Cover Image: More Than Just Mum

More Than Just Mum

More than just Mum is a title which jumped out at me right away, resonated on a personal level. I had little knowledge about the plot of this novel before I started it, and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it overall.
The title character, Hannah is a mum and teacher (as I am) so I empathised on many levels, but her story is one which could be enjoyed by anyone who wants a bit of realist escapism (is that a thing? It should be!) Enough of the story is familiar to make it relatable with a few genuinely laugh out loud moments, especially in the second half of the story.
Admittedly, it did take me a bit to get into the story. I didn't know quite where it was going to go for the first few chapters and I wasn't sure I was 100% getting it, but once the story got established I really enjoyed it.
Loved this fun read!  Great believable characters.  Lots of laugh out loud moments.  Very relatable.  Want some more of Hannah's story.
Thanks NetGalley and Impulse, Killer Reads and One More Chapter for the ARC!
This is a book that many ladies out there can recognise: the desire to be known as more than just a mother. And this is what this novel explores as Hannah attempts to move beyond her label and make her identity known once more.

As a qualified teacher of Biology but now in an English classroom, I found the school scenes extremely funny, particularly the ones describing Hannah’s lessons with her Year Nine class. Having been in a similar position, I could easily hear her students’s voices in my head and recognised the rebellious behaviour and stresses of being in a classroom. But, the comedy does not stop there. Hannah’s monologue is entertaining and I was regularly chuckling aloud as she tells her story. It is this that made me give the book a four-star rating – the plot itself was just a bit weak to be appreciated without the humour.

So, the premise is that Hannah intends to be known as more than ‘mum’. Whilst she is a part-time teacher, she is dissatisfied and having a sort of mid-life crisis at the prospect of her children growing up and her eldest flying the nest. Desperate to maintain some sort of control over her children whilst allowing them to be independent adults is a theme which many parents can relate to. However, in a bid to become something else, Hannah attempts a career change and writes a book that she has been determined to produce for many years. This aspect of the plot felt forced and convenient although, I was entertained when extracts of Hannah’s book were provided in the narrative. A lot of the characters talk about Hannah’s novel but I wish there had been more features of it.

The main characters are all very likeable and it is clear that the author has written from the heart and from experience. The teaching setting is an accurate reflection and I could easily picture the craziness of Hannah’s household. If it wasn’t for the actual plot, I think I  could have easily given this the full five stars.

I was a bit bored by the narrative and instead sought out more humour to keep me interested. That’s definitely disappointing but, I did find many elements entertaining, nonetheless. If you are seeking an uplifting story then definitely consider this book. However, for strength of plot, you may want to consider something else of this genre.

With thanks to NetGalley and OneMoreChapter for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Nice story, I could easily relate to the character and it felt realistic and original!It was fun and hilarious, I had a smile on my face most of the time!The book shows this problem in a funny perspective. The main character, a part-time teacher named Hannah, has 3 children and all she wants is to reinvent herself.If you are looking for a fun and lighthearted read this is perfect!
Loved it the reader gets drawn in to the character's,live like and humorous.A good plot that centres around the main character
I had a very hard time becoming engaged with this book. The story of Hannah was very slow to unfold and I found myself stepping away for weeks at a time rather than finish reading it. It did get much better in the last 3/4's of the book but I would not recommend this book at this time. Perhaps a sequel will be better but the first one fell flat for me.
Hilarious! Far more than a working mum story is trying to have it all. Such an easy entertaining story to read. Hannah is easy to like as is the rest of the family. Plenty of laugh out loud moments. I miss them all already and really hope the future holds a sequel as to Hannah’s career plans!

I really liked this book. There were numerous parts where I found myself actually laughing out loud. Hannah is an actually very relatable and likable character. Her dynamic and personality really keep you invested in the story. This is a great story that many mothers can relate to , where you are finding yourself among work, kids, marriage and changing day to day events. If you want a laugh and are feeling yoruself searching to find your true self, this will make you laugh and smile.
This is well enough written, but I found the book a little too like real life. When I pick up a novel, I want escapism and to be transported into a world that's better than mine, rather than a peek at a harassed and tired mum's daily grind. It took a while to get going, too, with a good deal of scene setting where not much happened.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
When reality hits you in the face....

Very realistic when it comes to having kids and how they don’t listen. Or even the changes in marriage after years of being together.

Well written and had some humorous parts.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.
As a mom of a near adult and another near teen parts of this book we’re definitely relatable in how Hannah deals with her kids. And it certainly had some funny laugh out loud parts. It was good but a bit slow.
Thanks so much NetGalley for the ARC!

Fun and humorous story about a middle age woman trying to figure out her way in the world.
Its fun, its relatable and it was laugh out loud funny!
Let me start by saying this book was absolutely hilarious, I haven't full on belly laughed like this for a long time. We follow the story of Hannah, she is such a relatable character, I absolutely adored her. Hannah is a married, working mum in her forties. She is a teacher and has a particularly hard time with her English Year 9 students. We see Hannah juggle all these different aspects of her life. Like a lot of families , money is tight so Hannah thinks of other ways to bring in more money into the family purse. She decides to put pen to paper and write a book. After all how difficult can it be? Hannah decides to tackle the erotica genre with hilarious consequences as she and her husband embark on 'research' for the novel.

This book is honestly so funny on so many levels, it also includes humorous insights into family life. This is my first read from this author , I can't wait for her next offering. Fantastic.
This book was good-ish. I didn’t hate it at all, related to the characters, and completely was able to relate to the main character, but at the end I was just trying to get to the end.
More Than Just Mum is a hilarious read that honestly makes you laugh in every chapter. A welcome surprise as this is not my regular genre and I flew through it, enjoying it perhaps too much!
Hannah is married to Nick, she is in her forties and is juggling a part time job as an English teacher for year nines with running the house and looking after their three children. We follow her inner struggles of not enjoying her job as she is really a biology teacher and feels she is struggling teaching English. Money worries as her eldest is off to university and realisation dawns that it’s an expensive journey. Hannah re-evaluates her life and decides to write an erotic book on her days off and this in itself is hilarious. Full of funny things but not going to spoil them as you need to read them first hand in the book.
I would like to thank Netgalley and HarperImpulse, Killer Reads and One More Chapter for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
Hannah Thompson is a hard working Mum of three. She's found herself constantly putting her family first, sacrificing her own needs and identity and struggling to make ends meet. She wants to put herself first again and do something that is away from being a mum, a wife, a teacher. When inspiration strikes, she decides she is going to be a writer. And not just any writer, but take on the genre of erotic fiction. What ensues is a light-hearted story, that made me smile many times.

There are so many aspects of the character of Hannah that were relatable to me as a working mum. You can see the love and affection Smith has for Hannah in how she has crafted her - a generous dose of good humour, a big heart and so much reality.

This is a book to read when you want something easy, with a few giggles. Thank you NetGalley and One More Chapter for an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
(4.5/5 stars)
Loved this! I wasn't 100% sure what to expect when I first started, but just a few chapters and I was hooked. The characters are all hilarious and so relatable. The plot was well written and I will be reading more by this author.
I can't recommend this witty, funny novel enough.
I laughed out loud more times than I can count. While my kids are younger than Hannah’s, I do have three of them and felt so many connections to her as a wife and mother. Sometimes I, too, feel like that’s my only identity. This book was enjoyable to read and reminded me, again, what an honor it is to carry those titles. I loved Rebecca Smith’s writing, her storytelling style and her characters. I especially appreciate that Hannah’s husband, Nick, was portrayed as a true partner who was imperfect but yet so very supportive of his wife and her dreams. I feel like so many rom-coms feel the need to paint men in a negative light in order to elevate the heroine but that is absolutely not necessary. Having a strong, supportive male does not weaken a woman or decrease her independence, intelligence or power. Anyway...back to the review. The book moved at a fast pace and kept me engaged. I’d definitely recommend this book...especially to mothers who might just need reminding that they’re not alone out there and that raising children doesn’t mean you have to give yourself up completely.

I received a free digital ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This is a delightful (and accessible) book about a mother who is craving more out of life (which is entirely relatable!). The routine of lurching from one socially acceptable crutch (Wine Wednesday - we have it in this house too) to another (Fizzy Friday) is relatable. I laughed out loud more than once (embarrassing on the train, to be honest...).
This really is laugh out loud, there is a story to it too, with wanting to know whether Hannah will finish her book and get it published, and if she will find another job. Hannah's life is so typical of any mum of teenagers that it is so easy to identify with. The hamster/rat part had me really laughing. Such a fun book, and a good read.  #netgalley #morethanjustmum