The Sixth Wicked Child

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 8 Nov 2019

This is book 3 in the series. The first 2 have to be read to understand this. I have been a fan of 4MK and Detective Sam Potter since the time I was introduced to them.

Author J. D. Barker didn't disappoint. Initially I found it difficult to get into the story as I didn't remember the details of first 2, so read through them again. And this book was smooth sailing.

The tension was gripping and the writing brought out the suspense. Truth was overturned when certain facts came to light. The backstory of 4MK and Sam were soon intertwined and that made the mystery escalate.

The twists were mind blowing and showed off the talent of this writer. I had to keep walking while reading the book just to counter the adrenaline rush. This was the best conclusion to the story which kept on my toes since the first book.

A brilliant read.
Really disappointing. I liked the first book in the series,  thought the second was less than impressive, and found this one verging on the incoherent. Full disclosure: I gave up on it at a little less than halfway through when I just couldn't read anymore.

I would say that the narrative makes very little sense unless you've read the first two books in the series, but I HAVE read the first two books and it STILL made very little sense. Maybe this book is just so tightly integrated with the first two books that you must remember all the details from both of them in order to follow this one. Does that make it my fault that I found this book unreadable? Not on your life.

Just not very good.
This one was probably the slowest one of the series for me. Even though there was action right away, it took me a bit to be reeled in.  As Sam has been tracking 4MK all this time, now that he's also become a suspect he even starts to question past events after the shooting which left him with huge memory gaps.  As arrests are made and suspects escape or are released, the stakes become higher than ever as everyone anticipates Anson Bishop's next move.
The final in the 4MK Thriller series is brought to a crescendo of a close in The Sixth Wicked Child. The characters we have got to know over the past few books return, and things are as crazy as ever as we don’t know who to trust.

I’d definitely recommend reading this as part of the series, not as a standalone. I had forgotten a lot of what had happened in previous novels so I struggled to work out who everyone was and what was happening. At over 600 pages, this is also a long novel – I felt like some of it could be cut down, as it took the reader away from the more exciting parts.

However, for fans of the series, you won’t be disappointed at this plot – it’s as complex and impactful as ever. I have no idea how JD Barker kept a grip on all the different parts of the story, but he managed! There are some twists and red herrings to keep you guessing, and it’s an entertaining read with lots of trademark 4MK Thriller craziness – I just felt it could have been trimmed down a little.
I am a HUGE fan of this series, and Barker. This final chapter of the series was superb. I will not share a thorough summary to avoid  any spoilers, but I will say that this book is much longer in comparison to the first three. Overall, the plot moved at an appropriate pace, and the twists and turns were well done. The ending was somewhat predictable if you pay attention throughout the duration of the book, and there are absolutely no loose ends. Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Before I begin my review of this book, I want to stress out that it is the first time in my life that I've read all three installments of a trilogy in succession. It all started with the intriguing and suspenseful "The Fourth Monkey", which I devoured, almost, in just one sitting despite its enormous size (over 500 pages) and after finishing it I felt hooked to the plot's brilliance. So, I continued with "The Fifth to Die" which I found a bit weaker than the first one, though this ascertainment didn't prevent me from relishing the book's intricate storyline which was closely linked with the events that occurred in "The Fourth Monkey". So, in the end, I had only one book left to finish this great crime fiction saga, and I was enthralled to learn that I have been approved for getting a free ARC of this novel through NetGalley. It should also be mentioned that in order to assess properly the "4MK killer" trilogy, it is best to read the books in the right order or you will find yourself lost inside J. D. Barker's thrilling world. Most of the characters appear on all three installments while there are certain key events that the reader should bear in mind in order to fully understand what is happening and why.

Barker narrates his rich, elaborate serial-killer story through multiple perspectives, as he did in the previous two books, and in "The Sixth Wicked Child" Sam Porter, the detective-protagonist that was the leading character so far, shares the spotlight with colleagues (Nash, Claire), FBI agents (Poole) and even the villain(s) themselves. By using that narrative technique, Barker succeeds in accelerating the pace with which the story unfolds and also adds to the gripping, hair-raising tension that permeates the whole novel. This trilogy must have the higher body count I've ever encountered so far in the genre and you literally have to take notes in order to remember all the victims that moreover are dispersed throughout the country, even though the central setting is the city of Chicago. The plot of this book is -perhaps- overly complex and maybe some of the readers will feel discouraged or even tempted to abandon reading, but I strongly recommend not to stop at any cost. All the pieces are falling into place in the finale, one of the most gratifying I've read in a long time. I won't even attempt to draft a synopsis of the plot and I will leave this special joy to the reader.

Of course, reading the "4MK killer" trilogy whetted my appetite for more and I'm considering reading another highly celebrated novel written by J.D. Barker, titled "Dracul", who collaborated with Dacre Stoker the great-grandnephew of Bram Stoker, author of the iconic "Dracula". I feel that this trilogy will be rendered as a classic of the crime fiction genre in the years to come. J. D. Barker proves that American crime writers are always a force to be reckoned with and also that they still can produce magnificent modern crime/thrillers reaching the quality of the classics like Chandler, Hammett, Mcdonald and the others. My, totally honest, 5-star rating concerns the trilogy as a whole, nevertheless, if I absolutely had to choose the best of the three books, I would favor "The Sixth Wicked Child". It is a roller-coaster ride destined to daze and fascinate you.
A thrilling conclusion to JD Barker's trilogy.  This is one of those books that causes you to lose track of time.  Just one more chapter doesn't happen.  The police investigation and pursuit of a killer are unusual enough that I had to keep reading.  Just as you thought you knew what would happen next...another clue pops up to prove you wrong.  I can't wait to see what JD Barker has planned for his next book.
I also read the other before this book.. Again He did not Let me down. I love  J. D. barker books..  the book was outstanding. I would reccommend reading all three books. suspense and an awesome read.
Absolutely fab book! Part of a series I have followed since the 4th monkey! I couldn't put it down. The characters are well developed and have a depth to them that makes them real to me, almost!
The Sixth Wicked Child by JD Barker is the final installment in a trilogy. Wow! This was superb storytelling. This is the trilogy to end all trilogies. The three books in the story about Sam Porter, a detective, and the Four Monkey Killer, better known as 4MK, are probably my favorite series I’ve ever read.  This book tied up all the loose ends and blew my mind. Things were revealed that I could not have even imagined. What I thought was true in other books in the series were not necessarily so in this case. The  book tied up all the loose ends and blew my mind. Things were revealed that I could not have even imagined.  I really hate that it’s over, but I am so thankful that I got the chance to read the book.   Definitely read the series. It is worth your while! Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the ARC of this book. All opinions in this review are my own.
Hear No Evil
For Detective Sam Porter, the words “Father, forgive me” conjure memories long forgotten; a past intentionally buried. For Anson Bishop, these three words connect a childhood to the present as he unleashes a truth concealed for decades.
See No Evil
Found written on cardboard near each body, these words link multiple victims to a single killer—discovered within minutes of each other in both Chicago and South Carolina—clearly connected yet separated by impossible miles.
Speak No Evil
Chicago Metro and the FBI find themselves caught in chaos—a hospital on lockdown, a rogue officer, and corruption at the highest levels. When Anson Bishop, the prime suspect in the notorious 4MK serial murders turns himself in, he reveals a story completely unexpected, one that not only upends the current investigation, but one that will change the lives of all involved.
Do No Evil
With unrelenting tension and pulse-pounding suspense, the past unravels at breakneck speed as the truth behind the Four Monkey Killer’s motive is finally revealed in this masterfully crafted finale.

Wow!!! This was a ride and a half with all the twists and turns here.
Amazing conclusion to this wonderful series.
The plot and story were excellent and so gripping I was unable to put it down at all
The characters were so well fleshed out and believable.
I love this entire series and can't wait to see what the author brings us next!!
Recommend highly!!

Thank you to NetGalley and Hampton Creek Press for the ARC! I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
A brilliant conclusion to a brilliant series. With the tension and intrigue building page by page, I was unable to put the book down, finishing the hefty tome in a matter of days. JD Barker has yet to but a foot wrong and this book was no exception. with each book in the series getting more twisted and the plot dragging you down deeper and deeper. This was a great read.
I am literally dizzy after finishing this book! And I mean that in the best possible way. My only regret is that I didn't reread the first two right before starting this one as of course I couldn't remember all the characters. But once again I was drawn in immediately as the pace is like being on the biggest roller coaster imaginable! I particularly loved the chapters of Bishop's diary entries as they piece together what happened in the past and connect it to the present. How Barker kept all these details straight is a mystery in itself; I understand how (in the author's note) he needed to keep post-it notes all over the house as this is such a multi-layered novel that I couldn't read much in one sitting as my head was full! And like many of his fans, I too, hope those notes in the little white boxes will re-surface as another novel as you can never get enough of 4MK!
This was such an amazing read that I couldn’t put it down. It went everywhere with me. To the doctors office, the dentist, the eye doctor. IT WENT ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. I was so sad when it ended that I immediately went and bought more books from this author!
Oh what a wickedly wonderful book. I read along and I go "I know who did it, then nope now I don't. then you read on and you are positive you know who dod it and again you were wrong! this is a pretty good size book so you have lots of time to play arm chair detective and I hope you have better luck than I did. It is a great book, Thanks J.D. Barker
After reading the first two books in this trilogy, I was excited to begin the final instalment of Barker's 4MK series.

I had to bare in mind that it was quite some time ago that I started the series, and hoped I'd be able to get a recap and refresh of the story so far when starting this one.

Unfortunately I don't think the author really considers the gap between his book releases and to say I struggled to get to grips with who was who and where the story had got to is an understatement!

I read well over half, hoping it would hook me back in like the other two books, but I wasn't getting the enjoyment from it that I'd hoped for. I'm so disappointed, but I had to call this a day because I'd simply lost the plot!

The best part of this was the diary format sections in the voice of Anson Bishop, I could of read an entire book based on this alone.

I felt that the book lacked the refresh required to improve my reading experience. It was so long and drawn out, it could easily of been cut down by a few hundred pages. The size of it was daunting and this also added to my reading displeasure.

I absolutely LOVE all the other Barker books I've read, 5 staring them and feeling utterly engrossed by his writing style and characters. This one just didn't work for me, to the point where I've lost interest in finding out the conclusion.

I am still rating this as 3 stars as I read enough to fairly review it, I just think this was a case of 'it's not you, it's me.
Wow! What an ending to this masterful trilogy. As excited as I was to finish this book I was also dreading it to be over. This story had me constantly guessing who was telling the truth and who was lying. It had me holding my breath as the final scenes played out. One of the best series out there! Thank you to NetGalley and Hampton Creek Press for the ARC!
Wow what a brilliant read. Such a lot to take in. A long book in over 600 pages but not a breath wasted.

You'll need to remind youself of how the previous one ended as this takes off from there at such a high speed.

As the book progresses, the true story (or at least what we are lead to believe is the true story) unfolds, and most (not quite all) of your assumptions go out the window. Then you get to what think is the final twist, and a couple more come thick and fast.

Well written, a journey or two that obviously took a lot of planning, breath taking and wonderful.
The conclusion of JD Barker's trilogy was just as thrilling as the second book. Building up on the cliffhanger, I was taken by the premise and could not let go until days later when I reached the end, which was unexpected, although not completely satisfactory.
I am definitely expecting the next book from Barker to be another page-turner, and with as much character development as this one.
If you haven't read any books in this series, do not attempt to read this one as your start. You will be confused and totally not understand what's going on.
Captivating and a real page turner, this one did not disappoint.
A brilliant end to a brilliant series.
Read this series i loved all 3 books brilliant brilliant brilliant