Stalker

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Sep 2019

A debut novel by a very talented author Whom  will be following.So well written tense chilling dark.I was drawn right into the story.#netgalley #boldwoodbooks
This was a new author for me and even though it was dark and sometimes I was cringing I did enjoy the book, but it has some triggers you may think twice about it, but all that said it was well written and it did keep me on the edge of my seat. So we meet Eve who is brutally raped on her way to visit a friend. She unfortunately showers right after cleaning off all evidence before calling the cops and I know we are thinking noooo  but you can understand that at the time she wanted all traces removed, i felt for her. They aren't able to catch the person so upset she decides she is going to do it and get her revenge.
Stalker is the debut novel from new author Gemma Rogers.
It's one of those books that you can easily get lost in with a story that's easy to follow.
This book is told over different timelines and is based around Eve who has been the victim of a terrible sexual assault, we learn how she tries to deal with things in the aftermath and then that all she really wants is some sort of revenge, her attacker can not get away with what he did, but first of all Eve needs to find out who her attacker was.
This is a very cleverly written book for a debut, and I can certainly say I will look out for more books from this author in the future.
This was really good, well written, interesting, captivating, dark, disturbing...  I was into it from the start.
The kind you don't want to put down.  Keeps you turning the pages until the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Wow what a debut book by Gemma. I look forward to reading whatever book she writes next . It is a dark gritty read that grabs you from the start. Eve is attacked in broad daylight and it has a profound effect on her. Determined to find her attacker she starts to think of a way to find him and stop him once and for all. The way the book is written you are totally drawn into Eve’s life as she struggles to carry on after the awful attack. A fantastic read.
Stalker had me hooked right from the first chapter where we find out the main character is in Jail. Then we jump back in time a couple of months and find out a horrible incident occurred to the main character. How did the victim suddenly become the accused? In a Now and Then format the story slowly unfolds. It was am intense, fast paced captivating narrative. I could not put this one down. Gemma Rogers I applaud your courage for writing gritty thrillers because of the traumatic event that happened to you nearly twenty years ago.

Eve's life is completely shattered, ripped apart and turned upside down on the way to the train station one Sunday morning on her way to meet a friend. Jumped from behind Eve is brutally attacked and raped. Eve tries to get her life back on track but she has terrible functioning in the real world. Her anger building at the attacker whose still out there, at the police for not catching him. Eve then has work issues on top of everything else. Life and bills are becoming too much to handle. With the help of her flatmate Ben, she begins to regain confidence by going to a gym and buying a rape whistle. Eve has also taken it upon herself to find her rapist, since she doesn't believe the police have tried their best. Will Eve find her rapist? Will he get what he deserves? Will Eve go back to her old self and get a happy ending?
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

Stalker is about a victim seeking justice and revenge against her perpetrator. This book was well written with graphic details of the violence inflicted on the victim. The story was long winded at times but overall a good read.
Stalker was not what I expected, and I was unable to read this book. I found it disturbing, and I just couldn't read it after that. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
The rape scene in this story is brutal, the violation and loss of control implicit in every word. This description is harrowing. Given the inspiration for this story, the attack is realistic and sets the scene for what follows. This an adult story. One that will upset most people, but it doesn’t detract from it, or the message it is sending.

Eve’s attack and subsequent action is the main storyline, but running alongside her need for retribution is the need for closure to heal, and the need to stop this happening to anyone else. Eve is complex, but she is easy to empathise. You want her to have justice.

Including the friend and lodger characters, may seem incidental to the story, but they are important. Eve’s reaction to them shows how emotionally scarred and traumatised she is, and why she does what she does. They are an important focus for her mental state.

The plot is chilling and suspenseful, and whether or not you agree with the outcome, or what happens before, the ending is well thought out and believable. A fusion of the psychological thriller and crime genres, with authentic emotion and a menacing antagonist, and an ending that leaves you with a moral dilemma. Perfect.

I received a copy of this book from Boldwood Books via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

This story is about Eve, a woman who was brutally assaulted.  She was raped in broad daylight and when she was en route to meet a friend.  She vows to get revenge on the man who assaulted her. The police can't find no trace of him.  She had went in the shower before contacting them. Eve decides to start her own investigation. She wants him caught before he wrecks anyone else's life.

*WARNING* The rape scene is very graphic.
This is quite an enjoyable read but the subject matter won't be for everyone. Emotions are high with anger and frustration. The chapters kept jumping from character to character with nothing obvious to tell us we were now reading about someone else. Does she find her assailant? You will need to read this book to find out.  Over all, a decent read.

I would like to thank Netgalley,  Boldworld Books and the author Gemma Rogers for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Does a book get better by jumping around in time instead of following a chronological order? For me the answer is no, I don't like it.
This book deals with serious issues, and one I do know something about is the lack of the right to self defense in Britain and many other countries.
What I don't understand in the book are the following: After an attack, isn't it easier to call the police and get help? And if you want revenge, why make it so complicated?
I'm sure many will like this book, but for me it's too messy.
Wow, for a debut novel - this book was amazing!

I was literally hooked right from the beginning and genuinely couldn’t put this book down, it has all the ingredients for a gripping thriller,

The book is centred around Eve, who is pretty stable in life - work, house etc until she is randomly and sexually attacked one morning on the way to meet a friend. After the attack Eve’s life is turned upside down and gradually things start to take a downward spiral, she looses her job, runs up debts and manages to get into a complicated type of relationship with her lodger. The plot goes on to explore how Eve fights back against what happened to her, not only was she attacked bit other young women also become victims of the same violent monster.
The book is so well written that you feel that you are on the journey with eve with getting her revenge on her attacker.

Would highly recommend this book and will be following this author for future books.
The story of a woman raped on a Sunday morning, who was supposed, according to the book blurb, would get revenge on the beast who did this to her, and doubtless other women! It is the story of her life coming to a depressing end with her boyfriend; and her healing process. I would have preferred the blurb be truthful about what was going on; I did not find it nail-biting, I was not on the edge of my seat, it was good toward the end. The book needs to be correctly identified, so the reader knows what to look for, and not an untruthful hype, leaving the reader unhappy with the results.
Thank you Netgalley!
carolintallahassee.com
This is a story about a women, Eve, who is sexually assaulted on the way to meet up with a friend. The trials she goes through to regain her life. How she sets out to get revenge on the one who assulted her. Support comes from a unexpected direction. It keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I read this book as an arc from NetGalley. I gave it 5 stars
A tense thriller.
A new author .
The whole Sunday is attacked for Eva  and she has to get the atrocity that effects her and no body else
I’d like to thank Boldwood Books and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Stalker’ by Gemma Rogers in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

Eve Harding is late to meet her friend Jane and takes a short cut through Grove Park in South London.  A man dressed in a balaclava grabs Eve from behind and indecently assaults her and although she reports it to the police they’re unable to find who was responsible.  Eve realises she can’t rely on the police to catch him and decides to take matters into her own hands.

‘Stalker’ is a brilliantly written debut novel from a new author who’s written an exciting and gripping thriller.  The story is told mainly by Eve and the chapters move from when she was attacked on the 24th September 2017 to her experiences at the present time.  I was completely absorbed with the story and the characters who came over as believable and as I wasn’t sure how it was going to end I had to keep reading to find out.   When I reached the last chapters the conclusion was totally unexpected but oh so fitting and I was able to let out a breath of relief.  This is an excellent novel and one I can thoroughly recommend and I can’t wait for Gemma Rogers’ next one.
3.5 star read

After Eve is raped in an alley in broad daylight on a trip out to meet a friend, she heals and vows to take down the man who assaulted her and she believes has assaulted other women.

I love a good revenge story, but this didn’t quite live up to what I was expecting. It was mostly about Eve healing after being raped. Which could have been a good story on its own, but the title and description made it sound like it was more than that. I wanted to read a book about a woman who healed and then became a tough, revenge bound beast in hopes of taking down an evil man. While Eve does go after her rapist, she seems unsure throughout the entire story.

And the side characters were pointless. Jane, her best friend, is barely mentioned other than a few catch up phone calls. And Ben, her roommate, well, I don’t know what was going on there. He seemed like a good strong character in the beginning. There for her when she needed comfort and then pushing her toward healing when he sensed it was time to move forward, but when she wasn’t completely healed in 2 months time, he gave up on her, ignored her, and started dating another woman. It was just unnecessary drama, especially with the other woman.

I think this one could have benefitted by being significantly shorter. However, I enjoyed most of the lead up and couldn’t wait to see what happened next, it just fell a little flat in the end for me.
STALKER by Gemma Rogers is a well-written and gritty psychological thriller.  The story takes place in London and starts with our protagonist Eve Harding being assaulted and raped while walking to a train station. The police are unable to find her attacker so Eve seeks to find him herself and get her revenge.

This is one of those books where it is hard to know who is the cat and who is the mouse. The atmosphere is palpable. The emotions seem real with hurt, anger, frustration, a feeling of helplessness, and then a need for retribution.

The novel does skip backward and forward in time and personally, I would have liked a straight timeline, but Rogers did a great job with this format as well as switching between Eve, the attacker, and the police at various times.  The chapters are well labeled so the reader does not have to guess as to when events are occurring.
Does Eve find her assailant? Does she get her revenge? Or does the attacker determine who she is and come after her again? Will Eve find happiness, prison or death?

I highly recommend this book to those that enjoy psychological thrillers, but bear in mind that the attack is depicted in strong detail. I believe this is an author to watch and I look forward to her next book.

Many thanks to Boldwood Books, Gemma Rogers and Net Galley for a digital ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. Opinions are mine alone and are not biased in any way.
A good fast paced read. Eve is seeking revenge after being attacked. There is a lot to her story as she tries to cope with what has happened.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
How can you resist a book that’s titled Stalker? This novel by Gemma Rogers starts with the rape of Eve Harding.  Who raped her? Eve is on a mission to find out when the police can’t help her.

Tightly written and emotional, this is an intense book, one that is gripping and addictive. What I’m saying is, clear your calendar and make time to read this from beginning to end because you won’t be able to put it down!

Eve Harding’s world implodes one Sunday morning when she is violently assaulted and raped walking to a South London train station. As her attacker evades the Police and is left to roam the streets to stalk his next victim, Eve is forced to seek out her assailant before he strikes again. With vengeance in mind, Eve is determined to find him in time and deliver justice on her own terms. In a game of cat and mouse, who is stalking who?

A classic game of cat-and-mouse that left me with a bit of anxiety! In the best way possible of course.

Due out on September 10.