The Flower Arranger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The Flower Arranger is a really readable book. I enjoyed the inclusion of Japanese culture, it made it refreshing in comparison to other crime novels.

Another refreshing change is that it’s so easy to read. JJ Ellis creates a lovely flow of words that I found so easy to get on board with.

My only negative is that the characters had little depth. It may be a reflection of the Japanese politeness, but even internal thoughts were PC. Where’s the passion?

Overall it’s a nice story and I did enjoy uncovering the truth.

3/5
The premise of this book is enticing. It has a great storyline and the synopsis piqued my interest. When I got into reading the book though, there just wasn't much to keep me invested. At about 50% the way through the book, I found that nothing shocking had happened yet and I felt no attachment to any of the characters presented. At the very least I thought the chapters that seem to be from the murderer's point of view would keep me reading but at some point, I even felt the urge to skim those pieces as well. Due to the lack of momentum, I wasn't able to finish the book to find out what happens. (And even that's not really bothering me much.)
Overall a decent story that keeps you wanting to read. The two main characters have an interesting dynamic and their duo works well for the plot. The antagonist is creepy, in a good way but could have had more time devoted to him early on. If you like crime dramas this is for you.
Holly Blain wants to cover real news. The entertainment beat — pop stars and teen trends — was not why she moved to Tokyo. When she meets Inspector Tetsu Tanaka, head of Tokyo’s Metropolitan Police’s Gaikoku-jin unit, it might just be her big break.

Tanaka isn’t so sure. Always one to do things by the book, he’s hesitant about bringing this headstrong reporter into his carefully controlled investigation.
But young women keep disappearing and Tanaka is given no choice. He and Blain must trust each other if they are to stop a tormented killer from bringing his twisted plan to its shocking conclusion.

The Flower Arranger was my first literary trip to Japan. In addition to being a well-written thriller, I found myself immersed in the Japanese culture and wanting to do my own research to get a better picture of the places described in the book. I found it to be the perfect virtual vacation and summer read.

The story of Tanaka and Holly is your classic roving reporter-seasoned detective relationship. Holly, a British transplant trying to make it in the male-dominated field of Japanese journalism, has been given the pop-culture beat. An easy news cycle of filled with J-pop and fashion. Holly has no idea how this knowledge will later help solve the case that gives her her big break. Working with Tanaka, a hardened police detective with a deep past, they reluctantly combine forces to solve a string of grisly murders. Someone is kidnapping girls and posing them with intricate flower arrangements. Can Tanaka and Holly work together to save the last missing girl? Or has Holly gotten too close to the story?

The Flower Arranger was a welcome change from your typical thriller. Fast paced, and set in Japan, I would definitely recommend adding the Flower Arranger your TBR!
The Flower Arranger by author JJ Ellis was a good book. It had mystery and thrill as well as great characters! I would recommend it!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.
Holly Blain moved to Tokyo hoping she could move from reporting on fluff pieces to real news. Meeting Tetsu Tanaka, head of Tokyo’s Metropolitan police, seems to be a step on right direction. He’s not so sure, but a recent rash of kidnappings has left the city gripped by terror. In order to keep the women of Tokyo safe, Blain and Tanaka will need to team up. A new story highlights a major new talent