The Cabin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 1 Nov 2019

Brilliant scandinavian crime fiction.  I find the author has an ability to provide minute detail without making anything pedantic or boring.  I loved the Katherina Code and looked forward to reading this, the second book in the series - both are stand alone -.  The author brings a level of descriptiveness that draws the reader into the country and this is interesting itself as well as providing an excellent murder mystery.  I am looking forward to more from the same author.
I loved the Katharina Code by Jorn Lier Horst, which was the first outing for Chief Inspector William Wisting, so was really relishing the second in this series. It certainly sucked me in quickly and, like the first book, sees Wisting’s journalist daughter Line drawn into the case. When an eminent retired politician Bernhard Clausen dies, Wisting is tasked with conducting a covert investigation not into his death but what was found in his beach home - the Cabin. Coincidentally a maverick policeman Adrian Stiller from the cold case team is re-investigating the disappearance of Stephen Meier who lived in the same neighbourhood as the Clausens. The plot is further complicated by an airport robbery which occurred at around the time of Meier’s disappearance. The author has a forensic eye for detail which makes this series so worth reading and his characterisation is really engaging. I actually loved The Cabin more than its predecessor and am forward to the third! Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin UK for the ARC.
A very good read.  I always approach a Scandinavian crime thriller with some trepidation knowing they can be somewhat slow, full of snow and names you cannot understand or remember.
The Cabin does not fall into this group.  If I can use wine as a comparison you can say many Scandinavian thrillers are like a deep red wine, drink slowly to appreciate.  The Cabin in my opinion is like a fresh, crisp white wine.  It moves along at a very good pace, never gets bogged down in snow and maintains interest throughout.
Having said that I have to admit I did not get involved with, or understand any of the main characters and a big twist at the end failed to materialise.
Nevertheless a very good book and well worth 4 stars
Readers familiar with the investigations of Norwegian detectives Wisting and Mortensen will surely enjoy this latest outing. The author again manages to weave a credible story around a cold case linked to the death of a politician that will entertain whilst providing just enough mild peril for members of Wisting’s family to add to the tension without plunging into the darker depths of the more extreme Scandi Noir offerings.

A combination of a well paced narrative, an idiosyncratic lead character and an excellent translation provide an entertaining read that will encourage the reader to read quickly to see how the different strands resolve themselves. This will appeal to readers familiar with Horst’s previous work as well as those who come across this team for the first time. Highly recommended.
This is a well told story and I loved the atmospheric feel.

When Simon disappears not one person knows where he is or what happened to him.

Chief inspector William Wiesting is called in to investigate the murder of Bernard Clausen and soon funds a connection between the two cases.

This is an edgy read and flowed beautifully. I loved the unfolding drama and how the two cases came together.

Recommended read
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
First time reading this Author and thoroughly enjoyed the story  well thought out and  rather  intriguing  can highly recommend
A thoroughly engaging tale, right from the start. This is a well written and interesting story. It doesn't have any great reveals or plot twists but still keeps the reader keen enough to get to the conclusion. The main character seems to be quite likeable, although I found his daughter and granddaughter to be a little annoying.  Not my usual Scandi- noir, but still worth anyone's time.
This is the second of the 'Chief Inspector Wisting' books that I've read, and I enjoyed this one as much as the previous one.

Bernhard Clausen, a former Member of Parliament for the Labour Party has died, and Wisting has been given a secret case to investigate, forming his own team around him. Wisting's daughter (Line) is again involved, this time on Wisting's terms.

But, there is danger lurking, where from is not obvious. Another case overlaps Wisting's and the investigation starts to get very involved.

Line follows up on a previous journalists investigations and obliquely involves the woman in the case. This helps Line move her work for her father forward much more quickly. Meanwhile a Kripos cold case investigator wants to learn what Line knows about it too!

Jorn Lier Horst still tells an exciting story that keeps you along for the trip to the end.
Definitely a book that I would recommend to someone that I know, they are a keen Wallender 'follower'. I'm sure that they would like it.
Another outing for Inspector Wisting and his daughter Line, she is an investigative journalist who he tends to co-opt into his investigations.  Set in rural Norway North-west of Oslo a senior government minister is found dead at his summer cabin.  In the cabin is found a huge amount of cash and Wisting is ordered to conduct a confidential investigation into where is came from and whether the minister is guilty of a crime.  The story moves at a good pace with plenty of action.  A good read.
Thanks to Net Galley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cracking addition to 'The Cold Case Quartet' by Jorn Lier Horst. With a strong storyline and a main detective who is refreshingly free of the usual detective tropes, Horst has created an engaging, complex thriller. I loved the book much to my own surprise, given that any in-depth characterisation of the main protagonists are surprisingly sparse in detail. In any other novel this would be a let down for the reader, with the author lambasted for his one-dimensional characters, but in Horst's second instalment of 'The Cold Case Quartet' the plot driven focus of the story is what makes this a standout thriller. Simply put its about the story and nothing else. 'The Cabin' has a stripped down feel to it that loses none of the atmosphere that Nordic Noir is known for. Moreover, Horst never for one minute neglects the mystery at the heart of the book, which is a satisfying one involving the death of a high-profile politician, a robbery and the disappearance of a young man in 2003. How these plot strands overlap is what draws the reader into Horst's world as a former senior detective in the Norwegian police. On a final note, Horst's main protagonist, Detective Inspector Wisting has been compared to the fabulously realised Detective Wallander of Henning Mankell's imagination but this would be disingenuous. Wisting is refreshingly different from Wallander in that he acts as a trojan horse for the story and not the story itself.

In short, if you want a book that is more about its excellent plot and less about its main protagonist's quirks then this is the book for you.

5 Stars.

Summary:
15 years ago, Simon Meier walked out of his house and was never seen again.
With no leads, the case quickly ran cold. Until now.
Because one day ago, politician Bernard Clausen died. And in his cabin on the Norwegian coast, police make a shocking discovery.
Boxes of bank notes, worth millions of dollars. Collecting dust.
Chief Inspector William Wisting thinks it could link to Meier's disappearance.
But solving both cases will mean working with an old adversary, and delving into a dark underworld - which leads closer to home than he could have imagined . . .
Politician Bernard Clausen  has died of natural causes but when police go to his cabin they find boxes and boxes of euro's, dollars and pounds. These boxes look as though they have lain untouched for years.
Where have they come from?
Chief Inspector William Wisting is on the case but it soon becomes apparent it is connected to the disappearance of Simon Meier ,  a fisherman who vanished 15 years ago.
Can he solve it and at what cost to him and his family?
Some hidden money is found after a politician dies. Chief Inspector Wisting has been called in to investigate  the death and finds links to a cold case from 2003 when Simon Meier went missing. The  money found in the cabin is believed to be linked to a local robbery which had also taken place several years ago. Wisting's daughter, Line is helping out with the investigation. Are the cases connected?

This is the first book that I have read by the author.i also did not k ow that it was part off a series. The story has a slow but steady pace until we get to the final chapters where it starts to speed up. The interpretation is first class. As the layers unfold, the more interesting this book becomes. The characters are well rounded and believable. The plotline is perfect. There is also someone else after the money and they're not adverse to using violence to find it. I really liked this book.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Penguin UK - Michael Joseph and the author Jørn Lier Horst for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is the second book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. Interesting characters and an intriguing plot. A good few twists and turns and a satisfactory ending. I look forward to the next book in the series.
This book was excellent!
Chief Inspector Wisting is a grat character to follow and this time his daughter came into the picture as a helper too, so solve 2 cases. One was a robbery in a cabin, which gives the title of the book. The other was about the disappearance of a man around same time, long time ago.
There are many twists and turns in the book. The pacing was perfect and I loved every second of it.

Thanks a lot to the publisher and Netgalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Chief Inspector Wisting allows his daughter to assist as he works to solve two cold cases -- one a robbery, after Kr 80 million in banknotes is found in the cabin (of the title) and the other is the disappearance of a man about the same time (15 years ago). Several twists and turns as the Inspector with his team methodically follow the evidence.
This was my first discovery of Chief Inspector Wisting and I requested it without realising this was not the first book with this character.   However this didn’t spoil my enjoyment of The Cabin and in fact will encourage me to seek out the previous titles.

I was originally drawn to the curious hook of the mysterious haul of money and relished how it was cleverly woven through a missing person’s cold case and the death of a politician.  It was difficult to put the book down as I wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery.

The cover design is also very eye-catching.
My second novel by Jorn Lier Horst, the first being The Katharina Code. Chief Inspector Wisting is called upon to investigate the death of a politician and the case is linked to a cold case from 2003 when a young lad went missing never to be found. In the politician's home, a load of money is found believed to be the proceeds of a local robbery which also took place many years ago. Wisting's daughter Line, helps him with his investigation. Full of twists and turns and lots of police procedures, I thoroughly enjoyed this Nordic crime and Jorn Lier Horst is becoming a favourite of mine.
Author Jorn Lier Horst was a real life policeman, eventually becoming head investigator in Larvik, Norway, where he has set his series featuring William Wisting, who is himself Chief Inspector in Larvik CID. So there is an air of authenticity that runs right through the gripping narrative, in this, the second in the Cold Case Quartet.

Simon Meier disappeared 15 years ago, but apart from the occasional unconfirmed sighting of him, the trail has gone cold.

Politician Bernard Clausen was found dead just yesterday at his summer cabin. Though there are no suspicious circumstances regarding his death, it’s the large stash of cash (80 million kroner to be precise!) that was discovered at the scene that has investigators scratching their heads. Now, how these two individuals were connected, despite the passing of the years will have to be ascertained by Wisting, and it won’t be easy. Where did the huge amount of money ( all of it in old bank notes from the period that Simon disappeared) come from, and what happened to Simon?

Due to the sensitivity of this case, involving as it does a respected politician, Wisting has to keep this investigation very much under the radar, and he enlists a small team of trusted colleagues, as well as his investigative journalist daughter Line.

This was an extremely complex investigation with many characters and many suspects, it was brilliant on the small detail yet still creating and retaining tension, and whilst many books are judiciously edited in these times of reduced attention spans, this one wasn’t, and yet there was not one superfluous turn of phrase. The characters were well fleshed, the investigation was intelligently carried out and completed, and furthermore it was completely gripping, coming as it did with some heart stopping moments, particularly for Line. And finally to our protagonist Wisting, here we have a law enforcement officer who doesn’t believe police work gives him the right to be judgemental - I think that’s a wonderful trait, and I think he’s wonderful too! Highly recommended.
I really enjoyed The Cabin ,I had previously read The Katarina Code and loved it so was looking forward to reading the second book in the series and I wasn't disappointed.Chief Inspector William Wisting is again called to investigate a cold case that goes back to 2003 Simon Meier left home and was never seen again .When a famous Politician dies something extraordinary is found in his cabin ,so Wisting is told to undertake a confidential investigation .Are the two cases linked ?The story is a slow burner but this made it for me all the more interesting as there were more details and I could feel involved .The story speeds up in the final chapters drawing the book to a satisfactory conclusion  .I can't wait to read the next book in the series .Many thanks to the Publishers the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .
This is the second book written with these characters and I enjoyed it very much. I have to say that the names of people and places in Norwegian take a bit of getting your head round,, but the story is good.  The characters are good and it cracks along at quite a pace, for what is actually a slow-burn story.
I would recommend this book. It has a nice feel of being set “somewhere different”.