Stay

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Dec 2019

I have loved all of Catherine Ryan Hydes books and this one was no exception. Such a wonderful book about friendships and families. I especially loved how she wrapped it all up at the end. Will definitely be adding this to our book club list.
Catherine Ryan Hyde is an author I can not get enough of. Her stories always tug and my emotions. Her words make me feel and think and this is why I read.  This newest novel was no different.  A teen in the late sixties with things on his mind. He walks and it is his walking that leads him to dogs and another soul with "issues".  This is a wonderful story that will leave the reader looking for more of her works.
In STAY, Hyde beautifully captures the unwitting burdens placed on children by adults.  The story follows Lucas Painter, an old-for-his age 12-year-old who discovers an old woman in the woods and saves her from death.  But now Lucas feels responsible for her and keeping her alive.  As their friendship flourishes, Lucas finds that Zoe Dinsmore is haunted by a tragedy or her own making and for which she cannot forgive herself.  But she listens to Lucas and to his friend, Connor, who is suffering from his own dysfunctional upbringing.  The three of them find power in friendship and discover that while the pain of life is everpresent, we can survive and flourish in spite of it.
This book was extremely well written and I loved the characters.  Luke has parents that are constantly arguing, a brother that's been drafted, and a best friend that might be suicidal.  He has no one to talk to about his issues and he needs help.  He starts running in the morning and meets a couple of dogs in the room that start running with him.  He becomes curious about their owner and finds her during an overdose.  I love that they are able to save each other and have such a huge impact on themselves and the life of others.  This is one of several books I have read from this author and she never disappoints.  I will definitely be recommending this book to others.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
Do not start a CRH book unless you want to spend the rest of the day or night with it. They are impossible to put down. After every one I read I always say this one is the best, and I am saying it again.  This one hit me straight in the heart for so many reasons. I would love to imagine a world where everyone was like the characters of her books. So many life lessons and so much to think about.  I will be highlighting a lot in a hard copy of this amazing book. Thank you Netgalley and Lake Union for the ARC
This story explored the relationship between one boy and the people he loved the most in his life. It was a story about not being afraid to save each other when we need help the most. I read this book in less than 24 hours, I could not put it down. I was given the chance to read an ARC in exchange for my honest review from #Netgalley. I would not hesitate
To recommend this book to anyone.
Thank you to Lake Union Publishing for providing me a copy of this book on NetGalley to read and review.

I wanted to like this book, I really, really did. It just had too many subplots and too many characters that seemed not to go anywhere. I really like other books by Catherine Ryan Hyde, but found this was a bit of a slog to get through. The epilogue also seemed to come out of left field and there just didn't seem to be a need for it, except to wrap up everything in a neat little bow.
Catherine Ryan Hyde is an amazing author and this book was  one of her best.  I devoured it in two days and was disappointed to see it end.   Her characters are so well developed that you feel like you know them and miss them when the last page is turned.   This is a book that stays with you long after the reading is done.
I love this Author's writing. This book really makes you feel. Lucas is 14 in 1969. He has a brother fighting in the Vietnam War and a best friend (also 14) with suicidal thoughts. He meets a recluse living with her dogs in a cabin in the woods. Do yourself a favour and read this book. It is absolutely fantastic. Thanks to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and the Author for allowing me to read and review this wonderful book.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book for an honest review.

This is a book about true friendship, loyalty ,healing and redemption. This is a well written book in the words of a 14 year old boy . The characters are believable and well crafted. Read this book you will not be disappointed.
I wasnt sure about this book.  I received an ARC from NetGalley but it wasnt my usual genre - mystery/thriller/psychological so I wasnt prepared for what I read.  The story starts with Lucas, a fourteen year old boy, who was very confused.  His home was unsettling with his parents fighting all the time and as a teenager he had loads of questions about life. And no one to talk to.

His best friend, Connor wasnt much help either - having an unstable mom and being depressed himself.  The story takes you through their friendship and relationship with Zoe, grandma-aged lady living in the woods who was responsible for the deaths of two children when the school bus she was driving veered off the road.

And from there the story took hold of me and wouldnt let go.  It hit home a bit because it also covers the time of the Vietnam War which Lucas' brother served in and I grew up in that era.  I found myself turning pages and reading every minute I could because the home life these boys had was what brought them to be closer and rely on each other for their well being.

Lucas' philosophy on life was amazing especially the book , in the second half, fast forwards 50 years and finds Lucas telling his stories to Connor's grandson.....who states "everyone dies in your story" to which Lucas replies:  "If you think having and losing is so bad, try never having."  So profound are the statements in this book.  A must read.  I was glad I read out of my usual genre.
This is a thought provoking, heart felt story that I loved!  Ten stars!!
 Lucas is a fourteen year old young man with a heart of gold. He longs to try to help anyone and everyone, and wishes that life would be perfect for all.
The time is the late 1960’s when the Vietnam War was in full blast. The world and life in general is in turmoil.
He is troubled by his best friend Connor, who seems to be depressed.  Can he help him?
 "You can’t make somebody leave and you can’t make them stay.” Can you?

Lucas saves, befriends and truly loves Zoe Dinsmore who will be  just what both need as their lives intersect.
 The quote: “Nothing in my life has ever been a mistake” is  the perfect description for Lucas. He is in exactly the “right” place at the required time.
Zoe is my favorite character and has guts,heart and a strength that I admire!
 However, Lucas is her angel at a time when desperately needed!

I am so grateful that the last piece of this story is a fast forward to present day.
It gave me the closure needed to say “ see you later” to each of these characters that I had spent a few days living with.
Definitely a book people should read! Excellent!
Summer, 1969
Lucas Painter, aged 14
Connor Barnes, also 14, Lucas Painter's best friend since they were three years old
Leroy "Roy" Painter, Lucas Painter's brother who's been at war in Viet Nam

This book is like coming back to a comfortable room to talk to an old friend. The narrative is like the voice of someone dear and familiar.

Lucas Painter is at that awkward age when things inevitably start to change in the lives of most people his age, but he knows the moment the biggest change happens in his life. It becomes that moment when he crosses the invisible line between what is and what will be.

Lucas happens upon a cabin in the woods near his home. The two big dogs who belong to the occupant of the cabin become his running buddies, and one of the first things Lucas learns is that he really loves running. He's good at it, and the dogs love running with him. The mystery of the occupant of the cabin becomes known to him over time.

Zoe Dinsmore has her burdens to bear and she does the best she can, on her own and with no help from the townsfolk. Slowly but surely, her layers get peeled back, though. We begin see her as a whole human woman, and not just the pieces the people of the town have assigned to her. Her friendship with Lucas seems to be just what they both need.

I love the way this story ties up loose ends and gives each character the knowledge of how their lives might have been different if not for the fact that each of them dared to step out of their comfort zones and say or do a thing that, while small, was huge in the lives of each the them.

I long ago ran out of superlatives to describe the books Catherine Ryan Hyde writes. There is no bottom to the depth and breadth of her stories and characters.
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book, I loved it the writing was brilliant and the characters so believable. I would definitely recommend this book.
Lucas and Connor are best friends, both fourteen years old. They live in a small town where've everyone knows each other. The Vietnam Ws raging on. Lucas' brother Roy was drafted. But when he is sent home early he is damaged both physically and emotionally.  One day, while in the woods Lucas finds a cabin and two large dogs.  Lucas begins to run regularly with the dogs.

Finally, he meets Zoe, the dog's owner, who is a recluse because of a tragic accident years ago. As Lucas gets to know Zoe he learns more about himself.  Connor gets to know Zoe as he deals depression.

This is a story of individuals who are struggling with their own demons.  They find strength love and support in each other.

The characters were beautiful, even though they were flawed.  This story is engaging and uplifting. It's a story of friendship, promise, and hope.

This is told from  Lucas' point of view as he reflects back on his life. This was a wonderful book.
Such a good read about brotherhood bonds and redemption. Lucas Painter is a 14 yr old boy who’s brother is fighting in Vietnam  and living with parents that do not get along, His best friend Conor lives next door and has his own set of problems. To escape his problems he escapes to the woods behind his home and discovers a small cabin and  two large dogs. Lucas starts daily runs with the dogs and meets the owner a woman . A friendship develops and the boy and the women help each other Navigate life’s complex problems. I have read several books by this Author, the latest “Just After Midnight”” which I recommend.
It’s 1969 and 14 yr old Lucas Painter is about to have his toughest summer yet.

His only sibling (his brother) is off fighting in the Vietnam war. Meanwhile he is fighting his own battle with parents that are constantly arguing and a best friend that just wants to be left alone. To add to the chaos he meets Zoe, the old lady in the woods.

I won’t go into much detail because it will give too much away. Lucas is determined to fix everything and everyone, even if it costs him his friends. Being wise beyond his years and learning to grow up fast Lucas has to make decisions that will affect not only himself but those around him. Lucas, Connor(his best friend), his brother Roy, and Zoe must learn to help each other before they can help themselves.

This book frequently talks about a very fragile subject that is impacting a lot of teenagers today, suicide. Trying to figure out if your life is worth fighting for.

I have read previous books by Catherine Ryan Hyde and this is by far my favorite. I was hooked from page one. The ending leaves you with plenty of emotions both happy and sad. The writing is beautifully done making me feel like I know the characters personally. I highly recommend this read!

Thank you to Netgalley, the author Catherine Ryan Hyde, and the publisher for giving me this digital copy of Stay in exchange for my honest review.
“Stay” is a well written book about decisions we make in youth and how they follow us through our life.  Friendship and family dynamics are at the heart of this story.  I would have loved to have more story in Part 2, after the characters have grown into adults. Overall a great read.
Ài received a digital Advance Reader Copy through NetGalley.

I connected with each character right away. This story is a raw one, but one of hope, too.
"We are all wounded human's."
Truth be told Stay is an emotional roller coaster that deals with pain like no other.
The Vietnam War is something those who served may never forget especially upon their returning to the states. For Roy it was an extremely difficult time one he'd rather not discuss openly yet one he'll never leave behind.
What happened to Roy during the war was sadly not uncommon however how he dealt with the aftermath may shock some.
With Zoe Dinsmore she was viewed in a light that was not becoming too her yet those who knew her knew differently. Could it all have been a simple accident?
Lucas is someone who has a giving heart, always wanting to help, always worried about others before self.
Could this be his downfall? What about the news that he's nothing more than a draft dodger? Do you think if he'd not been in the woods that day that there'd be a different outcome to this story and for Zoe?
Well what I can tell you is this, "Never Give Up." Nothings ever a mistake. Everything happens for a reason. Hardships like storms pass.
What a fab read! I hope you enjoy this work by Catherine Ryan Hyde!