The Ex-Girlfriend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I really enjoyed this book and the twisty nature that the plot weaves the different narratives together.
I didn’t guess the twist until it was actually revealed - I had a feeling that there was something off with Luke but didn’t manage to work out to what extent.
Moriaty manages to deal with sensitive issues such as mental health and domestic violence in a delicate manner - highlighting the horrific nature of the issues whilst allowing the reader to empathise with the characters.
I loved the female characters - they were strong willed and I felt myself rooting for them throughout.
I would definitely recommend this book for those who like quick paced psychological thrillers.
I rate this book 3.75 stars
She wants him back
She wants you gone
Twisty and fast-paced, with characters who are realistic and believable. I did predict one of the twists before it arrived but not how it would all come together in the end.It's a disturbing tale narrated in the first half by Georgia and the second half by Cadence; I really enjoyed this book  and the second half reeled me in deeper and l didn't want to put the book down.
It was a brilliant entertaining and an easy read.
Thanks to Netgalley
I have to admit there was a point to this story when I wondered if I should stop.....I just wasn’t feeling it.....then very quickly it picked up pace and I was pleased I stuck with it! The story of a boyfriend girlfriend and ex girlfriend and a whole load of drama !!   Stick with it and the twists and turns will come!!!
Haven’t read anything from this author before so a new one for me!

What a good read though, I didn’t find it particularly gripping but the book was very well written and held my attention all the same, I thought I knew what was going to happen and then bang I was wrong!

Great little thriller and one to look out for
💌Review💌⠀
⠀
Read this in one sitting! Did it have earth-shattering plot twists? No, but for once that did not faze me at all. The writing was captivating and the story was fast-paced and interesting that I just had to keep turning the pages to find out what happens. ⠀
⠀
I loved this book! From its setting in Australia, to the characters and just how the story unfolded. ⠀
⠀
Georgia, a nurse, is looking for a boyfriend.  She arranges a blind date on Tinder with Brett but is let down when he never shows up.  Two drunken men try to chat her up and she is rescued by Luke.  She is completely bowled over by him and they start a relationship.   He is handsome, kind and appears to be besotted with Georgia.  The only drawback is that he has recently split up from his girlfriend Cadence and reveals to Georgia that she isn’t coping with their break up.  Luke is still living with Cadence but soon moves in with Georgia and then Cadence starts stalking her.  Georgie starts receiving threatening messages and feels that someone is watching her and begins to feel very afraid.  The story is told mainly by Georgia and is a gripping read which includes self harming and abusive relationships but told in a sensitive way.  I was hooked from the first page and it kept me on the edge of my chair.  A compelling and scary read.
Thanks to Netgalley and Penguin for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Fantastic roller coaster of a read which is difficult to put down. I thought I knew where the story was going but then came the twist - fabulous I really wasn't expecting it. A gripping story which will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I really enjoyed this psychological thriller with excellent twists and turns along the way. I liked how the tension built and the ending was very satisfying and didn't leave me disappointed.

I highly recommend this book - fabulous.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review
As a single woman thoroughly fed up of online dating, the opening of this novel really struck a cord with me. Women gets stood up on tinder date (by the way I hate tinder!!!) then meets complete gentleman at the bar - they hit it off, start dating ... you get the picture.

Georgia believes that Luke is too good to be true at first. Not only is he handsome and kind, but he seems to utterly adore her, and cannot believe that someone was stupid enough to stand her up. One thing keeps Georgia grounded, Luke's ex-girlfriend Cadence.

Not only does she appear to be a complete psycho, but Luke is still living with her.

Alarm bells start ringing in Georgia's head, but Luke assures her that their relationship is well and truly over, and Cadence is slightly mentally unstable and cannot accept that they have broken up. He promises that he will speak with her and Georgia trusts him.

Everything is great until Cadence begins to threaten Georgia.

It's nothing serious at first, just the usual 'he'll soon get bored of you and come back to me' type of note. But then Georgia begins to suspect that she is being followed, and that's when things start to get really out of hand.

This is a very cleverly written book, with a major and very important twist. I will say that I did see the twist coming. But that didn't impact on my enjoyment of the novel, as even then, I felt like there was still more surprises to come (I wasn't wrong).

The Ex-Girlfriend is a lesson to us all - not just those who partake in online dating. If someone appears too good to be true. The chances are they probably are!! As for meeting people down the pub - perhaps I'll just stay single for now!!
I really enjoyed this book. However if you are an anxiety sufferer it hits a little too close to home. Very clever storyline though and I raced to finish it.
Georgia meets the man of her dreams on the night she was stood up on a Tinder date.  So far, so good, but the trouble is it was so predictable which turns the whole book into something of an anticlimax whilst waiting for the “heroine” to catch up.  So many gullible women in books lately!  Shame really because it was a good idea.  It was interesting enough to finish and probably would be a good beach read or travel companion or anywhere where lots of concentration isn’t necessary.
Creepy and gripping. I read this in one greedy go and didn’t want it to end! As if the world of dating isn’t quite scary enough......!
I enjoyed this book, the characters were well developed and realistic. As with all psychological thrillers there is the need to accept events at face value but the author did well to make these as believable as possible. The twists didn't come as much of a surprise - the author's breadcrumbs led me to predict how the story resolved itself. A really enjoyable read.
The Ex-Girlfriend is a thriller that after the first few chapters I knew exactly where this was going but somehow even though I guessed the storyline I still enjoyed it, this is probably down to the characters and the other things happening as well.
Georgia has hopefully met a really nice bloke, Luke, but from the start we all know he’s not going to be all that he’s cracked up to be. The first date goes well even though he tells Georgia because of lack of money he is still living with his ex-girlfriend, Cadence, but this isn’t an issue as they aren’t together and as soon as the lease is up they’ll be getting their own separate living accommodations.....yes, whatever I thought!!
Cadence learns of Georgia and things start to happen and not for the better!!
This was a good read and I liked the ending.... girl power and all of that!
I would like to thank Netgalley and Penguin UK, Michael Joseph for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
I have read a couple of Nicola's books now and I really enjoyed reading them.  I read the synopsis for 'The Ex-Girlfriend' and it certainly sounded like a book that would keep me guessing and it would keep messing with my head somewhat.  Well it ticked both boxes and so much more.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Ex-Girlfriend' but more about that in a bit.
I was drawn to this book from the synopsis alone, which certainly sounded like my kind of read.  As soon as I began to read I just knew that reading 'The Ex-Girlfriend' would prove to be addictive.  That has to be the understatement of the year.  I just couldn't get enough of this book.  I could not bear to be parted from the book for even just a nanosecond.  It was as if the book had developed a hold over me and it was a hold that I just didn't want to break.  When I began to read the synopsis, I had a sneaky feeling that the story wasn't going to be as straightforward as the synopsis suggests and I was spot on.  That's all the hints I am going to give as I would hate to spoil the book for anybody.  I guess I suspect everybody and believe nobody.  I had my own suspicions as to what was going to happen and I had to keep reading to see if my suspicions were going to be proved to be correct.  I binge read the book over the course of a single day which is actually brilliant going for me.  I usually have the attention span of a gnat and I am easily distracted but not in this case.  I was able to focus solely on this book and I was able to shut out all other distractions.
'The Ex-Girlfriend' is well written but then I have found that to be the case with Nicola's other books too.  She certainly knows how to grab your attention and once she has your attention she will not release it until the moment you close the back cover as it were.  Nicola uses such vivid and realistic descriptions that I did feel as though I was part of the story myself.  I found Nicola's writing to be so realistic that I was beginning to interact with the book.  Yes I know this book is a work of fiction but I find that if I enjoy a book to the extent that I enjoyed this one, then I 'live' the story as if it were real and that means that I 'talk' to the characters as if they can hear me.  I get some pretty strange looks because it looks as though I am talking to myself.
Reading 'The Ex-Girlfriend' was like being on a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride of a read with several twists and turns.  Some of the twists and turns will surprise you and some of them you will be able to guess.  There were times when I almost had to read through my fingers as I feared what was about to happen or what was waiting for me over the page.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Ex-Girlfriend' and I would definitely recommend this book and this author to other readers.  The author has written a gripping tale that will keep you guessing and keep you on the edge of my seat.  I look forward to watching more of Nicola's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
So Georgia has met the one.  Luke seems perfect, the only problem is his ex-girlfriend Cadence.  The book is divided into mostly Georgia's perspective and then Cadence's as it is revealed that all is not what it seems.  Is Luke really perfect after all.

A highly enjoyable read.
The story started so well but I sometimes I felt it dragged in bits. Good story overall. I liked the characters though at times they were a little more twisted than usual!
Absolutely loved this book, I was on the edge of my seat throughout, totally gripping, couldn't put it down!
This author has done it again.  Nicola Moriarty has produced an exciting book with a thrilling plot.  This is definitely a book to languish over but at the same time, needing to get to the end.

Set in Sydney, Australia, the story opens with nurse Georgia going on a blind date with a meeting up via Tinder.  Brett sounds a nice guy and she is looking forward to it.  Nearly an hour after arriving at their rendezvous, she is ready to leave the bar and give up.  Next thing she is being rescued from two loud men, by a stranger.  Luke changes her life.

He is the dream boyfriend, good looking, attentive, kind and obviously besotted by Georgia.  He has recently broken up with hid girlfriend Cadence, who is not coping well with the breakup.  He is not able to leave their shared flat because their lease is not due and neither can manage the rent on their own.

With Luke in her life, Georgia's life is never the same.  Cadence follows her, leaves her notes on her car, sends her texts and then the stalking goes up a notch.  She even gets a couple of unpleasant texts from her Tinder date, Brett demanding she gives him a chance.  Why are people so unkind – even ones she has not even met.

As her life spirals out of control, Cadence comes onto the scene after Georgia goes to see her.  This culminates in a dangerous and difficult situation.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and it has earned a well-deserved 5*****.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
This is a gripping and complex storyline with lots of twists. I did guess part of it but that didn't stop me enjoying this excellent book. Highly recommended
What a totally engrossing book I was engrossed from start to finish had to read in one sitting definitely worth a five star rating.