Unearthed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 1 Oct 2019

Unearthed is the first installment in author Cecy Robson's Death Seeker series. 26-year old Olivia Finn is a pixie who wears a talisman to hide from Death. There are others like her as well, including some who work in her office. A Cù-sìth Death hound named Cathasach has been searching for Olivia and others like her. He convinced other forms of Death to feed on living souls. Olivia has escaped him several times before, and she has become his obsession since devouring Olivia's family when they escaped to Earth.

Olivia works as a paralegal, administrative assistant for MacGregor & Santonelli law firm. Olivia is clever at multitasking able to keep her boss from blowing a circuit. Olivia finds herself working for a high profile criminal defense attorney named Scott Ryker. Ryker has an unusual secret which is spoiled by the cover of this book. Living with her best friend Dahlia, lying low, and trying not to do anything to get noticed goes flying out the window when Cathasach and Gremlins attack at a bar that she and Dahlia are enjoying.

Things quickly spiral out of control when the Grim Reaper himself seems to step out of darkness to help save Olivia. But, it appears that Olivia is far from being helpless. Olivia discovers that she has new powers that can help her fight the hell hounds that are after her people. Enter Ryker, the dark brooding Grim Reaper who offers to help train Olivia in order to fight Cathasach and help her friends survive being devoured. In return he want’s her to end his life. He’s been the Ankou, aka King of the Dead, far longer then was meant to be and the long life has taken it’s toll on him.

I think it's fair to say that Cecy has a reputation for hot hunky male characters who fall for women who may be the key to survival for all Fae races but have no clue as to what they are doing. This is a story that is both humorous at times, and action packed. There are so many similarities to other series I dare not spoil them for you. Olivia is shoved into the spotlight as being some sort of miracle worker even though she has no clue how her powers work, or why everyone is not looking for her to save the day.

But she had this annoying propensity for fainting/blacking out when things got rough. Twice she did that at the height of a battle. Perhaps in this instance, third person narrative would have been preferred. There are some really interesting characters as well. Bill, her boss, is a gargoyle who is the de-facto fae leader. Jane is a cross between a Druid and a Hydra who knew almost right away that Olivia was immune to Death. There are even dragons. The villains are dark, and evil, and nourish themselves by feeding on souls.

I may have only given this book 3 1/2 stars, but most of that negativity comes from the office politics where women suddenly have claws whenever someone looks at them wrong, or if they intrude on someone's else's man.
An unexpected treat that will appeal to fans of strong heroine-driven urban fantasy. It clips along at a brisk pace, with enough worldbuilding to keep you in the loop but not to overwhelm with detail. There is some romance, but not enough to classify this as a romance.
I loved this so much, the characters are just amazing I love Olivia and Ryker so much, they have great chemistry and so much snark ! This isn’t a light read, there are a lot of dark themes and terror, graphic at times, I absolutely loved it, have I said that ! An addictive read, I have one criticism, I have to wait now for the next book, what a great start to what is going to be a fantastic series and a hell of a ride.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion

No one expects a pixie with no powers to save the world.  But when Olivia is attacked in a fae bar by soul-stealing hounds, her rage and fear manifest powers like no other.  Now her touch can burn death - but only if she can survive long enough to hone her powers.  The best person to help her - darkly handsome Ryker - happens to be the Grim Reaper.  Olivia and Ryker are in a race against time - the hounds have caught Olivia's scent and they will find her.  The only question is will she be ready when they do.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Robson weaves another urban fantasy novel with distinct characters and a compelling plot.  I look forward to the next instalment.
Unearthed is the first book in a new Urban Fantasy series by Cecy Robson.

This book started with a strong start and I was pulled into the story quickly. I really thought this would be at least a four stars. Somehow, it went down after a while. I'd say it was probably after we knew the main character was (view spoiler). I felt like this was made just to make the character special but it wasn't really explained except that (view spoiler)

About the romance, I really enjoyed the beginning. I was really intrigued by Ryker. However, I found the ending predictable but also unbelievable. After all, (view spoiler) But I enjoyed their banter, nonetheless.

I probably won't read the sequel but this was an enjoyable story even though it was a middle of the road kind of book for me.

(Thank you for letting me read and review an ARC via Netgalley)
Unearthed is the first book in Cecy Robson's new Death Seeker urban fantasy series. She has created a world where the fae are living among us but humans have no idea about it because they're hiding in plain sight. Pixie Olivia lost her magic and her wings when she left her home realm and traveled to earth with her family and now she does her best to blend in by working in a law firm. Fae living in this realm have to keep their magic hidden at all costs or the death hounds will sniff them out and devour them, just like they did with Olivia's parents and sisters, so she is especially conscious about keeping out of trouble.

Of course some people just aren't capable of staying hidden and when a brush with death ignites powers that Olivia didn't realise she even had she finds it harder than ever to stay out of sight. But her new abilities could be enough to save all of the fae from the death hounds, if only she can figure out how to master them.

There were a lot of things I really enjoyed about this novel, Olivia was a fun character and I'm enjoying the start of a slow build romance between her and Ryker. I really love that there are so many different types of species in this world too, we have pixies, dragons, gargoyles and even the grim reaper and I know there are others I'm missing from that list. I do wish we'd had a little more detail on the world building though. What I really wanted to know was why the fae chose to come to earth in the first place, it was implied that they came here to get away from the death hounds but how did the death hounds suddenly become such a huge threat? I'd love to know more about where they came from and what they left behind. Also, how did they know about the talismans they would need in order to stay hidden? I think these questions and more will be answered as we continue the series though so I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.

The only real negative I have to mention is the amount of woman hating going on, I really disliked that so many women were portrayed as man-grabbing whores who were in competition with Olivia whether she wanted them to be or not. I've read everything Cecy Robson has published to date and I've not noticed that being an issue in previous books but the amount of slut shaming really bothered me in this book and did take a star off of my rating. It did improve in the second half of the book so hopefully we won't see more of it in any sequels.
I’ve Enjoyed Cecy’s other books, especially her PNR/UF, so of course I wanted to read Unearthed. This was a fun book that had me eager to get back to it anytime I had to set it aside. The characters were entertaining and lovable, while the story was engaging and fast paced. Ahh, and that ending ... not a cliffhanger, but it definitely made me want another book ASAP.
I really enjoyed the mythology of this story. It was a unique red and take of classic myth. I was drawn in to the plight of the characters. The MC's personality was whimsical enough to keep the story from dragging the reader into the overlaying sadness of the arch. I look forward to reading the next book.
The Fae escaped Death by fleeing to Earth’s realm unfortunately Death wasn’t far behind… Pixie Olivia Finn clings to talisman that keeps her veiled from Death and she believes that she is safe…until Death finds her and discovers that she’s immune to its grip. Now the Fae believe she is their savior and dark entities are compelled to destroy her, she can no longer hide from Death. To survive, she must seek it but can she trust the King of the Dead who has sworn to train and protect her.

This new series is utterly fascinating with lots an intriguing fae culture, surprising elements and Death in its many forms. The characters are strong, bold and some are a little on the quirky side, adding a bit of spice, flair and fun to the story. There is some seriously electrical chemistry between Olivia and Ryker, but this budding romance has several obstacles, which keeps the relationship in suspense throughout and also adds to the emotional turmoil of the story which in this case, there are lots which isn’t surprising when the characters are being stalked by death entities.

The story is steady to fast paced with lots of thrills and excitement around a complicated way of life as the fae try to stay hidden from Death, but with surprising twists and several deadly battles, Olivia, Ryker and her friends can’t be sure who trust either… readers either as the final battle of this part of the story stuns the characters and the readers. This story certainly catches readers’ interest but some of it may leave readers with some questions, like why is Olivia a pixie who suddenly has all these awesome powers, but of course, this is an urban fantasy, so obviously Olivia’s story is not over and readers will learn more as she does.
I've gone back and forth on what to rate this book until I almost lost my mind!

On the one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kept me hooked page after page and left me wanting more of Olivia and Ryker. I'm excited by the story and desperately looking forward to more! Which means pretty much five stars for me.
However, there was something about the way the story was executed that I found jarring and difficult. Time moved strangely, stuff would happen and I'd be confused and thinking I must've missed something when I know I didn't and that meant some things that happened just didn't make much sense... So, three stars.
In the end, I compromised and rated the book four stars for it wasn't perfect, I had my grumbles but all of that was overshadowed by how much fun I had reading it!

The world created by Robson was fascinating. Essentially, the creatures of the fae realm used to live in balance with 'death' - death being another race of various creatures - but for some unknown reason, the death creatures lost any kind of control and started indiscriminately killing the fae, destroying their world/dimension in the process.
Some fae created portals - at great cost and sacrifice - to get to our world, and they live amongst us in secret, hidden from the death creatures (who also slipped into our dimension and continue to hunt them) by magical amulets.
If they lose their amulet, one of the death creatures - in this book it was the Cu Sith - will find them and death is always hungry to devour souls...

he story is told from the pov of Olivia.
Olivia is a spunky and sweet paralegal who happens to be a pixie working at a law firm.
She's quirky and likeable but unremarkable until she does something quite remarkable and then the fun really begins!

The thing about this story is that it's mired in loss.
You feel the helplessness of the fae every time the bad guys strike.
Your heart aches for the characters and all they've been through and all they go through...
Olivia has lost everyone who ever meant anything to her but she somehow manages to radiate hope; Even when she's feeling pretty hopeless!
All the things she goes through to try and help her people when she never wanted or ever asked to be anyone's savior is astounding.
You're 100% behind her and desperately hoping for an end to the slaughter of the fae.

Then there is Ryker... Poor damaged misunderstood, Ryker.
Ryker has suffered a century of utter torment and despite having the power and opportunity to prey on those much weaker than him he stands and fights for them instead... Hoping for it all to end.
He lives, breathes and craves death.
He doesn't know how to live and he doesn't think there is anything to live for... Until a crazy rainbow needs protecting from all who would destroy her.

I'm not going to pretend I totally understand the dynamic between Ryker and Olivia but I love it anyway! I crave more of it. They're complete opposites and yet they're the same. Their relationship was freaking awesome and the fact that it is deliciously slow burn is even more awesome... These two are what will keep me reading book after book in this series.
The world created was cool, don't get me wrong, but the dynamic between Ryker and Olivia was addictive.

Unearthed is a good solid start to a new UF series and if you're a fan of the genre, I'd recommend!

That said, for those that like their UF low on romance I'd caution that while romance isn't front and centre in this book, the romantic potential is off the charts and pretty in your face despite being slow burn... Make of that as you will!

I can't wait to read more of this series!
Unearthed is the first book I’ve read by Cecy Robson. I think it was a great introduction into her imagination and get a taste of the kind of worlds she can build.

The fae are on earth in hiding from their form of Death. They try to live normal lives and use a talisman to hide themselves. The world is nicely setup without overly explaining things. I enjoy that about a first book. The world is introduced as you need to know instead of an information dump.

I envisioned Olivia as a little bit flighty, but she soon proves herself to be more than competent in handling herself and others. When it comes to fighting Death, she is a little bit skittish, but she has a strong will and a determination to save her kind. It’s like she figures if she is who was picked for this job, she better do all she can to complete it. She is serious about her mission. I really enjoyed that about her. When it came to her work or something that was expected of her, she was all in.

Unearthed is a fun start to the Death Seeker series. Olivia is left in kind of a rough place that I’m holding my breath about. Not a cliff hanger, just a situation that will need to be worked out. It has left me excited to see where she ends up next!
This hasn't happened in a while but I have actually read this book in one day!!  I loved the story so much that I just couldn't stop reading.

The story is well written and it got me hooked from the start.

I do highly recommend this.
Unearthed is a story about a Fae named Oliva Finn who has managed to stay hidden from both humans and Cathasach and his hounds for years now. She has always believed that she holds no power, that is until one fateful night when she learn what power she holds, but it also came at a great loss to her as well. And the person who will help her through it all, is someone she never could have imagined and is going to train her to use her powers against the Cù-Sìth. But can she truly trust him?

Olivia came to earth as a child after losing her family to the Cù-Sìth, being Fae means she has to hide who she is from humans, but that isn’t to say that she still doesn’t look like a pixie with her rainbow colored hair, which I just adore by the way. I liked her spunk and sass especially when it came to Ryker. He is a lawyer at the law firm she works at and he just drips in sexiness but also comes across has a grump. He also happens to be “Death” or what most call the Grim Reaper. But beneath all that gruffness he puts out there lies a good man who is in a bad situation, one he wishes he would be freed from.

The world that Robson created was beautifully done and was easy to immerse myself in. There are gremlins, gargoyles, dragons, and quite a few others too that all played a part of the story and we get to learn a little about them as well, what more could I ask for! And the action starts right from the start and doesn’t let up till the every end. I found myself holding my breath so many times during the epic and deadly battles between the Fae and Cathasach and his death hounds hoping that Oliva would make it out. I was so swept up in it all that before I knew it I knew I was the end and wanting more.

This was an amazing start to the series and I am on pins an needles waiting to see what happens next.
4.5

Book source ~ Tour. My review is voluntary and honest.

Olivia Finn is not human. She’s one of the Fae, a pixie living in Earth’s realm ever since Death destroyed her world. She works for a law firm where several other Fae work. They wear talismans to hide from humans and Death. But then Death comes to the firm and everything changes. Word gets out that she’s immune to Death and it’s up to her friends and the King of the Dead to keep her alive long enough to destroy the Fae’s worst enemy, Cathasach and the Cù-Sìth. Olivia is just a paralegal and a pixie, not the savior of her people. How is she going to survive the coming war?

If you like a compelling life or death story sprinkled with humor and hope that is a mix of ordinary human life entwined with the Fae in an extraordinary situation then this is the one for you. A fantastic world and great characters make this one of my top reads of 2019. I fell into the story and didn’t want to return to mundane life when I was done. Livvie is a strong, sassy, and funny character who carries the narrative well. Her sidekicks are interesting in their own right though I hope they get beefed up a bit in future editions. This is a world I could easily dive into again and again. Most excellent!
“It's all rainbows and pixie dust up in this bitch.”- Unearthed, Cecy Robson

I thoroughly enjoyed Unearthed! Olivia is a fabulous main character and I loved her attitude. What drew me to like her right off the bat was the way she talked to her boss Marco. Who hasn't had a boss you have to, shall we say "shepherd", a little?

Her chemistry with Ryker aka Death is off the charts despite the daggers she's glaring at him in the beginning. I loved watching things develop into more.

This book is fast-paced and will keep you interested which is such a good thing right now since I've been in a serious book slump. If you liked books like Abbi Glines's Existence Trilogy or Kim Harrison's Madison Avery Trilogy I think you'll love Unearthed!
A Pixie, Olivia, and the (or one of the) Grim Reapers (Ryker) work to make life or the world a wee bit safer for those that choose to live in it or have come to it for safety from their own world's troubles with Death. That in its self had me interested and then confused at the same time. I wanted to know more about Olivia, Ryker, Death, the Fae. I wanted to know why so many came to Earth in our realm of existence. I was excited to see more of what lead so much to have to so many.

Olivia was likeable until she wasn't. The time losses were a bit daunting. The friends made were entertaining. The idea that Fae would willing come to Earth to live among the common human was page turning. I wanted answers and turned every page to get more. Although I did not feel the book ended with a cliffhanger, I did feel like there was more to the story and the migration of Fae. I look forward to seeing how things all unfold in the series of Death Seeker.

I was looking for more depth and dimension from the characters along with the world that was built around it. I just was expecting more. While it was the first book of the series this will give me more time to hopefully see this world grown and the characters evolve to something more.
I was really curious to discover Cecy Robson’s new series and even more knowing that this time it featured faes and Death. How can we resist it?

So we discover Olivia, a pixie, who works in a law firm run by other companies. But the faes are on earth not by their own will, but more to try to survive the creatures that hunt them all. Olivia has already faced them several times and miraculously escaped alive, yet it seems that this time is too much for her. This is how her world will start to be completely turned upside down. She will have to fight to survive, try to control powers she didn’t think she had, and most importantly, try to figure out how to manage the new role that falls on her without warning.

I had a really good time with the characters and I was really curious to see where things were going to lead us. Because it must be said that our heroes will have to deal with a lot of things. Olivia has a touch of humor that I really enjoyed finding throughout the pages despite everything that is going on for her. What about Riker? He is intriguing, dark, touching and I was curious to learn more about him to see what he was hiding exactly.

It was a very nice first volume and I am very curious to read more as always with Cecy Robson!
Unearthed: A Death Seeker Novel has a premise where Fae creatures have come to earth to escape the Death that stalks their land and devours their souls so they can never rest.  It’s a cool premise to be sure and that was my draw in as I usually enjoy stories with Fae ties and I thought the added touch of death into the story could work really well since most of the time Fae are thought of as practically immortal.

I will have to say there are a lot of things that just weren’t my cup-a.  But first let's talk about what the story has going for it.

1 - Death, well at least this version of Death in the Grim Reaper was hot.  I enjoyed his character and liked the idea that even Death is looking to get out of his gig and wants to be set free.

description

2 - This story has Dragons.  I usually really like the addition of Dragons into a story as Dragons are cool.

3 – Olivia is likable with her love of pink, rainbow hair and prancing Pixie ways.  Even though she was so cliché, she was fun and I liked her.

Now some of the issues I had that made some parts of this less enjoyable for me might sound a bit nitpicky to you perhaps, but they nagged me.

1 – The Fae on earth included Pixies, Dragons, a Hydra, a nymph, a gargoyle, gremlins and elves.  Those are just the things we see. But I don’t really remember Dragons, Hydra and Gargoyles being part of any Fae mythos I’ve read before so they felt throw in willy nilly with no explanation of this Fae world.

2 – And speaking of no explanation, there isn’t exactly any backstory as to why one day Fae’s incarnation of Death decided to start killing Fae who were alive to eat their souls and hunting them to extinction.  It seems like there should be some reasoning there or a prophecy or something.

3 – The office Olivia works in seems like a CW version of a law office if you worked there with kids from your high school.  I mean some of the stuff was a little extreme and out of nowhere. It was entertainingly silly but I had a hard time buying into it.

4 – Vanessa the egg extractor.   Why? Why is there a sentient egg extractor?  What is she for? Why is she at the end during all of the fighting? I have no idea what the purpose of this thing was, why it hummed and why Human Grim Reaper Death has it in a box he took to the battle at the end.

5 – The very YA romance happening/not happening between Death and Olivia.  I want him/her and we can’t be together cuz reasons. The tension between them had its moments but overall it felt YA to me and very manufactured.

And last, but not least, when telling a story in first person I don’t like when the main characters passes out, only to come to later when the battle is over and other things have happened.  I give the author a pass to do this every once and awhile as sometimes it is necessary. But it happened multiple times in the same book and for me that is a huge no no and makes me feel like the author isn’t really trying.

For me this didn’t really work. But for a lot of my fellow reviewers it did and if some of the things I mentioned aren’t deal breakers for you than there is a lot of fun in this story to be had.

The story is entertaining and if I’d just come off of a really tense book, I probably would have enjoyed the levity in this story a little more. As is there were just too many holes for me to kick back and just enjoy the action that was happening.
One of my favorite things about Urban Fantasy is that you get things like a law firm staffed by the Fae. That's where we meet Olivia, a pixie who lost her powers when her family escaped to the human realm. It gets even better when one of her co-workers turns out to be the Grim Reaper. But there are other types of Death in the world as well and they are hunting the Fae.

Olivia discovers that she has new powers that can help her fight the hell hounds that are after her people. Enter Ryker who rescues her and offers to train her. Those scenes remind me of Cassie and Pritkin in the Cassie Palmer series, which I love. Also like Cassie, Olivia is unprepared for the sudden responsibility, in over her head and making it up as she goes along.

I loved the chemistry between Olivia and Ryker. And I liked the supporting characters. Dragons serve the role often filled by vampires in UF of a mob boss type and his muscle, which is a fun twist. And there's a gargoyle, which I love to see. I'm also intrigued by the idea that all these different versions of Death, presumably from different world mythologies, are all in competition for the same souls.

But there a few elements that I liked much less. First of all, first person POV is uncomfortable when the main character is being beaten. And it makes for abrupt ends in the action when that character passes out. I also felt like the villain was scary enough without making threats of sexual violence. They made him seem more human, as opposed to being a monster, which was unnecessary. And then there's this sentient tool/weapon that's just weird and squicky. Maybe its purpose will become clear in a later book?

Still, I enjoyed the book overall. I like where the characters wind up in the end and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.
I’m a huge fan of all things paranormal, and I’ve been reading this author’s paranormal books for awhile. When the chance to read this one came, I jumped on it quickly. Olivia is an interesting character, and I loved the interaction with her boss at the law firm. She was just so take-charge. I was a little disappointed that didn’t translate into her personal life for the thing she’s destined to do. No spoilers! However, she is still a fun, interesting characters. In addition to her, I really enjoyed the side characters, and I am hopeful we’ll get to know them better in the next book/books. The universe was intriguing, but I wish we had learned a little more. Again, I’m hoping for that in the future books. All in all, I really enjoyed this fun beginning glimpse into Olivia’s world and I’m looking forward to more. Recommend! I was a provided a copy which I voluntarily reviewed.