Sophonisba Breckinridge

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 9 Sep 2019

Sophonisba Breckinridge was a remarkable woman who had a remarkable life and career but one who has been unjustly neglected by history. This is now rectified in this thoroughly researched and compelling biography which I found both informative and entertaining. As author Anya Jabour says Breckinridge was “a powerful force for social justice” throughout her life, working tirelessly for poor and disadvantaged women, particularly immigrants, and was also a tireless advocate for peace, even influencing the formation of the UN. Rights for women was always at the forefront of her work, and she was a determined and independent advocate for them. She was a feminist before the term was even used and a role model for all the campaigning women who came after her. An excellent biography of a fascinating woman.
A well-researched book, about a woman I'd never heard of!
It was quite hard going in the sense that it is well researched & full of detail rather than flowing as a novel, but I am pleased that I persevered with it.

Disclaimer: I received this book as an advance reader copy free via NetGalley. All opinions are my own
Thanks to Net Galley and Illinois Press for the chance to read and review this book.

This was a very well researched book about an interesting subject. I like to read books about women who came before me and worked for the rights I now enjoy. The author also showed a great passion for this subject.
This ARC was courtesy of netgalley - all thoughts and opinions are mine and unbiased

I really enjoyed this

You can see the author's passion for her subject in every word

This is a well-researched and well written book on a subject that is relatively new to me.  I feel privileged to have been able to read this advanced copy

Highly recommended
Anya Kanpur did a thorough research on this subject and it is easy to read. This is a interesting and a important subject.
A well-researched and interesting read, thanks largely to Jabour's passion for her subject. This is one of those books that I'm really happy someone took such care and time to write. Thank you so much for letting me read this ahead of its release date.