Just Another Girl on the Road

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Sep 2019

I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved the story of the resistance and the development of the characters, particularly Katrinka's. But the overt sexual scenes felt out of place and almost forced in without really adding anything to the story.
I could not get into this book. I wanted to because the summary is right up my alley. I can't really place where it went wrong for me but I was unable to finish it, which is very rare for me.
I normally really like historical fiction. I struggled with this book. I did not feel involved with the characters or the storyline at all. Sorry.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
The first chapter of the book was slightly confusing. There seemed to be so many characters and sub-plots to keep track of.

As I mentioned at the start, the book surprised me. How ordinary citizens were plunged into taking on roles to survive and save their country, is not new to WWII stories. But this is the first one I’ve read where a young woman’s emotional and romantic to more than one man is explored. I know that some readers found the inclusion and descriptions of erotic scenes somewhat unnecessary. However, I can see how sex could become an escape from all the pain.

While initially one doesn’t really like Katrina, you begin to understand and appreciate her bravery and compassion, especially for an 18 year old.

On the whole, I quite enjoyed reading this book.
***Received ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***
I started reading this book with high expectations as its one of my few WW II based books. But the expectations dropped right in the first chapter. The first chapter itself is confusing and changes POV multiple times.
After reading 35% of this book in kindle, I still can't follow what's happening in the story. Maybe it's just me. So, right now I am DNFing this book. I don't know whether ill pick it up again or not. I will update the review once I finish this book.
Rating: 2.5/5
I would like to thank NetGalley, the author and the publisher for providing me with this book for review.
I truly enjoyed both the historical as well as the geographical information. The French countryside is our favorite vacation spot. I did find that some of the characters were, at times, unbelievable and awkward, with some of the sexual incidents unnecessary. I would give this book a 3.5 rating.
Just Another Girl on the Road tells a story of Katrinka, who is really all but just another girl on the road.

We follow her journey through WWII torn Europe and the Far East, as well as a little bit of the American West Coast. We encounter new loves, loves lost, and loves meant for a time greater than the present.

You are drawn into Katrinka's story as it is told from multiple view points—all from people she cares deeply for and about. For a girl who is a true picture of compassion in combination of wanderlust, her story is one that tugs at every heartstring in your body.

The only aspect of Just Another Girl on the Road that I was not particularly drawn to was the high frequency of descriptive romance scenes.

Overall, this was well written and Kensington has such beautiful and lyrical prose.
I was excited to read this book as I enjoy books set in the war.  I tried to like this book but I found I couldn’t associate with the characters.  They didn’t make me like them or feel for them.  I found the erotic scenes a bit too graphic and not really necessary for the storyline.  The storyline seemed to move too quickly and the actual act of being a courier was downplayed and not important.  Things just seemed to happen and then there was no further explanation.
Just Another Girl on the Road is a book with intriguing promise. I don't often read historical fiction, but I've recently realized that I tend to enjoy it when I do.

I loved what a unique setting the story had, stranded in France (enemy territory, yikes) and following a undercover Jedburgh unit. The author did a great job of setting up the destruction of the time period while balancing it with hidden beauty in the midst of it. It was good writing and I found myself imagining the scenery and events very vividly as they occurred.

One thing that was trouble for me was my inability to relate to any of the characters.  I was taken aback by how quickly two of the characters fell into such intense emotions for one another, despite her tendency to continue to look for sexual fulfillment from others throughout their relationship and her continual pull back to someone else.
The erotica was… also a bit much for me. It's one thing if there's natural chemistry, or a slow-build up, or anything that draws you into the characters and makes you root for them, but the scenes occasionally seemed rushed, random, and a bit out of place.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to read this book ahead of time & I really liked getting to see an aspect of the war-torn period that I hadn't read about before!
I've always found it difficult to post from my iPad reviews, but I'm going to try.

The setting of WWII for stories is always emotional and evocative. There is so much courage, bravado, grit and determination shown and at the same time the lesser attributes of betrayal, cowardice and envy and very often the more basic " fear for your life" and for those around you.

This story encompasses all that is a girl of mixed background who found herself in circumstances and places beyond her control and displayed a sense of compassion to the dying which was not understood by all.

Displaying courage way beyond her 18 years our heroine is made of sterling stuff.

Slightly different to the usual settings of WWII
Oof. The first chapter of this book jumps perspective at least eight times. That's too much; it's dizzying.
I may come back to this, but to open with a brutal rape and nauseating character jumps is just more than I can handle right now.
I love reading historical fiction and so I was exited to read this book. However, I struggled to finish reading it. I didn’t love to storyline or the characters.
A WWII Romance with Erotic scenes.
I loved the WWII resistance story, the story itself was good. The characters were rather odd and the scenes did not match the character. The story would be good with Katrinka a young girl as a resistance fighter, but unbelievable in how the character was portrayed.  The story was very good than out of nowhere there would be an explicit sexual scene that added nothing to the story and felt rather out of place.  If those scenes were not there I would probably give the book 4 stars for the resistance story.  It would have been better if the romance would have been left between Farr and Katrinka or at least Farr Katrinka and Will.  The story of the resistance fighters was rather good in itself and if you are one that likes explicit scenes you will probably like this book.
I really liked the setting of this historical fiction.
I'm always eager to get to know more details of the two wolrd wars and also this book, in its way, gave me some new notions.
Throughout the book there were eroticism that surprised me. Somehow I thought that in war's time there is no place for such things, but in the end I think that this trait gave the story an even humaner side.
The characters were really peculiar and even if I loved the plot and Katrinka indipendence, I didn't always understand it or didn't feel involved. I read it in 2 days, I wanted to know how the story devolped, if the gipsy spirit of Katrinka would evolve into something else, and if her love story with Farr could have an happy ending.
It is a really good story, but I think that some links between the scenes, the development of the plot and  the flashbacks are still missing.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the free copy to review.
An interesting read, the writing is good and I loved the characters, the instant love wasn’t great in some scenes and felt a bit erratic at times, but an enjoyable read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved the ideas behind the story and some of the characters were interesting, but I felt that it did not quite hang together. There were episodes in the book where the author concluded a situation without having developed the concept first - when Katrinka first meets Wolf, there is liittle hint of attraction, but in the next paragraph, they are deeply in love, an idea that persists throughout the book, despite Katrinka's infidelities. And the encounter with Josef seemed to have been added in later to allow the author to finish the book neatly - good idea, but I suspect this was not part of the original script and was added to try and tie up loose ends..

This could have been a very good book but , for me, just misses the mark.
The author did a brilliant job of capturing the time period in this novel.  The characters and plot were also well written.  This was a great piece of historical fiction!