Cover Image: Date Night

Date Night

Libby has never been arrested before, especially now on the suspicion of murder. Libby is left to wonder how on earth she got there? So we have to go back to the beginning, when everything began.

Libby was taking her 4-year old daughter, Alice, to school when she discovers a note on her windshield. The meaning of the note was straight to the point—her husband Sean was having an affair. Even though Sean swore up and down that there was no truth to that note, Libby remained suspicious.

To clear the air, Sean suggests he and Libby go on a “date night.” Since Sean’s mother was busy, she was unable to babysit Alice. Instead, Sean and Libby hire their occasional babysitter, 17-year old Sasha. But when the couple comes home after their prickly date, Sasha is gone. Sasha isn’t the type to leave a child unattended or forget to take her phone and belongings with her. Something is definitely wrong—and that’s when Libby phones the police.

The days after her disappearance, the police are trying to uncover just what happened to poor Sasha. And Libby is trying to decide just how much she really knows her husband. Libby thought she could trust him, but that trust is what put her in this predicament in the first place.

Date Night is Samantha Hayes’ latest thriller release. Last year I read her novel, The Reunion, and was underwhelmed by the storyline and the writing, but luckily I found Date Night to be an improvement from that. This story is told in dual timelines: “now” and “before.” Every character seems guilty up until the end when all the pieces come together. I wish the ending was more concrete, as it left off on a bit of a cliffhanger, but I still enjoyed this read! 4/5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Samantha Hayes for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Date Night.

Libby and Sean have a happy marriage; she has a burgeoning catering business and Sean is a sought after vet. But, when Libby receives a mysterious note saying Sean is cheating on her, misgivings and doubt plague her mind and taint her relationship with her husband.

When Libby and Sean return early after a much needed date night, they discover their babysitter, Sasha, is missing.

Where she is? What could have happened?

Date Night is a typical thriller; the story is told from the perspective of the unreliable female character who knows more than she's telling the readers.

And that's my main gripe. From the beginning, the author doesn't tell us much, just bits and pieces she wants us to know and as the story unfolds, Libby reveals what 'really' happened.

I dislike when authors use this literary device because it's not a twist; it's purposely misleading to the readers when you withhold information.

I enjoy reading mysteries/thrillers because as I read, I want to solve the case as it unfolds along with the hero or heroine. If the clues are purposely held back so the readers can't figure out what is happening, this is not a twist, it is dishonest.

Second, Libby is an unlikable character. She lacks strength and spends far too much time worrying and fretting over Sean's possible indiscretion.

If she was so worried about his adultering, why not follow him? Do a little investigating of your own instead of worrying needlessly?

There are plenty of suspects, and red herrings but the story is bogged down with Libby's fretting, repetition over what happened that night and what 'really' happened.

I did figure out whodunit early in the book, but I liked the finale, the reason behind Sasha's disappearance and how it ends.
Sam Hayes’ latest novel gets right into the action - Libby, who runs a catering business, finds an anonymous note on her car informing her that husband Sean, a vet, is having an affair. Although there’s no other evidence, the doubts immediately set in. But it’s not till Libby and Sean go out for a “date night”, designed to reassure her, that the trouble really starts, when their babysitter Sasha mysteriously disappears.

The story is told from Libby’s perspective and it’s apparent from early on that she isn’t telling either us or the police everything - there are apparently inexplicable discrepancies. But it’s not till much later that the truth finally starts to emerge.

It’s readable and well plotted, and I never guessed the truth till it was revealed. Libby annoyed me slightly - her obsession with Sean’s possible affair and suspicion of every woman in his vicinity, even when so much else was going on, got a bit wearing after a while. In retrospect she was a bit hopeless, actually. Still, it was a good holiday read which kept me guessing.
Yes, if you only read one thriller this year. Make sure it’s this one. Everyone will be talking about this book. And for a good reason. It’s brilliant. Really well written with plenty of twist and turns. This book will have you racing through the pages as you desperately try to discover what’s going on. One not to be missed
All I can say is wow! What a captivating read that’s full of twists and turns! Samantha Hayes is a fantastic author with the ability to add multiple layers to her story whilst keeping the reader on the edge of their seat! I also found myself guessing who the culprit could possibly be throughout the book and I have to say that I was thoroughly surprised by the end! Amazing!
Thank you netgalley and the author for a chance to read and review!
Yasssss this thriller was SO. GOOD.
I read a ton of thrillers lately and its getting hard to shock me, but this goes in my top three of 2019!
Fast paced, great twisties, yes!
One of the BEST thrillers I have read in YEARS! Exceptional and addicting. You won’t stop until you finish the very last page. 5 huge shiny bright stars!
Anyone who enjoys a good psychological thriller with more turns than a maze and a new twist around every corner will love this book. Every time I thought I knew what had happened there was another surprise leading to the shocking conclusion. Definitely one of the best books I've read recently.
Review will be posted on Goodreads and Amazon
Date Night by Samantha Hayes
Release date August 20th 2019
     Sean and Libby seem to have a happy marriage. Then one morning Libby is taking their daughter Alice to her mother-in-law's and Libby finds a note on her windshield. "Sean is having an affair". The note has been bothering  her for a couple days now. So Sean and Libby decide to have a Date Night to reconnect and put the note out of their minds. Well date night doesn't go as planned and it leaves Libby more suspicious then before. They leave the restaurant early and head home, both them not speaking to each other. When they arrive home they discover the babysitter missing and their daughter left home alone.
     From here the story takes on a wild ride and ends with twist I did not see coming. I gave this book 3.5/5 stars rounded up. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Thank you #netgalley and #bookouture for the free copy of #datenight for an honest review.
I just finished this book last night and I have to say, I did not see that twist coming. As a regular thriller reader, you start to learn going into a book that ALL is not generally what it seems. After a few books under your belt, you expect to see a twist coming and assume it's the least expected culprit. As a mystery lover, I'm always on the lookout for who it could be (the friend, the mother in law, who did it?). But honestly, this was a new twist and something I didn't expect. With multiple layers, this story is intricate and you definitely need to pay attention. I'm so glad I did and I love how writers continue to come up with creative ways to surprise their readers. If you love domestic thrillers or books set in the UK, I definitely recommend spending some time with the Date Night! Kudos to Samantha Hayes and thank you for the surprise ending. It was my pleasure to read and review this book.
Wow what a fantastic book, loved every page full of twists and turns and a brilliantly addictive page turner, such a well developed story with a fantastic ending.

I have read a few books from Samantha and never been disappointed, all well written page turners that are so hard to put down and I can thoroughly recommend this book, a worthy five stars.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read this fantastic book.
Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house and our babysitter, Sasha, is missing…

Days later, when I’m arrested for Sasha’s murder and torn away from my perfect little family, I’ll wish I had told someone about the threatening note I received that morning.

I’ll hate myself for not finding out who the gift hidden inside my husband’s wardrobe was for.

I’ll scream from the rooftops that I’m innocent – but no one will listen.

I will realise I was completely wrong about everything that happened that night…

But will you believe me?

****
I absolutely loved this book and could barely put it down. I was suspecting so many different outcomes and different people throughout the book. The only reason it has lost a star for me, is that at times I felt the book read as slightly muddled, and also, for me, the ending was too abrupt, which left me disappointed as the story was so good. Otherwise it would have been a 5* read.
This was a really good read for me , with a totally unexpected twist at the end . Libby and Sean are having problems in their marriage they decide to go for a night out to try and recapture what was missing recently . The night doesn't end well and after bickering they go home to find their babysitter missing and their daughter asleep upstairs , The story is recounted in the present and the evening of the date and the aftermath that follows . With Libby trusting Sean less and less and random notes telling Libby that Sean is having affair there are more suspects than you could shake a stick at  , an overbearing mother in law and a pain of an ex wife the plot ticks along nicely . A little slow at times but that didn't spoil my enjoyment in any way .
Really enjoyed this, although it did seem a little muddled in places.  Really interesting premise and, unusually, despite going through a number of possibly explanations, I honestly wasn't quite expecting the big reveal.  Good stuff.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Libby and Sean are seemingly pretty happy until Libby gets a note on her windshield saying that Sean is having an affair. He says he isn’t but she starts to notice some shady behavior. They go on a date night to set things right and nothing goes right, especially when they get home to find their babysitter missing, a situation Libby eventually gets arrested for.

I thought this was a twisty turny page turner. Every other chapter, I was suspecting someone else as being the person Sean was having the affair with or the person behind the babysitter’s disappearance. At the end I was completely surprised. I didn’t suspect any of it. Solid read as usual from this author.
I don't know what to say about Date Night; except put it on the top or your TBR pile !!

Secrets, secrets, secrets !!!

Family secrets tend to be more destructive. !!

I wanted to believe and suspect others ; didn't get me far !!

I wasn't even close at guessing the ending of Date Night.

I am a big fan of Samantha Hayes and her books just keep getting better and better.

Thank you to NetGalley an Bookouture for another great read !!
"Sean is having an affair" This note greets Libby as she arrives at her car in the morning. Sean is her husband, of course. From that point on, Libby has lost trust in Sean no matter who she speaks with - she is only fooling herself that she doesn't believe it. Right?

After all, Sean is a veterinarian.and a stand-up guy in the in the village. Although his ex-wife is awful, she still has Sean at her beck and call so he can see their son, David who is 15.around her little finger so he can see their son, David, who is 15.

Sean and Libby go out for dinner to find romance, again, and to patch things up. Sean swears he is not cheating on Libby. They have Sasha babysit their 4 year old daughter, Alice. Unfortunately, the night continues to grow worse when they get home and there is no Sasha  (Yet her books and phone are still there). This is just the beginning of a story you will not be able to tear yourself away from!

Hats off to Samantha Hayes, again! An awesome thriller that is sure to entertain everyone! Just when you think you have it all figured out, you are thrown another curve.

An absolute MUST READ!!!

Many Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for a brilliant read!
Someone has a date with fate........

Hardly a sacred moment to rekindle that fire.

Libby and Sean Randell have been experiencing a lot of static in their marriage as of late. Both of them have demanding careers with Libby's gourmet catering business and Sean's on-call life as a vet. They also have a lively four year old daughter, Alice, who loves spending time with Sean's parents on their farm outside of Great Lyne.

As Libby starts her car one morning, rushing as usual, she spots a note on the windshield. The words scrawled on the paper will forever change the dynamics of this family. The heaviness of the warning seizes at Libby's heart. Sean is having an affair.

Is it a joke by neighborhood kids or did someone place it on the wrong car? Libby bides her time, but eventually she confronts Sean who adamantly denies it. To smooth things over, they decide to go out to dinner at a local restaurant. A quick call to their regular babysitter, Sasha, sets things up for the night.

Romance and candlelight begin to fizzle on that arranged date night and the couple begin to argue and decide to return home. Upon opening the front door, their eyes tell them that something is definitely wrong. Alice is sound asleep upstairs and there's no sign of Sasha. Frantically, Libby drives through the neighborhood looking for the missing girl. Anxiously, they call the police. And now we readers will get a jolt of the electrical current traveling through this one.

Samantha Hayes delivers with Date Night. The story is told in chapters of Before and Now with the voice of Libby leading the way. Hayes fills the story with unexpected potholes and we feel the slam from each one. The scenarios presented roll back and forth and all around as we try to grab one that makes sense or offers adequate clues. This one is a slippery slope with no brakes.......just like we like 'em.

I received a copy of Date Night through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Bookouture and to Samantha Hayes for the opportunity.
Brilliant read, I was completely absorbed and read it in one sitting. It will keep you guessing right to the last chapter and nothing will prepare you for the mind-blowing ending. I always love books by Samantha Hayes but this has to be her best yet.
OMG this is brilliant! I am a huge fan of Samantha Hayes, her books are all wonderful! This one is extremely twisted and I literally could not put it down.
Some horrible, selfish characters and some literally jaw dropping twists. Nothing is quite what is seems and all I can say is poor poor Sasha getting involved in this scenario.  Another example of people who you think live perfect lives living anything but. Fantastic book!