Cover Image: The Long Road Home

The Long Road Home

Thank you to Netgalley and Books Go Social for this copy in return for my honest review. This book was a lot to give. Part suspence with a bit of romance, this book ticked all the boxes for me.
Emily has been in a spiral trying to escape her past for years. When a friend needs her help she returns to a town she never wanted to return to. Can she ever really escape? A powerful story of three different women trying to move on and heal. This story will captivate you with raw emotion.
Part romance and part suspense, I enjoyed this title from the start. There's a bit of romance. And a lot of facing your inner demons.
What Emily went through in her home town of Hawthorne was devastating.   Her Mom had died, her Dad had taken to alcohol and a friend suggested she go to church for help and support. That is when the real tragedy happened.  The pastor dragged her off, hid her,shacked her and brutally raped her over and over again....telling her she was his “Mary”.   Eventually almost at death’s door, often wishing she could be left alone to die, she managed to kill the pastor and escape.  No one thought she would survive.  Her boyfriend called her a whore , and her father was no support.  As soon as she could she left Hawthorne to disappear from the rumours abounding......that she was having an affair with the pastor and there had been a car accident and the pastor killed.  Very few knew the truth and the father asked that it not be divulged.

Living in the city she managed to survive as a computer expert, living a solitary life.   Except she could escape the nightmares.    Drink and sex were her only escape.  Getting drunk she could forget for a short time and she would clutch on to any man who would have her, but only for one night.....no relationships.

Years later she received a phone call from Hawthorne from her Counsellor and only friend.   Paige’s daughter had been raped and was refusing to talk to anyone.   Paige thought Emily may be able to help her.  Reluctantly Emily returned to Hawthorne to talk to Cassie, Paige’s daughter.

The story then takes many twists and turns, and I found myself reluctant to put the book down.   It is a very well written story, one that will break your heart in places, and one that gives an insight as to how rape victims deal with a life changing horrific event.    4 to 4..1/2 stars
While the subject matter is deep, emotional and engrossing, the story doesn't snag or crawl and seems to gain momentum the longer you stick with it. Well thought out characters and plot.
This book was deeply emotional and difficult at times to stay with, not because it is slow -- it is definitely not slow moving - but because of the dark subject matter. Overall, the book is well written and ultimately does draw the reader into this compelling story. I look forward to reading more from this author.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
An amazing emotional story with strong characters.  At times it was so written so well with such true to life emotions it was hard to read but yet I could not put it down. A psychological thriller that shows what you can overcome if you have enough strength and pure will power. I highly recommend this book, I was hooked from the first page to the end! I am grateful to Netgalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is about testing the boundaries of loyalty, family and making a life that requires leaving the past is firmly behind.

Emily works for herself and is a computer expert and her skills are much sought after by companies worried about their security.  On a trip to Paris, whilst working, she receives a frantic phone call from her friend Paige.  Her daughter is in hospital, in Germany, after been attacked whilst traveling.

Emily met Paige many years before when she was having difficulties at home.  With her mother gone her father was struggling to cope and found relief in a bottle. Emily left Hawthorne as soon as she was old enough to leave.

Her own experience of trauma and the hands of others is what has shaped her now both mentally and physically.  The company she has started is doing very well, but the rest of her life appears to be on hold.  The only relationships she has are of the very one night stand variety.  Only her PA sees her regularly and looks out for her.

Her story comes out very slowly, so the reader is caught up in trying to find out what happened as soon as possible.  I enjoyed this book, especially the main characters which include her personal assistant who puts up with Emily's sometimes strange behaviour.  By revisiting her home town she also has to face demons and gossip.   Most of the town has got it wrong in their assumptions, but this just makes her angry.  An old love re-appears and all the assumptions at the time, are put to rest.

Her struggles with mental and physical scars from her time back at home are shocking.  How she survived is a mystery.

Things begin to change for the better and more positive, but these come from pain and fear.

This is an exciting book and hard to put down.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
Complementary book provided for honest review.

This book was such a raw psychological experience. It took me on a deep journey in to self discovery that I will not soon forget.
Very good book.  Kept my interest during the entire book. Very good storyline. Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book. #netgalley  #thelongroadhome
This book was so emotional and raw that I almost put it down but it had me at page 1. It’s not an easy read so keep that mind when starting this book. I felt haunted by Emily’s past and even though in several spots it was hard to read, I kept reading and could not put it down. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this book for my honest review. WOW!
Really intense psychological thriller with great character development.  I was hooked from the beginning. This story will not be for everyone, the content is raw and could be triggering for some.  But overall I thought it was a great read.  I would recommend anyone who likes this genre to check it out.

Thanks to Netgalley, J.H. Morgan, and the publisher for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
This book is an amazing read. Not pleasant at times but raw events and feelings. Should imagine it is what plenty of women feel and go through when they have been exploited, kidnapped and raped. Not for the faint hearted but a must read for men and women alike
I was on an emotional roller coaster while reading this story. I was hooked from the first page and these women captured my heart by their tragic ordeals.
Many thanks to BooksGoSocial and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
What an emotional read!!!!
Story is full of so many twist & turns and raw emotions.
Parts of this book were quite difficult to read but it was awesome to know that the women over came the hell that they were put thru.

Thanks BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for the ARC !!!
Thank you to Netgalley, J.H. Morgan and the publishing company, for allowing me an electronic copy for an honest review of the book.

This is a story about 2 ladies who have had the same similar experiences, and then also it does portray one of the ladies' mom as a minor character.   While the characters were very vivid and honest and you could resonate with them, sometimes the book was hard to follow.

The experiences for Emily and Casey were very thought out and you could feel their pain through the pages of the book, even as an electronic copy.  It also was very easy to understand the pain that these characters went through and how they start to try to come to terms with the issues.

I truly did enjoy the book, and would like to read more from this author.
What an amazing book!  It was hard to read what these two women went through
but it was very much a 5-star book!  I could not walk away from it for long!  I would love to read this
book again someday after it's published and the errors were fixed.

Thank you so much, JH Morgan, the publisher, and NetGalley for the chance to
read this wonderful book!
The Long Road Home is about 3 remarkable women. Two of which survived kidnapping and brutal torture and the third is a friend of one and the mother of the other. This book grabs your attention from page one! The characters grab your heart right away. Couldn't put the book down and such a page turner
Brutal, raw, emotional ride. Amazing book that I just could not put down. I felt for the characters as if I knew them. Read this book!
This thriller tells how sexual assault follows the victim throughout her life and often influences choices, good and bad.  This is a realistic telling of how women can spiral into alcohol and drugs, closing up and not trusting anyone or anything.  The three main characters are deeply flawed and are just like us as we discover in this raw novel.  Emily, the heart of the story, is a kickass ,take no prisoners woman as a result of her personal history which, when asked to help a friends daughter, flares to the present and has to be handled once and for all. It was draining to read, and empowering to finish.  Brava!