Cover Image: In the Dark

In the Dark

I've been wanting to read Loreth Anne White for a while. The quarantine has gifted me with more time to read, and I started a book club with the other teachers at my school. They were not interested in starting out with a romance novel. (big surprise). We opted to start with a mystery/thriller instead, and In the Dark is our first pick.

First, a caveat: I almost exclusively review romance, and while there is a tease of a romance in this story, it is extremely subtle. If you are looking for romantic suspense, look elsewhere. Maybe a different White novel?

I raced through this and enjoyed almost every bit of it. I liked the Lodge party chapters best, and I often found myself flipping back through them to keep track of where all the characters are located as the story unfolds. Especially that first chapter! I 'assumed' the sex of the person narrating this section & I was...ha! I'm not going to say. Learning all the painful, and often sordid guests' secrets was more compelling to me than the non-romance/maybe-romance happening in the investigative/rescue party. I thought the romance was an unnecessary distraction.

Clever, absorbing, disturbing...I loved everything about the set-up and execution...except the role of a significant secondary character that is revealed in the final denouement. That's all I'll say. It just didn't fit with the tone and mood of the novel, and was too vague and convenient. I also thought the pacing and and PoV changes in the second half weren't as strong as the start.

Recommended, 4.5 stars. Looking forward to the conversation about this one.
A little too haphazard for my taste, and I found it slightly difficult to follow the story here. It feels like the beginning of a series; perhaps we'll revisit when later books come out.
This closed room mystery was a lot of fun. I love atmospheric books and this one definitely put me in the creepy cabin in the woods. The story is based on Agatha Christie's, "And then there were None", and references the story often. Spoilers are given for Christie's book so read it first if you are interested in the story (and you definitely should!)

I enjoyed the story but found the large cast of characters a bit confusing at times. The "villain" was slightly predictable but not completely.

Overall, this was a good story but I found it to be a little too long.

I received an e-copy of this book to review from NetGalley and Montlake Romance. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Strong premise, mediocre execution. I really enjoyed the relationship between Callie and Mason, and how each o of their stories were drawn out, and was itching for more about/with them. I liked the rhyme, it added a creepy, sinister touch, but I had to keep going back to it to try to figure out how it matched up with the characters.  The dual timelines and the many, many characters made the plot hard to follow. And with such a large cast, I didn't feel like I truly got to know any of them and their pasts and motivations. (Which i guess was fine since the majority wound up dead anyway.) Overall there were too many holes and things that were explained one way, but didn’t add up or make sense in the sequence of events.
Thanks to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for this e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

This book was very entertaining and thrilling. It's about a group of "strangers" going to an elite getaway spa in the middle of the woods but don't realize they all will be facing demons from their past. If you are a fan of Agatha Christie type of mysteries, then this one is for you!

In the beginning, when they start introducing all the characters (roughing around 10 main characters) it can be a bit confusing. I had to write out who they were and occupation just so I could keep up. The chapters bounce between the past and present plus in between the point of views of all the characters. I really enjoyed how the writer review what happened to the characters based on evidence the two main SAR detectives find during their search. The ending wasn't super predictable and overall I enjoyed the murder mystery from start to finish.

4/5
You guys - I absolutely LOVED this book!  It is SO my type of read!  I can't even put into words how much this one is in my wheelhouse.  Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is my favorite of all her books that I've read so far (I have a personal goal to read everything she has written eventually).  Basically any book that is compared to And Then There Were None or follows a similar type of trope is one that is instantly going on to my radar to check out.  What I loved so much about this book was the fact that it paid homage to Christie's work while putting its' own twist on it!  And the author did this SO WELL!  I found myself instantly drawn into this book from the very beginning.  A secluded lodge set in the remote wilderness of Canada, a storm bearing down, and a murder mystery....what else could you want in a thriller?!  The thing about this book that also made it stand out for me was that it was told in two different parts that it goes back and forth between.  The first is with the guests at the lodge and the second storyline is featuring the cop who is leading the searching for them.  I really liked both Mason and Callie's characters!  I liked them both enough that I'm kind of curious if there is the possibility that we will see their characters in future books?  I would be ALL over it if that happened...just saying!  I also have to say how much I loved that the author threw in a nod to Christie's book directly in this one.  I won't say how or anything but it made my readerly heart sing when I saw it.  This is honestly such a great book and I cannot seem to say enough good things about it!

Overall, I loved this one which is should be completely apparent by now.  I really haven't seen enough readers finding this one which is an absolute shame!  Books like this are why I love the mystery/thriller genre so much!  This book had me guessing the entire time while turning the pages as fast as I could.  I loved both the similarities and the differences that made this book stand out from Christie's original work.  I'm honestly so excited to have found this author and cannot wait to checkout her other books.  Highly, highly recommended and my first five star read of 2020!

Bottom Line:  My first five star read of 2020 - enough said!

Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.
In the Dark's premise intrigued me. I was taken by the beginning chapters, and the pacing was fast . Then the addition of more and more characters started to slow down the pace and the story lost momentum.  I would have liked a little less description and a more tightly woven story. In the Dark was entertaining but not riveting, and the ending left me disappointed.
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
If you like reading thrillers, you will want to pick up In the Dark by, Loreth Anne White! You will be entertained from start to finish.
Thank you Netgalley and publishers for sending me this arc. I will be reviewing this book.properly in the near future with an honest teview.
I want to start off by saying thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book, it was a very good read easy to follow along with storyline and characters. This was a new author for me but I very much enjoyed it, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading more by this author again. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
“For in the end, there can only be one. And to make it to the end is to reach a beginning, is it not?”

I haven’t read a thriller in a while and now I’m kicking myself because this book was everything I needed. A group of people are lured into the wilderness under the guise of a free luxury vacation. But one by one, they start disappearing, and they realize nothing and no one is what they thought.

“This whole thing was faked from the get-go. We were lured here. All of us. And now we’re trapped.”

The beginning of the book starts at the end, if that makes sense. The lone survivor has been found. We don’t know who it is, what happened in the wilderness, or what they had to do to survive.

“I’m powerful now. I’ve done things others could not, and did not. I survived.”

The point of view shifts back and forth between members of the group, and also the rescue team searching for the missing people. I thought it would be jarring to have so many points of view but I thought it was so cohesive and beautifully done.

“What lies do you tell? Because we all lie. Every one of us, and whoever claims they don’t is the biggest liar of all.”

There are so many questions that I didn’t have the answer to, and it made me want to devour the book as soon as possible. Who is the killer? Is it someone among them or an outsider? What are their lies? What connects them? The plot was so intriguing and I loved it!

“She needed him, and he needed her, because they shared a secret that could destroy them both.”

And just when you think it’s all done, there is another tiny twist thrown into the mix.

“One Little Liar thinks he has won. For in the end, there can only be one. But maybe… there shall be none.”
There are many elements that I loved about this book, including the ominous atmosphere and some of the characters (the normal ones and the crazies!).

Told through the eyes of multiple narrators, Loreth Anne White smartly crafts a modern retelling of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. Combined with a reality TV Survivor-like premise, what’s not to love?! Although there are many characters and points of view, all of them were developed and easy to keep track of. I recently complained in one of my reviews about too many narrators detracting from the plot and character development, but White balances both with ease.

This book spoke to my inner armchair detective. Many of the characters are twisted and their devious nature kept me guessing! I did guess the murderer early on, but many red herrings, along with some twists had me constantly second-guessing myself. I also loved the chemistry between Callie and Mason, and hope to see them in a future book.

FYI, this includes major spoilers for And Then There Were None, so don’t read In the Dark if you plan on or want to read Christie’s book.

I highly recommend this twisty and atmospheric thriller.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. (less)
It was supposed that the characters in this book were solitary individuals, rowing against one another for their lives that the writer successfully introduced. This is an Agatha Christie method, and often, in the struggle of rowing for survival, too great a story had been invested for the readers - Hadi Atallah, author of 'Rosemary Bluebell.'
4-5 stars!  While this is my first book by this author, it definitely will not be my last.  I found that it was well written, with amazing character development, and absolutely fantastic atmospheric details.  While I’ve not read the classic by Agatha Christy, I know this is supposed to be similar to AND THEN THERE WERE NONE, since I’ve not read it not sure if I felt it was similar, but did find the book itself to be very chilling, thrilling, with lots of twists and turns.  Highly recommend to those who like survival thriller reads!
Will make sure to buzz it up on the different platforms!
A pivotal work by Loreth Anne White, “In The Dark” is a retelling of Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None” the same way that “Sleepless in Seattle” is a remake of “An Affair to Remember.”

The stories for both “In The Dark” and “Sleepless in Seattle” are very different from the original. It is the atmosphere or the vibe (to use a vernacular) that has been recreated. And then of course, in both stories, “And Then There Were None” and “An Affair to Remember” were mentioned, respectively. Thus, there were no doubts in the reader’s mind that this is a retelling or re-imagining.

“In The Dark” started like an inverted Y in its storytelling. Two different tales were being told – the Lodge Party and the Search Party. It is obvious from get go that the two stories would intersect at some point. The genius in the storytelling was how we got there.

Demonstrating a mastery of her craft, Loreth Anne White cleverly introduced all the protagonists in an almost languid way. It almost felt like readers were given strings to pull, slowly at first and then it became a tug of war as we wanted more information and the plot to be revealed but the author wanted as to wait.

This was done by cleverly see-sawing between the Lodge Party and the Search Party and also by changing the POVs, distributing it among the characters so that readers will get the whole picture of what was truly happening.

Like voyeurs, readers know what was going on and had to wait for the rest of the characters to learn it. Again, this is great storytelling. No one felt cheated, be it the reader or the characters.

I don’t want to write a synopsis. The About the Book area does a good job without revealing the plotlines. I want readers to have the same feeling of discovery I had, the anticipation of what will happen next and the feeling of satisfaction of finding out.

To say that I enjoyed the book is an understatement. It was hard to put down once I started. Actually, I listened to the audiobook during my commute to work. I almost wanted to hit traffic so that I can listen more. But, work is work, so I had to wait for 8 hours to go back to listening.

Voiced by Susan Hanfield, it was an easy listen, with “easy” meaning the scary portions are like being in the Twilight Zone instead of the horror in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I believe that is the reason why I enjoyed the book so much. If it was too scary, I would have probably not able to finish it.

That said, and this is nothing against Susan Hanfield, I would like to say that a dual narration, one male and one female, would have added another dimension to the book. There are enough male characters POV to be worth it.

“In The Dark” is Rated T for Teens. Parental guidance is strongly advised due to violence.
4+ stars! Wow, this was my first book from White and I really enjoyed it. White does an amazing job of creating a spooky atmosphere that kept the reading somewhat addicting. I enjoyed the mystery portion and like many others enjoyed Mason and Callie as well. I would love to read a next book with Mason and Callie in it so we can continue to hear their story! I'm looking forward to checking out another of White's books!
This was my first time reading anything by the author, and I enjoyed this one so much I'm gonna have to check out her other novels. This book is kinda like a modern day retelling of the Agatha Christie mystery, And Then There Were None. In fact that book is actually a part of the storyline in this one. Speaking of that, there are quite a few spoilers about And Then There Were None in this book so if you haven't read that one and would like to, make sure you pass on this one until doing so.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! No spoilers. Beyond amazing I enjoyed this book so very much. The characters and storyline were fantastic. The ending I did not see coming  Could not put down nor did I want to. Truly Amazing and appreciated the whole story. This is going to be a must read for many many readers. Maybe even a book club pick.
I LOVED this book. I've recommended it to so many of my readers, and they've all appreciated it as well. Well thought-out, good storyline, excellent pacing, and gripping twists kept me reading late into the night. BRB, currently reading everything else by this author.
Great plot, wonderful characters and a wonderfully dark suspenseful thriller.
I will definitely be keeping my eye out for her next book.