It’s Not You, It’s the Workplace

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 1 Jul 2020

I appreciated this book very much -- I had requested it to review just as a curiosity. I had gone from working in mostly female-dominated group to one that was male-dominated and it was a difficult transition for me. The change made me realize just how different both groups were and how I reacted to it. There were pros/cons to each of course, yet now that I find myself back in a completely female workforce, I have a newfound appreciation for working with women and the supportive environment it creates. I found myself agreeing with the authors in that it's 'pleasant, supportive, and cooperative...efficient, productive, and satisfied' group. I tend to think that it may come down to personalities and the golden rule. There are empathetic/nonempathetic men and women everywhere even in families. It's how we as individuals react to them. It's still helpful to consider why people react certain ways and adjust accordingly with self-awareness and emotional intelligence. The discussion of sisterhood, 'how to make things better', I like that they discuss how 'gender isn't the whole story' and reading the facts on my ethnicity was both sobering and slightly depressing, but I believe things can only get better with time.
I found this  book really fascinating to read, and Reassured me that things I had been feeling are actually there in the workplace. The idea that women need to network more, so that we can support one another is simple and yet really important. The  suggestions offered to women to help them move forward at work are logical, and, doable.
I will definitely be recommending this to my fellow sisters at work!
As a line manager in a University department and a champion of the university’s women’s network, I have found this  book excellent.  So often we focus on women in the workplace, how to motivate them and overcome impostor syndrome etc., but as I moved through my career which spans 30years I have also said that I have found working with men much easier than working with some women.  This book is excellent and I plan to promote it and share in our women’s book club and also put into practice some ideas in my department .  Thank you for the Arc to bothe Netgalley and the publisher.
I enjoyed reading this book. I hope to get some use from the advice. I would recommend this title. This book is nicely written and easy to follow along.
Despite it being about a complex topic that may go against the grain for many of us, this book takes a comprehensive and easy-to-follow approach to the issue at hand.

It is well-organized, based on sound and well-researched facts, and incredibly relevant. I appreciate how much time and effort went into researching, gathering interviews, and formatting its contents.

Full review: https://bookishr.wordpress.com/2019/09/17/its-not-you-its-the-workplace-review/
An excellent look and overview of working in today's modern world, as a woman...with other women. Conflicts between women are always hard to deal with and the workplace is no different. I used this book as my own guidebook in my job - as I went from learning from someone to managing this same woman and conflicts are HIGH.

It's practical, it's no-nonsense. It's more than "just wash your face", it's about taking ownership and being an adult.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
It's Not You, It's the Workplace debunks some of today's most popular myths about women in the workplace. The authors lay out the reality of workplace for women today, shedding light to some of the bias that lies behind many common misconceptions, and suggesting ways to tackle some of the problems this bias creates.

This was an interesting and informative book to read, one that will appeal to anyone wanting to read a little more on inclusivity. and ways to fight against bias and misconceptions.
This is a great resource to review and examine common issues in the workplace- especially those typically experienced by women. Every woman in leadership or those who strive to be, should read and consider the biases in their own situation. I would also say male leadership would benefit from reading this book as well.
This is somewhat simplistic and not a book I'd recommend. Sorry. Thanks for the opportunity to read it
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

A bit 101, but definitely a good start to anyone beginning to explore gender and race in the workplace.
I have read several books on diversity and inclusion. This book have several engaging stories and data from research. I would recommend reading it regardless your gender. The idea behind is to create a conditioning environment for every. When is this to come?