excellent team."

The other characters are also skilfully created, so much so that I could almost feel my lip curling in disgust whenever the "baddies" appeared.  The children break your heart in unexpected ways.

"Sometimes— more and more— he felt like his true self was a tiny shrunken thing living inside the giant empty shell of his body, standing on a cheekbone and peering out through a giant eye socket at a world that seemed both hyper-real and surreal".

I will give a trigger warning for child abuse, domestic abuse, sexual exploitation and suicide.  It is a tough storyline, not for the faint of heart, but for anyone who likes a multi layered thriller that keeps you guessing almost to the end, you could do no better than this superbly written, complex thriller.

This book is published on August 22nd.  I received an eArc from the publisher via Netgalley, but this review is entirely unbiased and the words are my own.
I have read other books by this author but I think this is the best one
This author writes solid books and is very good at ramping up the suspense.
This book kept me guessing until the very end
An atmospheric and disturbing book , The Boy by Tammi Hoag follows mercurial Cajun detective Nick Fourcade and his partner (and wife) Allie Broussard  as the investigate the shocking murder of a seven year old boy in his own bedroom. While the whole town is shocked by the event, and mystified as to who could do such a horrific thing, it soon becomes apparent that the dead boy may not be the only child in danger. Despite clashes with his boss Fourcade is determined to find the killer by any means necessary , but can he and Annie do it before another tragedy strikes the small town?
I loved the setting of this book, I felt like the author did a wonderful job of bringing to life  the almost claustrophobic feel of small town life,, where everyone knows every one and a stranger is immediately suspicious. I also enjoyed the characters overall though I did find Nick a little too intransigent at times, which made it harder to believe the relationship between him and Annie, though I confess that I have not read the first book, and this may be something that is more fully explained there. This book with its dark themes and sometimes graphic depictions of violence and its aftermath is not for the squeamish or faint of heart, but if that does not put you off then you will probably enjoy the book.
I read and reviewed an ARC courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher, all opinions are my own