Portrait of an Artist: Vincent van Gogh

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Sep 2019

A great way to introduce kids to art and artists. I especially liked that they did not shy away from presenting his death. The illustrations are amazing too.
When my kid started showing interest in art I was very excited to introduce some art history in her learning. With chapter books being a little too much for a child of three, I was glad to find this book which bridged the gap between words and art.

It is a perfect book illustrated in Van Gogh style that is a keeper in every which way.
I no longer have this picture book.  I have inadvertently deleted the files when trying to download some more ebooks on my kindle.
Beautiful but concerning language to be a book for children. It seems to acknowledge that Van Gogh was mentally unwell but paints his suicide too quaintly and okay for him to not deal with his 'sickness' anymore.
First of all, I love artists’ biographies written for children with rich and colorful illustrations. When I saw this book,  it became an absolutely “must read” and I enjoyed it very much. It portrays the great artist as an ordinary person with his own flaws, his ups and downs. The book has excellent pictures and age appropriate language. I recommend it for all children discovering art.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for the kindly provided ARC. All opinions are mine.
I thought that this was a  beautifully illustrated book which tells the tragically short life of Vincent Van Gogh, one of the most loved and well-known artists in the world.

I love books of this nature and I learnt more about him too and I will admit that after I finished the book I was off on Google finding out more - even as an adult I was intrigued and inspired to go off and find out more.

Despite having a very troubled life and a tragic death at a young age, Van Gogh produced thousands of fascinating works of art, many of which are very well know and his legacy is so important, it is essential to tell his story to new generations, and I loved sharing this one with my daughter.

The illustrator has done a stunning job with the book and it is definitely 5 stars from me - very highly recommended!
Much like the picture book on Frida Kahlo, the artwork in this book is gorgeous. I love the way van Gogh's art is incorporated into the colourful visual narrative. His story is a sad one of course & though the words are simple, I read the end with a lump in my throat. Suicide is not mentioned at all & I thought the ending was handled well. In the case of questions, parents/caregivers can decide how much to share with the child who's reading this.
Portrati of an Artist: Vincent van Gogh is a brief biography of the artista, set up for children, to which they can learn some of the most important details about his work, but also about his life.

Considering how Van Gogh’s life was and that this version is for a children’s audience, I think it’s ok and even justified the way it’s written. Lucy Brownridge presents the artist as a melancholy, always looking for attention and of his brother approval, rather than a mentally ill person.

He tells us in a brief and easy to understand text, who he was, how and where he lived and the evolution of his work. What inspired him to paint or what his worries and obsessions were.

I liked the drawings that accompany the text. They are related to the artist’s work but I can feel like something’s missing. They don’t convey me as much energy as the book of this same collection dedicated to Frida Kahlo, although in both the idea is the same.
But having said that, I think the book serves its purpose.
This is a great biography about Vincent van Gogh for children. I really loved the illustrations in the book.
Portrait of an Artist tells the story of Vincent van Gogh’s life. The story begins when Vincent is a young man and shares his story until his death in a totally endearing and kid appropriate way.

The art in this book is absolutely beautiful. The story telling is excellent. I feel like this is something Vincent would be really proud of.

Loved: The addition of van Gogh’s actual paintings mixed into the illustration is something that I found annoying at first, but they totally grew on me. Also, the careful way the later part of his life is covered is very respectful and kid-friendly.

Disliked: I disliked nothing.

I would totally gift/recommend this book for any child or anyone who loves Van Gogh or appreciates art.

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest opinion.
#read #vangogh #netgalley #childrens
This book was a short summary of the events in Vincent's life together with his paintings in each page.

However, compared to Frida's version, the artstyle here was really cute but wasn't filled. There's many white spaces in between and the paintings of Vincent's was just pasted rather than being part of the art in some pages.

Overall, it's still cute and was a good read. I'm not sure what to say about the last page since I read a review mentioning that it's romanticizing his suicide (which I'm not very sure since I watched the BuzzFeed episode about him 😅)

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy for an honest review.
This is a great addition to any child's bookshelf! The book is not just about Vincent Van Gogh's life. It also speaks of resilience and following your passion.
He was the first artist I introduced to my son. And although I was familiar with his life, I still learned something new from reading this book. I like the interesting approach of presenting his illness to young readers.
I enjoy the display of his paintings throughout the book's pages. The drawings are similar to his style, making it easier for the child to identify the artist.
Thank you to Net Galley and Wide Eyed Editions for providing me with an e-book copy in exchange for my honest review!
Thanks Net Galley for the preview!

I really like this non-fiction children's book! I gained a lot of good info about Van Gogh and am excited to share with my students.  My constant hesitation with reviewing these types of books is being unable to do a read aloud with the students.
Loved, loved, loved this illustration edition about van Gogh's life. I recently saw his art at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston and ever since I have been reading as much as I can about this complex and talented man.

Whether you love art, or history, or just casually interested, this is a great book to read about his life. It is safe for children and doesn't talk about the nasty parts of his life, but adults will definitely know what the author is talking about.

I highly recommend and can't wait to pick up my own copy of this book!
I really like the art of Vincent van Gogh and "The starry night" is my favorite painting ever. I almost cried that time I had a chance to see it for myself at an art exhibition. So, it's not really a surprise that I decided to read and review this book.

What I liked the most are definitely the drawings. They are really "Van-Gogh-ish". But in the end, I missed something. It's still great, but I think that Frida Kahlo book is done slightly better than this one.
Portrait Of An Artist Vincent Van Gogh is a beautiful illustrated and informative book!   We study artist throughout the year in our home as we homeschool.  This a wonderful addition to our library.  The illustrations are very similar that of the hand of Van Gogh himself.  With the colors and details, this book be explored may times.
I love this concept. It's an easy to read children's book with exciting pictures of Vincent Von Gogh that stay true to his art. Every classroom in America should have this book. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

Rating 4.5
Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – Wide Eyed Editions for an early copy of Portrait of an Artist: Vincent van Gogh by Lucy Brownridge.  This is the second book in this series that I have read and I cannot wait to read the other books in the series.  This one, like the one on Frida Kahlo, was very colorful and done in the style of van Gogh.  This book tells the story of van Gogh’s life, including him becoming a priest in Belgium, which was something I never knew about him.  As with the Kahlo book, I would recommend this for children who like biographies, art, or just learning about new things.
I've really been enjoying all these books that tell us about the lives of famous people and Portrait of an Artist: Vincent van Gogh by Lucy Brownridge was another great hit. I'm impressed by how well Brownridge describes depression and the manner of van Gogh's death in a manner that is appropriate for young children. As always, the illustrations are great too and I like how his paintings are strewn throughout the book as well as that there are some explanations for some of his paintings in the back of the book.
My oldest son really likes books about art and has actually carried around a small Van Gogh book since he was a baby. I was excited for him to get a chance to learn more about Van Gogh as a person and I actually ended up refreshing my knowledge of Van Gogh as well. My son loved this book and he especially loved finding the paintings that he recognized sprinkled throughout the book. I appreciate that Van Gogh’s mental health and suicide were handled in a very gentle way that is child-appropriate by not getting into too many specifics. It would be a great book for kids who want to learn more about art or artists, or even as an introduction to the world of fine art.