Cover Image: The Indivisible and the Void

The Indivisible and the Void

This is a wonderful author.It just wasn’t my type of book.He did great.The story was interesting.I hope it did well.
The Indivisible and the Void was an interesting take on a few fantasy tropes. I most enjoyed the creativity and slight subversion here. There were some stand-out side characters and I look forward to seeing more of in the next book. That being said, it took me a while to really get into it. it was a slow start for me. It was perhaps warranted in that it used that time to set things up and introduce things but I just wasn't grabbed for awhile. it did pick up and pick up steam eventually and I did really end up enjoying it, I just tend to struggle with slow beginnings. I will likely be picking up the next installment to see what happens next with Dem and the others.
First I want to thank NetGalley and D.M. Wozniak for giving access to this book.

Wow  this is one of the most unique fantasies that I've read in a while. I have a soft spot for books with quests so I couldn't resist. The main character was so on point in this book, he felt really likeble and not like an idiot just seeking vengence. Sadly towards the end the book looses it's way for a bit, but the begining was incredible.
The only thing that didn't made it for me was the representation of the female characters, it felt really stereotypical
I would definitely check out other books by this same author.
This ARC was provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've had this book sitting on my kindle app since like last fall. I finally read it and Good Unnamed I am kicking myself for not reading this sooner! I feel like my mind exploded after that ending and I NEED book 2 right now!!

The Indivisible and the Void is an adult sci-fi that introduces us to the world of voidance. This science is what our main character has made his career on. Democryos is the Master Voider and has always believed that voidance is good and a useful technique to combat the evils of the world. When his young and beautiful wife leaves him for someone else, Dem needs to know why. Setting out the find Marine and ask her, he ends up on quite a journey that will change his whole life and beliefs.

I loved the world building. The faith of the efflugents and the science of voiders is a conflict that is all to real in our world. But the mysterious powers granted from the void add a magical element. After dinner with the king one night, Dem leaves with Chimeline, a girl from the King's harem. Dem soon finds out that Chimeline knows more than he would've guessed about the person Marine left with. After the discovery of the hidden laboratory, the two of them set off for the South to try and find Marine and answers about the blurred man she is with.

The beginning was a bit slow and took me a while to get into. But right around the 50% mark, there were several key revelations that blew my mind. After that, it took me one day to finish the rest of this book. I fell in love with the main characters: Dem for his scientific and logical mind, Chimeline for her passion and open mindedness, Blythe for his kindness and faith and Colu for his strength and ability to make me laugh. I loved this group and the answers they found together, they forged true friendships and I cannot wait to see what misadventures they'll cause in book 2.

Dem and Blythe had almost nothing in common when they meet. But the way their friendship and acceptance of each other develops, was fantastic. I loved seeing faith and science being able to get along. Plus what they discovered was mind blowing on its own.
Amazing start to a new series!
Was a little slow at first but quickly picked up.
Looking forward to reading more
The Indivisible and the Void by D.M. Wozniak has striking cover art and an intriquing title. Begins a little slow and then picks up to a fast pace. It is full of mystery, fantasy, and scence fiction.
Really enjoyed this one. So much going for this book. Good cover? Yes. Good synopsis? Also yes.

Took me an afternoon to finish this one. Loved the main character ater MC Dem, I though he was interesting protagonist to read from and I also really enjoyed the magic system in this book
4.6 stars. One question: what does the cover have to do with the story?
Seriously, I really enjoyed it. Oh, it got a bit preachy from time to time, and the f-word showed its ugly face about thirty times too often. But the world, the magic system (and the religious system) were imaginative and richly described (the author has a real gift for description). Occasionally, some of the characters fell into the realm of cliche, but the strong, gritty-yet-hopeful plot overcame any such deficiencies. The ending was a satisfying cliffhanger, if you can conceive of such a thing. I definitely want to find out more!
Side note: I find it quite refreshing to read a fantasy novel where an organized religion is presented in a relatively positive light.

I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is definitely a slow burn type of book. Democryos, the main character, is the Master Voider at the Citadel, the place where voiders (aka people who can enter the void and manipulate it) are taught their art. He answers to the king that is fighting a war and wants more and more voiders. Then, in the middle of the night his much younger and beautiful wife leaves Dem. He then goes on a journey to find her with an assassin and an effulgent (a priest). He finds much more than just his estranged wife on the journey, including evidence of all that he holds dear is completely different than he knew. The character growth is solid and the plot is good, even if it is a little slow at times.
Starts as a bit of a slow burner but evolves into a solid fantasy read. One of the best I can remover reading. The author has a fabulous imagination and the story was both impressive and inventive. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.
While unlikable characters aren't a problem for me, the main character of this book is impossible. I couldn't get into the story because I couldn't get into his mind. He's egotistical, privileged and the disdain he has for his wife, who we are constantly reminded is a whore, makes him impossible to sympathize with.

The worldbuilding is interesting and the magic system is creative but the writing left me rereading pieces over and over. It wasn't clear.

The author's choice to portray his women as flat stereotypes with very little character development made this book a slog to get through. Maybe the next book will be better but I'm not anticipating reading it.

I'm giving it 2 stars for the magic system.
Such an imaginative, mysterious, and well-detailed world, I find myself already hoping for book 2 of this new fantasy series from D.M. Wozniak. I immediately connected with the main character Dem and found all of the characters to be well-developed. The characters experience a good amount of growth through the story and the villain is a great foil to Dem himself. They kept me guessing as they slowly revealed themselves through the plot situations that occurred. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Blythe as I found him and his religion to be fascinating. I'm very impressed with the world building which was seamless throughout the story.

The whole book has a great flow to it by slowly introducing new places and people to create a whole picture and the plot delves into some deep topics that make you think like betrayal, drug addiction, trust, and regret. SO much happens in this story! I mean, I was hooked from the first chapter but the pacing is just right. This is even more impressive when looking at the reveals because BIG stuff happens. The world created here is totally different by the end of the book and watching the characters respond as they learn more was interesting.

For me though, I'm most impressed by and interested in the magic system. The indivisibles that make up this world and the void where you manipulate them is truly unique to other fantasies I've read and I loved it. I'd say this aspect has me most excited about the next book in the series. My one critique, and it's a small one, is I wish the ending hadn't been a cliff-hanger. I'm already sold, I want to read book 2, so I'm not really a fan of endings that just drop off BUT even though I'm complaining (probably because I just wanted more of it) I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for the next in this series. Definitely recommend this one to any fantasy reader.

Note: I received a free Kindle edition of this book via NetGalley in exchange for the honest review above. I would like to thank NetGalley and the author D. M. Wozniak for the opportunity to do so.
Language-wise, I really think it is easily comprehensible. But due to the fact how this novel is quite slow in building the tension - there is no element of surprise. I tried reading a few more chapters because of all this 'void' element that seems to be good attention-seeking material, but then, that's it. It is hard to keep reading them without feeling curious.

Too bad, this book looks promising though.
Probably unpopular opinion here, but I’m very sorry to say that this book in the end wasn’t for me.
It has one of the best starts I ever read but unfortunately I lost interest half way through the book.
I started to not caring about the story, about the characters, about the adventure.
It has nothing too complicated to understand but after the middle of the book the all fast-pace it had at the beginning died down.
Epic style dark fantasy .
Wonderful ride , great well thought out plot and characters.
Book 1 of a hopefully plentiful series.
I struggled to get into this book. For me, the writing felt a bit heavy-handed, and the character just put me off somehow. He felt very entitled. And that was odd, given that I was introduced to him at a point when he's discovered some seriously devastating new.

The idea is creative, and the character arc was interesting, but I found myself confused and re-reading a lot to understand what was going on. I don't think this is the fault of the story, but rather the style of writing, which I just didn't enjoy.
I had a love and hate relationship with this book that mixed between the plot and story line. Magic seems to be a hit or miss for me most of the time, and this one kept me in the middle.
oid magic has to be carefully taught and managed, and Master Voider Democryos sends a student into the war-torn countryside each year to work that magic. Lady Marine, his wife and former student, leaves him for a mysterious voider. Obsessed with his missing wife, Democryos sets out on a quest into the countryside to search for her. The King sends Chemeline, a member of his harem, to comfort Democryos. He also interacts with Blythe, who leads worshipers of the "Unnamed," as well as Colu, the wounded soldier with a patch over one eye. Together, they discover the means to understand voidance itself.

There is a lot of worldbuilding, from the inherited ability to manipulate voidstones in the voiders, to the Effulgents, hairless cultists that preach the use of voidstones is evil. The nature of magic and the voidstones is fascinating, as is the eventual revelation of the "empowered," who can manipulate the axion of the series title. That is the ultimate power, and involves the axiondrive, which had once upon a time powered a starship the size of a citadel.

In addition to the main story are several side stories that eventually weave into the main plot. Once they all pull together, the story picks up its pace and is a fantastic ride. Dem has his prejudices challenged as the story progresses, and the teachings of both the voiders and the Effulgents interweave. Some of their shocking discoveries are easily guessed if you read enough about magic and fantasy novels, but the horror that they feel is very real, and they deal with it appropriately. None of the characters mentioned are there for no reason, and the hints at a larger world and universe are really tantalizing. I wished there was more about Chemeline's background and culture, but large parts of it actually aren't explained. Maybe in future books, it'll play a larger part.

While the main story is wrapped up fairly neatly, we get a bit of exposition after the fact in the mysterious voider's journal, as well as the chilling They're coming at the end. This is book one of the series, so that hook will absolutely get dealt with.
3.5 stars rounded up to four stars. This is a difficult book to rate because I loved, liked, and disliked "The Indivisible and the Void."

"Loved"' it because even though it's quite a long book, I enjoyed it enough to get through it relatively quickly. Being able to get through a 500+ page book in such a short time is often the biggest testament to me on the overall enjoyableness of the book. It had satisfactory characters, an interesting magic system, and adventures that were divided into separate parts that made the plot easy to follow.

"The Indivisible and the Void" has a pretty complex magic system. Main character Master Voider Democryos is the head of the university that teaches students to enter the void and use voidstones. The void is comparable to the space between atoms and the user that is touching the voidstone can enter it to work magic. However, voidstones themselves are limited and the ability to use them is hereditary. The language used to describe this system gets a bit muddled throughout the story. Every time a new character is introduced, the system (and the current problem the characters are facing) is rehashed for the new character to understand. This is especially true about the ending. One character needed to be caught up on the story at the very end- as the rest of characters filled him in, his comments were along the lines of "What?! No way! I don't understand... what?" -- the whole scene was completely unnecessary, long, and could have been summed up in a better way.

I wish that the female characters were portrayed with more dimension. The story starts off with Dem chasing after his wife after finding out that she has left because she was having an affair. It's hard to talk about her character without giving away too much of the book, but she was very different from how she was portrayed and it made her character a bit unbelievable. The other main female character had a lot of potential but also needed a bit more background information in order to less two dimensional. I look forward to seeing how the author builds these characters in book 2.

The author has done a great job weaving in so many different aspects of life into this richly told story. Religion plays a big part of the story and the way that it is used to advance the plot was unique and very different from any other fantasy I've read. There really is a lot going on in this series that makes for a great start to this series. Thank you Netgalley and  D.M. Wozniak for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Indivisible and the Void isn't adventurous but one of internal human conflict represented through Democryos and his journey with the most unexpected companions. His actions and decisions will keep you hooked until the last page and raise inevitable questions. I just cannot wait for the next part to be released.

The journey of Democryos starts from the loss of his young love but winds up into a destiny he didn't see for himself, a fate that leads towards help and perhaps impending doom?! Following him was worth the ride. The only let down for me  (hence four stars) is the moments of Void dreaming which though ties the story in one, breaks from anxious, peak moments of excitement like a whiplash on a roller coaster. To add to it we see many grey morale characters and a let down of a villain.

Though the ending suits the first book precisely to fit the next book release, I highly advice the readers to keep their expectations in check about a high riding climax.