Cover Image: Just As You Are

Just As You Are

This was a fun, light-hearted beach read. I enjoyed the various locales that the main character (Emma) went to throughout the book. That's part of what made it so enjoyable for me. The romance was fun and there was plenty of humor and fluff to keep me entertained. If you are looking for some escapist chick lit with heart, you can't go wrong with Just As You Are.
A sweet, easy-to-read story about leading a  life true to you. It's about being unapologetic about who you are. Emma has been traveling for seven years but is ready to settle down in one spot and build a life. After she talks her way into a job she is completely unqualified for she bumps into a hot fling from her past who stood her up. She is mortified, and yet can't help but feel an enduring connection between them. As work begins to consume her, and she becomes more and more unhappy. With nothing going right in her life including her relationship with Nick she jumps at a new opportunity in Alaska with a job she might actually be able to do. Not to worry all ends well for the heroine and the reader is left smiling as they finish this fast-paced read!
This book was advertised as a funny rom-com and it was just that! It was quirky, witty, and a great read! I sometimes had a hard time relating to the main character, as I felt like she definitely worked against herself a lot of the time! But by the end, it all came full circle.
A cute rom-com about faking it until you make it and finding the right adventure at the right time (and hopefully, with the right partner!).
Sometimes you pick up a book because they say things along the lines of "if you liked Bridget Jones (enter book title)"... "for fans of Sophie Kinsella (enter author name)"... and you think "yes, those were kind of fun and I guess I'll read this during shelter-in-place." Then, you don't even get through the 1st chapter and begin doubting your taste in books with "boy is this book terrible, I've been suckered!"

This certainly was tough to get through at the beginning. I had a difficult time getting to know and liking heroine. She was all implied cliche and no character building. I also had a difficult time getting on board with her and hero chemistry. Author took broad strokes at typical Bridget Jones structure but it was v. not good. Ironic that she played up how large heroine was but the overall ebook was so light on story depth that I had a hard time fully connecting with the goal of the book -- to get the guy. There were plenty times I was exasperated with the on-page shenanigans. To a certain extent, that includes the stereotypical gay office mate flapping his arms to express his stress.

I did stick it through, though, and felt the end was a ridiculous attempt at a bad movie HEA. It was rushed and inelegant. Tough to believe a sensible hero would drop everything for this. 1.5 stars
Enjoyed this sweet quick read loved the writing style would highly recommend that you read this if you can
I definitely understand the comparisons to a Sophie Kinsella novel with this one, because I had the exact same thoughts while reading it! This book is definitely for those who appreciate longer character development and a slower start. I don't always mind that, and I enjoyed the slower start to this one. This book tells a warm story of a young woman just trying to find her way in life. I enjoyed her journey, I found this fun and cute, and I enjoyed the characters as well. Great summer read.
This book didn’t really sit with me well. I struggled to read it over five times.

But the sixth time I was able to read it, and I did enjoy it more than I thought I was going to.  You have to be ready to put some work into reading this because it does not quite catch you at the start, but it does highly improve as the story moves along.

Emma was left at the altar and has not been with anyone else in many years. Her mom is like lets get you married, but Emma would rather see the world and enjoy those experiences instead. Which I agree with if I was dealing with the same thing. Why get married when you can see the world and have a lot of fun?? But she ends up in Fiji and meets Nick. So they will end up falling in love, you know. They have a one night stand, but then she loses his number. Then she gets home and Nick is her new boss! Omg, that was. A crazy twist and I was like wooow. But still, you should take the time to read this and see if they end up together because spoilers are not any fun!
A little predictable, but a great summer beach read! I enjoyed the story line though and it kept me engaged throughout :)
Unfortunately I DNF'd this book 45% of the way in. I didn't really care about the main character, Emma, and the story just fell a bit flat for me. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to this one.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for sending me an ARC of this book.
A light-hearted easy read romance. Set in Sydney the main character is relatable and easily likable. The book is  engaging you want things to go well for Emma as she navigates her life back on track
This was such a cute book! This was the first book I've read from this author and I really enjoyed it. The story was different from anything I've read recently and really captured my attention. It was so well written and the characters were fantastic.
What a time this read was! If you're a fan of Sophie Kinsella and Lindsey Kelk and would like a chick lit with an Australian twist, then pick this up! ⠀
Pros:⠀
☑️ I enjoyed that Emma is a character in her mid-thirties ⠀
☑️Phil, her colleague, is a hoot⠀
☑️The chemistry between Nick and Emma is off silly-grin proportions⠀
☑️ It's set in Sydney, and anything that is not set in my backyard right now is right up my alley⠀
☑️I had a couple of genuine laugh-out-loud moments⠀
Cons:⠀
⠀
😭 I understand that this story is about Emma coming into her own and not conforming to society's guidelines of a stable and comfortable lifestyle, but I would have enjoyed reading a couple of chapters from Nick's perspective as very little was given to the reader regarding his reactions to Emma's actions, words and body language.⠀
⠀
As a sufferer of wanderlust myself, I love reading books about fellow travellers. Emma was a great character, well-rounded and easy to read and empathise with. There was a bit of a 'Devil Wears Prada' feel to the story, which I enjoyed, and the addition of heartthrob Nick was a welcome one. A good bit of escapism in these challenging times.
This novel's main character reminded me of a combination between Sophie Kinsella's Becky Bloomwood and Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones. If you liked either of those series, maybe give this book a try.

Although this novel is romance, the story felt more than just that. It was more of a story about the character discovering herself and I think the romance took a backseat to that. The romance aspect was 'okay' but I wouldn't say that I fully loved the couple. I actually didn't know who the main character was going to end up with because I didn't feel any obvious chemistry between any of the males in the story. In fact, I actually predicted a different love interest that was a character only featured in one scene.

It was an okay, mediocre read but there was nothing spectacular about it.

***Thank you to the publisher for supplying me with an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***
Oh, dear, Emma really does get herself into some scrapes, which leads to all sorts of funny situations. Talk about a square peg in a round hole, she certainly doesn't suit what she thinks she should do/want/have.

It took me a while to get into Emma's character,  and I did find her rather immature in the beginning. But that's perfectly OK, because it gives her the opportunity to grow and develop throughout the story, which is exactly what I like characters to be able to do.

The sex scenes are quite explicit and go on for a good few pages, but they are easy enough to skip over if that's what you prefer, without affecting the story at all.

This is a story about self-discovery and following your heart, and how you shouldn't compromise when it comes to your happiness.  Funny, ludicrous in places, this is most definitely a laugh out loud romance.
This is one of those books I’ve had waiting for me on Netgalley for a while now. And if you’ve been seeing my Twitter recently, I’ve definitely got more in the mood for romance books. I’m finding them a great escape from dissertation work because they’re fun, quick, light reads.

And this was another book that I read in one sitting. Thanks so much to One More Chapter for allowing me access to a digital copy of Just As You Are!

Emma returns from travelling the world and working odd jobs to Australia, where all her friends are married and starting families. Both her mother and herself put this expectation on her now. It’s the new plan.

1. Get a job.
2. Get a house.
3. Get a husband.
And that leads her to lying on her CV to get a badly paid stressful job at a PR company: her year making coffees and printing turned into a year of PR assistant work and her year being a waitress became events co-ordinator (with experience in catering and children’s parties).

It is at this job that Emma meets her new boss, Nick, aka the same guy she flirted and slept with while holidaying in Fiji but who gave her a fake number afterwards.

What I liked about this book was that the romance was only one part of the storyline; discovering herself and allowing herself to admit she doesn’t want the expected, ‘conventional’ life. I think the romance is a larger part of the plot than the blurb originally makes out but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The one thing that always used to make me hesitate with the romance genre was the inclusion of so many cliches. I hate to cringe at something. With Just As You Are, I feel like they saved all the cheese to the very end. If you dislike the cliche of missed communication, where every problem is based around not communicating, don’t read this. If you don’t mind that cliche, like me, it’s a great read. The ending just needed to calm down on the cheese, or at least even it out across the novel.

What’s the last romance book you enjoyed?

Happy Reading 🙂
This book was a heartfelt and beautiful journey. I was so invested in a Emma and Nick (partly because that’s what me and my boyfriend are called!) but also because of a wonderful storyline, which was tied up exceptionally well.
Emma is a free spirit. She has spent the last 7 years traveling the world and has finally decided to go back home to Sydney. On her way there, she makes a pitstop in Fiji. There she meets the handsome Nick. Right away they have great banter and there is an attraction. She figures she is never going to see him again, so why not have a fling? After a great night, he writes down his phone number and they agree to meet up for lunch one last time before they each go their separate ways. He, back to a corporate job in London, she - continuing her travels, maybe to Alaska. He's late to lunch. She texts him, and no response. She calls him and it's disconnected. The bastard gave her a fake number! He stood her up, just like her ex did 7 years ago on their wedding day.
Emma ends up in Sydney, lies about her work experience to get an entry level job at the hottest PR company. Her first big assignment is to throw a gala and in the midst of it, her boss leaves and a new guy is brought in. Guess who? It's Nick! She's in way over her head both at work and in her personal life. Cue the miscommunication, throw in a hot young starlet and another mysterious woman that is constantly texting Nick.
It's all a bit predictable, but aren't they all? This was a quick read and not unenjoyable. A great vacation read.
This is the first novel from Kate Mathieson and I absolutely loved it. It was a refreshing take on a rom com. It follows Emma who, after travelling the world - alone, after being left at the altar (a recurring premise to some rom coms)  - has one hot night with a gorgeous stranger in Fuji, on her way home to Sydney, they have a connection, he asks her for lunch the following day, she stands him up as she feels she’s not worthy of him and that it was a one time night and didn’t want to have that awkward “after sex”  lunch. He gives her his number. But back in Sydney, living at home with her parents, she throws out his number, knowing he’d never want to be with her,...she has low self esteem, her mom tries to get her to lose weight, and get motivated again. I could go on and on how this book was so good - so, funny and hit the nail on the head about weight, self esteem. judging others based on looks, how to have more confidence in yourself, and learning that you are special and worthy no matter your weight. Love yourself just as you are! A must read for rom com lovers!

Thanks #netgalley for the ARC. I loved the opportunity to read new authors.
#justasyouare