Living with Coco Chanel

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Sep 2019

This is one of my favourite series: exploring the artist but also how the places where she lived influenced her. Great pictures too!
I love to read about Chanel,although she was a collaborator, and this book is no exception. It describes Chanel's life and how the places where she lived and her lovers influenced her fashion designs in intricate detail, with interesting quotes and anecdotes. The main influence on Chanel was the stark convent high in the hills where she was sent as a teenager, with its mosaic floors and simple patterns. She loved black, white and beige, the colours of the convent, and often designed black and white dresses, influenced by the nun's habits.

However, some of her lovers were aristocratic Englishmen, who also inspired her designs. For example, the Duke of Westminster took her to Scotland where she learned how to incorporate tweed and boucle material into her designs. Boy Capel took her sailing and she designed clothes influenced by the world of sailing. She used to go hunting, and she also played golf and tennis with her aristocratic friends and soon realized that modern working women wanted fashionable, but comfortable clothes so that they could move easily.

I recommend this book for anyone interested in Chanel.
A very interesting biography of Gabrielle Chanel, a pioneer in her field.
If you want to know more about her life,this book is perfect!Full of drawings,archive imagery and shots of Gabrielle herself, the pages transport the reader from the convent where she initially lived to the streets of Paris.

Really enjoyed reading how Chanel reached the success and how she became such an inconic woman.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
If you have ever wanted to read an elaborate list of all the various places and apartments that Coco Chanel has lived in, then this is your book. On one hand, I expected it to have a lot more pictures and when I realised it was a quasi-biography, it was a bit disappointing. On the other hand,  I was disappointed by the lack of actual biography when I realised that it is really just a glorified list of apartments and houses that Chanel had ever stayed in for at least 3 days. Going back and reading the description, I realise now that I wasn't really promised anything more, but it made for a bit of a disappointing experience. I have never found any designer particularly riveting enough to read a biography on, so this was a step outside of my normal reading habits to begin with. And I don't usually read biographies in general, but it wasn't entirely that interesting. Coco Chanel had a wild life, and I felt a bit bored during this one, which shouldn't have been my experience. I mean, it wasn't entirely awful, and I did finish it (which I am not always going to do if I don't feel a book), but I think if you want to know more about her life, reading her Wikipedia page would probably suffice.
Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel was one of the most influential and ground-breaking fashion designers of the twentieth century. This beautifully illustrated biography tells her remarkable story in a unique and accessible way, examining how the homes and landscapes of her life relate to her work.
From her childhood at the convent at Aubazine to her boutique and apartment on Rue Cambon in Paris and her villa, La Pausa, on the French Riveria, Chanel’s style was inspired and influenced by her environment. Emerging at a time that allowed women to be more independent, she designed clothes that let them be free. As she found fame, love and success, she used the memories of her past, and the way that she lived, to forge her own independence.
Featuring designs, drawings, archive imagery and contemporary photography, Living with Coco Chanel provides a fascinating insight into Chanel’s life, work and legacy.

I had a great time reading this book and now I am looking forward to reading more books by the same author. Many many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me access to this eARC.
Great book. Full of information and pictures I hadn’t seen previously. I’m sure this is one I will return to to browse through again.
Viel persönliches rund um die Kultfigur der Mode mit ganz zauberhaften Fotos und vielen unbekannten Details.
Nicht nur für Fans geeignet.
Lovely informative book about Coco Chanel a trip through her world photos sketches a really eye opening look at the real Coco Chanel. #netgalkey#quarto
Coco Chanel is one of my favorite designers so I really enjoyed reading about her life and what inspired her.  She was at the top of her game then and even after all these years her brand is still one of the best known in the world.  This book was well written and well researched. I would recommend it to anyone who has a interest in fashion.

Thank you Net Galley for this ARC for an honest review.
A fascinating look at a personality that, in all honesty, I was not very familiar with before reading. Informative and thoughtful.
Simply fascinating! Highlights the life of an icon and shows the beauty that had always lay within her. Stunning photographs, beautiful descriptions make this a must read for any fashionista or a fan of the brand itself. 5/5 stars for a new iconic masterpiece.
Living with Coco Chanel by Caroline Young is a great reference for anything and everything about this intriguing  woman.
Love her or dislike her, she was a genius in her own right, despite her flaws. One has to give her props for never taking a back seat in the drive of her life.
This is a fascinating read, and I learned quite a few more things about this complex woman. The author clearly has done her research.

4/5 stars

Thank you NetGalley and White Lion Publishing for this ARC and in return I am submitting my unbiased and voluntary review and opinion.
This intriguing bio provides a unique look at famed fashion designer Coco Chanel by focusing on place as context for her creations.

She of the classic suits with pearls aswirl was greatly impacted by the homes and landscapes of her life, including the Aubazine convent of her childhood (think of her demure jacket necklines), to her Parisian appartement and boutique on Rue Cambon, as well as her villa, La Pausa, on the French Riviera.

Fully illustrated with drawings, designs, contemporary photos, and archival images that bring Coco’s storied background to life. 5/5

Pub Date 03 Sep 2019.

Thanks to Caroline Young, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#LivingWithCocoChanel #NetGalley