Cover Image: Overdrawn

Overdrawn

What a brilliant book. Thoroughly enjoyed it, it kept me thinking about it during the day and a long time after I’d finished reading it. A interesting premise. If you like dystopian novels, this is for you.
This book is brilliant, it comes under the dystopian genre however this story paints a picture of a not to distant future, however there are elements that are here already, it's spooky and its surreal. This book talks about how as a society we view ageing and dementia. In this other world old people and people with illness are seen as a burden so they are urged to 'move on' . Moving on means death, moving on means euthanasia, moving on means leaving the earth to preserve resources for future generations. However even having children in this world is frowned upon, it seems as life is not viewed as something sacred at all. In this society you have to pay for healthcare using credits, so if you need medicine, medical assistance or God forbid a stay in hospital you need to be sure you've got enough money in the bank, so you see we are already in uncomfortable territory. Kaitlyn's story sees us in hospital quite a bit and its here we see a fierce bond between her and her brother. Observing this sibling relationship we learn a lot about Kaitlyn and her brother, we become invested in their lives. This isn't the only relationship we learn about. We've also got Henry and Chloe and again we learn about their character and we see the love between this married couple. Henry is in his 60's and in this world that's classed as ancient. We explore the complexities in these relationships. Henry and Kaitlyns paths cross and their story developes and we see them taking on this topsy turvy world to better their individual situations.

The writing is pure genius. Crosskey has written a book that is thought provokeng, fierce, brave, bittersweet and about enduring love. This author is high on my radar - I can't wait to see what's next.
A book about so many important life lessons relating to family, love and loss. An original story that is emotionally heart wrenching and captivating in equal parts. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.
Readers are encouraged to consider what they value the most in this novel. The importance of preservation versus life is explored through Kaitlyn and Henry and I felt like I was reading a race against time, leading towards its eventual conclusion. With Kaitlyn’s brother in a coma and Henry’s wife suffering from dementia, Crosskey focuses on the importance of healthcare in this new, dystopian environment. The medical issues are engrossing and I wonder if some readers may find this theme a little too personal; with so many stories, I can see how this element would hit too close to home for some of the audience. Indeed, personally, there were many memories that resurfaced whilst reading this book and, yes I did persevere, it made the read itself even more emotional than I expected.

The lengths that Kaitlyn and Henry are prepared to reach are admirable. I could not believe how their plan would work out and although I eventually guessed the ending, it was still a pleasure to read. Their desperation towards the ones they loved was warming, juxtaposing the bleak subject matter. An unusual friendship between two generations, this novel explored how different beliefs can actually reach a mutual ground.

I enjoyed this book and in fact found it a little bit addictive! I couldn’t put it down – again, a reflection of how well Crosskey has written this novel. However, the bleakness really haunted me, and whilst the ending of the story is intended to be uplifting, I was too dragged down by the emotions I was experiencing. There are some quite traumatic ideas presented here and, whilst the author may not have intended for it to be such a serious book, I felt I couldn’t truly escape into this dystopian novel – it was too close to home and a reminder of some of my own personal experiences.
What a great premise for a novel! Terrifyingly realistic dystopia, it is at times disturbing but still manages to have great warmth and hope. The characters are realistically flawed and the plot is moving and heart warming despite the serious and thought-provoking subject.
I love finding a new author!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
This was a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and loved the characters. It was heart-warming and engaging. I thoroughly recommend it.
In a dystopian world where euthanasia is encouraged and dementia is seen as a burden on society, the ‘Collective Council’ have put in place a credit based approach to the costs of healthcare with an emphasis on people moving on in to the next life in order to leave more to those left behind. The ‘Moving On’ organisation assist with this: “Our lives are short, but our legacies long. Live responsibly, always with the future in mind”. It’s a terrifying ethos and one which has a huge impact on the two leading characters in this book, Henry and Kaitlyn and the decisions they make.

Henry is 60 years old, and part of the ‘snowflake generation’ who is trying to do everything possible to save his wife Chloe who is suffering from dementia. Her dose of pills has just been increased and Henry is fast running out of options to pay for her treatment. Kaitlyn, a young waitress is struggling to make ends meet and pay for her brother’s life support machine to be kept switched on. When a chance encounter leads to Henry and Kaitlyn’s paths crossing, the arrangement they embark on to save the lives of those they love will have an impact on them forever.

Before even starting this book the premise was instantly intriguing to me and I have found it such a fascinating and gripping story. The friendship Henry and Kaitlyn form is so special and I love Chloe too and how she impacts on Kaitlyn as the story progresses. There are so many clever twists along the way and I couldn’t wait to keep reading to find out what would happen next! I wasn’t expecting the ending at all, but it felt right for these truly wonderful characters. The concept of a single test denoting your place in society also plays a huge part in the past and present decisions made by Henry and Kaitlyn. I couldn’t imagine living in a world like this and being faced with such impossible decisions when I too would want to do all I could to save those that I love!

I have really enjoyed this dystopian novel which is thought provoking, clever and one that offers a terrifying look at how we could potentially find ourselves living. I can’t wait to read more of N J Crosskey’s books in the future!
I’ve never read anything by this author before and I was curious if he would live up to my other favourite dystopian Novels

I was not disappointed. The author drew me into the novel from the first pages

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I found this book so original

I would highly recommend this novel
Not really what I was excited to read. Maybe was just not my cup of tea but I can kinda see why people liked this book. It's a good written book and it was good read. Not great, but good.

Thank you NetGalley for this arc.
I loved this book. Dystopian future novels have been very popular this decade but writers are beginning to run out of unique viewpoints and the same issues come up. Not so with Overdrawn. Getting in to the novel and finding that the elderly character was from my generation was startling and made the book all the more poignant for me. I fell a little in love with Henry and then with Kaitlyn. I was so pleased with how the novel came together at the end and it does reinforce that while different generations have differing ideas of how life should be lived, and that religions can change and influence the population greatly socially as well as spiritually, there is always common ground and the chance for compromise.
This book was my first journey into a dystopian world. I was weary about whether I would enjoy it or find it too unbelievable, but... well the story is horribly plausible and has me asking more questions than I thought possible.

Harry and Kaitlyn, different ages, different paths, different pasts, same goals. Both characters driven to protect and preserves the greatest loves of their lives!

In an alternate reality they fight for their loved ones, they grapple with previous choices and where their futures will take them. Their characterisations are is so natural that grumpy Henry could be your grandad and downtrodden Kaitlyn could be your best friend, their pain, their fight, their helplessness leaps of the page and grips you. You walk their paths, you live their fears, and you remain grateful that this is not yet a world we live in!

There are times when you feel their plights are hopeless, when you fear they can’t beat the system, but when the. Hips are down Henry and Kaitlyn’s friendship pulls them together and finds them a new path, and hope is restored.

This book for me was about love, and the power and strength of a connection that is more than want and is total need. A story which proves that love can cloud our judgement and consume us, but that it can also guide and save us.

This story left me floundering at a world so cruel, a world so twisted and wrong, where success is measured by wealth and social standing, a world where love is last on the list. It’s an overwhelming beautiful tale of unlikely friendship and triumph. The author is breathtakingly and undeniably talented.

I. cannot recommend you read this book highly enough. Thanks Netgalley and N.J Crosskey!
The first book I've finished on Kindle in years and also probably the first I've ever properly cried whilst reading... Overdrawn is set in a dystopian world where people "move on" (a nicer term for "decide to die") if they cannot afford the health care or if they wish to pass the funds they have instead onto their children.

The world described in this is heartbreaking. I cannot imagine living in a place where being old is frowned upon and thought of as being selfish.

A very thoughtful story with a fast pace. A real rollercoaster.

Thank you to @legendpress and @netgalley for my copy!
This book was nothing short of fascinating and really original.  The government has decided to work with a group called Moving On to try to reduce overcrowding.  People are not living with things like dementia because they cannot afford to.  The older generation are treated like an inconvenience and are treated poorly.  Each person is given EP based upon their value to society.  The housing is separated into people with low EP, mid EP, and high EP so it is fairly similar to class society currently.  Henry is an older gentleman that is fighting to keep his wife alive as she has dementia.  Kate is a part of the younger generation and is using her own EP to keep her brother in a coma alive.  Henry and Kate decide to work the system by having a child together.  They unite forces to try to help their family members.  This book is dystopian, however not far off how things could be one day.  I experienced so many different emotions while reading this and would definitely recommend this to others,  This book was well written and so unique.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book, it was very enjoyable. I found the plot line engaging and the characters believable. I have not read anything by this author before but will do in the future! I will be recommending this book to friends and family.
Overdrawn, by N J Crosskey, is a disturbingly feasible read; a near-future dystopia where health and health care is a financial product and everyone is born marked with a credit amount. This novel puts a price on human life, raises the question about which lives are worth more than others, and does it so subtly that at times I almost forgot that it wasn't real. It's set in England, a bleak England filled with high rises and mistrust, and where Moving On - ending your life when it is no longer financially viable - is an ethical choice. It was a difficult read, well-written, well-paced, and with believable central characters. The friendship between Henry and Kaitlyn is the light in a very dark literary tunnel - I didn't find the majority of this book enjoyable, despite the nice prose, simply because it was so close to reality and just so depressing - but it is an important read and one which those in power could certainly do with picking up and taking into consideration. "An ableist dystopia" I've seen this one referred to - and that's an astute description; it's timely and appropriate, clever, and extremely bleak.
Loved this book. It had a great twist and the plot was exciting and heart warming. I loved the dystopian setting and the issues facing the characters.
Thank you Netgalley and Publishers for granting me early access to "Overdrawn".

I'm currently in the middle of a major move, and will definitely come back at a later time and write out a full review and rating.

Thank you so much!
I was so excited to be invited on the blogtour for Overdrawn as I LOVE dystopian fiction, and this little gem of a book did not disappoint!  Overdrawn is punchy and pacy, yet packed with heart and tender relationships;  I became emotionally invested from the very beginning.

On the face of it, the whole premise of Overdrawn seems completely bonkers; yet the terrifying fact is that it is totally believable and utterly plausible.  I yo-yo’d through a range of emotions as I turned the pages of Overdrawn; but the one that struck me most was the horror at the macabre “Moving-On” parties (arranged for when people thought that they had become too much of a burden to society).  The forced gaiety was almost too much to bear!

I was enraptured by Overdrawn; totally sucked in and consumed by the story of Henry and Kaitlyn, yet simultaneously stupefied and gobsmacked by Crosskey’s clever and captivating tale.

When I finished Overdrawn I could hear my heart hammering in my chest and reverberating in my ears: What. A. Ride.  This politically charged, dystopian drama was both thought-provoking and heart-breaking and left me with a bittersweet taste in my mouth.  I look forward to whatever stroke of genius Crosskey offers up next, but in the meantime I’ll be buying her first book; Poster Boy.
This book feels timely and topical and will make you think. Really well written and absolutely worth the hype.
I kind of enjoyed this book. It didn’t keep me glued to it. Characters and plot ok but I just couldn’t get into it all