Don't Drink the Pink

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

I read Don't Drink the Pink with my mom by B.C.R. Fegan and we both loved it. This book brought out the excitement and also sadness when Madeline experienced one of her favorite people going away. And after the sadness came happiness again and left us both feeling overjoyed for Madeline. We loved this book and will recommend this to everyone who has little children...and even adults. A fun and heart story for sure! Can't wait to read more from this author.
Grandpa Gilderberry isn't your ordinary grandfather. Every year on Madeline's birthday, he whips up a batch of potions for her to try. She has her pick, but can never drink the pink one. Never ever, until Grandpa Gilderberry isn't there anymore.

The relationship between Madeline and her Grandpa is very sweet. They share a deep love for each other that is clear to see. I enjoyed the illustrations in this book, and discovering what fun power Madeline will gain with each potion. My only gripe with this book is the rhyme. Some of the rhymes were a stretch, and the "don't drink the pink" verse didn't flow well when said out loud.
**I received this from NetGalley for an honest review. **

Illustrations: ★★★★★
Amazing! And I love the colors too!

Character Development: ★★★★★
The primary focus was of Grandpa Gilderberry and Madeline's realtionship. The love they showed for each other really showed within the artwork.

Flow of the Story:★★★★★
Great! A fun story that could be read to a class of imaginative kids.

Font: ★★★☆☆
I did not like the font chosen for this story book. I found that it didn't quite fit the style of the story book. This is just my opinion as an avid book reader and no one of great significance.

Overall: I really love this children's story book. So much that if I were to find it on sale at my hometown book store I would nab it. Great job Fegan and Wen! The ending almost brought me to happy tears.
A beautiful book! The story is wonderful and the illustrations are engaging and go perfectly with the story. A special story about a little girl and her grandpa and how they related to each other. I loved it as an adult and the 4 year old that I read it to enjoyed it, especially the colorful and entertaining illustrations. I highly recommend this wonderful book! I am very grateful to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Such a sweet story of a little girl and her grandpa; so happy and sad at the same time! Reminds us to enjoy the time we have with our loved ones, especially grandparents, before we leave this world. I really enjoyed the illustrations and they even told the story better than the words did sometimes. This is a book I would purchase for my son's home library, even mine!

#Dontdrinkthepink #Netgalley
Don’t Drink the Pink by B. C. R. Fegan – This is a fun and beautiful story of a girls birthdays from 1-15 where her Grandfather gives her a special gift.  This would be a great birthday gift for any age, it rhythms for a fun read, and has a great sentiment.  This book released August 2019
"This book is amazing.  Can we read it again?" - my 6 year old daughter
Wow.  We really loved this book.  It's happy and sad and joyous.  It was very well written and we loved the rhyming.  The illustrations were good and the storyline was great.

Madeline's birthday is always an exciting one.  Her grandfather brings her potions to choose from for her to drink, but "Don't drink the Pink!"  We follow her exciting birthday potion choices each year.  Such a good book!!
I thought that this was a lovely book to read, it is a really heart-warming story about the bond and love between a young girl and her grandfather.  The images in the book are delightful and I thought that they perfectly illustrated the story.  It is 5 stars from me for this one, I thought every page was really well done and I can't wait to read it again with my daughter - very highly recommended!!
Don't Drink the Pink is a fun story of Madeline who is given a bottle to drink for each birthday from her grandfather but she is not allowed to drink the pink one. I wasn't sure what to think of this story but it is a really beautiful book and it really surprised me. The idea of different coloured bottles is fun and the effects are a magical and imaginative aspect of the book. It is also great to get the children thinking about what each of the colours are and they love guessing what they think might be the magical effect Madeline will have! I like how it showed grandad getting older as it is true to life and good for the children to see which is not shown in a realistic way over a longer timeframe in many books and I think this makes the book unique. I thought the ending was really beautiful and with all the intrigue of what the pink was going to be and the build up it really surprised me. The illustrations in the book are gorgeous and so fun to look at, the children loved to see Madeline as she grew up and the way each of the bottles look so magical. This is a really fantastic book that I would recommend, a very cleverly done magical story over a longer timeframe that is unlike any books we've read before!
I really enjoyed this book. I found it magical and the illustrations were beautiful. The bond between Madeline and her grandfather is priceless, I love that he is the one who gives her something that every child dreams of for her birthday. She gets to be big, small, invisible, and magical. It also gently deals with the reality of losing someone you care about.
I will definitely continue to read this book over and over to my boys.
Thanks to Netgalley and the author for the ARC for an honest review.
Although, I liked this story, I was confused by the age group it was for. Alice grows up throughout the story and for each birthday her inventor grandfather gives her a different potion to try creating fantastical experiences that Alice loves. The story works in colors and number and rhymes in a way that's perfect for young readers - toddlers and preschoolers.

But as Alice grows up, her grandfather gets older and in the end, she must celebrate her birthday without him. I think the story of loss and remembrance would be a great book for elementary school age children, but worry that the colors and counting might be too young in theme.
I absolutely loved this book. I found it unique, charming, heartwarming, and beautiful. The bond between grandparent and grandchild is lovely, and then it's mixed with magic to create something special. I've never read a picture book quite like this one before, and I've read a lot of picture books. This is also a very gentle way to introduce a child to the reality of growing old and dying. It will show kids that death doesn't have to mean the end, and that our loved ones live on in our hearts and memories. Wonderful story!!
This is a fun book where every year for Madeline’s birthday her grandpa gives her a different colored potion which has silly effects (invisible, can fly, runs fast, etc).  Illustrations are cute and the rhyming rhythm was fun for my 7 year old daughter.  She was confused as to why grandpa died and how the pink brought Madeline back to her first birthday. A few questions were raised, otherwise a fun read for younger kids.
Lovely children's book, I like the illustrations. It is a story written in rhymes, about Madeline and her grandfather. Every year when Madeline has a birthday, her grandfather brings potions she can drink. Every year she chooses a different one and gets a different superpower.
#DontDrinkThePink #NetGalley

Fegan has written an amiable tale that follows potion master Grandfather Gilderberry and his annual brewed birthday gifts to his granddaughter Madeline.  Each delectable drink invites Madeline to enter into a new imagined world where she can assume a wide range of fantastic skills and abilities. As time moves forward Grandfather Gilderberry continues to age and eventually gives Madeline one final imaginative drink (The Pink) for her to remember him by.  There is warmth and whimsy to this tale that speaks to the threads of connection that are possible across two generations.
A wonderful album!

Attracted by the lively cover and the intriguing title, I quickly plunged into this story, which I liked so much that I have already read it.
We follow the birthdays of the young Madeline, whose grandfather offers her every year a very special gift: an assortment of colorful bottles which she can drink the contents to live a magical moment. The only constraint is: do not drink the pink bottle.
The lyrics are poetic and all in verse, the illustrations are sweet, and the story is full of emotions (I did not expect at all in the end).

In short, it is a beautiful work, which I hope will be translated into French, because it is such a favorite for me, it becomes a must in the album library!
I've read this author's work previously, and have yet to be disappointed, so I knew when I saw the review request come through, it was one to get on the calendar. What I didn't count on though was the emotional turn of events! Be warned...bring tissues!

I selected this one to read to my mom while she was waiting to be taken into surgery (outpatient ear surgery...nothing major, but nerve wracking nonetheless). It seemed the perfect match for the reading situation...short on time, in need of a distraction, superbly gorgeous illustrations...I mean it was a triple threat! So, I began to read aloud and we laughed, smiled, and awed through a rainbow of fun...all leading up to the inevitable drink of pink...and man I was not expecting that little twist and can I just say, it's HARD to conceal tears! I mean don't get me wrong, it's WONDERFUL, SWEET, and MEMORABLE in the BEST possible ways, but that pink will do a number on you...yet at the same time it reminds us that those that are not able to be with us, whatever the reason might be, are always in our hearts.

**ebook received for review; opinions are my own
When Madeline turned one, her extraordinary grandfather gifted her with a box of potions, allowing her to choose a different colored one to try each year on her birthday, with only one rule: don’t drink the pink. Each year, Madeline sips her chosen potion and brilliant things happen, but as she ages so does her grandfather.

B.C.R. Fegan’s Don’t Drink The Pink is a magically marvelous story, so full of imagination, heart, and charm! Fegan has such a wonderful way with words and the story’s rhyming verses flow effortlessly and seem to dance of the page. Readers of all ages will be captivated by the heartfelt story of Madeline, her Grandfather, and a dazzling box of colored potions. With each page and birthday, comes a fun, new potion and surprising effects. Lenny Wen’s illustrations, with their gorgeous soft colors, endearing character renderings, and fun little details, perfectly capture the whimsy and heart of Fegan’s story.

The relationship between Madeline and her Grandfather is beautifully explored and y’all, those last few pages hit me right in the feels...I’m not gonna lie, there may have been tears shed. There is so much to love about Don’t Drink The Pink, from its bewitching rhymes; lovely illustrations; and stunning story. Definitely a must read!
Oh My God, what a powerful book about love and loss. This book broke my heart and also filled me with love. What a genius book. I cannot wait to read more by this author. MORE BOOKS PLEASE AUTHOR!!! :)
This is a simple story with a message regarding depth of love between cross generations. The well constructed and adorable illustrations shows the heart put into the story that has been well conveyed in form of the book. The love a grandparent and grandchild have for each other, the cross generational love lives on regardless of age and time. The bond is always there.