We Died in Water

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Oct 2019

"This emptiness - hers - is also mine."

I loved reading these collection of poems. It's a memoir about love and loss both about the author's romantic relationship and her parents'.

The writing style was beautiful and despite me not experiencing some events similar to hers, I could feel the sadness from some of these poems.

"The first thing he ever showed her, with the rose, that gesture, was that he'll only give her what appears stunning in its mystery and that would have to be enough."

Overall, this was a good read and had managed to make me feel emotional.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy for an honest review.
I always have a bit of an issue rating books that are considered biographies or memoirs. I want to make clear that I'm not rating a person's experience, or their feelings, when in reality I base my ratings on my enjoyment of the book. That being said, I unfortunately didn't love We Died in the Fire.

I think that my lack of enjoyment had to do mostly with my personal style and not the author's writing. I could see why so many people liked this book. It was raw and emotional, which I appreciated. It also had many lines that were incredibly moving. I think I just had a hard time following along at certain points, with some parts being incredibly metaphorical and others seeming to be incredibly specific to actual events in the author's life. Not that that's a bad thing, but I found some sections hard to relate to.I also found myself getting distracted very easily while reading We Died in Water and I'm not sure if that's because of the poetic style, or maybe I just wasn't in the right place to be reading it.

As I mentioned, this book had some really beautiful sections and I would still suggest it others although I didn't enjoy it much myself. I'm interested to see what else Meg Flores writes and am definitely not opposed to picking something else up by her.
By [author:Meg Flores|19117252] // Pub date Oct 1 2019.

Review also on my website: www.scientificstars.com

I RECEIVED AN ARC FOR THIS BOOK.

WRITING: ☆☆☆☆
OVERALL : ☆☆☆☆

This is all it takes to disbelieve a thing - a glimpse. A soft undoing.
We Died In Water is a bewitching poetical memoir that forces the reader to fully grasp the journey enclosed - both the heartache and learning that comes about from a relationship.

Though I have no experience in heartbreak, in leaving or being left, I did find myself engrossed in how Flores manages to almost make her troubles seem artistic. She mixes paragraphs that drag you like sand meshing into the ocean ,  and a sentence or two crashing into you like waves. I found myself rereading pages, and pausing at some to just think about the hurt and continuity that both mother and daughter went through.

We come apart and turn colorless.
As someone who is very much into poetry, a couple of pages from this work has made itself into my journal. Thank you for pouring your heart into these pages.

If you would like to pick up a copy of We Died In Water, please visit your local book store or if you prefer to get yourself a signed copy, head to Flores' shop.

credits for my image, made using:

Ipad mockup: Anthony Boyd Graphics

Scene mockup: Junnxy @ CM
This book is so, so, so good. I read the entire thing in class and might have shed a tear or two. If you're a fan of poetry, please do check this book out!! The poems are so beautiful and it is evident that Meg put her everything into these. Some of them just really hit you.
We Died In Water is like nothing I have read before yet something I have always needed. From someone who has lost love and found it again, I relate all too well to what Meg Flores was portraying. Her pain was my pain and her found love left me falling in love with mine all over again. These pages are a breath of fresh air. Like talking to your best friend who just gets it. Who sees your pain while also inviting you in to take a deeper look. Leaving you hope for the light at the end of the tunnel and the goodness that comes from brokennes. Liberating and honest. The vulnerability and realness is like nothing else I have ever read. The description so poetic and accurate it's like she used the words you have been trying to say to describe your journey all along but never knew how.. Meg is so incredibly talented with her words and the way she feels is so beautiful. A must read for anyone who has lost and found love, I promise you won't regret it.
Thank you IBPA and Netgalley for the free copy in exchange for an honest review.
First and foremost, Meg Flores's writing style is beautiful. There's a sense of individuality that separates her from other authors out there.
Moreover, I love the theme of water & the sea. However, it became too repetitive that it began to bore me. I believe that we can write something revolving around a theme without being too literal and repetitive.
Kudos, still! I would definitely read more of her works in the future.

Where to find me
Instagram : @iqrareads
Goodreads: @iqrareadsbooks
“Now when I look out at oceans I imagine love to be as
 dedicated to extending itself. To move in ways that overspill
as much as it must withdraw. And as the waves rearrange,
I put my love there. I see the release in being immersed.”

“We died in Water” is a poetic memoir surrounding around two main emotions, love and loss. I found I was looking in a window trying to catch up, for whatever I was looking at was already half way finished. When I fall into this category with reading, I make a subconscious post-it that is it me and not the author’s work. I am not where this poet needs me to be to fully experience the words, images, and feelings expressed.
I caught glimpses and enjoyed those parts. I think everyone should at least try to read poetry, for each person walks a different path, and maybe this collection would be more for you then it was for me, at this time. I also think poetry is something that can age with you, for the more experiences you have in life the more ability you will be able to associate with it.
I struggled with this book, but at the same time I am interested in more of Meg's work. The meandering was the point, the repetition was the point, like the sea, going in and out, and the currents, moving in a way which you cannot see. The themes are something everyone can empathise with but at the same time they are set in a way where you empathise or you don't. I, sadly, don't on this occasion.
This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and it did not disappoint. In this book, which is a poetry collection, we follow the author´s experience on love and loss and how those experiences shaped her and shaped how she saw and joined life. In this book she talks mainly about her past relationship comparing it to how her father left her mother and her new relationship which she compares to the two previously explained experiences.

I truly enjoyed this book, my favorite part was definitely when she compares her past relationship to her new one. It is a beautiful representation of how better things always come. I believe everyone can identify to some part of this book, we all have been through a breakup and have seen someone go through it. It is amazing how even though we all experience love and loss differently we still have things we all can relate to.

The only reason I took one star was because I had a hard time getting used to the water metaphor, I know this was the main idea of the poetry collection, but it got repetitive at times. This is probably because I don’t read a lot of poetry because I have a hard time understanding it and it shows, however I would truly recommend this book to someone who reads poetry and enjoys metaphors like that.

Overall, this was an amazing book, it was a great example that with every end comes a new and improved beginning. It was a refreshing new perspective on love and loss and I would definitely be keeping an eye out for what the author published next.
I received an advanced reader's copy for Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. 3.5 stars.

We Died in Water was unlike any of the poetry I had ever read. (At this point, I have not read an incredible amount of poetry, but when I do, I tend to read war poetry. So this was quite different.) The author tells the story of her own heartbreak by contrasting her relationships with the ocean, its waves coming toward the shore and then breaking away. The book mainly focuses on one of Flores' past romantic relationships, with her drawing parallels between the end of this relationship and her father leaving her mother.

"I have seen only this: Someone lets go first."

I didn't feel a real connection to the story, but there are many beautiful lines. The comparison between the sea and Flores' journey is a distinctive and personal part of her own loss. We all feel pain and grieve in different ways, and I commend Flores for her brave portrayal of her own grief and story.
Full disclosure this was provided via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

“We died in water. Like any fire would.”

This book is a beautifully written memoir of love and loss that should be read by all.
The language use is incredible, the flow of this book is incredible and it’s fluctuating structure from page to page is glorious. This was a joy to read.

Meg Flores is definitely on my author to watch list from now on, I cannot wait to read more from her and I’m honestly astounded that this is the first thing that she’s published.
"Like the ocean, we kill something and still keep it alive."

Wow! Just wow! Is it too quick to say that I absolutely CANNOT wait to read another Meg Flores book! This book is everything that I love reading about. This book has hypnotised me with its themes of losing the people you love, finding love again foreshadowed by the memories, finding beauty in those painful experieces and the fact it surrounds under the imagery of water, every aspect that I love reading about! Its a beautiful poetry memoir of the poetess' and her journey in love and how every love in her life affected her next ones. In the end, she is all about her realisation that, with every end came the new beginning and every time she hopes this time to be different. I connected with this book at the core of my being! I really loved reading about someone who sees beauty even in times like that. I am trying to be less of a spoiler here. Wow! Absolute masterpiece! Period.

Will I recommend it to others? I will forever be recommending this book! I don't care what genre Meg Flores writes in next but I will be reading it, I wouldn't even mind if its horror/paranormal, I am just grabbing that book! One of the best debut books I have read this year after Children Of Blood And Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. This is the only review so far I am writing without a sense of professionalism to it, whatever that is supposed to be. This is my honest review. I loved this book and I loved the way it was written. As soon as I turned the last page, my heart was broken. It wanted more! I'll be reading this book again very soon. This book is genius!

I am sorry if I was repetitive, this book has blown my mind!
Beautiful emotional moving.Poetry that brought me to tears love loss life a heart wrenching read.#netgalley#megflores.#independent book publishers
I could actually feel every page coming natural out if the author. I had never felt so much in a self published book. This book deserves much more than what it is here. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loved Nayyirah Waheed and Upile chisala though it ain't a good choice fit those who hate Instagram poetry
We Died in the Water is a fantastic book. It’s for those who have lost loved and lost. It’s a hard book to set down. It’s emotional and heartfelt. It’s even a book to go back a read. It will stick with you.
The best poetry doesn’t follow a set of rules or fall victim to expectation. Just ask Bukowski. It doesn’t matter if it’s a lengthy paragraph or singular line. If it hits you in the gut or evokes emotion, it’s poetry.

Meg Flores hit me where it hurts, several times and in the most therapeutic way. Loss shapes you and in this case, takes the form of water. So beautifully written.

“I have seen only this: someone lets go first.”
I absolutely loved We Died in the Water! Meg Flores writes a memoir that is open, vulnerable, and raw. She grants the reader an intimate look into her life as she examines the loss of two key relationships in her life; when her father left the family when she was a child, and of a key relationship that lasted eight years.

In the most beautiful, lyrical prose, her reflections help her see the causes that led to the leavings, her coming to acknowledge her part in the loss of her personal relationship, the impact of the leavings on current and future relationships, and the blessings she has gained from them.

This is such a beautiful, warm, flowing book that I read it entirely in one sitting. I highly recommend it!

Many thanks to NetGalley and IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association) for allowing me to read a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
I quite liked this poetry collection by Meg Flores. Poetry is definitely very hit and miss for me but I enjoyed a large majority of the poems in this collection and sped through it.
5 stars.*

While I was reading, I couldn't help but be reminded that the writing style was similar to Lana Del Rey's and I found out the author is a huge fan such as myself! I enjoyed reading this as I am very connected to the ocean. There's so many moments where I was able to feel what the author was feeling while reading, since grieving and loss is normal in life. I loved the descriptions of the waves and how things get taken away and then return, only to be taken away again. I felt very entranced and reading every single line reminds me of how it feels to be near the ocean again, but with more sense of longing.
Meg Flores' book "We Died in Water" is a poetic memoir about love and loss. Overall, it feels imbalanced. There are hyper specific details amidst an extremely vague and generic story. Some of the visuals are enchanting and interesting while others are extremely lacking. One does not get to know the characters in the memoir which made it hard for me to feel connected while reading. Ultimately, "We Died in Water" was rather mediocre (much to my disappointment).

HOWEVER I am interested in seeing Flores' future work though.