Cover Image: Truth Hurts

Truth Hurts

Brilliant characters with an incredible depth and creates a suspense you don’t expect. Drew remains fairly mysterious through, which adds to the tension and dipping back into the past as you learn more is both well written and insightful. Sometimes this can distract from the plot but in this I felt it worked really well. I liked that it was almost impossible to predict and kept me guessing right to the end!
Poppy is fired from her job as a nanny and is stranded in Ibiza. Drowning her sorrows at a bar she meets an older man who just so happens to be wealthy and handsome.
They have a whirlwind romance and are married within a month of meeting.

One of the conditions of the marriage is they won’t ask each other about their past and will just focus on the present and the future. Annoyingly, Poppy doesn’t really question Drew’s motives and just happily goes along with whatever he suggests.

They move to a big house on the outskirts of the village and once the villagers realise where they live they behave very coldly towards them. Drew fobs Poppy off with an excuse which she accepts. If it was me I would be querying why the villagers were behaving like that and would guess something had happened at the house in the past. She doesn’t think to google anything about the house or find out more.

The chapters are quite short and the story alternates between the present day and Poppy’s past. Some parts I had worked out already and found quite predictable. Some of it I did think was a bit far fetched but it is a work of fiction.

The story makes you want to find out what happens but I didn’t find anything particularly shocking as it was easy to work out. The story plods along but it isn’t fast paced and nothing major really happens until the last couple of chapters.

I was disappointed with the end as it seemed to have been rushed and crammed in to the last couple of chapters. It wasn’t that plausible or well developed enough for me.

It’s an easy read and I would recommend it as a holiday read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for an advance copy of this book.
This was a good mystery novel with plenty of twists and turns. It kept me interested through yo the end.
This was the first book I've read from this author and I really enjoyed it. The story was different from anything I've read recently and really captured my attention.
A great, unique read, and one which I would highly recommend to any thriller fans. Well crafted and the end is deliviered perfectly.
Truth Hurts is an Engrossing and Intriguing read that has a bit of everything, from thriller, romance, mystery and suspense. It just goes to show that if something seems too good to be true, then it probably is. A great book. Recommended
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
This was an enjoyable read, but in my opinion it wasn’t a psychological thriller.. the plot itself keeps you hooked to carry on reading. The characters were interesting and the setting was great. The first time I’ve read a book by this author, I look forward to reading more in the future.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this in exchange for a honest review.
Ooohhhh it’s a good one! The story of Poppy and Drew who meet, fall in love but make an agreement not to discuss the past....the reasons become clearer....a fabulous gripping book
There were so many threads to this story, some of which I guessed would unravel in a certain way but others I was wildly off the mark with. The middle of the book felt a little lost as I read it but it all tied up nicely at the end, and not too rushed or quickly either as each strand was given a chance to be explored properly. Definitely recommended.
I loved this book. So many layers to unravel. Poppy has just been fired from her job as a nanny. Feeling like she has nothing and nobody she drowns her sorrows in a bar. Where she meets Drew. An older, attractive and confident man who rescues her. A whirlwind romance ensues and they are married within a month. Our first inkling that all is not as it seems is when Drew proposes that they agree not to discuss their past. What is he hiding? What is Poppy hiding? Truth Hurts flips between now and before, and we learn that Poppy was once Agnes. And that her past is something she has good reason to hide. Will their secrets ultimately destroy their relationship? You'll just have to read it to find out.
Oh wow, this book was so good, when I started reading it I just didn’t want to stop so, even spare minute I had I was reading it. It was sometimes creepy but, most of the time it kept you guessing until the twist at the end.
I hadn’t read this author before but I see she’s written another one so I’ll be looking out for that one soon.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
I enjoyed this story well enough - nanny Poppy questions her employer and finds herself out on her ear in Spain. She meets handsome older man Drew who gives her a place to stay for the night. Her stay quickly becomes something more permanent, and they agree to get married, on the proviso that they don't talk about their paths.

On their return to England, they move into Thursday House, but Poppy never really feels at home there. And things just seem to get weirder when her best friend comes to stay.

While the story draws you along at a good pace, I just couldn't help wondering why Poppy never questioned anything, and I found the ending disappointing - it could have been resolved so much better I felt.
A new author to me!
Take one, apparently naive, nanny called Poppy. Add a rich, romantic, attractive older man, Drew. Result Romance. Too good to be true?
Add Gina, Poppy's best friend - wanting the best for her? Jealous? Controlling?
Add a spooky feeling to the house they eventually move to!
This book is definitely intriguing. Drew is an enigma while Poppy's past is slowly unveiled throughout the story. Not finished how I expected!
Three and a half stars for me!
Many thanks to Netgalley/Rebecca Reid/Random House for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own,
I thought this book was very well written and had a great way to keep the reader's attention. I was gripped throughout the story and read it in two sittings wanting to know what the secrets were and what was going to happen.

However the secrets and shock ending all happen in a matter of pages, I was expecting to have a bit more detail and explanation after waiting so long for the answers. The shock is so quick and barely even covered considering what an impact it has on the story and characters we have learned about throughout the story.

I felt the end didn't do the rest of the book justice and was too rushed. This could've easily been 5 stars if the ending was as strong as the rest of the book.
Unfortunately I didn't enjoy Truth Hurts as much as I wanted to. Although there are a couple of big secrets that keep you turning the pages until the end, it seems like the plot just didn't live up to it's full potential: the ending felt a bit rushed and under developed, and the secrets could have done a lot more work throughout.
I found the story of Poppy and Drew, with their secret unspeakable pasts quite intriguing.
We follow the story of their whirlwind marriage, which starts to unfold when they move into their new home.
Even though there were present and past chapters it was easy to follow Poppy’s story.
Drew’s past was somewhat more mysterious.
Highly recommend.
Absolutely loved reading this book. I will be keeping an eye out for Rebecca Reid in the future.
Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review.
I was sent a free copy of this book by NetGalley in return for an honest review.
This book tells the story of Poppy, a nanny working for a well off family who one days speaks her mind and finds herself out on the street. She is rescued by Drew, (Rich, good looking, older)  who offers immediate help and a whirlwind romance quickly materialises. Within weeks they are married and on returning to England , Drew buys a home in the country for them.  The house is big and beautiful but there is something about it that doesn’t sit right with Poppy.  Her one and only friend, Gina, comes to stay and helps Poppy make the house feel a bit more like home and Gina is amazed to discover that Poppy and Drew made a promise never to discuss the past (before they met). After a weekend with Drew’s friends, secrets start to unfold and the past eventually catches up with both of them.

The book floats between the here and now throughout, looking back at Poppy’s past and gives insights into why Poppy’s life has worked out the way it has.  Drew’s past isn’t explored until nearer the end of the book but it makes a lot of sense once you put all the parts together.
The characters are likeable, Poppy especially and at times you really feel for her.
The only negative I found with the book was the ending. Even though it was good it felt very abrupt, like it was all over in an instance, a flash, without really having the time to take it all in.  Maybe I just didn't want it to finish.

I really enjoyed this book, a nice easy read and I gave it four stars on Goodreads.
If something is too good to be true, then it probably is.

That was the first thought that came to my mind when I started reading this book. Poppy was fired from her nanny job and thrown out at 2am. She met Drew in a bar, and after a whirlwind romance a month long, they got married. They had a Pact, both would not ask the other of their past. And both were hiding many secrets.

My first book by author Rebecca Reid, I was floored by the wave of excitement that fizzed in me as I turned one page after the other. The author style of writing was brilliant. She kept the secrets hidden in such a way that the story told me Poppy's life in the present and her past. But the author kept schtum about Drew. That caused the bubble of curiosity to grow bigger in me.

The story had me jumping in glee, the characters really made me feel alive reading their story. I read for the pure joy of a thriller, so I kept with the flow of the story and didn't bother to guess. Just reading the author's words brought a frisson of pleasure in me. And the ending sideswiped me completely.

Ooooh a fantastic deadly read.
Having been sacked from her job and homeless in Ibiza. nanny Poppy meets handsome Drew in a bar and heads back to his flat. Within a few weeks the pair are married, having made a pact not to question each other’s past. But what secret is Drew hiding, and will he discover what lies in Poppy’s previous life?

Truth Hurts is a deceptively calm story. There are hints about Poppy’s past deeds, which gradually become clearer during the book; there are question marks about Drew’s behaviour; and the mystery of the house they buy in England, but nothing really prepared ,me for the final twists as all the dark secrets are revealed.

There were times when I felt the story was losing its way a little: the bizarre issues with the house misbehaving for Poppy, and the behaviour of her friend Gina grated, but overall a very good book.