First Time Window Treatments

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

Before today, I've needed to redress my windows with new curtains, but I usually go and buy them ready made.  The most I've done is to buy two pairs for my windows and sew them together as it's rather large or I've taken a net curtain and reduced it's size down to be a café net instead.  This book shows you how to go one step further and make your own sets depending on the style you fancy.

This book contains six chapters:

~ Getting Started
~ Fundamental Techniques
~ Curtains and Draperies
~ Shades and Blinds
~ Top Treatments
~ Installation

To make curtains you need a few tools alongside the pole, material and a sewing machine and the book provides the details of the equipment required alongside how to cut straight lines, how to hem and matching up a pattern.

There are a number of curtain styles provided, Grommet, Wave, Gathered and Pleated.  There are x blind styles with Basic Roman and Relaxed Roman.  It also provides details on how to make a Valance or Cornice to add extra dressing to your windows.  Each style comes with a list of instructions and step by step pictures

Some of the terms are different, as I know a Grommet curtain as an Eyelet one here in the UK and the measurements are called yardage, though it does give inches and centimetres in the instructions.

The one thing that seemed to be missing from the book was how best to measure your window for a blind or curtain before you even start buying material.  Instructions and pictures on how to do this would be very helpful.

I received this book from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
Everything you need to know about creating some pretty fantastic, yet easy window treatments. Anyone who has been frustrated over finding the perfect curtain in a store will relish this book. With limited skills I was able to easily create an amazing look for my bathroom window and am now working on the kitchen windows.
I am a beginner at window treatments, and this book was very helpful! It turns out I was seriously underestimating the amount of fabric needed to get the look I wanted. This book takes everything step by step so you don't feel too overwhelmed by it all. A very useful resource for any decorator or DIYer!
A great, easy to understand book on creating your own curtains, drapes, and shades. Even a sewing novice will find something to make in this how-to volume. Includes fundamentals, tools, and materials, as well as sample projects with step-by-step instructions. Readers will be inspired to spruce up their homes with everything from a pleated curtain to a roman shade.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

Learning how to plan, make, and install your own beautiful curtains, drapes, shades, and other types of window decor may sound daunting, but with the expert, step-by-step guidance of Susan Woodcock in First Time Window Treatments, your goal is within reach.

Like having your very own sewing instructor at your side, First Time Window Treatments guides you expertly through the process, including:
Measuring your windows and selecting fabric
Fundamental techniques of cutting, seaming, hemming, and adding frills and trims
Making basic styles of curtains, shades, blinds, and top treatments
Essential tips and tools for installation

There’s a first time for everything. First Time Window Treatments will help you decorate your windows with your own stylish designs.

Writing as someone whose current "window treatments" are boards around the a/c held in place with black gorilla tape (not clear, it is 10x the price) this was a good book to give me ideas on how to spruce up the place.  The instructions are clear and concise and anyone with a basic knowledge of sewing should be able to make some amazing things for their windows for a much cheaper price than at a store. AND you won't have to walk 15 miles inside a Home Depot or a Lowe's looking for things!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🧵 🧵 🧵 🧵
This came in handy as we are moving into a new dorm this semester and a friend into there own apartment and I need to make inexpensive window treatment fast and easy. This is a great book to take you through the steps and get you ready for a new fresh start. Its basic and informative and perfect for the new sewer or an older timer like me. Lets get Sewing Thank
I enjoyed reading this book. I enjoying ding projects myself and widow treatments weren't something I hadn't considered before. After reading this book, I feel mentally equipped to work on my own. The author talks you through the materials needed to complete the basic widow treatment. Each project listed the skills and talked you through each step with clear picture guidance. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in doing their own curtains.
Very interesting book. Easy to read and well written. There was lots of great ideas I’d never seen or thought of. Could be a great hit
some really great ideas that I will be trying out in my home. Good easy to follow steps to completion.
First Time Window Treatments by Susan Woodcock is an excellent beginning book.  It is also great to have on hand for those who have made window treatments and need a reference guide to assist them from time to time.  Frankly, we make curtains for ourselves to last and match our decor so the need to change them often is not necessary.  That is why this book is great as a refresher.  There are excellent illustrations, photos and step by step instructions.

I would like to thank Quarto Publishing, the author and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is a very timely book for me. Just finished redecorating the guest room. I was going to buy some curtains but this book makes it all look so easy. Lots of ideas and clear instructions. So, I’m going to make them myself. It will half the cost and will make the room that bit more special because I made the curtains too!
First Time Window Treatments is a tutorial guide aimed at beginning sewists by Susan Woodcock. Due out 6th Aug 2019 from Quarto on their Quarry imprint, it's 128 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

Window treatments are a very important part of dressing a room. It can be quite difficult to coordinate fabrics in ready-made, which are likely of limited selection at local retailers. Additionally, if the room's windows are non-standard sizes, custom fitted curtains cost a king's ransom. For DIYers, it's entirely plausible to make it oneself, in the size(s), shapes, and colors needed. It's also a great way to coordinate the soft furnishings in a room with coordinated decorative pillows, etc.

This guide presupposes zero familiarity with sewing and the introductory chapters (23% of the page content) cover tools, specialist supplies, motif matching, seams, finishes and more. The following chapters cover curtains and draperies, shades and blinds, crown treatments (valances and cornices), and installation, including hardware. There's a short glossary, resource section (aimed at readers in North America), and an index.

The photography is clear and the step-by-step tutorial instructions are easy to follow. With this book in hand, a keen beginner could produce a simple window treatment (see cover photograph) without mishap.

Four stars.
Great book for anyone wanting to make their own curtains etc. Gives good illustrated instructions. Informative of tools, fabrics etc. Would recommend.
This ARC was courtesy of netgalley - all thoughts and opinions are mine and unbiased

A great, handy book

Great projects with good, easy to understand instructions and loads of great pictures

Very handy