Lucy Maud Montgomery

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Aug 2019

This was very lovely little book, which will definitely become a treasure in any child's library. Beautiful illustrations, inspiring story and that good feeling you have when you finish a book :)

This board book version of L. M. Montgomery—from the critically acclaimed Little People, BIG DREAMS series—introduces the youngest dreamers to the creator of Anne of Green Gables.

As a young girl, Lucy Maud Montgomery found comfort in reading, writing, and her imagination. When she grew up, she wrote about the childhood she wished she had, creating one of the best-loved characters of all time: Anne of Green Gables. Babies and toddlers will love to snuggle as you read to them the engaging story of this wonderful writer, and will also enjoy exploring the stylish and quirky illustrations of this sturdy board book on their own.

Little People, BIG DREAMS is a best-selling series of books and educational games that explore the lives of outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream.

This empowering series offers inspiring messages to children of all ages, in a range of formats. The board books are told in simple sentences, perfect for reading aloud to babies and toddlers. The hardcover versions present expanded stories for beginning readers. Boxed gift sets allow you to collect a selection of the books by theme. Paper dolls, learning cards, matching games, and other fun learning tools provide even more ways to make the lives of these role models accessible to children.

As a Canadian, LMM is a national treasure as she created Anne (of Green Gables) and made PEI (Prince Edward Island) a tourism destination for the world.  I actually never knew the background story ofLMM and I learned a lot. What I like about this excellent written and illustrated book was that it will get people wanting to read about Anne and all of the other people in Avonlea. If you have not read this series, pick it up for you and the kids - they are INCREDIBLE!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁
The Little People, Big Dreams series makes books for even littler people!  This one is part of the My First...series.  It simply tells the story of the author of the Anne of Green Gables books. Children will learn about Lucy, who was raised by her grandparents.  She had imagination and found a way to write her beloved classic novels.

This book provides an easy introduction to the author.  It is nicely and engagingly illustrated.  I, myself, want to collect all these books!

Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto for this book in exchange for an honest review.
I just cannot get enough of these books of hers! Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara once again did a great job highlighting a role model in her book Lucy Maud Montgomery. Not only does this book show children that they can fulfill their dreams even when others tell them they’re wrong but it also points them in the direction of another series that they can read and enjoy. I hope we will get many more of these books!
Another beautiful addition to this series which I love to read. Gorgeous illustrations accompany Lucy Maud Montgomery's story too at the perfect level for readers of all ages. I enjoyed reading her story as she was someone who I had never heard of.
It was a very cute book and I loved the illustrations. I felt that it was a bit rushed, especially the part where she went from writing in secret to working for the  newspaper.
Just a little more detail would make this book even better but overall I thought it was great. Would definitely add to my personal collection.
This series is delightful!
A perfect way to introduce little ones to biographies - and important people in history! Vibrant, engaging and colorful, this title tells a perfectly condensed biography of L.M. Montgomery, A wonderful addition to the series of notable women in history.
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinions.

Biographical board books are tricky. That being said, I love the art in this one, and I think it does offer a cute sneak peek into LMM's life for our earliest readers.
This is such an adorable book about the big dreams of a little girl. Being Canadian Anne of Green Gables is one of our most proud children's books and one that I have read many times. I love this look into the author's life with beautiful pictures that go along with it. I especially love the picture with all of the houses filled with people reading the book.

Overall, a wonderful addition to this great Children's series.
I received an arc of this book on netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

The illustrations aren't right... the clothes were not the kind they probably would have worn in that time, so I didn't really like this book- also a little bit more detail might have been appreciated?
If my children were young, I really wouldn’t purchase this book.
Compared to children’s stories years ago this is very poor.

Children have short attention spans, but this is so uneventfully boring I as an adult wasn’t enjoying the sense of it either.

The illustrations are very poor workmanship and not something that appealed to my friends Granddaughter at all.

It sounds harsh, but it needs more body to this .

I realise that there are big dreams in this book and helping children to strive towards their dreams.

But what if their dreams do not aspire to reality?
Will they feel a failure?

OK it’s a kiddies book.....I’m an adult and I still believe in Father Christmas
I really enjoy the Little People BIG DREAMS books-However for someone who hadn't really heard of this person, I still had no clue who this book was about even after reading this book.   I believe that this book could have been a little longer with a little more details about Lucy Maud Montgomery; maybe mentioning the title of the books that she wrote or something like that would have been helpful.

The illustrations are bright and colorful and it is a quick read.

Thanks NetGalley, Frances Publishing Group and Quarto Publishing Group for the ARC of this book.
This picture book includes the biography of Lucy Maude Montgomery, author of the famous Anne of the Green Gables book series - which I haven't read. I am only vaguely familiar with the anime that I sometimes watched as a child, and I knew nothing beforehand about this woman. So in contrast to the book about Jane Goodall, I learned things I didn't knew, which is always nice.

Again, the pictures are colourful and enganging. Especially the view of her grandparent's house reminded me much of a drawing a child would do - I am not saying that the illustrator's drawing style is infantile, I mean more about the colour choices that were made. Bold colours, many of them. The sky is blue, the roof of the house red, the grass is green. I think I would have liked the pictures a lot as I was in the target-audience-age-range.

Montgomery's story is presented as that of a girl who always wanted to write and worked hard and fulfilled herself her wish instead of waiting for a prince or a fairy or whatever. I can get behind that. If I had to recommend a picture book, this would definetly come to mind.

I recieved a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
What a sweet story about Lucy Maude Montgomery. The illustrations are cute and colourful and the story about the person who brought us Anne of Green Gables was full of determination and perseverance. A role model for girls everywhere!
I've actually never read any of the Little People, BIG Dreams books despite seeing them every time I walk into a bookstore, so when I saw a few of them on Netgalley I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try them out and see what they're like.

Lucy Maud Montgomery is a children's biography of author L.M. Montgomery, from her early childhood to adulthood. It celebrates her imagination and her determination.

This is a very simple text, meant for younger readers. It's kind of like the cliff-notes version of the author's life, with it broken down to it's highlights to make it easily accessible and to the point (which is not a bad thing). As an adult reading it, and as someone who doesn't know all that much about L.M. Montgomery, it did make me want to go find out more to fill  in the gaps and to have a more well-rounded picture of the author's life, but it's definitely enough information for children.

It's also accompanied with lovely illustrations that add detail and enhance the information that we get from the text.

Overall, this is a great first biography for children to access. They will learn something about a classic children's author, as well as the determination needed to succeed in something they are passionate about.
I keep wanting to like these books, but most of them are coming up short. I'm really not impressed by these shortened board-book editions, either. The text is so simplified as to be almost condescending, and the narrative seems really sparse.

The illustrations in this series are always hit-and-miss for me, and this book offers another miss. The proportions on the characters are odd. The facial expressions are unappealing. And I can't even tell what time period I'm looking at. In fact, if you compare the illustrations with a timeline of events in Montgomery's life, you'd be forgiven for thinking she was a time-traveller! For example, the book states that Maud went back to care for her ailing grandfather, before which she worked at a newspaper. But, apparently, she went back to live with her widowed grandmother in 1898. So why does her skirt in the newspaper scene look like it's from the 1940s?

I kind of wish I'd read the non-condensed version of this book. At least with those, there's a timeline to help fill in the missing bits. Even as a board book, this seems weak. We're told about Anne, but never shown anything about her (except in one dream scene, but it's just a picture of Maud from another page in the book with the hair colour changed).

Unfortunately, this isn't great. I was hoping for a more engaging look at one of Canada's literary legends.
Everything about this is delightful. The drawings are full of color and whimsy.  Anybody who loves Anne of Green Gables will love this quick read.
As a lover of Anne (of Anne of Green Gables) it was wonderful to learn more about the writer who created her. Definitely think an Anne of Green Gables re-read is overdue!
2,5/5. I like those mini biography for kids about know and less know person. Unfortunately this one felt empty, like there isn't enough info, almost like it was done on a rush. The ARC version I get didn't even included the cover... One of the rare time this collection let me down!
Cute, but perhaps too brief. Much more information about her life could have been included. Also the illustrations could have reflected more of her beloved Prince Edward Island than what they do.