Quentin Tarantino

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Sep 2019

I like Tarantino,  and this book is really embracing his art and talking not only about his amazing writing but also about his influences and inspiration. Loved it! Especially because it's full of things I did not know about him!
My thanks to Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing for an temporary digital edition of ‘Quentin Tarantino: The iconic filmmaker and his work’ by Ian Nathan in exchange for an honest review.

This is a brilliant photographic biography of Tarantino written by Ian Nathan, a noted British film journalist and author. It is full of fascinating and insightful information about Tarantino and his films, including the many influences that have informed his work.

It is told in chronological order film by film, including his screenplays, and is packed with photographs from behind the scenes, film stills and posters, etc.

In order to review I read it in a couple of sittings though I would think it a perfect book to dip into or to keep close by while (re)watching QT’s films. After reading I wanted to revisit them despite multiple past viewings.

A must have for Tarantino fans and for film lovers in general. I have popped the physical edition on my wish list.

It would make a perfect gift for film buffs.
You don’t have to like Quentin Tarantino or love any of his movies to enjoy this book. If you love movies and how they come to be made you’ll appreciate this insight into the career of this talented film maker.
A book full of pictures with a clear and concise commentary on the beginnings of Tarantino’s inspiration and early work. Then each film is detailed in terms of motivation, ideas and cast issues. It is clear he never sold his soul to Hollywood, neither did he conform to their model or financial considerations.
A rare talent who regardless of whether embraced or embarrassing, congratulated or criticised and dismissed Tarantino is a force and a real fan of cinema. Worth reading, purely for its use of photographs but also in my opinion the text is informative, balanced and entertaining. Furthermore as it speaks about each film individually in its concepts, cast and collaborations it gives some sense into how movies are made, from script to screen, studio pressures and casting values.
I was thoroughly entertained by this book and for those films I had previously watched gained deeper clarity and appreciation. I was also pleased to read of the tension in his work, criticism not just film critics paid for opinions. I liked the fact others defended him and I hope this openness while allow others to come to the work with fresh eyes.
This is a must for those who love their cinema and appreciate small details that enrich the viewing experience better. Whether it is the choice of voices, care in location or trouble to bring coldness to a scene.
I want to thank NetGalley for a free eBook for my true and honest opinion.

This is perfect for Quentin Tarantino fans! I feel that only those who truly love his work would appreciate this book and enjoy it.

Through in-depth and informative text written by renowned film journalist Ian Nathan, this book examines the entirety of Tarantino's work, including his early writing on screenplays such as True Romance and Natural Born Killers, his break-out directorial debut Reservoir Dogs and the career-defining Pulp Fiction, as well as his later iconic films, such as Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained. You also get behind the scene access to his new film  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Quentin Tarantino is a brilliant film maker. He truly understands films and he loves it, which shows in his work. I love the Easter Eggs to homages to classic or contemporary cinema to self-referential nods to his own films.

Definitely recommend.

Overall 4 stars
I have been a fan of Quentin Tarantino for over 20 years (Kill Bill: Vol 1 is my favourite film as an adult), and I learned a great deal from this book. I was too young to see his first films at release and missed out on most of the controversy surrounding his work, but was pleased to revisit just how revolutionary QT has been for the film industry.

I do feel this a book for real fans and not just those with a passing interest, as there felt like a number of references to events and people I just didn’t get, making some of the early story quite hard to keep up with, but I loved the behind the scenes photos and insights into the films.

There could have been more discussion about his controversy; Uma’s near death experience during Vol 2 being blamed solely on QT, Margot Robbie’s lack of dialogue in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for example, which I felt was skimmed over quickly (Harvey Weinstein got more of a critique), but overall, a wonderful retrospective of some remarkable films

I was given access to this book pre-release via Net Galley in exchange for my honest feedback
Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Hateful Eight... everyone has seen these movies (or at least some of them I hope).

Filled with photographs capturing some of the iconic movie scenes and also some shots from behind the scenes, this book is a great addition to Tarantino's fans' bookshelves. It provides an intimate insight into Tarantino's background, his beginnings and inspiration for each of his movies including his latest - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (not my favourite of his movies but still worth seeing).
Pretty neat chronological history of Tarantino and his life while rising to stardom. Very visually stunning, laid out well with great photos and cinema artwork. Great coffee table book for a fan.
As a massive fan of Tarantino I was excited to see this new book about him and his films. A very detailed, interesting book taking the reader from the first to the last film, discussing the actors and his uniqueness. Great photos to illustrate and an altogether great read,
Quentin Tarantino: The Iconic Filmmaker and His Work from Ian Nathan is a very good overview of QT's career up to and including Once Upon A Time....

For the Tarantino fan the biggest selling point for this book is the layout and the number of both iconic and less common pictures. Tarantino is such a visual director that even more in-depth or academic books need plenty of photographs. A book like this, aimed at popular readership, demands large full color pictures and a dynamic look. Nathan delivers on this quite well.

The text is also a positive for a book of this sort. It is not just gossip and innuendo, in fact, what gossip that is brought up generally is to help illustrate a phase in Tarantino's development as a filmmaker rather than just to share gossip. Like Tarantino himself, getting the story of his life and career can be like putting a puzzle together. What he or an associate might say at one time will often be contradicted or modified at another time. What Nathan does for the casual fan of Tarantino's is to take all these pieces and form them into a relatively coherent narrative. So while there is little new information here, if any, there is a very welcome uncluttering of that information. Plus his is simply an interesting story to read, even if it isn't all new and different.

Definitely recommended for both casual and serious fans of Tarantino, as well as those who might have shied away from his work because they think they might be offended (this at least shows that an intent to offend isn't really there to speak of, though it isn't exactly avoided either). I think that Nathan's writing is informative enough that it will also be a welcome addition for students of film as long as they remember that any analysis here is secondary to the book's purpose. I admit, I probably would not have carried this into one of my film classes when I was in school, but I would probably have mentioned it if something in it fit into a class discussion. I will say that my rating is based on it doing what it set out to do very well as compared to rating it based on some book it never pretends to be.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
Absolutely loved this book!  I will certainly be buying it when it is published for my husband who loves his movies.  The pictures and movie posters were great!  Really liked how it was split up by each of his movies and the "inside"/ behind the scenes information.
I wouldn't call me a SUPER Tarantino fan, but reading this made me realize I HAVE seen almost all of his movies (except the new one).  This is primarily a picture book, with stills from all the films, behind the scene photos and then short written 'appreciations' and some on set gossip.  It isn't terribly erudite or in depth film criticism, per se, but is more geared towards the fan boy/girl.   And for that, it's very well done.  Fun to remind you of all T's films.
Ian Nathan offers an insightful look into one of the notable (and controversial) directors in the past two decades. This was a well-written and organized text.
Listen, I'm also a Tarantino fangirl, I think the man's a genius and needs to be applauded and celebrated and all that, but the first half of this book is just way, way too much (and would probably make the master himself cringe): Nathan bombards the reader with cascades of celebatory adjectives, maximum praise and superlatives - and then some more superlatives. All of this stands as fluffy word material between an admittedly fun collection of photographs, film stills and movie posters, and while the text contains some interesting anecdotes and quotes, the content remains superficial.

At some point, the tone slightly changes and becomes a little more held back, which does the book good. Nathan tackles all of Tarantino's movies and screenplays, which could make for a fascinating panorama, but as this is a short book, there is not much depth (or structure) to the analysis. I also became suspicious of the quality of the information given - e.g., Nathan maintains that the storyline and name of Django's wife Broomhilda is a nod to the Brothers Grimm, when it is of course a reference to The Nibelungenlied, a fact Dr. King Schultz, the dentist-turned-bounty-hunter from Düsseldorf am Rhein, even explains in the movie.

Maybe I went into this with wrong expectations though: This is more of a coffee table book, and it's fun to look at, but does not offer substantial insights.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Get to know the cult filmmaker of our generation. Packed with stunning pictures from the Kobal archives, this biography explores the genesis of Tarantino's unique directorial style and provides insight into his inspirations and his frequent collaborations with favoured actors.

Through in-depth and informative text written by renowned film journalist Ian Nathan, this book examines the entirety of Tarantino's work, including his early writing on screenplays such as True Romance and Natural Born Killers, his break-out directorial debut Reservoir Dogs and the career-defining Pulp Fiction, as well as his later iconic films, such as Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained. You'll also go behind the scenes of Tarantino's latest epic, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. As you make your way through Tarantino's incredible career, discover what inspired him, his working methods and the breadth of his talent.

With a visually arresting design that mimics Tarantino's approach to film-making and chapters organized by each film, the pages are brimming with images taken on set and behind the scenes.

This is the ultimate celebration for any Tarantino fan.

QT is a seriously BIZARRE genius - an utter genius whose films deserve 3-4 repeated viewings as there are so many layers to them. I just bought our tickets for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" so I loved reading about that movie - would it have not made sense for the book to come out the same time that movie did? This book is wonderfully presented as there is a lot of facts but at no time is it dry or boring. This is the ultimate gift for any QT fan - but at $35USD/$49CAD it is deathly expensive for a190 or so page book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it ⌚⌚⌚⌚ (Pulp FIctions fans will "get" the watch!)
I once burned up dinner while cooking, loathe to miss the last 10 minutes on my iPad of Inglourious Basterds, a marvel of a Tarantino movie. So I HAD to read this glorious bio of the cult director by esteemed film journalist Ian Nathan.

Tarantino’s weirdness isn’t for everyone, but if you’re into him, this bio is for you. It covers his entire oeuvre including screenplays and films, directorial style and inspirations, fave actors and collaborations — filled with amazing photos in a design that is sheer Tarantino. Even features the behind the scenes of his latest, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that just took Cannes by storm. Highly recommended!

Pub Date 01 Oct 2019.

Thanks to Ian Nathan, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#QuentinTarantino #NetGalley
This is a must-have book for QT. Not only does it look at his entire back catalogue as a writer, producer and director this one stop book looks at the inspirations and connections between his work and the world of cinema.