Cover Image: Date Night

Date Night

So that was stupid! It was ok until the end, the secret was just dumb and nasty. Don't bother with this book!
I was in the mood for a mystery and needed something that I could sink my teeth into as now and again to mix up my love of romance, I feel like I need something grittier. Now I knew this book would be a hit or miss as it is a UK fiction which tends to be a slower pace and I found myself enjoying it, however, I was a bit disappointed with the ending of this book when everything surrounding Sasha's disappearance unraveled. The book starts with Libby finding herself arrested for the murder of Sasha, then the book jumps back a few months earlier when the story starts with Libby finding a note on her car that her husband Sean is having an affair. Libby knew he had been working late and they had started to drift apart but she never considered he would be cheating. However, as soon as she reads the note, her suspicions start to get the better of her and she starts to notice holes in Sean's stories, etc. The couple then goes on a date night to try and get their marriage back on track as it has been a while since they spent a night out - just the two of them. They leave their daughter with the babysitter aka Sasha.  When the pair arrived home though, they will be in for a surprise as their daughter is fast asleep but Sasha their babysitter is nowhere to be seen - yet her bag and phone are still here. Thus begins a mystery and investigation into Sasha's disappearance and Libby is made to look like the number #1 suspect but can she prove her innocence especially as the odds are stacked up against her? Will Sasha's disappearance is connected to an even older mystery as Sean's past is brought to light with his ex-wife and family? Find out in Date Night by Samantha Hayes. A good UK thriller that will have you trying to untangle the web of the police's investigation.
In an attempt to fix their broken marriage Libby sets up a date night with husband Sean to discuss his alleged affair and how they will move past it and grow together. However, after dinner doesn't go as smoothly as expected they return home to find their babysitter missing and their infant daughter alone upstairs. What is discovered as they try to piece together what happened that night is so mind bending and twisted you never know who to trust or what to believe. I highly recommend for fans of the mystery/thriller genre. The ending of the one was mouth-open shocking!
Absolutely enjoyed from start to finish, u didn't want the book to end. Highly recommended, if you like books that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
A really good mystery. Twisty and turny and will keep you well hooked. I would really like to read more by this author. 4/5
What would you do if your world came crashing to a halt?
This book kept me on my toes from the first word! You would not think a simple date night could end up so disastrous. Or hope not anyways. You would like to believe nothing bad would happen with the person you left your child with and trusted with their well being. This story was a well written dark web of lines. The characters were easy to connect to. The story - dark and twisty.
Wow an ending I didn't see coming!  This book kept me guessing from start to finish.

Libby finds a note left on her windscreen claiming her husband Sean is having an affair,  When she confronts him Sean denies  everything and they head out on a date to try and clear the air between them and measure her all is well with their marriage.

The date is a disaster with Sean receiving texts and unanswered phone calls all night while Libby tries not to wonder who is trying to contact her husband so desperately. They head home early after arguing and find their 4 year old daughter in the house alone and Sasha, their babysitter missing.

Libby is later arrested with the murder for Sasha, although she denies everything her story seems a little unreliable.  What happened to Sasha and who was involved?

Thoroughly recommend this and guarantee it will surprise you in the end!

#NetGalley #DateNight #SamanthaHayes
I really loved this book! It gripped me from the very beginning and I found Libby to be a really relatable character. This book twists and turns and leads to a truly unpredictable ending!
I  couldn’t put this book down. Libby’s character is intriguing and we are immediately plunged into her surreal situation,

I loved how the truth unravelled throughout and had no idea who could and could not be trusted.
If you are a fan of genuinely good psychological thrillers where you are left dumbfounded at the end, then Samantha Hayes is the author for you. She has a way of telling the story that leaves you to guess what is implied. Her twists and shocks are not straightforward and that is what I like about her books. Like many authors nowadays she doesn’t assume the readers to be stupid and does not chew everything for them.

Date Night was the first book I read from Samantha Hayes and I absolutely loved it. The first person narrative really added to the suspense. Was Libby telling us the truth? Did she believe what she was telling us? There were so many constant questions to ask throughout reading that it really managed to keep me interest. I cant wait to read more from this author.
Date night by Samantha Hayes
I give this book 3.75 stars
Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house.
Is Libby and Sean's relationship all it seems,one of them is keeping a dark secret,that's going to come out with devastating consequences,the trust is shattered......
As you read the twists and turns gradually reveal themselves,a psychological thriller you will want to keep reading right to the very end!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for my advanced copy
First, let me thank netgalley and the publishers for approving my request for an early release of this book.  All reviews of my netgalley books can be found on goodreads and youtube.  Please be sure to check out the links attached.
It's been a while since I read a book by Samantha Hayes and I was really looking forward to diving into Date Night. It hasn't disappointed, I was gripped from page one and it's been a fast and furious journey through a story that is very well-written, with an intriguing plot and lots of twists and turns to keep the reader gripped.

Libby and her husband Sean arrive home after a night out in a local restaurant to find that the babysitter has gone and their four year old daughter is alone in the house.

This is a psychological thriller that works best going into it blind-the blurb above tells you all you need to know really! Which makes it EXTREMELY difficult to explain exactly why I found it such a brilliant read. Let’s just say if the idea of having unreliable narrators who make you so frustrated that you think you could burst from not knowing what the hell is going on appeals, then this is the book for you! Told in a “Now” and then making sure you are flashed back to a “Then”, to balance the narrative and try to fool you with possible clues, this is a full on “who, what, when, where and why” thriller that keeps you guessing until the final few pages.

Samantha Hayes has incorporated so many issues into Date Night. It is packed with characters who are damaged and damaging. With themes of loss, guilt and darker issues that are quite unexpected, this is a story that keeps the reader on their toes. Despite the many storylines and the multiple characters, Date Night is easy to follow and paced quite perfectly. Each new chapter brings another surprise and there are so many red herrings and misplaced clues along the way, I defy anyone to work out the ending before they turn the final pages.

I was totally hooked, very intrigued and most impressed by the writing style, the character creation and the wonderful sense of place. Great psychological thriller and recommended by me.
This started strong with the mysterious note but quickly fell off for me. I was really hoping more clues were going to be left. The back and forth mechanic near the end went a different way that wasn’t exactly clear and wasn’t fair to the audience. The ending was pretty guessable and not overall satisfying. I would recommend with caution
I have had this one on TBR list for awhile and now I don't know why I waited so long to read it. I was pleasantly surprised by this one and longed for more when it was done. Samantha Hayes definitely knows how to write a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat and will surprise you at every turn.

Libby and Sean have had a rough patch in their marriage and are going on a dinner date to try and patch things up. When Libby can't let go of something that is bothering her though, will they be able to have the dreamed of date night that they needed? Things just begin happening and don't stop. I never saw some of the surprises coming and when I read them I just wanted to read faster and faster.

Libby and Sean have a little girl named Alice. When Alice's baby-sitter goes missing while Libby and Sean are out on their dinner date, little Alice keeps saying crazy things about stuff that she thought she saw while they were gone. What is she talking about?

This one is too good to give away much at all in my review. Just know that you will enjoy it so much! I read forever one night because I could not put this one down. So good. All I can say is that I now want to go back and read all of Samantha Hayes books and I hope that she has more planned in the near future for us to read! Great job!

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book and all opinions are my own. Thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book.
Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for the free review copy!

2 stars. This novel started out promising for me: the babysitter disappears and it appears that the mother who hired her is the prime suspect . The pace was a bit slow for me and the big reveal was so astonishing it didn't feel plausible.  It truly came out of left field for me. Overall, this one fell flat for me due to the tedious pace and convolution of the ending.
Another book that was hugely gushed about, and one that I regularly reminded myself I had to get to. It is the story that again starts with a note, this time we're told that Libby, our lead, is being cheated on. We also see that she's being arrested for murder.

The book jumps between present, her arrest, and past, where we see her picture perfect life as the owner of a culinary business. She has the now beautiful house, husband Sean and little girl Alice. I really enjoyed the laying of the story, where your mind fills in some blanks and tells you what has happened as everything starts falling apart as all trust goes out the window. I literally could not put this down, although at times I was slightly put off by sudden information being planted into flashbacks that had been played before without thar information. It was an extremely unputdownable book with a nervous, unreliable lead in Libby, an ending that had it's stunning and yet also  bad parts, making it, for me, one that some will love and others might not! Thanks to Bookouture for the book in return for an honest review.

Rating: 4/5
Well, what a books full of fantastic twists. Loved samanthas previous book the reunion and this one was equally captivating if not more so. Thankyou to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.
3-3.5 stars

So I liked this book, the story was good and I was surprised by the ending (didn’t see that coming until really close to the end)!  But I just feel like the story was a bit confusing at parts. The first “before” was the distorted truth, but then you find out later it wasn’t what actually happened at all.  Or at least not the complete truth. So that was a bit confusing for me and a little frustrating.  I don’t want to give too much away and ruin the entire book for anyone who reads it.

The storyline was good and like I said, I did like the ending. But I just feel like it fell short.  I would still recommend Date Night to anyone who likes a psychological thriller because it was still overall a good read.