Lucy Maud Montgomery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Aug 2019

I really enjoyed this book which tells the story of L M Montgomery the author of the Anne of Green Gables series of books.  This book is well illustrated and outlines the details of L M Montgomery's life in simple and concise detail.  There are many similarities in the story of Montgomery's life with that of the character Anne in Anne of Green Gables.  This is an amazing series of fact books about famous people and would be an asset to any school or class library.  A book which I would highly recommend and thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in return for an unbiased and honest review
A nice book to get your littles interested in L. M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables. Short with colorful pictures which is just right for preschool.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Quarto Publishing Group, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
My First L. M. Montgomery is a new board  book in the series Little People, Big Dreams. Written by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara and illustrated by Anuska Allepuz, it is due out 6th Aug 2019 from Quarto on their Frances Lincoln imprint. Aimed at babies to the youngest readers, it's 32 pages, perfect for a storytime or read-along for the youngest. It's available as a boardbook.

This entire series really impresses me with its biographies of people who lived quite difficult lives and experienced opposition, racism, threats of violence and other things which might not be entirely suitable for young kids. The way the books are written doesn't completely avoid or sugarcoat what they lived through; it also doesn't present it in a way I would be uncomfortable reading to my own or others' kids.

In this particular book in the series, young Maud suffers the early loss of her mother and her father leaves her in the care of her grandparents, who provided for her physically but were remote and generally not affectionate. She turned to her prodigious imagination and the incredible nature around her to keep her company in her isolation.

The art supports and enhances the simple, stark history beautifully.

Five stars for the book and the series.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes (less)
Thank you for the free review copy Quatro Publishing and NetGalley. I love biographical picture books like this for young readers. This is the type of book spark interest to learn more about Lucy Maud Montgomery and/or Anne of Green Gables. I've read a few books about L.M. Montgomery, and this is perfect introduction for kids. The pictures are beautifully illustrated, and evoke a sense of Green Gables.
RATING: 4 STARS
2018; Quarto Publishing Group/Frances Lincoln Childrens
(Review Not on Blog)

(General series review) These are fabulous stories about great women and men in history (for the most part). The illustrations are so amazing, both for kids and adults. There is a brief history on the person that explains how this person contributed to history and matters. Being a huge fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery, this is one book I will definitely be buying in physical form.

***I received an eARC from NETGALLEY***
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a lovely, easy to read text with clear illustrations which would be engaging for the reader. Unfortunately, the books seems very short and doesn't appear to go into any detail about her life beyond her childhood aspiration to be a writer. Maybe my review copy was incomplete.
Little People, Big Dreams is such a lovely series and this latest edition, L.M. Montgomery, does not disappoint. Though I’ve not read any of her work (gasp!), I used to watch the original tv series starring Megan Follows (who will always, always be Anne to me!), so Anne of Green Gables is near and dear to my heart.

Aside from highlighting the life and accomplishments of an esteemed female author, I love this book because it might inspire some more children to read her stories. In fact, I’m now inspired not only to go back and re-watch the original tv series, but to finally read the series. But I digress…

As an adult and avid reader, I’m always excited to learn more about the lives of authors. Once again, I learned a great deal about L.M. Montgomery while reading this book. However, what is particularly pertinent for children is her persistence and positive attitude. Despite a less than stellar childhood, she found a way to make herself happy and tenaciously pursued her dreams. That’s an example we can all learn from.
I am a big fan of this series and I would read books back to back!

The Lucy Maud Montgomery’s life is perfectly illustrated and very accessible for the kids.
A great way to present inspirational lives to the little ones!
Adorable intorduction to important figures book yet again! I love that these books are a great stepping stone for toddlers and other little ones to learn about all types of influential people.
Another beautifully illustrated biography for a woman who over fame challenges to achieve great things. I love learning about new people and this one certainly inspires.
This Little People, Big Dreams series is such a great series of picture books for children. I love seeing the stories of all of these inspirational people being told for kids! It’s definitely meant for the younger kids, as it is very short and has few words. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful!
I honestly cannot get enough of this series! And this one is about a Canadian? Sign me up! I love that these books feature an important person from history and make the story appealing for young children while not bogging them down with facts. Lucy Maud Montgomery created the very famous Anne of Green Gables books which holds a special spot in my heart(in Ontario we had a cartoon Anne of Green Gables show as well as reading the book was in our curriculum)!
Thanks again to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review!
I love this series and this is another great addition - My First Lucy Maud Montgomery is a great introduction to a fascinating lady who had a brilliant personality and a determination to become a writer. She is a great inspiration to get children to want to be follow their dreams and never give up. 5 stars - very highly recommended!!
I am a big fan of the Little People, Big Dreams series! And the children also enjoy them!
I like how Lucy Maud Montgomery's life is drawn in an easy way for children to understand. As with other protagonists of the series, it fascinated me enough to search for more information about her life. I find the book could have mentioned more about her role as a Canadian writer.
Thank you to Net Galley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for providing me with an e-book copy in exchange for my honest review!
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!
awesome kids book.
we loved the illustrations.
the story was unique & easy to read!
My favorite of this series, thus far, I love knowing kids get a glimpse behind the scenes of such a great author--seeing how she chose to rewrite her past hardships into stories that her brought her to life--and gave joy to so many others. The illustrations are fun and vivid, and I appreciate the summarized bio with photographs included at the back.
While scanning through the books on NetGalley, I stumbled across this awesome new board book series for babies and toddlers. The vibrant, yet simple, covers displaying historical women that I have grown up learning caught my eye, and it instantly drew me to dig in and see what this series is all about.

Through my reading and my post-reading research, I have learned that Little People, Big Dreams is a new series that focuses on introducing the youngest of readers to amazing, wonderful women that have influenced the world. Each book is purposely designed in order to highlight one woman who has made a difference in the world. It tells the story of that women's dream and how she was able to make her dream come true despite the biggest of obstacles.

I loved the simplicity of the design of the series, Little People, Big Dreams. The authors and illustrators who have worked on this project clearly understand their audience, and they have made each of the books reflect exactly what they want their youngest of readers to be exposed to. Designed for babies and toddlers, Little People, Big Dreams uses simple text and engaging pictures to tell the story of each woman in a kid-friendly manner.

Often times, my biggest complaint with board books is that they lack plots or messages. Even though board books are purposely designed for babies and toddlers, I absolutely believe they still need to be strong examples of books that contain both strong plots and messages. All age levels of children need to have access to great texts.

I loved how Little People, Big Dreams designed their biography series for baby and preschool readers. There are not many nonfiction book series out there. This series is absolutely helping to pave the way to push the norm for what we typically think of when we think of baby books. Little People, Big Dreams series is a positive example of how even our youngest of readers can read and learn from awesome books!

The brilliance of Little People, Big Dreams continues on through their story of Lucy Maud Montgomery. As the author of one of the most beloved fictional characters in history, Anne of Green Gables, Lucy's life and love for all things literacy shines through her autobiography. You and your little ones will love curling up and reading about the author behind Anne and all the chaos, love, and inspiration that jubilant character brought to those around her.
A very cute and brief depiction of the life of Lucy M. Montgomery’s life and the writing of her beloved series Anne of Green Gables!

Very short. Could have been better with more relevant details.
This book appears to have been written for a very young audience, maybe 4-7 year olds. It is quite sparse on details. You basically only learn that Lucy wanted to be a writer, she lived on an Island, and that she lived with her grandparents for a while. It left me wanting for more information and more of a story line. How did Lucy become interested in writing? Why did she live with her grandparents? Whatwas it like to live on an island? Did they have to take a boat to get there? Could they fly? The book mentions that she wrote about a character named Anne, but it didn’t mention anything about the book series, Anne of Green Gables. What inspired her to write about Anne?

As you can see from my review, this is only a very brief introduction to Lucy’s life. I’m not sure there is enough of a story here to keep kids’ attention.
Lucy Maud Montgomery
by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara, Anuska Allepuz

Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced reading e-copy in exchange for my honest review!

I give this book 4 out of 5 birds. I am a HUGE fan of L.M Montgomery. She wrote one of my favorite characters, Anne (WITH AN E). I absolutely adored the illustration in this children’s book. It was bright and captured my attention. I thought it was beautifully done. I’m always looking for books to share with my daughters that SHOW strong women. I did feel a little bit robbed with a lack of information. I felt that there could have been maybe 2 to 3 more pages to fill in some of the gaps of her life.  However… it’s a kids book and not a full length novel. This is one I would buy for my collection!

This book drops August 6, 2019! Put it in your amazon cart asap.

#childrensbooks #bookstagram #books #kidsbooks #illustration #kidlit #booksforkids #picturebook #reading #kidsbookstagram #picturebooks #childrensbook #raisingreaders #feminist  #book #bookworm #kidlitart #kids #childrensbookstagram #childrensauthor #booksforchildren #storytime #authorsofinstagram #kidsbook #booksofinstagram #mrsbirdswords #netgalley #lucymaudmontgomery
#anneofgreengables