Stay

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Dec 2019

Stay by Catherine Ryan Hyde is a book that makes you confront yourself about how you treat people in your life, and how you treat yourself. Man this book hit me really hard. My favorite quote from the book was “ “Sometimes when a kids got nobody really running things in his life, he’ll decide to take over and take charge of everything. Otherwise the world just seems to be spinning out of control”. That resonates with me because that WAS me as a teen.

Read this book. You won’t regret it. I read it in about 2.5 hours.
The book started off good, but then it drifted. Disappointed because i was really looking forward in this one being good.
I really enjoyed this coming of age story. I felt the characters were real and I was engaged the whole time. I have ordered this book for the library and I am sure that many patrons will enjoy it.
Catherine Ryan Hyde does it again, writing an emotional, uplifting book about difficult topics.  Stay touches on thoughts of suicide, the Vietnam War,  family dynamics, addiction and life in a small town. The consequences  of things you do in your life will follow you throughout your life, but that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. While reading the book you will wish you could personally be in the story so you could have sweet Lucas, Conner and Zoe in your life. Hopefully we all have people like them in our lives to keep us going when we are down.  My favorite quote from the book is “If you think having and losing is so bad, try never having.” I totally believe that it is always better to have loved and lost than never to have loved.  I want to thank NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and Catherine Ryan Hyde for an ARC of Stay in exchange for an honest review. Honestly you don’t want to miss this well written,  uplifting book filled with characters you will remember long after your done reading. It will be out December 3, 2019.
A beautiful story written with heart and depth about 14 year old Lucas Painter’s coming of age during the summer of 1969.
While his parents fight loudly everyday, his dad coming home later and later at night, Lucas’ last letter from his brother in Vietnam has him seriously worried, thanks to it’s mostly being blacked out by censors. What was his brother trying to tell him?
Out in the woods walking one day to clear his mind, Lucas sees two dogs, they spot him and begin chasing him. He’s relieved that they’re not actually chasing him but are enjoying running with him (they belong to Zoe Dinsmore, a woman he soon rescues and befriends.) Lucas finds running with the two dogs, now daily, offers wonderful peace from his troubles. It tugged at my heartstrings reading of the heavy burdens Lucas carries. Family life is lonely with his parents arguing daily, his brother Roy finally returns home safe from Vietnam but different and with afflictions, his friend Connor is depressed and withdrawn, and he worries about his new older friend Zoe. A loner and an outcast in their community, she lives in the middle of the woods still mourning over an accident twenty years earlier she’s never forgiven herself for, feeling she’s to blame. After Zoe returns home from the hospital Lucas checks on her welfare during his daily runs. He eventually begins sharing his troubles with her and learns valuable life lessons through Zoe that helps his brother, friend, and even Zoe herself.
“Stay” is a powerful story of family, friendship, helping others, forgiveness and healing. Another compelling, thoughtful novel from author Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read and review this ARC.
"When somebody holds a view that seems to make no sense, know that it makes sense to them, but for reasons you don’t know anything about yet. And I guess in a lot of cases, you never will."
What an important lesson to learn and keep in mind!
It's hard to believe that a book taking on such heavy subjects as death & loss, addiction, war, depression, and family dysfunction would be such a feel good story but it is! These families are so real & the characters are so easy to become attached to.
I can't say if Lucas was right or wrong for the choices he made when he was 18 but his honesty and the way he held himself accountable was admirable. I loved every page from beginning to end & was so happy with the way it ended.
Like her previous offerings, Catherine Hyde White once again delivers a tale that is both heartwarming and touching without resorting to maudlin sentimentality.

STAY manages to charm readers with its tale of uncertain adolescence, family dysfunction and unusual friendships as it reveals the inner lives and struggles of Lucas Painter, his best friend Conner and local recluse Zoe Dinsmore.

This is an extraordinary and carefully layered portrait that gives readers something that only the best novels can offer…..a glimpse into what it means to be human, to overcome adversity and, finally, the effect each of our lives has upon those around us.

Told from Lucas’s perspective some fifty years after a fateful meeting that would change his life,this is a work of myriad magic and appeal by a writer of immeasurable talent who never fails to provide an unforgettable reading experience that transforms narrator and reader alike.

Recommended for those who loved William Kent Krueger’s Ordinary Grace.
This was such an amazing read that I couldn’t put it down. It went everywhere with me. To the doctors office, the dentist, the eye doctor. IT WENT ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. I was so sad when it ended that I immediately went and bought more books from this author!
I read this book in one day. It was a really interesting story. The characters are really well developed and emotionally work amazing together. The story starts out a bit dark and sad but eventually winds around to a really beautiful account of family and friendship that transcends the individual hurdles everyone must go through for mutual healing.
I was not the fight reader for this book. The writing was good and the characters were well developed but I just couldn't muster the interest in the story. It felt dull and nothing really happened.
Catherine Ryan Hyde continues to gift us  with books that stay with you long after the last page.  This is a gentle story of a 14 year old boys trying to navigate life back in 1969. Luke’s brother has left for Vietnam, and his buddy Connor is struggling in a stifling household trying to make sense out of life. Luke uses running in the woods as a method to think and cheat his head .  He encounters two large dogs on his run and realized they belong to a woman living by herself back in these woods..  His timing is such that he “saves” her life ..  that she has decided to end.  He introduces his friend to her and they form an unexpected alliance and relationship. You feel the deep emotions of each character and as with all her writings, marvel at the innate good in each. Everyone has something to offer and can affect and help others in ways quite unexpected. Exceptional! #netgalley #lakeunionpublishing
We don’t talk like that in my family, the more it matters, the more we don’t talk about it , but that lady , she’ll talk about anything “

This is the case in not only Lucas Painter’s house, but at his best friend Connor’s house as well.
These boys are 14 years old during the summer of 1969.  While their worlds are  changing, their parents don’t seem to get along with each other, Lucas has a brother fighting in the Vietnam War,  and Connor is depressed.
They meet Zoe, the town recluse and outcast .  She changes their life , by just talking with them
 This story was so beautifully written , in the way only Catherine Ryan Hyde can write.  With such tenderness and insight into such tough subjects as Depression, Divorce, Addiction, War ,Life and Death.  And what impacts we can make into someone’s life by just being in it.

I devoured this book , I couldn’t put it down and I was so invested in these characters.

Thank you to Catherine Ryan Hyde , Netgalley, and Lake Union Publishing’s for an advanced reading copy , my opinions are my own
Stay is a story about a man looking aback on his 14 year old self.  Burdened by his unhappy parents, a struggling friend, an older brother serving in Vietnam, and a lonely, outcast woman whom he comes to rely on, Lucas is thoughtful, helpful and best of all hopeful,  I was thoroughly engaged beginning to end.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This is a coming of age story of a 14-year-old boy, Lucas, in 1969. His brother is off to war, his parents are constantly fighting, and his best friend is severely depressed. After a chance discovery of an isolated cabin in the woods and the woman and her dogs that live there,  Lucas saves her life then decides to try and find a reason for her to want to stay.
I love this story of this loving boy who just wants to help the people in his life. The character Zoe, although in the beginning is standoffish and rude, becomes a wonderful friend and role model to both Lucas and his friend Connor,  then also eventually his brother Roy. Although the book deals with a lot of heavy topics, seen through the eyes of this happy and helpful boy, it comes off as happy and hopeful instead of depressing.  I love the books I've read by this author and I was so excited to get a chance to review Stay.
“Stay” by Catherine Ryan Hyde

A spellbinding read of friendship, family, and the inquisitiveness of a 14 year old boy.

Lucas Painter has a great deal on his mind and carries a lot of weight on his shoulders. His brother is in Vietnam, his parents scream and yell incessantly, his best friend is living in the dark and extreme solitude of his household and is afraid to leave his mother alone. To get away from “life,” Lucas goes for walks in the woods. A place his mother never wants him to go because she is afraid he will get lost. But it is a place of peace for Lucas. When he finds an isolated cabin one day, he also comes upon two big dogs. Lucas starts running and the dogs follow him. It is only after he accidentally trips that he realizes they are running with him not chasing him. Soon, it becomes a daily pattern for Lucas. He runs to the cabin, runs with the dogs throughout the forest and returns home. On one of these trips, Lucas is alerted there may be trouble. He does what he can to take care of the owner of the cabin and the dogs. Soon, he finds a friend in the woman who lives there and unconditional love from the dogs. As Lucas works his way through many issues over that summer, Zoe becomes a guide for him. She also finds a way to help Connor, Lucas’ friend, escape the darkness. When Lucas’ brother returns home, Lucas takes on more responsibility to ensure his brother heals and addresses his multiple issues. In the end, he ends up with better relationships with Connor, his brother and others and begins to set limits of what he finds acceptable and doable and what he does not.

“Stay” has multiple meanings for Lucas in regard to each person he relates to, yet it is also an overlapping concept for him. While Zoe tries to teach him to not to feel responsible for everyone and everything, Lucas has a hard time finding a way to that point during that year, but slowly does.

A novel that is crisp and sharp, yet doesn’t miss any aspect of detail, nuance, fluency or reality. It is a wonderful story with characters that are easily you or me or someone we know. It is a novel that once started is not one the reader will want to put down. A truly tremendous read.

Rating: 4.9
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

** I chose to read and review an advanced copy of this novel. All thoughts and opinions, as well
I just finished Stay, after staying up most of the night to read it.  This is most probably my favorite book of 2019!  It is beautifully, hauntingly written. The characters are complete and complex, and so very real. I feel like I was part of their lives. For me, Stay is a very complex coming-of-age novel. Complex because all the main characters transform their lives. The ending blew me away. It was perfect and totally unexpected.  This is a book that I want to share with friends and family. I think it would make a great book discussion read. Well done, Catherine Ryan Hyde!
I am a huge Catherine Ryan Hyde fan. Every one of her books I have read has been wonderful, including Stay. It takes place in 1969 when Lucas is 14 years old. He lives in an unhappy home, his brother is in Viet Nam, his best friend also has an unhappy home. Lucas  finds himself in the woods one day meets up with 2 dogs and stars running with them daily and then he meets their owner, Zoe. The book is the story of the summer of these 2 boys and this woman and how they come to help one another. The characters are likeable and the story is wonderful. I really enjoyed this book.
I'd never read anything by this author before so I didn't know what to expect. Now I will look out for her books!
Stay is the bittersweet story of Lucas Painter's coming of age in the summer of 1969.  Lucas Painter tells the story at some point later on in life, but we only find out how old he is in the final chapter.
Stay deals with difficult issues like marital discord and fighting, depression, abandonment, war, drug addiction, tragedy and the effect it has on people.  It could have been a very sad story to read, but it's told from the perspective of a man who seems to have made peace with life.
This is not a book to read in a hurry or if you're looking for a lot of action.  Stay invites you to reflect upon the meaning of life, the human condition and the importance of friendship and caring for each other.

I thoroughly recommend this book!

With thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC.
That's the second book I read from her and this was simply stunning. I wasn't expecting that ammount of sentiment, pain and grief. I just couldn't put it down plus I cried all the way through the end. The characters are so life-like, with all the qualities and flaws you can think of. It's so realistic in a way that hurts. Be aware of that addiction issues, depression and suicide are subjects of this book. Overall I loved this story very much and can't wait to read all Catherine's books
Stay dealt with some important, heavy topics that are as relevant today as they were in 1969, when the book takes place.  Catherine Ryan Hyde took these important topics and wove them into the story and throughout the development of the characters. The effect was a read that did not feel heavy but still left me contemplating things like mental health, family dynamics, the value of friendship, the importance of mentorship, and how one action can change the trajectory of multiple lives. I also love how the positive effect that animals can have on our mental health was part of the story.

Although there were no big wow moments or any extremely emotional & poignant moments I still really enjoyed this book. And maybe that is the point, pushing forward in every day life and learning how to love and support those around you in the best way you know how.

I would recommend Stay by Catherine Ryan Hyde.