Cover Image: Little Boy Lost

Little Boy Lost

‘Little Boy Lost’ is the latest book in the DCI Anna Tate series.

One early October afternoon, ten-year-old Jacob Rossi begins the short walk home from school. But he never makes it. Days later, DCI Anna Tate is called to the scene of a burning building, where an awful discovery has been made. A body has been found, and the label in his school blazer reads: J. Rossi. As Anna starts digging, she soon learns that a lot of people had grudges against the boy’s father. But would any of them go so far as to take his son? And is the boy’s abductor closer than she thinks?

If you’re a fan of the film series ‘The Purge’, then the latest book by JP Carter is a must for you.

When a police accidentally kills an innocent pregnant woman, all hell breaks loose when raids happen all over London and beyond in revenge for the woman’s killing. It’s while this is happening that DCI Anna Tate has been out during the riots to investigate the tragic death of a little boy chained to a wall in a cellar. Whilst she’s investigating this, her daughter Chloe, who has been missing for the last number of years, running for her life as she accidentally gets caught up in the mass riots.

The story is seen from two perspectives, Anna and Chloe. Whilst Anna is investigating and gruesome and tragic case, she’s unaware of her young daughter running for her life, escaping death, kidnapping as well as rape. She’s a feisty girl, who has been through quite a lot in her short life and is only just beginning to adapt her new life with a woman she never thought of as mum. The two different narratives give stark differences in the dangerous and chaotic riots whilst Anna is working away in her own bubble thinking that Chloe is safe and sound.

This book is the third book in the series by JP Carter and for me, I was able to seamlessly settle into it and flow along with the previous back story which is Anna and Chloe reconciling and the horrific circumstances that brought them together.

The story is truly gripping reading but it genuinely unsettling in parts with the tragic death of a little boy, as well as the chaotic rioting Cleverly written with a suspenseful and terrifyingly believable plot line and unreliable characters riddled throughout. ‘Little Boy Lost’ is a fast paced thriller that right from the beginning really pulls the reader in with the right mixture drama and chaos.

You can buy ‘Little Boy Lost’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops
I've followed this crime series from the beginning and with each successive story the series just gets better and better. It's now such a real treat to join again with DCI Anna Tate and her team of investigative officers.

In Little Boy Lost we catch up with Anna as she is coming to terms with some big changes in her life, the reasons for which were revealed in the previous book, so I won't go into detail for those who haven't read book #2 At Your Door. However, crime doesn't stop and Anna is called back to duty after her compassionate leave when she is asked to investigate a complex case of a missing schoolboy. With the suspense cranked up to high, Anna and her team have a race against time to find out just what is going on with the abduction case whilst at the same time getting drawn into the complications of a series of extremely violent riots which are taking place simultaneously in London. Add limited resources and a shortage of detectives into the mix and the whole case suddenly becomes a good deal more complicated.

I was soon gripped by the complexity of the plot as the story gets off to a dramatic start, and as the action continues at fast and furious pace no stone is left unturned and no small clue is left uninvestigated.  It's quite a dark story in places, and certainly doeesn't shy away from the grimier side of life, and yet the author does a great job of tempering the grittiness of the story alongside the human interest and I was especially gripped by, Anna’s daughter, Chloe’s story as she inadvertently gets drawn into the terrible events which are happening in London.

There is no doubt that this is fast becoming one of my favourite crime investigation series and I think that Little Boy Lost is my favourite of this author's books to date. Filled with twists and turns, thrills and spills, the story grabs your attention right from the very start and doesn't let you imagination go until a wowser of an ending which leaves you definitely wanting more.
Another fabulous DCI Anna Tate book, I so look forward to reading these and this didn’t disappoint. Anna and her daughter Chloe are just getting used to being together again after so many years apart, when the accidental shooting of a drugs lord’s pregnant wife sparks riots and mayhem across London. Anna is asked to go back to the force from her compassionate leave to deal with the body of a young, missing boy found in a burnt out pub.
She meets the boys family and the detective heading the hunt for him. It’s up to Anna to work our how Jacob Rossi came to be in the derelict pub and who put him there.
Meanwhile, she enlists her partner Tom to look after Chloe and keep her safe - however all doesn’t go to plan and Chloe finds herself on the streets of London whilst the riots continue.
There was a great twist to the end of the story which I hadn’t seen coming.
Can’t wait for the next one!
Oh yes this was a brilliant read.  I loved it and highly recommend..  it gripped me right from the start,
I loved the other two in this series and I really couldn’t wait to dive into the next instalment in this series! It did not disappoint. DCI Anna Tate is such a great character! Really enjoy this one and I just devoured it!!
I’ve read this authors previous books In Safe Hands and At Your Door. I really like DCI Anna Tate so couldn’t wait to read more of her. This was a great read.

DCI Anna Tate is a great character. She’s very likeable and works real hard. We get two storylines running side by side. Anna is called to cut her compassionate leave short when a young boys body is found during the riots. At the same time her daughter finds herself caught up in the riots with no way to reach her mum.

Really enjoyed this story and read it pretty quickly. Definitely recommend it.
A great read that has many story lines running at the same time and manages to pull them all together in a surprising way.  The death of a young boy that is being investigated while the police try to quell the back lash of an officer's shooting means the story has many suspects to sort through.  How the boy's death a consequence of his parent's actions is just one of the surprises in this story.
Jacob goes missing on his way home from school.Jacob is the son of a famous T V Presenter.
While he is missing London is under threat by rioting,looting and setting fires. One of these fire throwers throws one into an abandoned pub unknown to them that is where Jacob is being held.
D.C.I Anna Tate called in early from her leave of absence to work on the body found in the pub.
While investigating this her daughter Chloe gets entangled in the riots when Anna's boyfriend Tom is set upon by thugs while trying to take Chloe to his house.
This is a very good read
Thanks NetGalley
What lengths that people will go to never fails to amaze me! This was a super charged intense read. The story is gut wrenching and suspenseful at the same time. This was my second read by this author, and I am very impressed with the originality of the books. If you are looking for a grisly, intriguing, captivating crime thriller, you have stumbled across a excellent one!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of the book.
#netgalley
4☆ A Gritty, Compulsive, Suspenseful Crime Thriller

Little Boy Lost is the third book in a series, but my first book. If can be read as a standalone without any problem.

DCI Anna Tate has been called into work early from her leave of absence.
A young boy has been found abandoned and burned in the basement of a derelict pub, set on fire by the rioters.

They quickly discover that the young boy is actually called Jacob and he went missing on his way home from school.
But that's not all, he's actually the Son of a Famous TV Presenter and it turns out his not exactly popular, with many enemies.

In amongst finding Jacob, London is in chaos with rioting happening throughout London.
This actually bought back memories as this happened close to me. So it felt very real.

Anna and her team must work together to find out who would be twisted enough to kill a young child, and why?

The story is told in various POV one being Anna and her investigation into the the death of Jacob and the other Her 12 year old Daughter Chloe who gets caught up in the chaos and danger of the rioting.
I really enjoyed this style of writing as you got to delve into the investigation side but also got the reality and horror of the riots which was very real and relatable to me!

Little Boy Lost is a gritty and compulsive crime thriller that keeps you turning the pages, it's suspenseful, gripping and pacy and you get wrapped up in the chaos.
The police procedural felt slightly old school and developed at a slightly slower pace which I really enjoyed good solid investigation.
Would I recommend reading Little Boy Lost..... without a doubt.....yes!

Thank you to Avon books for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
This was a good mystery set in modern day England.

This is the third book in the series, and the second one that I've read. I really liked the first book, but this one fell a little short for me. When the book opens, DCI Anna Tate is on leave from her job as a police detective to bond with her long lost daughter Chloe. Her leave is cut short, however, when the police department needs every officer on the job as it deals with hordes of rioters in the streets. Anna is called to handle the murder of a young boy found chained to a wall in the basement of a vacant bar that was set on fire by rioters. The boy is the son of a prominent man, so the case is a high profile matter.

As Anna starts to investigate, she discovers that a lot of people had grudges against the boy's father, and any one of them could have kidnapped the boy. A second story line that weaves through the book involves Chloe. She becomes lost in the mayhem created by the rioters and the story follows her quest to find safety and reconnect with her mother. This story line was pretty far-fetched and I didn't enjoy it very much. I felt that it detracted from the main story and while I can understand why the author felt she needed some vehicle to bring Anna and Chloe closer, I still didn't care for it.

Overall, it's still a good book with lots of twists and turns, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book. I will still read more books in the series, however, because I really enjoy the main character.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

I thought this book was a fantastic read.   I’ve read the first book in this series but not the second.   DCI Tate is on compassionate leave at the beginning of the book and is soon called back into work to investigate an abduction that becomes a murder.   I really liked her character, thought she was very believable and you get small glimpses into her home and personal life.   The book has so many twists in the plot, you follow the police investigation and read of the rioting taking place across the city.   The author has wrote this book very VERY well.   I was completely hooked with the story, some chapters ended with you (ok me) desperate to know what was going to happen next ...... An absolute cracking read and I will now be reading book 2 and looking forward to the next instalment.    5 stars
J P Carter brings the indomitable DCI Anna Tate back for another spine-tingling case that will keep readers up all night turning the pages: Little Boy Lost.

It was meant to be a typical weekday afternoon where millions of schoolchildren all over the land make the daily trek home from school. However, one little boy never managed to make it back home. Ten year old Jacob Rossi had left school one October afternoon and began his journey back – only he never did make it back. Jacob had disappeared off the face of the earth and left no trace behind him. Police left no stone unturned but did not manage to find him – until they were called to a burning building where a body had been found with a label in his school blazer that read J. Rossi. DCI Anna Tate and her team realise that they’ve got a tough case ahead of them that is going to challenge them, test their mettle and lead them down many a dark and twisted path. Will they manage to solve this case? Or will they end up with more questions than answers?

As Anna begins digging, she is surprised to find that there were people with a grudge against Jacob’s father. A lot of people. But who could be so twisted and evil that they would exact their revenge upon the father, by so brutally hurting his son? Could there be somebody so heinous in their community that they would do whatever it takes to ensure Jacob’s father suffers? Why did a little boy end up having to pay the consequences for his family’s actions? Can Anna get to the bottom of this case? Is Jacob’s abductor somebody who is so close that he is right under their nose? Will the abductor strike again? Or is it already far too late?

In a race against time, the stakes have never been higher for DCI Anna Tate, but will she rise to the challenge and put the bad guys behind bars again? Or is she on the tail of a criminal so twisted that not even she can catch him?

J P Carter certainly knows what scares and terrifies his readers and he is on top form with his latest DCI Anna Tate thriller, Little Boy Lost. A chilling read guaranteed to keep his readers on the edge of their seats from page one until the last sentence, Little Boy Lost is a pulse-racing, nerve-twisting and nail-biting thriller that is definitely not for the faint-hearted.

Best read with every single light in the house switched on, Little Boy Lost is a white-knuckle chiller that is so brilliantly written, readers won’t be able to sleep for weeks.
This book is also part of a series and it had me from the first page. I haven't read the first two books in the series and will be definitely reading more. I loved the style of writing and look forward to reading more.
5 stars just isn’t enough!! If I could give it 20 I would! Being a big fan of Anna Tate I was really excited to read this! It took me 4 hours front to back, but I barely looked up from it!
The riot scenes absolutely terrified me and I read them with a knot in my tummy and a knot of anxiety in my throat.
The main story - the body of the little boy being discovered during the riots felt almost like a back story - with the Anna/Chloe story being the main for me!
Fantastic as always! Can’t wait for the next one!
Thank you for the advanced copy of this book. I really enjoyed this, really like the main character Anna, she’s a strong female detective who kicks arse. Always enjoy a book set in London as well. Well written, I’m going to lookout for this author again!
'Little Boy Lost' is the third book in the series featuring Detective Chief Inspector Anna Tate.  I read, reviewed and loved the previous two books in the series and so I couldn't wait to get hold of a copy of this new book.  Having just finished reading 'Little Boy Lost', I can confirm that it is just as good as the previous two books in the series.  In fact for me, 'Little Boy Lost' is the best of the series so far and I loved each and every minute of the story but more about that in a bit.
What can I say about Detective Chief Inspector Anna Tate?  I warmed to her from the start and I actually felt as though she became a good friend.  In fact, reading about Anna again felt like reuniting with old friends.  Life hasn't been easy for Anna and it's only fairly recently that she reunited with her daughter, Chloe.  Anna's ex abducted their daughter when their daughter was 2 years old and he effectively went on the run with her.  For ten long years, Anna has been searching for her daughter and now they are back together, although their reunion hasn't been straightforward. Anna's ex and Chloe's step-mother are now deceased and the truth about Chloe has come to light.  Chloe went out a two year old and came back a teenager.  There is a lot of catching up to do.  Anna's bosses have been very understanding and granted her a certain amount of compassionate leave to enable  Anna to get to know Chloe again and establish a relationship.  However, Anna's compassionate leave is brought to an abrupt end when rioting breaks out in London and a young boy's body is found in the basement of an abandoned pub.  Anna is tough, determined, stubborn, diligent, methodical and she kicks ass when she needs to.
I was addicted to this book from the moment I read the synopsis and then the story itself just sealed the deal as it were.  For me, 'Little Boy Lost' is the true definition of an unputdownable pageturner of a read.  I picked the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters but I was still sat there reading over a dozen chapters later.  I knew that putting the book down was not an option and so the book travelled everywhere with me.  It was as if I feared missing some crucial detail or a vital clue.  The more of the book that I read, the more that I wanted to read and the quicker the pages seemed to turn.  I would say that I flew through the latter half of the book as my desperation to find out how the story concluded grew and grew.  All too soon, I reached the end of the book, which I was disappointed about.  I don't mean that in a negative way but I was enjoying the storylines, the characters and the author's writing style so much that I just wish the book had continued for longer.
'Little Boy Lost' is brilliantly written but then I think that is true of any book in this series.  The author certainly knows how to start the story with a bang.  For me, the story hits the ground running and maintains the fast pace throughout.  The author grabs your attention from the start and he draws you into the story from the start.  The author then takes you on one hell of a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with several twists and turns that sneak up on you and leave you feeling as though you have been punched in the gut.  I was gripped by the story and on the edge of my seat throughout this book.  J. P. Carter uses such vivid and realistic descriptions that I felt as though I was part of the story myself.
In short, 'Little Boy Lost' is another amazing book from J. P. Carter and for me, it's the best book of the series so far.  I would definitely recommend this series to other readers.  I look forward to reading more from J. P. Carter in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
I want to start off by saying thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book, it was a very good read easy to follow along with storyline and characters. This was a new author for me but I very much enjoyed it, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading more by this author again. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
Little Boy Lost is a great new release in the DCI Anna Tate crime series; I heard wonderful things about the first, In Safe Hands, and the second, At Your Door, and was hoping that the third would live up to that reputation. It certainly did! I love that this novel has so many elements of a great crime series for me – a strong female lead, an abundance of sound police procedures, some twists without being unbelievable, and an easy to read, yet interesting plot. Little Boy Lost ticked all these boxes and was a fabulously entertaining read! This could easily be enjoyed as a stand alone novel, but reading them in order would, of course, enable more understanding about Anna as a character, and her past. Anna is an inspiring woman, determined and vigilant, as well as a strong leader who never gives up. She cares about her victims and wants justice for them, no matter what the consequences might be. I felt connected to Anna and shared her worries surrounding her daughter, Chloe.

I really enjoyed the intensity of the action in the story. Set in London during a time of dreadful unrest, J. P. Carter recreates the horrors of the 2011 riots. Time is ticking away as Anna investigates the murder of a young boy at a time when all police forces are being stretched to the limits. It all felt incredibly real and believable; I experienced the stress and anxiety endured by Anna and Chloe and could not fathom how the authorities were going to cope.

While Anna is investigating the case, her daughter finds herself lost in the midst of the riots, as a consequence of some unfortunate events, and unable to warn her mother. Those two storylines run concurrently for a sizable part of the book. Both storylines are really intriguing and kept me turning the pages throughout – I read this book in just a few hours.

There are some gritty parts to this story as well as oodles of suspense, and this in addition to the great characters and the well-constructed plot, makes for a truly brilliant read, in what is definitely a favourite new crime series' of mine!

I will be reading the first two books in the series, and confidently recommend Little Boy Lost.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my request, from Avon Books via NetGalley, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
A very disturbing story. very well told and believable after previous London riots.
My husband has always pointed to the regular occurrence of riots in the UK's history, and the fact that social ills were addressed afterwards, as a reason, possibly, that unlike  most of Europe, we still have a monarchy. And have not had a real Revolution.
 I saw a play created from interviews with our last London rioters, and it is clear that a significant portion of our youth feel very disenfranchised. And the increase in knife crime in 2019 emphasises this.
So the social unrest that is The background to this story is a viable a believable extrapolation.
I am not sure if Chloe's back story added a great deal apart from muddling stories up. I would have left it out. Its riot experience was enough.
And the final twist was one I never saw coming. Excellent.

Corrected Review.