Shortcake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Sep 2019

❥ 4 / 5 stars

At first, I gave this book 4.5 / 5 stars but when I thought over it again, despite the fact that I was pleased with the author’s writing style and truly enjoyed reading it, I realized two main problems that I couldn’t overlook with this book.

1. Some problems in the story were made but left unsolved at the end of the story.
(e.g. Conflict between Ben and his father. What happened after Ben knew something about his father? Did he forgive him and eventually get back on good terms with him or not?, How about Emmy and her cousin, Derek? Was Derek still mad at Emmy because of her relationship with Ben or was he okay with this situation already?)
——> All of these, I’ve got no clue at all.

2. Something that seems to make sense after it was solved but in fact, it didn’t.
(e.g. (view spoiler))

Owing to these stuff, I decided to deduct another 0.5 stars from the original ratings so it means finally, I gave it 4 stars out of 5. (which I think it’s still such a high rating for the author’s debut novel because it’s not usual to find a debut novel that made me enjoy this much.💘)

Keyword
- will
- living in the same house
- fake marriage
- enemies to lovers
- slow burn romance

Thank you to NetGalley and Lucy Watson for providing this e-ARC to me in exchange for an honest review.
I have been trying to expand my horizons this year and this book is definitely not my usual...yet it had me in stitches. I was laughing out loud, for real, even on the bus, in public. Although there are some serious subjects in this book, death of a loved one, PTSD, panic attacks, addiction and divorce, I found this to be the perfect example of a (sexy) romantic comedy done right.

I loved the blend of seriousness, romance and humour. The characters felt like real people with real problems, they had their good points and their bad....they were perfectly imperfect. They spoke like real people, and I loved how the dialog flowed between Lucy and Ben. Lucy had some VERY funny internal dialog as well. Some of the book was a little out there, but I was still engaged, invested and happy to read on.

Shortcake is like nothing I've read before and Lucy Watson has some amazing insight into humans. I am both envious and amazed by her writing and I can't say enough about these beautiful souls and their amazingly sexy and hilarious story.
Emilia and Ben are in an impossible situation that neither of them wish to be in. They have been left the estate of Ben’s recently passed Grandmother to renovate. Emmy really doesn’t want to share the space with brooding Ben, especially as he is convinced she is a con woman who charmed her way into his sweet grandmother’s will.

Being made to work together brings a lot of banter and a lot of sexual tension.

I loved this book from start to finish. Although there were comedic moments I thought it was more serious than a romantic comedy. I definitely cried note than I laughed. This will not be the last Lucy Watson novel I read!
I really, really liked this book! There were a lot of flaws (which I will get into below), but Lucy Watson's sharp writing style and loveable characters really won me over! Enemies to lovers is also my jam.

I lovvveeedddd the witty banter between Emmy and Benjamin. I laughed out loud multiple times and also loved the many perfect movie quotes/references.  I did enjoy a lot of the side characters including the memories of Rose, Ben's friends, and Mara.

Now to the flaws...
1. I'm really confused about the weird love triangle with Derek. The entire storyline with him was left hanging and I did not like it. I honestly thought he was going to show up at the wedding to walk Emmy down the aisle (I was hoping that Ben would get him in on it) and was majorly disappointed when that didn't happen.
2. The ending was very abrupt. It could have closed out a bit better and tied up more loose ends.
3. The conversation about their pasts could have gone much deeper. They dealt with some serious issues and I would have preferred for them to dig deeper.

Despite the flaws, Lucy Watson really won me over with her writing and I will certainly be awaiting her next read! Thank you to netgalley and Lucy Watson for access to the ebook!
Ok what a fun, sexy and actually really steamy rom com. I loved shortcake. They have it stay together during a renovation and let’s just say the sparks really fly. They were fun and charming characters and just really loved this. Please everyone give this a read. You won’t be disappointed. Thanks NetGalley
Totally hilarious! Found myself literally laughing out loud at this book. I loved the characters. Definitely want to read what happens to supporting characters.
This was just what I expected: a fun and fast read!   This was an enjoyable piece of chick lit that moved quickly and was enjoyable.
Everything I was looking for!!

This is the first book I have read by Lucy Watson, and it appears this is her first book too.  Where have you been hiding? This book was fabulous! Between Emelia’s inner conversations, her and “hatred” of how Ben assumes she tricked his aunt into giving her part of the estate upon her death, how the two are forced to work together, their banter, and eventually their sizzling love, this story was a surprise and fun throughout.  Highly recommended!

I received an ARC of this book courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and given freely.
You know that old adage: never judge a book by it's cover? Well, in this case it rings true. Just because a book has a beautiful or hunky cover doesn't mean the actual story is worth anything more than poo poo on the sole of your shoe.

The song Roses by Outcast come to mind:

I know you'd like to think your shit don't stink
But lean a little bit closer
See that roses really smell like poo-poo-oo
Yeah, roses really smell like poo-poo-oo

In this case it does mean that Shortcake is everything you didn't know you needed to read and more. For one it is plain hilarious and for those of use who need a good laugh every once and while, it hit that spot and so much more. Two, the h and H are to die for. I mean there were so many awesome quotes in this book, it blew my mind.

Lucy Watson.

You.
Are.
Officially.
On.
My.
Radar.
NOW!

Witty banter and holy guacamole sexual tension does it for me in any novel, no matter the author. It also has enemies-to-lovers trope, again, which is my favorite! I am all for a good rom-com, which lately, albeit a few author, who I won't name cause you know who you are have actually had the comedy part in it.

This one totally has it all!

This book has been added to my OG faves.

So don't let the cover fool you into thinking that this book is garbage, cause it IS NOT! But with comedy there is always a undertone as well. It deals with death and a little angel named Rose, who has a unexpected chore for the our couple. When Emmy's friend unexpectedly passes, she leaves an unusual task for her and her grandson, Ben to complete or they will have to forfeit it all to Ben's father, who doesn't deserve anything!
These two can't stand each other at first. Arguing over every trivial thing. But them trying to out due each other was fantastic! FYI: the book is a bit of a slow burner. But you won't mind with the witty dialogue and these two dueling with each other.

I suggest you pick up Shortcake and have a good laugh!
This book was flipping fantastic. The author hit all the right notes when it came to the sass factor. Funny, witty, sexy, you name it and this book had it. The brilliance in this book will refresh your mind from the all the emotionally draining dramas.

This book is about two people worlds apart in personality thrown into unwelcome circumstances, who encroach each other's space, rub each other in the wrong-est way possible, get pathetically creative in pushing each other's buttons, then slowly and gradually glide towards romance.

The thing about enemies-to-lovers kinda plot is that I get a lot more than romance. Here, the animosity between the lead characters wasn’t just floating on the surface, it was bursting to battle out in the open. I loved the fact that even though I knew they are going to get together in the end (blah! It's a romance), the journey of getting there was more than entertaining. I liked that there wasn’t any unnecessary crisis. I cannot gush enough on how much I loved this book. There was never a dull moment. This one had me grinning like a lunatic the whole time. I was afraid my poor husband was going to twist his neck by the way he was constantly shaking his head at me.

If you’re looking for a book that will make you laugh out loud, insane dialogues, solid storyline, a douchy but Adonis-like guy, a quirky but likable heroine and sassy romance, then this is the one for you.
Enemies to Lover romance stories are my bread and butter. They're my favourites to read and Shortcake is no exception.

Fast paced, funny and exciting! Shortcake is a well written ball of fun that keeps on giving. Fans of The Hating Game will adore this read.

We follow Emma and Benjamin through the trials and tribulations of being live-in enemies and it is glorious. The tension between the pair is palpable and it's clear to see that something between them is brewing. There are some genuine laugh out loud moments in this gem that will leave you highly amused as a reader!

A really solid and enjoyable piece of work from Lucy Watson - my first of Lucy's work but definitely not my last!
This is a enemies to lovers romance... though the lovers part doesn't happen til late in the book. He thinks she conned his grandma for an inheritance and she thinks he's a jerk with a chip on his shoulder. Needless to say, neither gets along with the other and unfortunately they are forced to live together for a month. Lots of verbal sparring happens between them, and lots of childish antics as they each try to one-up the other. The book is written strictly from her POV. The majority of the book is her trying to be nice, with him throwing everything back in her face... hence all the immature shenanigans. The characters are fun, and despite his bad attitude towards her, they are lovable. The side characters bring in some additional laughs. There is a lot of humor (mostly in the form of her self-deprecating and some klutzy actions.) There are some tender-hearted moments as well, as we learn more about the secrets they each hold. And a little teary eyed moment too. Overall it's a fun story, as we watch them banter. It's a quick moving story that is easy to read. The only negative I had, was how long the 'hate' lasted between them before they finally became friends.

*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley.
Shortcake by Lucy Watson is my first book by this author, but it won't be my last.  I love this book!! This book made me laugh out loud several times, but it also proved to be emotional at times too.  This book really sucked me in, and I found myself wanting to hang out with Emelia, Ben and their fun friends.  Both Emelia and Ben have baggage and scars, but can they help each other heal?  I highly recommend this wonderful romantic comedy.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher. Thank you.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

Shortcake is a romantic comedy..  I honestly haven't read a lot of books in this genre, but I was pleasantly surprised with this book.        Lucy Watson has an unique writing style.    The comedy was on point.     The storyline was fun.
I can't wait to read more by Lucy Watson!
This book was so damn good! I read the whole thing in a sitting. Not only was it hilarious, it was the perfect slowburning, enemies to lovers book I've been searching for! I cannot wait to read more from this author. fantastic.
4 Flock of Love Stars

“Why does Ben look like he wants to kill you?” she whispers as we walk toward the stairs.
“This is just how he looks at me sometimes”

When I think about the most appropriate word for Emma and Benjamin’s relationship, one word comes to mind:

Complete and total trainwreck from the very beginning.

Both characters are damaged. Both characters aren’t expecting the best from people when they first meet them. But Rose had to know what she was doing when she left her estate to her beloved grandson, Benjamin, and her live in nurse and newest best friend, Emma. The idea of the two of them spending a month living in Rose’s house while they fix it up is ridiculous, given the fact that from the first moment he meets her, Ben basically torments the everloving crap out of Emma. Let the games begin!

First things first, let’s talk about the things I loved about Shortcake, because the list is long and detailed.

The writing is fantastic. I don’t tend to blow a whole lot of undeserved sunshine during the course of my reviews, but I can honestly say Lucy Watson gets me. Or, at least her kickass writing does. The story is told completely from Emma’s POV and while I could’ve used some strategically placed Ben observations, I came to truly adore the time I spent inside Emma’s head. She’s funny, self-deprecating and so heartbreakingly broken at times that I wanted to give her the hugest of virtual hugs and applaud her for keeping her head above water.

It’s not often I can say the little old ladies helped make the book a winner, but that’s most definitely the case here. There’s absolutely no way I can’t love a woman who chooses Staying Alive as her funeral song. I aspire to be you one day, Rose.

There wasn’t much I didn’t like about this book and for a while, I thought I had a 5 star read on my hands. Then the fighting, bitching and all ‘round bickering started. And it kept going. And going. And going. Ben really freaking resented Emma and there really wasn’t a spare moment he failed to let her know that. Eventually and after a whole lot of pain on Emma’s part, some softness stars to appear, but even then it’s fleeting. By the end, I was exhausted. Just fully worn out from the drama between these two. I still enjoyed the story and the writing in general, but at some point I just need a soft spot to land and I never felt I got that with this story.

I wasn’t lying when I said I loved Lucy Watson’s writing. I do and I’m already eagerly awaiting what she has in store for us next. I just hope the next book doesn’t drain me quite so much.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest, voluntary review
This book was sooooo good!! I loved it, every single bit. From the brooding alpha who struggles with the overwhelming emotions he’s feeling, to the feisty, spunky, caring heroine, and all the supporting characters in between. I didn’t want the book to end (though I of course wanted to find out what happens!). If you like romance, romcom, and some angst, this is a good pick for you! I would love to read stories about Ben’s friends.

Shortcake by Lucy Watson was absolutely hilarious! Romantic comedies are my favorite and Lucy Watson wrote a good one. I loved Amelia and I loved Ben. This was a great enemies-to-lovers romantic comedy. I definitely recommend it.
This was a new author to me and I must say I liked this story and didn't want it to end. I really liked it.
So good!  Shortcake made me giggle, and cry, and stay up too late.  Shortcake and Ben were wonderful characters, in fact they were all great. It was the perfect mix of funny and sweet and sexy. This is a new to me author but I'll be sure to look for more of her books from now on!