Cover Image: The Dogs of Cuba

The Dogs of Cuba

Beautiful photography that touches your heart! Emmy Park did an amazing job at portraying the dogs of Cuba, and the images that made it to the pages were selected by an experienced hand: the mixture of moving and humourous pictures makes the book a delightful thing to look at.
A delightful, lush photo book of man's best friend in Cuban settings. Having been to Havana, I really enjoyed seeing even more dogs. Link will be live Dec 4.
The Dogs of Cuba by Emmy Park is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-September.

A photography series to aid and foster the many dogs of Cuba depicted along sidewalks and roadsides, on porches and train tracks, on bikes and in arms.
I love travel photography and dogs, so this was kind of the perfect book. Emmy Park is a great photographer and did such a great job of capturing dogs (and sometimes people) around Cuba.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

Well.  let's start with the amazing photography.    and then the amazing dogs.... and hell, let's just say the entire book is utterly amazing.

get it.   you need it!
I don't know what I enjoyed seeing more, the love these dogs have for each other or the unconditional love written all of over the faces of their owners. This book was a wonderful collection of photographs taken by Emmy Park while she was traveling through Cuba. Even though she was actually there to cover a skateboard tournament, she quickly noticed the amount of dogs wandering the streets. It's no surprise that dogs are cherished in America more than almost any other country. Now, I just got back from living in Korea for 2.5 years and can attest to the previous statement. It pained me to see dogs chained up to porches and businesses, or just running along the street looking for their next meal. But this is the only life they've known. Of course, each place has exceptions. Some people truly love their dog more than anything in the world. Which is true for me; my dog is my baby, so I could never imagine putting her through something like that, even though she was on the streets before she had me.

Regardless, the photos in this coffee table book are absolutely stunning and are well worth flipping through!! Huge thank you to NetGalley, Schiffer Publishing, and Emmy Park for an advance copy of this book!

The Dogs of Cuba hits shelves September 28, 2019!
The pictures in this book are stunning, and even though some are harder to look at than others, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. The combination of strays with mange, with dogs on horses or motorbikes made the images both Poinient and humorous. It was also appreciated that there were also images that included the landscape of cuba and the people living there as it made this book more than just a series of images of dogs
This is such a beautiful art book! I loved seeing the architecture of these somewhat hidden sides of Cuba in the background, as well. This is a great coffee table book for any dog lover.
I visited Cuba last year.. Outside off your air conditioned hotel., Cuba was poor and I mean really poverty. Especially after Irma. What Emmy Park has achieved with this book is to give you a real sense of the country and its dogs.  Gone are the tourist photos and what you see is the real Cuba. The photos portray what’ it’s real like for the people and dogs.  A beautifully put together set of photos. High recommended.

Review to come in September.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I just adore dogs, I just love photography books, and I love to travel to other countries, so this book was all for me. And I can say, after reading this one, that I was right. This was magnificent.

Yes, it was a shame that the quality of the photos weren't that good, but I will blame the ARC for it. Not the first ARC with eh quality (and I have even seen worse). Other than that I just loved this photography book and how it was raw and unedited. Yes, there were quite a few photos that were clearly set up, but many others just showed dogs going their way through Cuba. Mostly it seemed to be street dogs, based on how they looked (ruffled coat, tails broken/weird, scruffy looking, etc.). But we also see Cubans with dogs. Kids, old men and their pets, young men. It was really fun to see the relationship between the Cubans and the dogs.

I loved seeing the dogs (so many different kinds), but it was also fabulous seeing Cuba. Seeing the colourful houses, the interior, the people, statues.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this photography book to all. Dog fans or Cuba fans.
Emmy Park is a NYC-based fashion, portrait and pet photographer.  She went in Havana in 2015 to document the Cuban skateboarding scene.  Noticing dogs everywhere, she ended up touring Cuba's four provinces taking pictures of the dogs.  She learned that there were no laws for the protection of domestic animals in Cuba, leading to the abuse and abandonment of dogs.

Through social media, she connected with animal rescue organizations in Cuba and decided to use her photography to raise awareness of the plight of the dogs in Cuba.  She hopes that seeing the images will inspire you to join her movement in helping the dogs of Cuba.

I love reading books about animals so this book caught my eye.  Plus because Park is a photographer, I was interested in seeing how a professional would capture the pictures.  The book is full-colour pictures.  Some of the dogs are obviously well-loved and well-cared for.  But it's obvious that some aren't ... they are skinny and one seemed to be looking for food around some garbage.
Was there every any chance that I was going to give a book filled with pictures of good doggos less than five ginormous stars? No, obviously not. I've heard about the dog population in Cuba and I'm thrilled that I get to see so many of them in this book. Not thrilled that so many of them live on the streets and that there is little to no protection for them. Also, these pictures are lots of fun because not only are these good boys (and girls) clearly having a great time, but also for some of the photos it's like Where's Waldo, but with dogs. Like Where's Doggo, but in Cuba. Anyway, take five minutes of your time and flip through this book because, duh?
I am a photographer by trade(and hobby), one who has always fancied a trip to Cuba. I am also a big dog lover with my own wee frantic tornado of a West Highland Terrier called Murdo. In other words, this handsome and colourful photo book by Emmy Park was made to catch my attention. It caught it.

Firstly I admire that Cuba is as much a subject as the dogs themselves and Emmy Park manages to capture not only the dogs but does the landscape and colourful culture of the Caribbean island justice as well. Be it a dog among the rubbish or one posing with a Cuban fire crew and with her fire engine, the tenderness and love of Cuba and her dogs shine through. I was also impressed with the sheer volume of photography on offer. Murdo my west highland terrier also gave a bark or two of approval for more than the odd page,

Maybe a Dogs of Scotland next?
5 stars - all the stars!

I don't know if this can count as reading seeing as it's literally just pictures of dogs in Cuba
but I got it on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review and I gonna review it.

I saw this and immediately thought - I have to request this.

1- It's fully of really beautiful photographs
2- It depicts Cuba in the correct way, it doesn't glorify the poverty but shows it
how it is, it's people and it's adorbale dogs
3- Dogs, Dogs, Dogs

Dog spelled backwards is God that's all im saying

100% Recomment 10 out of 10 5 stars all the stars
This is a beautiful book that would be at home on a coffee table or vet's waiting room. The photos include a wide variety of dogs in various locales in Cuba.

Thank you to Schiffer Publishing Ltd. and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
Absolutely wonderful gift book for any dog lover. The pictures capture wonderfully the life of dogs  and the joy in our relationship with dogs. Highlyr ecommended
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Discover the lives of Cuba's dogs through the lens of award-winning photographer Emmy Park. This book is full of beautiful and raw images; explore the relationship between Cubans and their canine companions that roam the colourful streets, iconic landmarks, and remote areas of Cuba. Learn about local animal rescue organizations that provide care and medical attention to dogs without homes, and why they need support. Featuring every Cuban province, be transported into the daily lives of dogs against the backdrop of rugged streets and lush landscapes.

I am a cat owner (it would be cruel to have a labrador on the 6th floor ... I may want a "walking hug" but I cannot be that mean to it.  Like most countries with little access to spaying and neutering (and little money to spend beyond food and shelter), Cuba has a lot of dogs. There are dogs everywhere and Emmy Park captured their soul and essence in this book. I loved the photographs and kept ooohing and aaahing over their little faces. (I think my favourite may have been the dog with the chicken and chicks).  Any animal lover would adore this book as much as I did and it would be a welcome gift to them.

Side note:
*********************
DO NOT TOUCH THE DOGS IN ANY COUNTRY - A Norwegian tourist died from rabies after petting a dog in the Philippines: It was the first rabies-related death in Norway for more than 200 years. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48226676

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•πŸ•
The photography in this book is simply sublime to look at.  Cuba is visually stunning to begin with, adding dogs in to the equation brings another layer of heart and emotion to the book.  I enjoyed the fact that the pictures were never repetitive. and each photo represented a different mood to a varying degree.

Only minor quibble is that I would have liked a little more information on each dog photographed, but it's neither here nor there.

Would make a brilliant gift for any animal lover.

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the arc.
"The Dogs of Cuba" is an exceptionally well done and remarkably beautiful volume.  While there are many photography books that have been published using the urban landscape of Cuba as a jumping off point, they tend to be icily perfect studies of  decayed buildings or calendar-like photos of the vintage cars which (really don't) line the streets of the country.  'The Dogs of Cuba" creates a wonderful perspective to the formula by adding heart and spirit.
The photos themselves are amazing, technically perfect, and tightly composed.  The dogs come in all moods and varieties, sometimes taking center stage, other times needing to be searched out and discovered.  The book never becomes trite or repetitive with all the photographs working together as a group and as stand alone images.
The only photographic work in  this area I can think of that approaches the variety and artistry of "The Dogs of Cuba is that of Elliott Erwitt and his collections on dogs.  Though the first one was published in the 1970's with many subsequent collections, Erwitt's work remains fresh and delightful.  I can easily see this book being mentioned in the company of his work and I know it will be a book treasured by collectors decades from now.
I think this is a different outlook to Cuba and a must read for dog lovers.
I loved the pictures, they were lovely and a good depiction of Cuban life.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.