Date Night

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Aug 2019

While this story did keep me on my toes, the writing was sub par. The characters were not likable and dialog was unbelievable. .
I have enjoyed all of Samatha Hayes work so I was excited to read her newest book Date Night!  This book was super easy to get into .... than it just sort of lost me ... I think this book could have had great potential but it fell flat to me.
Date Night by Samantha Hayes was an enjoyable and easy read. The story is told by Libby in two different timelines, when she has been arrested for the murder of Sasha and the events leading up to her arrest. I was hooked from the first chapter and this book kept me guessing to the very end. I’ve read one other Samantha Hayes book and have a few in my TBR pile so will definitely be reading those soon.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this ebook in exchange for my honest review.
I loved Samantha’s last book, so I was really excited to read this one. Unfortunately I had to abandon this one early on. I just found some of the actions/emotions and escalation thereof not believable and it drove me crazy. I will try to finish this at a later date, but putting it aside for now. I do appreciate this arc and thank the publisher and netgalley for it in exchange of an honest review.
This book had me all sorts of confused. I do have to say I was definitely never sure who I thought did it. Kept me on my toes. I know the point was to not make you think you had it figured out but the contradiction between what happened and what really happened is confusing to me.  I enjoyed this book a lot but just didn’t really understand what was happening. Don’t really know how to rate it.  I’m torn. 3.5 stars.
Read all my reviews at https://brainfartsandbooks.wordpress.com

Libby and Sean's marriage is on the rocks. Sean suggests just the two of them going out to dinner on a date night. They hire their regular babysitter, Sasha, to come and babysit their daughter Alice. But the evening ends in disaster as Libby and Sean get into an argument at the restaurant and they return home before the night is over only to find that Sasha is gone. Her school books and phone and other personal belongings are all there but there is no sign of Sasha. Alice, however, is safe and sleeping in her bed.

This book is a fantastic read with some really questionable characters such as Sean's ex wife, Natalie, and even his mother and father. I thought Sasha's parents also acted a bit strange seeing that it was their daughter who had gone missing. This book kept me guessing until the end. Extremely well-written with a fantastic twist at the end.

Thank you to Netgalley, Samantha Hayes, and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Holy moly! This book was intense, in the best way!

Date Night follows Libby who has a date night with her husband, Sean, after she is left a note leaving her questioning her marriage. When they return, their babysitter is missing. Questioning her marriage, the disappearance, and everyone around her, Libby starts to lose control and struggles to find who is keeping secrets and who is telling the truth.

This entire book kept me guessing from the beginning until the very end. Well written and thoroughly engrossing, I very much enjoyed this mystery novel, where it seems that no one can be trusted.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.
Rating 3.5 stars

Life is good until Libby finds a note stuck to her car window saying husband Sean is having an affair. Sean denies this and to help smooth things over they set a date night at the local pub.  They organise for a babysitter to come as Sean's mother is busy that night.

After returning early from a disastrous date night with Sean, Libby knows something is wrong the moment that they arrive home. Sasha is no where to be found though their daughter is still asleep upstairs.  They contact her boyfriend to see if she is with him, then her mother. But no-one has seen her and they call the police to report a missing person.

Weeks later, after the police have searched their house and the surrounding countryside, Libby is arrested for Sasha’s murder, even though she was out with her husband at the time she disappeared.

I enjoyed the book and whilst I didn't see that ending coming I thought that this one person was involved - I won't say too much as don't want to give it away.  However at times the over novel felt a little jumbled as the story kept changing as the days passed, showing the holes in the original story and kept flicking between the past and present too.  Normally I don't mind this flicking but it felt a little disjointed in this case.  Plus during the police interviews, Libby kept floating off into the past which broke the story off. And finally few times there was repeated descriptions over a quick succession of pages that stood out.

I received this book from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
This book was amazing from start to finish! The way it switched from past to present was done in such a way that the book flowed easily and kept you guessing on the plot line! I could not put the book down, would highly recommend to others!
'Jaw Dropping Twist' this book was advertised as, so here was me thinking I was in for a treat.

The book is written in the style that focuses only on the ending, each chapter past and present until both time lines meet.

The book itself was a steady read, I thought the characters were fine , we had the normal ' woman crying too much' and 'man acting like an idiot' characters but it wasn't too annoying.

The ending was dreadful and shouldn't be described as jaw dropping, it was one of the worst endings to a book I have ever read, the biggest disappointment.

What a waste of my time this book was, please don't bother reading it.
Date Night is a really good psychological thriller that had me hooked from beginning to end.
Libby and Sean with their daughter Alice live a pleasant life, Sean owns his own veterinary practice and after having Alice, Libby is building her own business up by providing catering for people. Life is good until Libby receives a note stuck to the front of her car window saying Sean is having an affair. Sean denies this and to help smooth things over suggests a date night. Sasha who helps Libby sometimes in her catering business and babysits does so that night but when they come home Sasha is missing.
This was a book that had a bit of everything, the story is told from Libby’s perspective and works well bouncing from before and after the event. I devoured this in a day and the ending was something I never ever saw coming!
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
A cracking read with a huge chunk of insanity to nudge the story along - as if author Samantha Hayes needs any help!

This new-to-me author has crafted a wonderfully chilling plot, executed perfectly with just the right amount of pace. You won't find any boring chapters here!  Samantha Hayes’ writing style was flawless and everything just flowed, the short, snappy chapters allowing for an undemanding and enjoyable read.

The characters in this story were well drawn and very believable and Samantha Hayes has done a grand job at bringing them to life on the page, though they were not particularly personable, giving me cause for wariness. Date Night was very hard to put down and I found myself thinking about the story even when I wasn’t reading it, This was one of those books that had me guessing all the way through and I had my own suspicions as to what might happen next only to discover that I was barking up the wrong tree completely. This book had an incredible twist that I didn’t see coming at all.

Totally gripping throughout, I hope it won't be long before there is another offering by this outstanding author.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
What’s it about:  Libby and her husband are having marital issues and go on a date night to patch things up. They come home and the babysitter is missing.

What I liked about this book:  The book caught my attention in the beginning and I found the characters interesting. I enjoy books with unreliable narrators and this offered that.

What I disliked: Although the beginning was interesting, the book felt slow at times. I expected more shocking reveals throughout the book and the plot was pretty predictable.

Overall impression: I’d classify this as a “middle of the road” type of thriller. It’s not bad, by any stretch of the imagination but isn’t overly great. 3/5 stars.

Special thanks to NetGalley for providing advance review copies in exchange for my honest review.
This story follows Libby, she returns home from a date night to find her baby sitter is missing. Then she is charged with the murder of her baby sitter.
This is a compelling story of secrets, lies and control; juicy and well-spun. It dragged a bit in the middle but concluded spectacularly. I really enjoyed this book, if kept me wanting to read more and more.
Prepare to be shocked with this one! I was going in circles this entire book trying to figure it out, and I was still so surprised! This story is so well developed and the premise is so twisted that you might as well just quit trying to figure it out. What was meant to be a date night to get things back on the right track for a couple ends up being a web of nightmarish events that could end up being the end of them. What in the world really happened and who is not being completely honest. Don't be so quick to believe everything in this book and be prepared to be glued to the pages in this twisted thriller!
I preferred this second read of Hayes than the first (The Liar's Wife), there was something more real about this one, and the writing felt more emotive. I really enjoyed it!
This is a fast paced psychological thriller. The premise was great with a married couple going on a date night which doesn't go as planned. From there things become a nightmare situation. The story is told from the perspective of a married mom named Libby in 2 different timelines. She was annoying as a character nor did I like her husband or mother in law. There were a few surprises and the ending was unexpected. The chapters are short and the book is a page turner at times. I will definitely read other books by this author.
Date Night is a fast-paced, gripping domestic thriller that hooked me from the first pages and never let go until the stunning ending. There were so many twists and turns that I was always kept guessing. Just when I thought I had figured it all out, a new revelation proved me wrong. I don’t want to say much at all about the story because part of the beauty of this read for me was having no preconceived notions about the characters or the plot. There is plenty of action and suspense in this emotionally-charged and unpredictable story. I really enjoyed this riveting book and highly recommend it.

This is absolutely the best domestic thriller that I have read in a long time. This book is like a runaway train; you get your ticket and you just can’t believe how wild the ride is. Fans of domestic thrillers absolutely have to read this book. I gasped over the revelations at the end, and closed the book with a sigh, wishing that the thrill ride were not over yet.

If you’re a mystery/thriller fan like I am, Date Night is an absolute must read. My best advice is to go in as blind as possible. Samantha Hayes has brilliantly created a riveting story-line that you will not be able to put down. I have never read Samantha Hayes prior, but consider me 100% wowed. I am in awe how well thought-out the plot for the novel is, I cannot get these characters out of my head. Date Night is a five star gem and I am so excited to dive into all of Ms. Hayes other novels, she has a new fan and this book is most definitely on my 2019 favorites list.
This book has kept me on the edge of my seat! It's exactly everything I wanted in a thriller, I couldn't put it down! Great read!
Exciting, Suspenseful, & Thrilling. A great story with a lot of twists & turns; that keeps you guessing.. Will highly recommend to others