Cover Image: I Confess

I Confess

A real page turner that made me sit up - when lying down - and kept me on my toes - an almost perfect thriller and read
What a fabulous gripping read.

It does start of quite slow, so, please bear with it as gosh, but, it's worth it! The scene is very much set in the first part of the book and then, as it progresses, each character and their motivation becomes clear.

Some friends meet up at Pilgrims Point - off the coast of West Cork, a place that holds years of secrecy, ghost apparitions and local hearsay. It's now the luxurious holiday retreat of Edie and Johnny and they've invited their childhood friends to visit, prior to the opening.
What follows is an excellent tale of friendship, secrets, love, pain and murder. It has some disturbing elements, but, nothing gratuitous and is such a well told story. There are many layers and strings to tie up and all are, very effectively, by the end.

There's also much Irish craic - which I loved. The language may be difficult or frustrating for some, but, for those of us who love it, as I do, it worked brilliantly.
Having been born in Ireland and with an uncle who drove the bus, one of my favourite elements was when a character arranges with a bus driver for them to 'drop off' a boy. I've many happy memories of my uncle saying "och, sure, it's no mind, I'll take you to the door' - different times, yes, but, good to remember they weren't all bad.

So, lots of humour in and amongst this thriller and I absolutely devoured it in one sitting.

Solid 5 * from me and thanks to NetGalley, HarperFiction UK and the author for a fabulous read.
Edie and Johnny have come back to the Beara Peninsula/Ireland with their son and bought the old convent to convert into a hotel. Old schoolfriends are invited to celebrate friends birthday. Tragedy begins, body is discovered, killer is one of them, but who?
Secrets starts to reveal themselves.

Great thriller, accompanied with beautiful location and stormy weather.
This book reminded me of a mystery murder tour! No lights, and a killer among the group. Will you be hooked? You will. You will read it fast, turning pages because you can't wait to get to the answers you are looking for.  A great whodunnit set on the Beara Peninsula, giving a wonderfully eerie atmosphere to the story.
I did not want this book to end! It was more then I imagined it would be! Please do yourself a favor and get this book
Good book by a great storyteller who weaves the stories of the many characters together well.

It is gripping and relatable with each chapter revealing just enough to keep you hooked.
#IConfess #NetGalley
A must read.
Edie and Johnny purchase an old building and transform it into a luxury resort in Beara, an area in south-west coast of Ireland. They invited their friends, Clare, Laura, Helen, Patrick and Murph to their new resort. Each character is hiding a gray shade inside them. They're not what they seem to be. This is not a normal'reunion. Something is going on in the background.
Then a body is found.
Told from different POV's, the story is successful in keeping the reader engaged till the end. I really didn't find who the culprit is. Author has done a wonderful job in creating larger than life characters.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK Harper Fiction for giving me an advance copy.
This book was a real edge of your seat thriller and kept me guessing until the end. So enjoyable - I managed to fly through this in two sittings. Would recommend
This was an enjoyable, fast paced thriller, which had me wondering until it was time for me to find out who was the guilty party.  Tense, chilling, shocking, and full of twists and turns, this book is sure to shake you up in a few spots!  It was hard to put down, because the author seemed to have a formula that kept you glued to the pages to learn more!  Highly recommend to my fellow thriller lovers!
Will make sure I buzz it up on the different platforms!
My first time reading Alex Barclay and this book lived up to all my expectations.  A fantastic psychological crime thriller which has you turning the pages to find out more!

Set in Beara on the south-west coast of Ireland, where Edie and Johnny purchase an old building and transform it into a luxury resort. Having just returned from the US, they invite their childhood friends to stay (now all in their mid-40s) to reminisce and catch up.  The author does a great job of describing the characaters and we get to know them and we learn how the past has shaped who they have become today.

The weather turns nasty, causing a power outage and the subseuqent discovery of a body. From this point on, we feel the emotions brimming under the surface, their true personalities unravelling due to the stress and tension.

This book held by attention all the way through and I will definitely be reading more from Alex Barclay.  Four stars.
A brilliant throughout whodunit had me gripped from start to finish.
 Can't wait to read the next book ,have never read any of this author's books before .
4.5 stars
4.5 stars
I must admit that I was confused for the first quarter of the book , but as soon as I got a hold of what really happens, I was so invested that I have finished it in one sitting.
The story is told in multiple points of view from multiple characters, as in what happens now in present when they get back together and then, many years back and the secrets that everyone is hiding or somehow choose to forget about them over the years.
The story it’s very good, there are so many layers that are unfolded and the author managed to surprise me at times with some turns of events that I didn’t see them coming.
I’ll definitely recommend it for the thrillers lovers .
A group of seven friends are reunited, Clare, Laura, Helen, Patrick and Murph, are all invited to Edie and Johnny’s new luxury resort, they have taken the old convent and completely refurbished it, to become a resort and soon to be spa for holidaymakers.

They want their friends to see what they have done to the place, as well as a chance for them all to get together again, a reunion, to catch up on each other’s lives, they are now 46. At first the drinks are flowing, the group are full of laughter and merriment, reminiscing about the past, but despite this you sense that there is something lurking in the background.

Then the weather changes a storm coming in, the power goes down, and the atmosphere changes, the tension rises. They are isolated, so no going anywhere, a body is washed up. Each character has layers that are gradually Peeled away until they are left bare. Old secrets start to come out. How is the past and present linked? Who is terrorising them? Is one of the group a killer?

The story is told through multiple characters points of view, some in the present, some in the past, as things are revealed. The pages are turned fast as you are soon engrossed in the plot, not knowing what twist and turn is coming next. This is one gripping read, a fast paced ride, the suspense, and tension, building throughout the book. Leading you to a great ending, that you just don’t see coming.

Thank you to #netgalley and #HarperCollins for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest, fair and unbiased review.
Thank you to the publisher for a e-copy of the book.  All thoughts are my own and unbiased.

When I started I confess, it felt like reading someone’s diary.  It felt sneaky, it felt private and most of all it gave me a first-class ticket on someone’s personal ride to hell.  There was a deep undercurrent of evil fizzling through the story, threatening to snap up to the surface, making its presence known, jolting everyone back to the past.   You just knew that something sinister was going to invade everyone’s space.  The cover sent a chill down my spine.

A reunion, seven friends…what could go wrong?

Seven friends reunite, and recount stories of days gone by.  They are marred by past events, what happened?  For many of the seven characters childhood was a battleground.  They drink, become merry, have a laugh, a jibe and reminisce.  It was all supposed to be fun, the lines weren’t supposed to become blurred.  Just how wrong do things need to become for the group to leave and never be the same again?  We all develop and become products of our childhood and adolescence but not allowing it to determine the rest of your life is what is important

Edie and Johnny.  They have renovated a site of remarkable childhood importance and have transformed it into a luxury Inn.  It’s impressive.  Situated in Beara in West Cork they both decided to invest, but not before getting a good friend to give it the once over for them, Patrick.  Great financial strain and paperwork don’t stand in their way and they develop it fantastically.  Where else would be the perfect backdrop for their reunion for her best friend, Helen’s birthday.  Edie is such a kind and caring soul who in my estimation puts incredible amounts of pressure on herself to be the perfect hostess to their friends.  She wants them to love the place, but she also wants her friends to be happy.  Johnny, Edie’s husband is a strange one for me.  He constantly seems on edge and nervy, keeps disappearing into the basement.  He also seems to have a bit of a problem with Patrick.  Just what has gone on between them?  What will transpire as the night goes on?  I went into the novel with an open mind, I let it lead me blind even though I could feel the spirits of days gone past all around me.

The friends, Helen, Laura, Claire, Murphy and Patrick arrive, and you get a sense of pride in their friend.  Each character has complex layers and as the night develops we get to see them stripped bare.  Motives and behaviours being unleashed under stress and panic.  Murphy was by far my favourite character and his uncanny sense of humour which could be devilishly dark and self-deprecating kept the group alive.  Even during the scenes when everyone else was lashing out and becoming more and more defensive, Murphy just couldn’t stop making hilarious comments, probably due to his nerves.  As the night continues on, we get POV’s of all the characters when they were young.  It’s a foreshadowing, its intricate and it just leaves the reader with more questions than it answers.  Things get complicated when the power goes out, the tension is fraught and sizzling with electricity and then they discover a body…

The body is the catalyst for the group to basically implode.  Home truths are thrown around, doubts start creeping into their minds and the fear is palpating around them.  This discovery feels like a ten-tonne weight that seven individuals are trying carry.  It’s heavy, it’s a burden and it threatens to destroy them all.  The past has come back to haunt them.  You can’t outrun your past.  The luxury Inn is where the past becomes the present.  The novel had me guessing until the very end, no-one was safe, everyone was potentially a threat.  Alex Barclay writes with a honed skill that leaves devastation in her path.  She writes every-day normal people with such an authentic sense of foreboding.  I had my suspicions, but I was entirely proven wrong, I liked that the author dropped the mic on me.  I felt the fear, how vivid scenes became, dancing in my vision.

I Confess, is dripping in eerie rawness.  You can feel the clock ticking and your heart racing and the dread creeping up your spine.  A book that will give you papercuts with the speed of the page turning.
Seven friends. One killer. No escape…

A group of childhood friends are reunited at a luxury inn on a remote west coast peninsula in Ireland. But as a storm builds outside, the dark events that marred their childhoods threaten to resurface.

And when a body is discovered, the group faces a shocking realisation: a killer is among them, and not everyone will escape with their lives...

I’ve never read a book by Alex Barclay before but this book was great. It was fast paced and often funny. The characters were well developed and you get to learn more about them through flashbacks which I liked.  Annoyingly the last bit of the book felt a bit rushed and far fetched. Otherwise I probably would have given this book full 5 stars.
Having read all six of Alex Barclay’s Ren Bryce books, I took the opportunity to read her new stand- alone with both hands.
Edie and Johnny have converted a convent from their school days into a luxury Inn in a remote part of Ireland and a group of their forty-something friends meet to admire the result.
The story moves between the voices of different group members and across varying timelines since their school days forward and it is clear from the start that their relationship has been cemented by a childhood tragedy.
It’s a stormy dark evening and relations are fairly strained within the group, but the drink flows and when the power goes down all hell breaks loose.
I love Alex Barclay’s intricate plots and detailed backstories, but with all characters so unpleasant it was difficult to focus as required, and by the time their backgrounds were sufficiently fleshed out, I felt it was almost too late for me.
The informal dialogue, especially the frequent use of ‘Lads’ when the friends referred to one another was distracting, and there was one troublingly violent bedroom scene.
I like to get fully absorbed in a read like this, but even as the action intensified and the body count started to rise, I confess I just couldn’t get there.
With thanks to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK
Loved the premise of this book, I love a good whodunit, but sadly I just couldn't get the vibe in this book, I struggled to.connect to the characters and felt it lacked suspense.

This is just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.

Thanks to net galley for the opportunity to review this book.
Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

An expertly composed thriller from a first-class proponent of the genre.

Being a huge fan of Alex Barclay's and a recent convert to locked room mysteries, I was thrilled to come across "I Confess". Oh and what a joy it was to be rewarded by a tense, atmospheric, character-driven novel. Admittedly, this book took a bit of getting into while the author laid the foundations for the unfolding narrative, but once the ensuing story got into its stride.... I had to read one more page, then another, and another.... Seven friends reunite in a small Irish town still haunted by the death of a local girl in the 1980s. Thrown into the mix is the emotive subject of clerical abuse and the complicated dynamics of friends reunited - pun intended - and we are all set for an explosive, twisty, psychologically well-observed, first-class thriller. Because one of the seven is a killer - but which one? Well, that would be telling. Suffice to say, you won't be disappointed even if you have bitten your nails to the quick, started chain-smoking to cope with the anxiety, or lost a prodigious amount of sleep in reading "I Confess". I certainly was not disappointed by the expertly constructed narrative and creative talents of Alex Barclay. Whilst not the best of Alex Barclay's novels,. this is certainly up there with one of the best I have recently encountered in this genre.

A real page-turner. #Iconfess #NetGalley

Summary:
Seven friends. One killer. No escape…
I enjoyed this psychological thriller and loved the way alternate chapters dealt with the teenage years of each character. We were able to see the past and how certain events shaped the lives of each of the friends through their own eyes. This kept me promising myself I would read just one more chapter until I was so far into the book that I thought I might as well finish it. While there was a certain amount of intrigue here, I was disappointed to learn the identity of the killer so early on. I think the story lost a lot of tension here and left this a good book rather than a great one.
Review posted on Goodreads and Amazon
I really enjoyed reading this tense and exciting thriller from Alex Barclay set in a remote luxury hotel featuring a group of people who had been friends since childhood who gather for a birthday party.
The group quickly becomes aware of a murder at the hotel which they discuss whilst considering the consequences of any actions they take. It becomes clear that the friends are not all thinking along the same lines.  As the story progresses, we learn more and more about the different events in the friends' lives that helped shape their characters to become who they are now. Quite a few shocks later, we learn who the killer is and the efforts to stop him/her are tense and exciting.

There are a good few characters to keep track of which wasn't a problem for me as they all have their own roles to play in the story and personalities with complete back-stories.