Sewing 101

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Sep 2019

Very good book.
As a not new but very inexperienced sewer, this book has the answers along with pictures.
Highly recommend
Sewing is a relaxing as well as useful hobby . I like to sew my own dress. This book is a great gift for those interested in sewing.......
If you have never sewn before but would like to give it a try, this book is a great place to start. The photographs throughout are clear and help those, like me, who are visual learners.

As a beginning-ish seamstress I found the tips valuable and helpful- little things that other sources might not mention.

After working through the projects even someone brand new to sewing will gain many skills and be ready to tackle other patterns and projects.
Great step by step on everything that you will ever need to know about sewing. It teaches you all about the basics to get you started. There are lots of hints and tricks to help as well. Highly recommend for anyone just starting out and even the experienced.
An excellent book for beginners to sewing, or for more experienced sewers looking for a refresher. This comprehensive book covers everything you need to know to get started, and includes lots of fun projects to help you learn what you're doing. There is so much helpful information packed in here, and loads of helpful photos! A welcome addition to any crafter's library.

#Sewing101 #NetGalley
A good instructional book about sewing.  Clear instructions, lots of information and good photographs.  The sort of book I would buy for someone just starting out.  There are projects to try which will increase sewing skill. Household projects as well as clothing,  The only thing I found to dislike was the title which is very American and would put off some UK buyers who would think the terminology in the book would be from the USA.
After checking this book out, I realised I had read it before (or a version of it) from my local library and one other place I cannot recollect when I first started sewing and it is a very helpful tool.
It has all the tips to start sewing at home, as well as appropriate projects for beginners and is a good gift for anyone considering the option to start sewing in earnest.
It has enough pictures and diagrams and all the required information.
I love the tips it give. I learn how to sew when I was like 8 years old, but I didn't practice a lot, so I'm not that good at it, but the advices given here are really good.
As you can see, the updated version of the book has colorful pictures that show exactly what is being talked about. instructions are clear and extra Tips are included to offer even better guidance and assistance to new sewers! I love how it takes the new sewer through the basics of their sewing machine, including what to do if tension goes wrong, and how to clean the machine! With so few sewing machine repairmen around, these are VERY valuable skills to learn!

From there the book takes the new sewer through basic projects that teach skills like pattern cutting, pattern laying out, and basic sewing and binding. By the time a new sewer finishes the book, they will have enough skills to tackle most intermediate projects with ease! You could easily use this book as a foundation for teaching what we used to call 'home ec sewing', as it also teaches basic hand sewing as well. The instructions are easy enough for most high schoolers to follow along without an adult, but having an experienced sewer around would be helpful for when errors happen, or something isn't quite right. Another great entry for the series, and I suggest buying it with any new machine for new sewers!
This was a very nice beginning sewing book with both clothing and home projects included. Some of the projects in the clothing section may be too advanced for a beginning sewing but it is still a quality sewing book. The pictures and instructions were well done. Some true beginners may have to find a you-tube video to actually see the process required. Those that are advanced beginners should enjoy the book. Thanks to Quarry books and Net Galley for allowing me to read and review the book. I would recommend this to advanced beginners.
Everything you need to know about sewing
"Sewing 101. Master Basic Skills and Techniques Easily Through Step-by-Step Instruction" by the Editors of Quarry Books was first published in 2011. This paperback edition is published in 2019. The book starts with an instruction "How to Use This Book" before being divided into three major sections: 2) Sewing Basics, 2) Sewing Garments, and 3) Sewing Home Décor. Furthermore, it includes a glossary and an index which is very helpful. The book covers hand sewing as well as machine sewing, sewing supplies, special products (such as cutting boards, elastics, fusibles, ...), fabric information, cutting decorator fabrics, ... and everything that is needed from selecting a pattern to cutting the garment. It is highly appreciated that the book includes valuable tips for the readers. It is presented with great graphics and pictures as well as the already mentioned index and glossary. The "Sewing Garments" section includes also information about "What you'll need", "What you'll learn", and "Quick References" which will be valuable for the beginner. The projects presented in the book cover a vide range. They can be copied or used for inspiration. The only thing missing is a list of references where the patterns for the garments or similar patterns can be bought. The book is a great guide for absolute beginners and very informative. It is also a great gift for those who are beginners in the area of sewing.
The complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley free of charge. I was under no obligation to offer a positive review. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
#Sewing101	#NetGalley
Sewing 101
By Editors of Quarry Books
This is a lovely book of sewing advice and instruction for beginners. The information was valuable in understanding the basics required to begin a variety of simple projects. Although the fabrics and some patterns shared were dated, the information is timeless. If you are looking for some sewing insight this is a great resource.
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This is a great resource for new sewers as well as experienced ones. Comes with great information. Pictures are helpful and there is a lot of value in what this book provides. It should answer most of the questions a novice sewing has.
I am still a relative newbie to sewing, and I found this book to be immensely helpful. In addition to the clearly written instructions supported by step-by-step color photographs, the publisher offers ten short, on-line videos to assist with basic knowledge of sewing. After sections covering sewing basics, the book offers specific projects listing what will be learned and the materials needed. The practical projects include garments as well as home decor.

While I did receive an electronic advanced reader copy from the Quarto Publishing Group via NetGalley, I also plan on ordering a physical copy as the information contained is something I want at my fingertips. I have not found a more clearly written book for beginning sewers. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review and received no monetary compensation.
Sewing 101 is an excellent first sewing book as well as a great reference for your shelf. It covers everything from fabric, patterns, cutting, hand sewing, to projects as detailed as a jacket, vest, pillows, vest, and much more. Good directions, great tips and lots of pictures. Very well done.
Seems like a great resource - step by step instructions, including photos, on everything from how to thread your sewing machine to installing zippers and sleeves. I'll reserve a final decision until I actually try one of the projects, since that's when instructions will either make it or break it. I do like how each project contains a list of skills you will learn, fabric hints, important things to keep in mind, etc.
This book has a lot of great information for beginning sewers and those that are intermediate. It has information from how to set up the threat on the sewing machine, hand sew buttons, and how to cut patterns, plus so much more. This is a great book to have in your arsenal and I already have it pre-ordered so I can have a paperback copy.

Sewing 101, now in paperback, is a complete entry-level sewing course taught through 20 step-by-step projects for garments and home décor.

Have you always wanted to try sewing but aren’t sure where to begin? Sewing 101 teaches you everything you need to know for successful machine sewing. Sewing Basics gives you a firm foundation for learning to sew, offering essential guidance for your sewing machine, fabrics, patterns, and supplies. The Projects are arranged progressively, from simple garments like T-shirts, skirts, and aprons, to more challenging home décor items such as blankets, tablecloths, and Roman shades. Each project introduces and explores new sewing skills in depth. Variations will inspire you to create your own designs. Newcomers will also find the accompanying online videos that present the techniques in action an invaluable resource.

Written specifically for beginners, the books in the 101 series are complete illustrated guides to the basics of a craft that present projects supported with full-colour, step-by-step instructions and photos to teach essential techniques.

If you have ever wanted to sew or understand your machine, this is the book for you. It takes you from step one right through the ability to make things through a series of projects. Fabrics, different kinds of stitches, threads and understanding patterns are clearly laid out and explained as well. Visual learners will also appreciate the videos that accompany the book - I didn't look at them as I find that I personally cannot learn from videos as Youtube videos generally baffle my mind so I didn't check those out.

This is a great book with which to learn to sew just about anything on the planet - it would be a fabulous gift for any would-be sewer or anyone wanting to improve their skills. As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 	🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵
Special thanks to NetGalley and Quarry Books for allowing me to read an ARC of SEWING 101: MASTER BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES EASILY THROUGH STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION in exchange for an unbiased review.

SEWING 101: MASTER BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES EASILY THROUGH STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTION by Editors of Quarry Books is a beginner level sewing course with 3 sections - Sewing Basics, Sewing Garments and Sewing Home Decor, along with a Glossary and Index. SEWING 101 teaches you everything you need to know for successful machine sewing. There are 20 projects supported with step-by-step instructions and full-colour photos and Tips and Quick References.
I am always happy to learn from my reading, so I was pleased to learn some new things while reading this book. Although I have experience sewing, I was unfamiliar with a bodkin until I saw the photo of a bodkin being used to thread elastic through a casing along with an explanation of the tool and how to use it. It would be much more efficient than my method of using a safety pin.
The ARC that I read did not mention getting patterns off internet. In the past I chose my patterns from Pattern books like those mentioned in this book. Patterns are also available online, so it should probably be mentioned in the book. My daughter sews beautiful clothes from sewing patterns she obtained online.
I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn how to sew with a sew machine. It also makes a great reference book.
4.5 creative stars ⭐️️⭐️️⭐️️⭐️️

Posted on Goodreads August 29/19
NetGalley August 29, 2019
Savvy Reader August 29, 2019
A really fabulous book for anyone wanting to learn the basic of sewing. With step by step visual instructions to making T-shirt, pull on skirt, Trousers, vest and more. This book starts one off into making simple core garment, once the steps are understood, more advanced  garment can be made.
There is also a section on home items such as cushions, curtains, bags and other home  decorating items, all explained and easy to make.
I have been sewing for close on 50 yrs and never thought of putting double sided tape to hold zippers in place rather than pins - never to old to learn.