Death on Clevedon Beach (A Sukey Reynolds Mystery Book 10)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Sep 2019

Another great book in the Sukey Reynolds series.  This time, she investigates the discovery of a woman's head on a beach and wonders if it is connected to some events she and a friend observed on the way home from holiday.  They seem unrelated but Sukey has one of her hunches, and investigates.  In addition to her professional life, Sukey is also developing new connections in her personal life in her new city.  I really enjoy reading about her adventures and look forward to the next installment!
Sukey is sleuthing again and has another one of her “hunches”. This time she has returned from holiday and investigates a severed head that has washed up on the beach. Fans of police procedurals will love this.
Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Another hit by a wonderful author. This is book 10, and I've read them all in order. Fun way to see the progress of Sukey from taking photos of crime scenes to now being a cop herself. While I liked her boyfriend Jim, and having her son around, I do find that I like her independence refreshing. This one has her returning from a vacation, and seeing a suspicious activity. Later the crew deals with finding a head, then later a torso and the limbs washing up on shore of a young woman. A great English cozy mystery, and one I highly recommend. Eagerly await the next book in the series.
I like this new Sukey! More independent and still as feisty as can be! I am so happy to see where her character is going. She has her own friends and has even taken a vacation! (Only took 10 books!) Once again she goes farther than her job description and once again this is what solves the case. Seems like she gets more support from the new team and I like that she is able to bring her SOCO training forward to help. Sukey is finally developing on her own more as an individual and I like it!
Death on Clevedon Beach by Betty Rowlands is the tenth book in the Sukey Reynolds Mystery series. All of these books in this wonderful series are a cosy police mystery, They are all well written and with a great plot. I just these books. All the characters are likeable and they alway have a good part in these books.

Big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for forwarding to me a copy of this great book for me to read, enjoy and review.
This is book 10 in the wonderful "Sukey Reynolds Mystery Series". I have read the previous 9 in the series and enjoyed every book . I highly recommend this series for your reading enjoyment.. This is the perfect series for all that enjoy a English village setting,  smart protagonist and great mysteries.  Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity to read this next in series. My review opinions are my own..

In this next in series our Detective Sukey is settled into her new job as a official detective and loves where she lives. She is making her way within the department with a reputation for being a savvy investigator.  She faces a new set of challenges when a dismembered women's body washes up on shore in their village. The body has mysterious tattoos that may be a clue to her background. Soon Sukey and team are investigating if this may be  a gang that has infiltrated their little village.  Sukey has the help of her team and is on the right track to solve this mysterious death.

A very well crafted mystery with enjoyable charcters and a lovely setting. The perfect British police mystery as are all in the series.  I highly recommend this book for your reading enjoyment.
4.5 stars. Another gripping “cozy mystery” in the Sukey series. I admit that I haven’t been reading the books in perfect order but this book could easily be a stand alone (readers of the previous books would probably enjoy it that little bit more though). I found this book slightly more gruesome compared to the previous few I’ve read but it wasn’t too bad. I’m liking Sukey more as a character as the series progresses and it’s always fascinating watching her come up with insightful ways to work out who the killer is. The ending wrapped up a little quickly but apart from that it was a very engaging read.

Thanks kindly to Netgalley, publisher and author for the opportunity to read this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Short and sweet, the latest Sukey Reynolds mystery focuses on the CID team investigation after a dismembered woman's body washes up on Clevedon Beach. The case is complicated by a drugs connection and reports of a special tattoo, a single Chinese character that means "Death" found on a couple of their suspects. Are they part of a larger organization and who is the mastermind behind it? No one is talking and Sukey, along with her cohort in Bristol, are looking for the murderer. NO SPOILERS.

As always, I enjoyed this installment in the series that I have read, in order, from the beginning. I've seen Sukey grow both personally and professionally as she's made the transition from SOCO to detective. She's living alone now since her son, Fergus, is away at University and she has broken off her long-term relationship with a former colleague. Is there a new romance in her future? I like her as a character and also find her workmates on the CID team to develop more fully as the series continues. The writing is good and the pace is very effective to advance the story until the case is solved -- usually because of some hunch that Sukey has. Of course she's a bit of a loose cannon and has to be reeled in at times, but hey, she's almost always right!

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for this e-book ARC to read and review. I'm looking forward to reading #11 soon.
Betty Rowlands give us the ultimate cozy mystery series with Sukey Reynolds.  Great characters, interesting community of suspects to pick from and lots of clues that leave you sure that you know who the bad guys are....but I've not got it right in the last 9 books, not sure why I thought I'd get this one right.  Good reading with a touch of class, you gotta love Sukey Reynolds.
👮Sukey's hunches turn out trumps!👍

😍 I love this series;  DC Sukey Reynolds never lets her superior officers pull her away from a good hunch.  Even when she is off duty, Sukey seems to stumble into sticky situations that end up in major enforcement operations and personal danger.  In this story two simultaneous death investigations and some too curious civilians, including the journalist son of her neighbor, keep Sukey and her colleagues hopping.  The more of this series I read, the more I enjoy the characters, the plots and author Betty Rowland's crisp, easy to read writing style.  This is British murder mystery/police procedural at its most enjoyable!😊

Thanks to publisher Bookouture and NetGalley for providing a complimentary advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.
Sukey on a Murderous Trail
This is an excellent addition to the series of mostly cozy police procedural mysteries. The crime portion of the story is excellent with an absolute maze of disjointed evidence and crimes. I love how the characters change and grow through the series. Yet, each book stands alone very well. Now I am ready for the next episode! I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
Death on Clevedon Beach by Betty Rowlands may be the 10th book in the series; but it can easily be read as a "stand alone". Ms. Rowlands is a "new to me" author but I'm excited to have found this series.

I would describe this book as more of a cozy police procedural as the main character is a member of law enforcement and the plot revolves around the procedures that law enforcement use when solving a case. The plot moved swiftly with several twists and turns but very few suspects to investigate. I liked Sukey and admire her determination to follow procedures but to integrate her intuitive hunches into the facts as they are revealed. I look forward to reading more from this author.
4.5 Stars
Sukey Reynolds is back from holiday, feeling happy and relaxed. She and Vicky have been touring the French coast, enjoying the wine and cheese, and soaking up the sun in Brittany. On their way home they stop at a motorway services & see a man acting suspiciously, they later drive passed a motorway accident & the man’s car has been involved. Babk at work Sukey is sent to the charming coastal town of Clevedon, where a woman’s body has been washed up on the sandy beach. Her identity is a mystery. The police are at their wits’ end, and with no leads or suspects, Sukey decides to leaf through old cases. She is shocked to realise this woman is not the first to turn up on the shore and even finds a link between the cold cases: several of the murder suspects had the same decorative tattoo inked on their skin. After some further investigating, she realises the distinctive symbol means ‘death’. Her superiors scoff at her theory, so it’s up to Sukey to prove them wrong and find the devious killer herself.
Another page turning, engrossing read, I love Sukey & how she thinks outside of the box, it seems that there could be a new love interest for her & he also thinks outside of the box too. Sukey as usual ends up with tongue lashings from Rathbone & Leach, oh how I love it when she’s proven right! My only quibble was that I felt the ending was a bit rushed. This is the tenth book in the series but whilst it could be read on its own it is a brilliant series
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
Ten books into the Sukey Reynolds series and we've seen quite a few changes. I mentioned in my review of the last couple of books that they marked a change of direction for the amateur detective, as she finally managed to join the ranks of the CID and become a 'real' detective. This book was in many ways, much more like the first few with Sukey now firmly established with a reliable and returning cast of supporting characters. From that point of view, I enjoyed it much more than her first couple of mysteries as a member of the police.
This time we see Sukey involved in the investigation of a suspicious car crash and a body that has been chopped to pieces and washed up on a local beach. At first glance, there seems to be no connection between the two crimes, but as Sukey looks into them further, there are a couple of things that suggest that there might be a link.
Although the story does revolve around a fairly gruesome discovery, the book still has a level of lightness which means that it isn't particularly hard to read. It doesn't rely upon the horror of the crime or focus upon the stomach-churning aspects of the murder.
On the whole, I enjoyed the mystery, as I always do with this series. I will say that this one did seem slightly looser than the previous stories. There were a couple of leaps that I felt pushed it even for a detective book. There were also a couple of things that didn't quite make sense. A friend of a character in the night club appearing from nowhere for no apparent reason and I'm sure that Sukey's son Fergus was attending a different university in previous books. These are just small niggles and as I've read so many of the books in the series already and so feel Sukey to be an old friend I'm happy to let them go. There aren't many more of these books to come, I'll be sad when I get to the end.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Once again Betty Rowlands has written a thrilling story with Sukey Reynolds. In my opinion this was one of the most engrossing stories in the Sukey Reynolds series. While she is still acting on her famous "hunches", she is really settling in and growing as a detective with the Bristol Constabulary. Though her superiors still don't appear to want to listen to her ideas, that doesn't stop Sukey from being consistent and getting them to listen to her.

In Death At The Library (A Sukey Reynolds Mystery Book 9) Sukey and her colleague Vicky were talking about going on holiday. At the start of this book they are returning from the France and at a car stop after grabbing a hot drink they notice a suspicious character in the parking lot. This brings them into their latest case(s). There are bodies turning up, men with tattoos inked on their wrists, a cast of dodgy characters and incredible helpful neighbours.

This time around her son Fergus gets to play a huge part in helping Sukey solve a puzzling case that has many loose ends. As always Sukey ends up in trouble but this time it's not entirely her fault. Will help once again arrive in time to bail her out and just how much of a dressing-down will she get from her superiors.

An absolutely brilliant read, worthy of more than the 5 allotted stars.
I don't read as much mystery as I do other genres so I've missed Rowland's other books. But I'm going to have to circle back. This is a talented author who knows how to write a good story and characters. Based on one book she's a reliable go-to author. Recommended.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
I missed the book before this one and it seems a lot has changed - no more Jim which is a shame.

This series has really changed since Sukey is now in the police rather than a soco and it is definitely now more procedural drama than quirky, cosy mystery. They have also got wiite graphic and gory in the deaths. I think the covers are a bit misleading.

The title was also not 100% relevant as most of what occurred had nothing to do with the beach - that was a very short scene at the beginning of Sukey returning from holiday.

Thank you to netgalley for giving me an arc.
Book 10 of the Sukey Reynolds series by Betty Rowlands,  and finally Sukey is showing a bit of her earlier spark which seems to of been missing in the last couple of books.

It starts with Sukey and a colleague returning from holiday and seeing a man acting suspiciously by trying to force a package on to a man in a parked car, before they can do anything the men  leave, what happens next is a random. series of accidents & coincidences that lead  to a massive investigation  & in between three is a possible new romance for Sukey.
It’s the 10th book in the Sukey Reynolds’ saga and it’s an unputdownable whodunnit that will make you think as a detective since you will find yourself trying to help Sukey solve the case.

As in her previous books, you will be presented with great descriptions, fast paced narrative and characters that make you feel part of the setting. Looking forward to next in the series!

Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book to read and review.
When returning from holiday you don't expect to witness an argument which results in a major investigation that you become an integral part of. This is what happens to Sukey Reynolds and her friend and colleague Vicky Armstrong on their way home from France.

The man Sukey and Vicky saw becomes a major part of one case but a second distressing investigation means all members of the CID are stretched to the max. Gradually the two confusing cases become a little clearer and closer to each other and with the help of a local reporter Sukey and her team begin to discover the intricacies of what happened and why.

The end was a little disappointing, not the actual whodunnit which was inventive and very well done, but there are a couple of chapters which begin with a precis of quite a lot of information which I haven't seen from this author before and seemed to instantly lessen the tension of solving the two cases. I really like the Sukey Reynolds series and this book didn't disappoint but I hope the use of precis in this way doesn't become a regular occurrence as Ms Rowlands is too good a writer to use this easy way out.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good read which is part of an entertaining murder mystery series.