Cover Image: Ted Bundy: The Only Living Witness

Ted Bundy: The Only Living Witness

This book was really good I enjoyed reading it I could not but it down when I started reading it the 2nd book by this Author I have read of Ted Bundy would definitely recommend it 👍👍👍👍
I read Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer by these authors so I couldn’t resist reading this. There is quite a bit on Netflix and tv about Bundy but personally I prefer to read. It’s thirty one years ago since he was executed so it’s very fitting that I read this now. I found this to be a complex and interesting read. Although I usually read books quite quick I didn’t with this one. I needed time to pause and take it in. A chilling read that will stay with me for a long time. Brilliantly written I can’t fault this at all.
One of the scariest books I have ever read. Bundy has always attracted a huge amount of interest, and this is arguably one of the best books on him. How Michaud and Aynesworth were able to carry on with the book, as they were hearing the horrific confessions in the third party, I really don't know.
If you only read one book on Ted Bundy, make it this one.
This book was originally published in 1999 and is a compelling read made from interviews with Bundy during his incarceration. At this point, everyone interested in true crime knows the story of his crimes and hearing it in his own words is chilling and highlights the ugliness of humanity.
I am afraid to say that I am fascinated by everything to do with Ted Bundy. He was such a horrible evil man. I was not disappointed with this book, I do not want to give too much away but this book is compelling, intriguing and a must-read. REcommended.
This is an interesting true crime book, that fans of the genre will enjoy (if enjoy is the right word here...) reading.

I now know more about Ted Bundy than I ever thought I needed to know! This book doesn't skimp on the details of his murders (although it wasn't the most gory of true crime books that I've read, which is a bit of a relief) and the details of his trials. The book begins with the victims, their names, their stories. This is important; in my opinion they are more important to remember than Bundy himself. Then we get into Bundy's story as he commits his crimes, and then the long, drawn out process of his trials and appeals.

I went into reading this with very little knowledge. I know Bundy's name, and that he was a serial killer, but that was pretty much it. The writers of this book interviewed him, so some of it is actually in his own words. It's interesting, to see how his mind worked, how he perceived the world. Ultimately though, my take away from this is that there's nothing 'special' or even particularly 'twisted' about serial killers. They're just angry, selfish men (for the most part) who like to control women and want to get their own way.

I prefer reading about crime for the puzzles. How the detectives figure out the case, put the clues together, track down the culprit. I found the first half of the book very interesting in that respect. The second half, which is about Bundy manipulating police and lawyers, and trying to control the outcomes of his trials, was less interesting to me, but it would probably be fascinating to people with an interest in that side of true crime.
I don't feel like it's necessary to produce more and more versions of the same story over and over again. Ann Rule produced (in my opinion) a comprehensive accounting of Bundy's crimes. This in conjunction with the Phantom Prince by his then girlfriend, Elizabeth Kendall, provides the whole picture for me. This book wasn't necessary.
i enjoyed reading this well written would recommend i had watched different things about ted bundy on various tv programmes but i prefer to read i think connect more with people or characters in books than you can on tv
Ted Bundy is a name that's synonymous with American serial killers; a true psychopath. A name that conjures up images of depravity, heinous slaughter of women, and a 20th-century monster. The epitome of the 'serial killer' term. A name that's spawned as many films as books, Bundy's narcissism, escape techniques, matinee star good looks and debonair charm courted controversy in the courts, and on television, giving him an almost stardom status. This book debunks the myth and delves into the psychopathology of Bundy's psyche, a treat for any fan of true crime.

Stephen G.Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth give a first-hand account of one-to-one interviews with Bundy taken within his cell with a tape-recorded, as he gives a 3rd hand account of his crimes and his time on the run. The more in-depth the interviews become, the more you realise the sheer scale of just how psychotic, narcissistic and psychopathic Bundy was.

The prose is well-written, police procedural understandable, and well-paced as the USA police cross counties in search of Bundy's almost hobo like tendencies. The book ends with Bundy finally reaching the electric chair. The only shocking thing is how he got away with it for so long.
Oh I loved this!! Bundy, like many other serial killers before and after him fascinates me! What makes someone commit such atrocities is beyond me, so by reading or watching tv programmes about Bundy who appeared to live a normal life running parallel to his heinous monstrous side, I try to understand!
Well written,  it covers most of what we know - but with some new information from interviews and it continues right up until his death.
Excellent!
This book unfortunately wasn't my cup of tea so I did end up DNF'ing the book. I was attracted to the plot of this book but unfortunately did not meet my expectations.
I chose this book because I had heard about Ted Bundy, a prolific serial killer in America, but knew little about him.  I hoped this would include some first-hand accounts of what and why he did the crimes.

The authors were given access to talk to him, so much of the text is indeed in his own words.  However, he was a clearly damaged individual with no concept of guilt or taking responsibility for his actions.

The book follows a rough chronology, and paints an accurate picture based on testimony from witnesses - the few lucky girls who escaped being captured, usually because they became suspicious and followed their instinct to run - as well as his family and Bundy himself.  The result is heartbreaking and spine chilling.  One feels many became victims because they were too polite to walk away from this charming man.

Bundy was finally captured and tried for a fraction of the 30 murders he eventually admitted to.  I was extremely angry to learn the authors conspired to allow him to marry the deluded woman who believed he was innocent and wanted him as a role model for her son!   How the family who's daughter had been murdered felt to see the trial hijacked to allow this travesty of a marriage to take place by subterfuge in the court, I cannot imagine.  And then the prison authorities allowed the prisoners access to their visitors so she ends up pregnant!  Unbelievable!

The book is generally well written, although occasionally there is some poor sentence structure (almost as if transcribed notes have been poorly copied) which jolts the reader.  The authors make much of their role in drawing Bundy out, but at the end one feels Bundy played everyone, he only told what he wanted to and manipulated everyone around him all his life.

A very interesting read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Mirror Books for allowing me access to the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this very in-depth look at Bundy's crimes. I wasn't fully aware of the extent his crimes went to. I know Netflix did the Bundy tapes or something, but this gives a really good insight on his life.

Overall, I rate it five stars. Well written, very informative and if like me (probably the only person) you are aware of Bundy but not how severe his crimes were, I'd recommend this book.
In the past year or so I've gone from not having a clue who Ted Bundy is to watching various documentaries and films about him. I found this book to be much more thorough than anything I've watched which I'm glad about. I was a little worried when I started reading it that it would just be the same information as that used in the documentaries but there's such a depth of information in this book and it left no stone unturned when describing the life of Bundy.. even going into detail about his childhood and possible mental illnesses which could be to blame for the way he was.
I read a lot of true crime books and this while insightful was somewhat spoilt for me by having seen the Netflix series first.

Two journalists with unprecedented direct access speak to Ted Bundy and those closest to him - friends and family.

What follows is a candid and chilling full account of the life and crimes of the most notorious serial killer in history. Eminently readable and an insight into one of the most prolific serial killers in history.

What Bundy had to say in over 150 hours of face-to-face interviews is as relevant today as it was at the time, although he never discussed his part in the crimes just "speculated" what the killer would have done.
2.5 star rating.

I’m a huge fan of true crime.

Ted Bundy has been one of those serial killers I have taken an interest in.

I must admit, I did not enjoy this read as much as I thought I would. That is only because everything I read, I already knew. I think with also watching the documentary on Netflix as well meant this read felt like a repeat.

However, if you are new to true crime this is defiantly one read to start with. Fascinating.
A truly insightful book into the mind and actions of Ted Bundy. It is written by two authors who actually interviewed Ted whilst he was on death row and some of the book is from what was said in those interviews.

It is a really interesting book about the life of Ted Bundy; in and out of prison. The way the authors had to work with Bundy to get him to talk and turned it into a game is sickening, but they explain that in a way Bundy is still very childlike in his actions.

There is a lot of information about the murders in the book but there are also some enlightening passages that have been researched and is very well written. I have learnt a lot more about Ted Bundy reading this book. It is a must read for any true crime fans but also a good place to start for Ted Bundy novices.

Thank you to Netgalley/ Stephen G. Michaud, Hugh Ayneworth/ Mirror books for the ARC in return for an honest review.
Ted Bundy is arguably one of the most infamous serial killers in America. There have been numerous books written about him and his killings as well as documentaries and films.  “Ted Bundy: The Only Living Witness” was written with close cooperation with Bundy and includes details of several interviews between the Authors and Bundy following his convictions.

Regular readers of my blog will know I have a love of true crime and, for me, it’s always important to keep the victims at the heart of the story and not to glorify the crimes that the book is about. Michaud and Aynesworth have steered clear of out and out glorifying Bundy but I do feel that there are hints within the book that they maybe became a little too close to Bundy.

A lot of time is giving to Bundy’s hypothetical stories about what the mysterious killer might have been thinking and doing at various points, which was clearly part of Bundy’s compartmenting process in order to protect himself from the reality of what he had done. I understand they must have kind of been in a difficult position as they were hired by Bundy to tell his story and in order to keep the access they obviously needed to keep him on side but at one point Michaud describes how he helped Bundy with the arrangements for his impromptu wedding to Carole Boone during the sentencing stage of his trial for the murder of Kimberly Leach. This “wedding” made a mockery of the court process and I don’t think they should have been proud of being involved in it. The authors also tried to posit possible psychiatric diagnoses to explain Bundy’s behaviour and normally the underlying causes are of interest to me but in this case all of these can only ever really be guesswork as he was adamant he was sane and wouldn’t cooperate fully with psychiatric evaluations.

There is also a lot of leeway given for Bundy to talk his way out of responsibility. Although Bundy always maintained that he was completely sane he does refer to an entity within him that made him carry out these crimes.

Taking all that aside, the content and writing style did keep me gripped, even though I knew most of the information already, it was just the tone that sometimes made me feel a little uncomfortable. There were also a couple of oblique references to Ann Rule, Author of “The Stranger Beside Me”, which struck me as a little odd. There was no great need to refer to her so they could easily have not bothered if they didn’t want to mention her for whatever reason.

It’s certainly not my favourite book about Bundy; I didn’t feel I really learnt a great deal about the case or the victims and the tone wasn’t right for me. If you don’t know anything about the Bundy case and are looking for a starting point it would certainly give you that but there are other books out there that would do it better.
“Ted Bundy’s wearying saga of waste, failure, and death had one villain and no heroes.”

Many consider Ted Bundy as a “quintessential” serial killer in all his pathological, skin crawling, predatory infamy. I think this book gives as thorough a picture as any could of the man behind the shameful crimes, and it does so by linking evidence, information from people who knew Bundy, and material given by Bundy himself in taped interviews with the journalists, Hugh Aynesworth and Stephen G. Michaud. Interestingly, the authors used a version of good cop, bad cop through the conversations they had while Bundy was on death row in Florida in the 80s.

This is not the first time Michaud and Aynesworth have written books on Ted Bundy and I was unsure whether there was anything new in this version. I read one review that felt this was a rehash of their old book, though I can’t confirm that. If it is, the authors and publisher should be clear about that. Having said that, I haven’t read the other books but I can say I found this one detailed, worthwhile and well-written (hardly a given with true crime books). I learned a lot of things about Bundy’s life, death, and about the lives he destroyed through this book.

The book makes for harsh and frightening reading at many points. If I were Michaud or Aynesworth I’d probably need to make money from the books to pay for therapy because I think it’s one thing to sit safely at home reading, but another thing entirely to hear it straight from the killer. I know it’s the job of a journalist but I felt sorry for what the authors went through. I think it was Aynesworth who described feeling sickened by Bundy’s diatribes but having to cover it up in order not to deter him from continuing. He later vomited and drank in his room until he fell asleep. It would unnerve and chill the soul.

Bundy’s ideas was given obliquely with him telling the interviewers what he thought a third person might do, or might have done. He flatly refused to incriminate himself until the last week before his execution when he finally made some flat statements of guilt. You have to remind yourself he’s a manipulative liar. Still, there seems to me to be a lot to learn from the exchange of information between Bundy, Michaud and Aynesworth.

There were moments that didn’t sit well with me regarding the writers. First, the title refers to Carol DaRonch who escaped Bundy’s car in Utah in 1975 but having that in the title suggests that the book is focused more on DaRonch and it's not the case. Next, the authors paid for the gold wedding rings that Bundy and Carol Boone used to get hitched while he was in prison. I get that if you’re working with a serial killer, there will be grey areas, but they knew he was guilty, so…grr. Another time I cringed when the authors wrote “In the deluge of tips and hysterical outpourings from frightened women…” Really? Hysterical is such a loaded word. Finally, moving on from the writing and on to the legal system itself: Bundy was able to examine his own victims in court because he was representing himself. It just seems OUTRAGEOUS. No wonder they call the law an ass.

I don’t believe Bundy was the ultimate intelligent killer based on the detail given in this book. Under the surface, I think he was a sad man addicted to violence against women leading him to take brazen chances which, when they paid off for him, helped secure his mythology. It was a fascinating book though, and I’m glad to have a more realistic picture of Ted Bundy.

Thanks to publisher, Mirror Books, the authors, and NetGalley for my copy of the book in return for honest review.

For more of my thoughts on Ted Bundy, see the full review posted on The Long Hot Spell blog.
This was an intriguing and interesting read. It is hard to read in places as Bundy’s crimes are talked about. There is a lot of information packed into this book.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.